Comics With Real Life Value

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
Comics With Real Life Value

Post by StarBrand »

I've been wanting to give Vietnam Journal a try for a while now. It's a comic book series that was written and drawn by Don Lomax, and published by Apple Comics in the late eighties into the early nineties. I finally picked up an issue. I bought and read issue 7.
I've never read anything like it before. The cover had the symbol for POW MIAs on it, showing an underlying motivation right away. For the most part the story flowed well. I thought it could've used a bit more editing to help it do so better, though. There was a lot of excellent character development. It had brutal scenes, stuff I'd heard happened in Nam. Inside was a full page picture of an American POW, and another page had an accompanying story that makes one wonder about the way the U.S. government acted in regards to missing soldiers during that time. Also was a letter denoting a conspiracy relative to JFK having ordered the end of the war, his then assassination, and the subsequent Johnson presidency and extension of the war in Vietnam. The letter made the often-heard allegation that the war was to aid American big business, with an alleged business relationship to President Johnson and the war also shown.
This comic may have been the single most passion-driven comic I've ever read. Mr. Lomax was clearly on a mission. I'll be looking to pick up the rest of the issues over time.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Comics With Real Life Value

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:I've been wanting to give Vietnam Journal a try for a while now. It's a comic book series that was written and drawn by Don Lomax, and published by Apple Comics in the late eighties into the early nineties. I finally picked up an issue. I bought and read issue 7.
I've never read anything like it before. The cover had the symbol for POW MIAs on it, showing an underlying motivation right away. For the most part the story flowed well. I thought it could've used a bit more editing to help it do so better, though. There was a lot of excellent character development. It had brutal scenes, stuff I'd heard happened in Nam. Inside was a full page picture of an American POW, and another page had an accompanying story that makes one wonder about the way the U.S. government acted in regards to missing soldiers during that time. Also was a letter denoting a conspiracy relative to JFK having ordered the end of the war, his then assassination, and the subsequent Johnson presidency and extension of the war in Vietnam. The letter made the often-heard allegation that the war was to aid American big business, with an alleged business relationship to President Johnson and the war also shown.
This comic may have been the single most passion-driven comic I've ever read. Mr. Lomax was clearly on a mission. I'll be looking to pick up the rest of the issues over time.

I have a good selection of the Apple war books and they did seem to be pretty intense as you might imagine. i will at some point have to jump on board with the trades.

:thumb:

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

I picked up one of those DC black and white newsprint books reprinting the first 25 or so Unknown Soldier stories from Star Spangled War Stories. The beginnings and ending contained the morals. Good stuff.

The most real, raw, and morally accurate portrayal of war has to be from EC. Pick up a copy of The EC Archives: Shock Suspenstories Volume 2. The story "In Gratitude", written in the 1950's, really was quite progressive when it comes to race relations. Most of the EC staff were WWII or Korean War vets. Truly some great stuff from them.