What superhero film have you ever enjoyed the most?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: What superhero film have you ever enjoyed the most?

Post by BugsySig »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:The Watchmen.
I love Watchmen. Some hated it, but I think it's amazing. I'm officially replacing my choice of 300 with Watchmen. Can't believe I forgot about it! The Directors Cut incorporating the Black Freighter animation and more Night Owl I is just about perfect IMHO.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Double post.
Last edited by iwantvaliant on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

BugsySig wrote:
I love Watchmen. Some hated it, but I think it's amazing. I'm officially replacing my choice of 300 with Watchmen. Can't believe I forgot about it! The Directors Cut incorporating the Black Freighter animation and more Night Owl I is just about perfect IMHO.
We agree on things way too often.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
We agree on things way too often.
That's just what comes with being right most of the time :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

The Dark Knight was as close to a perfect movie as you can get. My wife and I both left the theater inspired to do more with our lives. The production of that movie was simply phenominal. Not something I can just pop in and watch a whole bunch though.
For other favorites, the first ones that came to mind were
Iron Man (the best of the Phase 1 flicks, IMO)
300 (which I stop to watch every time it's on tv)
X2 (Which I DID watch countless times!)
Donner Superman 1

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

lorddunlow wrote:
nutflush76 wrote:The Dark Knight

Batman Begins, Avengers, Man of Steel, Richard Donner Superman in that order.

I had to put Dark Knight up on it's own line to differentiate how much better than all the others it is. The other movies may be great superhero films, but Dark Knight is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Big ol' +1 to that!
Cyberstrike wrote:The Transformers: The Movie (1986) I can litterally quote every single line spoken in that movie, and while it's far from great movie it's still a lot of fun to watch.
I also love that movie. I was a big Transformer's freak in the 80s.

I do think we may need to have an intervention with you, Cyberstrike. You may have slight Transformers problem :kidaround:

You're 29 (going on 30) years too late. :lol:

In all seriousness The Transformers has gotten me into interested in so many hobbies from comics to anime to various live-action movies to video games to sci-fi to music even pro-wrestling! :o
They all have some weird ties to The Transformers that sometimes even makes me wonder.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

The Dark Knight and The Avengers. And Unbreakable which is THE superhero movie.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

BugsySig wrote:
Oooh, I need to watch that version then. :hm:

I enjoyed Watchmen, thought it was a really terrific adaption of the book. I need to watch the Director's Cut version of Daredevil. Heard that the additional scenes made the movie slightly better overall.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

I forgot to mention X-Men. I have a sentimental attachment to this film because this is the first film I watched on the exact opening day because I was in the US at the time. And I really really believe that X-Men is the film that made superhero-comic book based movies critically acceptable to the general movie-going public.It started the trend towards respectability and box office success.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

erwinrafael wrote:The Dark Knight and The Avengers. And Unbreakable which is THE superhero movie.
:thumb:

I love Unbreakable, and so wish they had made the sequel they had in mind.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

leonmallett wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:The Dark Knight and The Avengers. And Unbreakable which is THE superhero movie.

In hindsight, I am kind of happy that they did not because M. Night Shyamalan lost his muse.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

erwinrafael wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

In hindsight, I am kind of happy that they did not because M. Night Shyamalan lost his muse.
But as a counter-point you get instances of directors with uneven output across their careers (Woody Allen; Joal Schumacher; Ridley Scott; Spike Lee all come to mind).

So maybe Shyamalan *could*, just *could* (willful optimism here!) have a good sequel to Unbreakable in him. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

Avengers . . . and it's not even close for me . . .

I am very easy going when it comes to comic movies . . . I really do love them all . . .

I watch them all on my ipod at work while I do data entry and I have seen them all multiple times . . .

It just succeeds for me on every level . . . all the little details (Odin's ravens, Hulk's reflection in the screen from Banner's face), the things Joss fit into that movie and it not feeling forced is just incredible . . .

As a side note . . i really loved the full director's cut of Watchmen . . . just outstanding . . old Nite Owl's death should not have been cut out of the original cut IMO

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I think Xmen 2 is my all-time favourite... Others may be critically better but I sincerely enjoy that one, it feels like the one superhero movie that has managed to get as close as possible to the feel of the comics it is based on. And it even got me back into collecting Uncanny (circa issue 424?) for the first time since I last quit at #300.

Other top favourites include Iron Man (1), Watchmen, Dark Knight, Superman 2 (Donner), & XMen: First Class.

Honourable mention to Raimi's first Spider-Man for the same reasons as Heath mentioned, and Transformers: The Movie ('86) for similar reasons to Cyberstrike - I can clearly remember the day I got to see it in the theatre & I get the same thrill of the huge impact it made on me back then when I watch it now, and I can also quote damn near the entire thing whenever I do watch it.

'Such heroic nonsense.'
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:I think Xmen 2 is my all-time favourite... Others may be critically better but I sincerely enjoy that one, it feels like the one superhero movie that has managed to get as close as possible to the feel of the comics it is based on. And it even got me back into collecting Uncanny (circa issue 424?) for the first time since I last quit at #300.

Other top favourites include Iron Man (1), Watchmen, Dark Knight, Superman 2 (Donner), & XMen: First Class.

Honourable mention to Raimi's first Spider-Man for the same reasons as Heath mentioned, and Transformers: The Movie ('86) for similar reasons to Cyberstrike - I can clearly remember the day I got to see it in the theatre & I get the same thrill of the huge impact it made on me back then when I watch it now, and I can also quote damn near the entire thing whenever I do watch it.

'Such heroic nonsense.'

Once I actually quoted every spoken line of dialoge in The Transformers: The Movie from memory it took me about 2 hours to do it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

String

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:I think Xmen 2 is my all-time favourite... Others may be critically better but I sincerely enjoy that one, it feels like the one superhero movie that has managed to get as close as possible to the feel of the comics it is based on. And it even got me back into collecting Uncanny (circa issue 424?) for the first time since I last quit at #300.

'Such heroic nonsense.'
Lucky, lucky.

In my area back in the 80s, it was almost a sin to show any animated film that didn't have Disney attached to it somewhere. So I never saw Transformers Movie on the big screen nor the GI Joe movie nor the Akira movie. Didn't get to see any of them till they were released on VHS.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:Once I actually quoted every spoken line of dialoge in The Transformers: The Movie from memory it took me about 2 hours to do it.
That is seriously pretty awesome. :thumb:
String wrote:

'Such heroic nonsense.'
Lucky, lucky.

In my area back in the 80s, it was almost a sin to show any animated film that didn't have Disney attached to it somewhere. So I never saw Transformers Movie on the big screen nor the GI Joe movie nor the Akira movie. Didn't get to see any of them till they were released on VHS.
That really sucks, man! Oddly, I can't specifically recall seeing the GI Joe movie in the theatre but I'm pretty sure I did... as much as I love the Joes, Transformers had a much bigger impact on me in general.

And as for Akira... I would love to see that in a theatre, I only got into it much later in life, somewhere in the mid-nineties. [I'm currently only missing two of the original graphic novel issues to complete my set of 38, and I have refrained from reading it until i get the set - been working on collecting them for at least 6-7 years now!]
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Hellboy 1 and 2!

Dark Knight

Swamp Thing, for nostalgia.

Non-hero:
Ghost World
American Splendor

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Not the "best", but the one that had the greatest impact on me....

(One of my favorite lines from a movie ever...)

"Kneel before Zod..."