Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Post by grendeljd »

Just picked up a copy of ASM #46 today, first appearance & origin of The Shocker! I used to have this issue when I was a teenager but sold it a long time ago. Nice to have it back in my collection - it's the lowest number of ASM I own.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:Just picked up a copy of ASM #46 today, first appearance & origin of The Shocker! I used to have this issue when I was a teenager but sold it a long time ago. Nice to have it back in my collection - it's the lowest number of ASM I own.
Nice! I always like Shocker. Was really disappointed at his "appearance" in the new Spider-Man movie. Early comics always feel like a little piece of history. I leaf through my ASM #31 every once in a while. I love the ads.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Just picked up a copy of ASM #46 today, first appearance & origin of The Shocker! I used to have this issue when I was a teenager but sold it a long time ago. Nice to have it back in my collection - it's the lowest number of ASM I own.
Nice! I always like Shocker. Was really disappointed at his "appearance" in the new Spider-Man movie. Early comics always feel like a little piece of history. I leaf through my ASM #31 every once in a while. I love the ads.
I was a little disappointed in his appearance in Homecoming as well - but only because they killed the first guy off so fast, and the second guy to take it up didn't get to do too much. I hope they use him in a future sequel. I did like that his jacket had the classic yellow quilted sleeves.

I really liked that movie a lot, by the way. On first pass I was feeling like I'm getting too old to watch movies about teens in high school, but on multiple viewings I've enjoyed it more & more. Tom Holland is an excellent choice to play Spidey, I hope he does a bunch of Spidey movies in addition to any appearances in any Marvel Studios releases!

And yeah, it's really cool to look at comics from 50+ years ago and get a sense of the culture of the era. The ads are really fun to check out. I just bought an issue of EERIE magazine from 1973 for an artist friend's birthday, and at his b-day party we were all pouring over both the art *&* the ads in equal measure. :cloud9: :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
I was a little disappointed in his appearance in Homecoming as well - but only because they killed the first guy off so fast, and the second guy to take it up didn't get to do too much. I hope they use him in a future sequel. I did like that his jacket had the classic yellow quilted sleeves.

I really liked that movie a lot, by the way. On first pass I was feeling like I'm getting too old to watch movies about teens in high school, but on multiple viewings I've enjoyed it more & more. Tom Holland is an excellent choice to play Spidey, I hope he does a bunch of Spidey movies in addition to any appearances in any Marvel Studios releases!

And yeah, it's really cool to look at comics from 50+ years ago and get a sense of the culture of the era. The ads are really fun to check out. I just bought an issue of EERIE magazine from 1973 for an artist friend's birthday, and at his b-day party we were all pouring over both the art *&* the ads in equal measure. :cloud9: :lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Bringing this thread back from the dead since I got my first addition to my collection courtesy of a Christmas present from my wife. Amazing Spider-Man 194 First Black Cat. Definitely one I've been wanting to pick up for a while.

Now I need ASM 121/122 and I'll have the keys that I want the most. Minus ASM 300 which I'll likely never pick up.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202112 ... 2b74b4.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Woohoo! You can always get that ASM 300 reprint that came out in the last year. A great placeholder!

I do that with some of those early X-Men.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Congrats on getting that ASM #194! Glad to hear you’re still picking away at your collection (even if this one was a gift!).

I just nabbed a copy of ASM #210 at my LCS today that was in great shape - looks to be about a 9-9.2! I think I mentioned elsewhere recently that I was aggravated by the speculator spike in value on this issue as I had passed on a few chances to get one for $10-$20 a few years ago… this copy I just got was $90, which actually feels reasonable considering how much people are trying to get for it on eBay!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Add #122 to my list thanks to a not astronomically overpriced shop at Megacon today.

They had a great #121, but I couldn't drop almost $600 on it. It was a very nice copy, though.

They had some #238s with tattoos, but I didn't bite on those either. Image

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

lorddunlow wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:36:36 pm Add #122 to my list thanks to a not astronomically overpriced shop at Megacon today.

They had a great #121, but I couldn't drop almost $600 on it. It was a very nice copy, though.

They had some #238s with tattoos, but I didn't bite on those either. Image

Very nice

Always nice to see someone add to their collection

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Well, my wife gave me one of the best gifts I've ever received and a comic that I've been wanting for a long time.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

It's also my first graded comic.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

SouthernComicGeek
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar Volume 3
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith

Post by SouthernComicGeek »

lorddunlow wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23:38 pm So, as far as iconic comic characters go, Spidey's my favorite. Spiderman and X-Men were the only non-Image, non-Valiant, non-Indie stuff I bought back in the 90s. The "end" of Amazing Spider-Man at issue #700 (I know it's been a marketing gimmick and they'll probably restart the numbering as if it never changed) put a thought in my head. If I were to try to obtain of full run of any long term comic, it would be ASM. This would be a long term thing, of course. Just pick up issues when I find them.

I'm asking if anyone thinks this is feasible and advice on how to go about it. Also, what are the REALLY hard-to-find/expensive books in ASM that might shut me down on completing a full run?

I figure if obtained 1-700 I would make Amazing Fantasy #15 the icing on the cake at some point in my golden years.

I just think it would be cool to have something that I'm constantly working towards.

p.s. Definitely not interested in the CGC route if that makes any difference (although I figure for the more pricey ones, any copy in good shape will probably only be available slabbed).
It's fun to be on the hunt and organically complete a run like that. Meaning that If you happen to see an item at random online you can buy it but you aren't puprosefully buying on sites like Ebay. It's harder for sure but takes longer and is more rewarding. When I completed my Uncanny X-men run I bought here there and everywhere so I finished much quicker and it left me wondering what's next. So when I started my Hulk I did it "organically" it run it took longer but left me feeling more of a sense of acomplishment. If that makes sense. I kow a few people that have Amazing Spiderman to current so it is doable. Especially if you aren't a grade snob.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Congrats on a pretty nice looking copy of 121 - that really looks very sharp other than the one tear on the spine side! Super awesome gift from your significant other! :clap: