teach my girls about DC and Marvel comics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
teach my girls about DC and Marvel comics

Post by Elveen »

So my girls and I have been playing the Marvel Lego game on the wii U. And they have mentioned that want to start reading more comics. Now they have read a bunch of comics, but it was mostly kid stuff...... I think they might be ready to step up a bit.

So............

What would be some good Marvel and DC stories that would teach them about both universes? We talked for a few hours tonight (as we were playing the game) about the back stories of different characters (some I knew and some I did not.... for example, Sandman (Spidey) I have no idea of his back ground)

Any stories, TPBs to recommend? Maybe some TPBs?

thanks

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: teach my girls about DC and Marvel comics

Post by leonmallett »

How old are they? I ask, because tonally I would not encourage kids to be reading a lot of what I have read of the DC New 52 (which is admittedly limited, and has become increasingly limited due to that seemingly pervading tone). Trying to make sense of the new DC back story is a bit of a mess IMHO.

If the grils are a bit younger, maybe some of the Marvel Adventures line books? Not canon though, and don't neccessarily explain back story though.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

What I have read of Hickman's Fantastic Four seems safe for kids (those who have finished the run can confirm) and with Franklin and Valeria, there are characters they can relate to. Early Spiderman is good too.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Knowing their age would be helpful, plus what you feel may be appropriate material for them.

If you want give them a basic understanding/background of both universe, then I would go for the classics. Lee/Kirby's FF, Lee/Ditko's and Stern's Spider-Man, any trade of Claremont's X-Men tenure, trades of Shooter's and Stern's Avengers, Layton's Iron Man, Simonson's Thor.

For DC, Wolfman's New Teen Titans, Batman Year One (while not totally dark, a good basic start for understanding who Batman is), CoIE gives a wide view of the DCU both old and recent but not sure if you feel they would get confused over the multiple universes, any of Bryne's Superman, Perez's Wonder Woman, not sure about Justice league, never really been that big a fan of the team.

But I would shy away from the Nu52 at the moment, it is rather dark and violent.

Last, Lego Marvel is a terrific game. I haven't stopped laughing since I started playing it. Hearing the old Merry Marvel Marching Society song as the end credits scroll by, priceless. :lol: :clap:

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I have never read them, but I wonder if DC's Supergirl or Superboy could be a logical next step from the kids books? Probably full of teen angst, but I don't know how violent they are. I agree Teen Titans might be another good choice. None of these would help them learn about the universe. Heck, I don't think I ever understood the DC universe! :o

Fun times, indeed!

Michael
Mkb28

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

mkb28 wrote:I have never read them, but I wonder if DC's Supergirl or Superboy could be a logical next step from the kids books? Probably full of teen angst, but I don't know how violent they are. I agree Teen Titans might be another good choice. None of these would help them learn about the universe. Heck, I don't think I ever understood the DC universe! :o

Fun times, indeed!

Michael
Mkb28
The New 52 Supergirl is going to join the Red Lanterns which given that they are the Lanterns of Rage I have a bad feeling that book won't be safe for young readers much longer.

You should check Peter David's 80+ issue series (the series ran 80 issues but had quite a few annuals and specials) it is IMHO the best series DC has ever published. If you really want some Marvel family friendly books check out Marvel defunct MC-2 line including: Spider-Girl, A-Next, J2, Wild Thing, The Fantastic Five, and many more.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Sorry I forgot their age.
I have twin girls that are 11, in 6th grade.
I think the new 52 is too old for them.

I was thinking about things like Secret Wars and stories like that where they will get exposed to a bunch of characters. I would like to stay from stories that have a bunch of death. I think books like long Halloween and Hush are a bit old.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Elveen wrote:Sorry I forgot their age.

I was thinking about things like Secret Wars and stories like that where they will get exposed to a bunch of characters. I would like to stay from stories that have a bunch of death. I think books like long Halloween and Hush are a bit old.
If you are prepared to step away from the main Marvel universe, I cannot recommend Spider-girl and MC 2 highly enough. Lots of tpb's and a nice array of characters, and books I would show to an 11 year old.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

leonmallett wrote:

If you are prepared to step away from the main Marvel universe, I cannot recommend Spider-girl and MC 2 highly enough. Lots of tpb's and a nice array of characters, and books I would show to an 11 year old.
What is MC 2?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Elveen wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

What is MC 2?

It was a Marvel imprint set in a possible sort-of 15 years from now future of Marvel comics, although drawn as though present day. the core character was Spider-girl, Mayday Parker, the daughter of Peter and Mary Jane all grown up as a teenager. Most issues were done in one, even if part of a larger arc. Her first series ran to 100 issues, the second volume 30 issues (maybe slightly more). Then there were other legacy characters like American Dream (female legacy of Cap); Darkdevil (ties to Ben Reilly and Daredevil); Buzz (ties to J Jonah Ja,meson and nods in design to Yellowjacket's costume and some others); J2 (Juggernaut's son); Sabreclaw and Wuild Child (Wolverine's kids) and many many more. Fun comics IMHO.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Secret Wars is a great series to start with I think. Then they get exposed to a lot of different Marvel characters and decide who they want to learn more about. John Byrne's Fantastic Four, Claremont's X-men, any Amazing Spider-man from 1 to 350ish, Avengers from 200-300 are all classic runs in my mind that give a good understanding of the characters of the Marvel U. Also the first run of the Ultimate titles are a good way to introduce the main Marvel characters.

On the DC side of things starting post-Crisis is probably best. Batman from 400-475ish is pretty classic. Byrne's Superman re-boot, George Perez's on Wonder Woman, Green Lantern Emerald Twilight, Wally West as the Flash and Wolfman-Perez on Teen Titans. The Justice League of Giffen DeMatteis MacGuire might be a little too mature, but it is definitely classic.

The black & white Marvel Essentials and DC Showcases are a great way to try some stuff out on the cheap and see what they like. Also alternatively you can find a LOT of the older stuff digitally.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

leonmallett wrote:
Elveen wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

What is MC 2?

It was a Marvel imprint set in a possible sort-of 15 years from now future of Marvel comics, although drawn as though present day. the core character was Spider-girl, Mayday Parker, the daughter of Peter and Mary Jane all grown up as a teenager. Most issues were done in one, even if part of a larger arc. Her first series ran to 100 issues, the second volume 30 issues (maybe slightly more). Then there were other legacy characters like American Dream (female legacy of Cap); Darkdevil (ties to Ben Reilly and Daredevil); Buzz (ties to J Jonah Ja,meson and nods in design to Yellowjacket's costume and some others); J2 (Juggernaut's son); Sabreclaw and Wuild Child (Wolverine's kids) and many many more. Fun comics IMHO.

Here is the MC-2 Checklist. :thumb:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Do not give them any of the classics (Lee/Kirby, even the good books up to the 1980s), they are too dated. I have not seen any of my young nephews respond to those. There is too much generation gap.

Give them Ultimate Spider-Man. That, based on my experience, is appealing to the sensibilities of the tween crowd.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Give them some indie stuff. Much less likely that there a crossover with some other series and they miss out on some of the story.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

lorddunlow wrote:What I have read of Hickman's Fantastic Four seems safe for kids (those who have finished the run can confirm) and with Franklin and Valeria, there are characters they can relate to. Early Spiderman is good too.
Definitely! Hickaman's FF is awesome :thumb:

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

Some fun books for 11 year olds are:

Marvel:
-Spider-Girl
-Ultimate Spiderman
-New warriors
-Hickman's FF run
-Excalibur

DC:
-Waid and Johns' Flash run
-Impulse