Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Post by nycjadie »

That is awesome. I can't get anything like that here. Kudos!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So jealous...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

wallywest
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot

Post by wallywest »

I had quite a few issues in the 200s (probably about 60), some issues in the 100s, and a handful under 100 to start the year. I have made it a personal point to get all issues from 20 - 375 this calendar year. I am now down to the following:

Certainly doable. Most of these I acquired while avoiding eBay, but I have grabbed a few that way. I am not an ultra high grade collector. Silver Age stuff is largely between 4.0 and 6.0, but I have some lower grade stuff. These books just simply aren't that rare in the grand scheme of things. That doesn't mean demand doesn't outstrip supply, but you can get them if you are willing to allocate the cash. The last convention I went to, I scored like 25 issues under 100. But, I had cash, and wasn't terribly picky on grade.

It's a fantastic run. I can't wait to get my last six issues, so I can focus on the first 20. I have 5, 14, 15, and 17 so far. But, like I said, not a major focus.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

How are the um versions valued compared to the regular books?
ASM Crossover Home

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

You mean UK? I think all UK books are cheaper because they're not considered original, although they are quite a bit more rare. Who knows maybe one day the discount will change to a premium, like the image UPC boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Good luck on the collection! I just sold my AF15 and ASM 1-700 collection about 3 years ago. I still miss it. It was a lot of money and work to put the collection together. It was the neatest thing I will have ever owned in my life.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

You inspired me to go back through storage and catalog what i've got will report back soon :)
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've continued to slowly pick away at filling in gaps in my ASM collection through the year - in addition to my earlier posts here about looking for all the Hobgoblin appearances, my main focus has been issues between #200-#319. Mostly been getting any I find in my lcs's $5 bargain bins, which is not all that many.

Recently found a handful of McFarlane issues for $5 apiece (303, 305, 313 & 319), and last night I *finally* got a copy of #252 (1st black costume in ASM). I have wanted that issue for a very long time but never pulled the trigger on getting one. My lcs had a really sharp newsstand copy for $50 that I couldn't pass up.

And, when I got it home I opened it up to find a Ron Frenz signature on the first page! I *think* it's authentic, but can't be 100% sure. Does it ruin the value of a book to have an unverified signature in it?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Top of my ASM "want to buy" list is still 238 & 239, as well as 285 and now 298 & 299 (never had a copy of those McFarlane's). Also keeping an eye out for those issues in the 250's with The Puma appearances.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

grendeljd wrote:I've continued to slowly pick away at filling in gaps in my ASM collection through the year - in addition to my earlier posts here about looking for all the Hobgoblin appearances, my main focus has been issues between #200-#319. Mostly been getting any I find in my lcs's $5 bargain bins, which is not all that many.

Recently found a handful of McFarlane issues for $5 apiece (303, 305, 313 & 319), and last night I *finally* got a copy of #252 (1st black costume in ASM). I have wanted that issue for a very long time but never pulled the trigger on getting one. My lcs had a really sharp newsstand copy for $50 that I couldn't pass up.

And, when I got it home I opened it up to find a Ron Frenz signature on the first page! I *think* it's authentic, but can't be 100% sure. Does it ruin the value of a book to have an unverified signature in it?
It's probably authentic. Years ago --- before the rise of CGC signature series --- most serious collectors obtained creator sigs. on the splash page to avoid ruining the cover/collectability.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

i have a few books like that never relly got why on a interior page til lya spelled it out
a few spidey mcfarlane books over the years location has perks in phx his stuff is everywhere

good grabs for sure

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I've had a number of surprise signature findings lately on the 1st page. Love it!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

hulk181man wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I've continued to slowly pick away at filling in gaps in my ASM collection through the year - in addition to my earlier posts here about looking for all the Hobgoblin appearances, my main focus has been issues between #200-#319. Mostly been getting any I find in my lcs's $5 bargain bins, which is not all that many.

It's probably authentic. Years ago --- before the rise of CGC signature series --- most serious collectors obtained creator sigs. on the splash page to avoid ruining the cover/collectability.
Makes sense - thanks for the info, man!
nycjadie wrote:I've had a number of surprise signature findings lately on the 1st page. Love it!
The best surprise sig's I've ever stumbled onto like this were the Byrne & Austin sig's on the first page of an Uncanny Xmen 109 that I picked up at a con. :thumb:

I only find it weird when the seller doesn't mention it. I doubt they missed them when they graded the book, so... they clearly think maybe people won't buy it for full price if there's an unverified sig in it? :?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

That's very cool. I don't think JOhn Byrne regularly makes it to cons.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

grendeljd wrote:Top of my ASM "want to buy" list is still 238 & 239, as well as 285 and now 298 & 299 (never had a copy of those McFarlane's). Also keeping an eye out for those issues in the 250's with The Puma appearances.
I might have all of those issues, let me check and get back to you...

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

GGSAE wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Top of my ASM "want to buy" list is still 238 & 239, as well as 285 and now 298 & 299 (never had a copy of those McFarlane's). Also keeping an eye out for those issues in the 250's with The Puma appearances.
I might have all of those issues, let me check and get back to you...

Cool, please do!! :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote:That's very cool. I don't think JOhn Byrne regularly makes it to cons.
Yeah, I think you're right. I wonder how long ago they might have signed the copy of 109 I got. How long has cgc been around for now? If it's an old tradition to sign inside, predating the graded slab era...

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Huge ASM acquisition this week - thanks to GGSAE for a few, as well as a lucky trip to my LCS on Wednesday wherein I spotted a 9.2~9.4 copy of ASM #238 with the lakeside tatooz intact!

I had a good pile of store credit saved up for something special after selling off my set of early SAGA issues a few months ago, and this one was the one. It was well worth it to get this virtually for free!!!!!!! I was seriously having doubts about ever picking up Hobgoblins first appearance, as the price is climbing.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

grendeljd wrote:Huge ASM acquisition this week - thanks to GGSAE for a few, as well as a lucky trip to my LCS on Wednesday wherein I spotted a 9.2~9.4 copy of ASM #238 with the lakeside tattooz intact!

I had a good pile of store credit saved up for something special after selling off my set of early SAGA issues a few months ago, and this one was the one. It was well worth it to get this virtually for free!!!!!!! I was seriously having doubts about ever picking up Hobgoblins first appearance, as the price is climbing.

Just an FYI, I believe the same tatooz in 238 are found in an issue of FF as well.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Huge ASM acquisition this week - thanks to GGSAE for a few, as well as a lucky trip to my LCS on Wednesday wherein I spotted a 9.2~9.4 copy of ASM #238 with the lakeside tattooz intact!

Just an FYI, I believe the same tatooz in 238 are found in an issue of FF as well.
Are they Spider-Man logos as well in the FF issue? I have heard that they were in another book as well but don't know much about it. I was able to see the tattoo through the insert via shining light through it - I'm fairly confident it's original to my copy as the staple is not directly lined up on the spine, has a hint of light rust and doesn't look tampered with.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I'm hi-jacking Dunlow's thread some more... I recently [re]acquired an ASM #100, and for the first time I sprung for a #194 [first Black Cat!]. Neither are in top condition, but I'm just happy to have a copy of them.

I had an ASM #100 about 20-25 years ago but sold it once when I was strapped for cash.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:I'm hi-jacking Dunlow's thread some more... I recently [re]acquired an ASM #100, and for the first time I sprung for a #194 [first Black Cat!]. Neither are in top condition, but I'm just happy to have a copy of them.

I had an ASM #100 about 20-25 years ago but sold it once when I was strapped for cash.
Even though you're a Canadian, I'm glad to see this topic get some activity since I stalled out on my collection due to running out of room in my allotted area for comics (I'm still adding VEI - just sort of piling everything in a corner much to my wife's chagrin.)

The major books I want to get soon are ASM 121-122, ASM #194 (I love Black Cat), and ASM 298-300 (Venom is also a favorite of mine).

The ASM 121 is third of my top 3 affordable ASM keys that I must have. (I got the first appearance of Gwen in #31, so I need her death; and #50 I purchased just before the Daredevil show shot that issue into the stratosphere - has it ever come down?) I have a poster of the 122 because that cover is too great.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I'm hi-jacking Dunlow's thread some more... I recently [re]acquired an ASM #100, and for the first time I sprung for a #194 [first Black Cat!]. Neither are in top condition, but I'm just happy to have a copy of them.

Even though you're a Canadian, I'm glad to see this topic get some activity since I stalled out on my collection due to running out of room in my allotted area for comics (I'm still adding VEI - just sort of piling everything in a corner much to my wife's chagrin.)

The major books I want to get soon are ASM 121-122, ASM #194 (I love Black Cat), and ASM 298-300 (Venom is also a favorite of mine).

The ASM 121 is third of my top 3 affordable ASM keys that I must have. (I got the first appearance of Gwen in #31, so I need her death; and #50 I purchased just before the Daredevil show shot that issue into the stratosphere - has it ever come down?) I have a poster of the 122 because that cover is too great.
298-300 (especially 300) are getting pricey right now due to heated speculation over the upcoming Venom movie. I've been wanting a better replacement for mine, but now is not the right time to buy it!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

grendeljd wrote:
nycjadie wrote:That's very cool. I don't think JOhn Byrne regularly makes it to cons.
Yeah, I think you're right. I wonder how long ago they might have signed the copy of 109 I got. How long has cgc been around for now? If it's an old tradition to sign inside, predating the graded slab era...
The first comic I ever "collected" was X-Men 126. I got it signed by Claremont last year and checked to see where I could get a Byrne signature. Apparently nowhere. He hasn't signed his old books in a verrrrry long time, and won't even do it when you dangle big bucks in his face.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

depluto wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
The first comic I ever "collected" was X-Men 126. I got it signed by Claremont last year and checked to see where I could get a Byrne signature. Apparently nowhere. He hasn't signed his old books in a verrrrry long time, and won't even do it when you dangle big bucks in his face.
*sigh* ... Ever the curmudgeon he is in his later years... that sucks man.