The Bat-Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: THE BAT-THREAD

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:That really cool "Curse Of Clayface" cover reminds me - a good friend of mine just had a gallery showing in Austin Texas for a huge series of Batman posters that he did based on episodes of The Animated Series. You'd probably dig them, 'Tuga!

Here's a link to an interview with him on iO9 about it - there's photos of several of the posters throughout the article;

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-best-batman ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WOW!!!!! :o :o :o
Amazing stuff there, man!!!!! I mean AMAZING!!!! Any BTAS fan go and check this!!!! The Joker's Favour one is particularly insanely cool, but ALL of this is awesome stuff.
http://phantomcitycreative.com/?our-wor ... ies-boxset
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:That really cool "Curse Of Clayface" cover reminds me - a good friend of mine just had a gallery showing in Austin Texas for a huge series of Batman posters that he did based on episodes of The Animated Series. You'd probably dig them, 'Tuga!

Here's a link to an interview with him on iO9 about it - there's photos of several of the posters throughout the article;

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-best-batman ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WOW!!!!! :o :o :o
Amazing stuff there, man!!!!! I mean AMAZING!!!! Any BTAS fan go and check this!!!! The Joker's Favour one is particularly insanely cool, but ALL of this is awesome stuff.
http://phantomcitycreative.com/?our-wor ... ies-boxset
Yeah dude - he is *really* good. Amd everything in that link you posted was from an older album/poster boxed set - I think he did a total of 15~16 new ones for this recent show.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I figured you'd like it :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Here is another interview with Justin, this time at BirthMoviesDeath. I think there are a couple more new posters shown in this one;

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/14/ ... -the-anima" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:Here is another interview with Justin, this time at BirthMoviesDeath. I think there are a couple more new posters shown in this one;

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/14/ ... -the-anima" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THIS is one of the best things related to BTAS I ever had the pleasure to see. And as a self-proclaimed expert on all things BTAS, my opinion is really important!!!! :lol: Seriously, these posters are terrific- I love how he got the spirit of each and every episode portrayed. Like The Man Who Killed Batman. Or Demon's Quest. Or this one above. Wowowowowowow!!!!!!
Later down the road, I will definitely grab one of these, I really need to replace that Star Wars IV framed poster that reminds me of 4 titted sea-cows.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Just a heads-up to everyone who likes Mignola's work on the Dark Knight. Contains Sanctum, that I mentioned earlier.
I'm getting this, of course- will be great to have a TPB filled with Mignola's covers not to mention the actual stories. :lol:

THE DC UNIVERSE BY MIKE MIGNOLA TP
Written by NEIL GAIMAN, JOHN BYRNE, PAUL KUPPERBERG, ROGER STERN, JERRY ORDWAY and GEORGE PEREZ
Art by MIKE MIGNOLA and others
Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
This new title collects Mike Mignola’s work on comics including SUPERMAN: THE WORLD OF KRYPTON #1-4, ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #2, SUPERMAN #18 and #23, BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #54, BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #36, SWAMP THING ANNUAL #5, PHANTOM STRANGER #1-4 and more! Also collects dozens of covers by Mignola!

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Here is another interview with Justin, this time at BirthMoviesDeath. I think there are a couple more new posters shown in this one;

THIS is one of the best things related to BTAS I ever had the pleasure to see. And as a self-proclaimed expert on all things BTAS, my opinion is really important!!!! :lol: Seriously, these posters are terrific- I love how he got the spirit of each and every episode portrayed. Like The Man Who Killed Batman. Or Demon's Quest. Or this one above. Wowowowowowow!!!!!!
Later down the road, I will definitely grab one of these, I really need to replace that Star Wars IV framed poster that reminds me of 4 titted sea-cows.
Ah crap - they did a poster drop today for the remaining posters they had left from the show - the Trial one was still available but all gone now. Sorry dude.

For future reference, their store link is here;

http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Re: The Bat-Thread

Post by grendeljd »

Also, that board game looks insane!! You should pledge into it, Tuga - from my experience, all the extra stuff you will get if you make a sizeable pledge would cost you wayyyyyyyyyyy more money to buy off the shelf in a store.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:Also, that board game looks insane!! You should pledge into it, Tuga - from my experience, all the extra stuff you will get if you make a sizeable pledge would cost you wayyyyyyyyyyy more money to buy off the shelf in a store.
I hope I can make my contribution before the game is all funded. It looks phenomenal, and I love that so many characters got into the mix, even the Batman & Robin Eternal Orphan character (aka ol' David Cain) or Mr. Bloom from Snyder/Capullo. Deep cuts.
There are a lot of Jim Lee inspired minis, also, Killer Croc looks like he's ripped from Hush. Even Zero Year Bats is in there, so awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the posters link, I really have to chase one or two of these later on. So damn beautiful. :high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Also, that board game looks insane!! You should pledge into it, Tuga - from my experience, all the extra stuff you will get if you make a sizeable pledge would cost you wayyyyyyyyyyy more money to buy off the shelf in a store.
I hope I can make my contribution before the game is all funded. It looks phenomenal, and I love that so many characters got into the mix, even the Batman & Robin Eternal Orphan character (aka ol' David Cain) or Mr. Bloom from Snyder/Capullo. Deep cuts.
There are a lot of Jim Lee inspired minis, also, Killer Croc looks like he's ripped from Hush. Even Zero Year Bats is in there, so awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the posters link, I really have to chase one or two of these later on. So damn beautiful. :high-five:
Justin is famous enough that his prints end up getting flipped on eBay - if you search "phantom city creative batman" there, you'll find some of these newer ones. Unfortunately at a higher price, but at least some of them are available...

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Justin is famous enough that his prints end up getting flipped on eBay - if you search "phantom city creative batman" there, you'll find some of these newer ones. Unfortunately at a higher price, but at least some of them are available...
:thumb:
Just on thing on the boardgame: I don't think they will put this on stores, given the amount of expensive s*hit that this has. They said that this way, they can give a great product for a still-reasonable price, without having to count retailers, transportation, etc.

Ok, I read the Dark Knights: Metal finale already and just wanted to say a few things:
Metal is VERY important to the future of the DCU: The Source Wall was broken (yeah, for real) and now the DCU is an ocean, compared to the water bowl it was (semi quoting here) before this. New characters, new threats, new worlds and concepts, etc, etc, etc.
This was a fun event, but the last issue had way too many stuff happening at a crazy pace and it did not entertained me like the previous books; but there's some real fun comics' bits here and there(Joker shooting The Batman Who Laughs and fighting alongside Bruce, Bats punching a Joker Dragon!!!!), it's just that it's packed with stuff. I had observed in the previous "reviews" that it would be a big book, giving the number of unresolved plots, and it is. Its like a party where you know everybody and can't stay more than 5 mins with each person there. Hope I'm making sense.

I am not a fan of the BWL becoming a regular baddie; this dude, like I said before, makes the Joker look like a puss. He's awesome, yes, damn awesome, but like all the great overpowered characters he should NOT become a regular villain. He should have the Anti-Monitor or Nekron treatment. You only hear about these dudes IN. BIG. EVENTS.

But now he's going to fight the new Immortal Men gang on their own book... :roll:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Saw Batman Ninja tonight, amazing looking crazy film. Had a lot of fun watching this- recommended for any Batman fan or just fans of good animation. This rocks in that dept.
As for the plot, its crazy Anime stuff. Time-travel shenanigans, Mechas and all that comes with it (transformations and "combination" stuff), some of the kanji-written-information is presented in a hilarious style, i.e. when Batman turns into Sengoku Batman or Armoured Batman, its Anime alright. You see what I mean when you watch it. The directors really, really had a fun time cooking this, you can tell. I laughed out hard- in a good way -when I saw the various Gotham Rogues' castles turning into mechas.
Fighting sequences are absolutely stunning, in fact, all of the visuals are on another level of quality. This is a beautiful looking movie.
Don't expect a deep serious thing, this is as crazy and FUUUUUN!!!!! as the idea behind it. I loved it and hope that there's more material coming from this "setting", like a graphic novel or something.

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

:(
Some sad news made me post here again in months (on that, I will eventually catch up on current Batman comics, perhaps before the year ends): Norm Breyfogle has passed away at 58.

Damn, this guy was way too young and damn too talented to leave us so soon. His Batman was unique, the way he draw the dude's shoulders and cape was iconic and ultra cooooool. And he was the guy who co-created Anarky with Alan Grant.
I absolutely love Norm's artwork and I'm actually still collecting all of the gentleman's covers as I type this.

One of the most iconic Batman covers of all time, 'Tec 608, debut of Lonnie:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Looking for advice from the Batman fans. I have always been into Valiant and Marvel. I have never collected DC comics. I just started reading the “iconic” Batman stories. I read year 1, killing joke, court of owls, Dark Knight returns. Next up is Hush. I just bought Batman 608 Jim Lee variant to get started. I know that Batman 227 and 251 are great. What other comics do I “need” to read and/or own? Thanks.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Summydad1 wrote:Looking for advice from the Batman fans. I have always been into Valiant and Marvel. I have never collected DC comics. I just started reading the “iconic” Batman stories. I read year 1, killing joke, court of owls, Dark Knight returns. Next up is Hush. I just bought Batman 608 Jim Lee variant to get started. I know that Batman 227 and 251 are great. What other comics do I “need” to read and/or own? Thanks.
You already have the most iconic stories under your belt. Try Arkham Asylum (Grant Morrison), maybe a bit too "mature" for some folks, I love it though. And of course, once you are more well read, you haver to give the guy's run a try- starting with Batman and Son, R.I.P, Batman & Robin, etc. The Morrison Bats is must-read comics, imho.
JLoeb's Long Halloween is really cool, specially the art by the aamazing Tim Sale, its sequel Dark Victory also very cool.

I would say get your hands on a copy of "Strange Apparitions" (the famous Engleheart/Rogers run) but that might cost you a few hundred bucks. One of the best runs in all superhero comicsever, DC has yet to reprint it this century. :!: :!: :!: Its mandatory Batman for everyone.

You HAVE to read "A Death in the Family" and the sequel of sorts, "A Lonely Place of Dying". Then read Knightfall and get started on the 90s crossover craze. :D (jk, but you really should try Knightfall, as it is one of those iconic ones)

I had an article on my bAT-blog that gave a few pointers to newbies. I talked about The Cult miniseries (awesome stuff), "No Man's Land", "Under the Hood", etc.

P.S: And Gotham by Gaslight, everyone should read it.

P.S2: Found the article, no pics att, but hope it helps.
http://batman75years.blogspot.com/search/label/BATMAN
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Summydad1

Post by Summydad1 »

Thanks. I heard that Arkham Asylum is really good. I also heard that Gotham by gaslight is good too. I will read those after Hush. I will get around to Knightfall at some point. I was a kid when that came out and I remember the hysteria. Any iconic cover from the golden age is out of my price range. I really like the Neal Adams covers from the 1970's. I was looking at scans and I like Batman 240. Very underrated for a Neal Adams/Bernie Wrightson cover. The next slabs I will probably get are Batman 227 and 251. They seem like must haves.

Summydad1

Post by Summydad1 »

Thanks. I heard that Arkham Asylum is really good. I also heard that Gotham by gaslight is good too. I will read those after Hush. I will get around to Knightfall at some point. I was a kid when that came out and I remember the hysteria. Any iconic cover from the golden age is out of my price range. I really like the Neal Adams covers from the 1970's. I was looking at scans and I like Batman 240. Very underrated for a Neal Adams/Bernie Wrightson cover. The next slabs I will probably get are Batman 227 and 251. They seem like must haves.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

You may think I've been living under a rock for the last year, given that it was only yesterday that I first heard - and saw, with these 2 the earth will eat :bugeyed: - the Batawang. I really stopped following the industry and its news, for the most part.

Azzarello and Bermejo on a new Batman story is not as much of a conversation starter as "Bat-d*ck 1st appearance", and I don't watch the funny men at night with their talk shows anymore so I was completely off, totally in the dark.
Now I get why the sudden speculator action on the "Batman: Damned #1"- I genuinely thought until yesterday that the book was sooooooo good that it sold out immediately.

How adorable of me. :lol:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ripped from Batman’s greatest nightmares, the Grim Knight is his world’s most dangerous vigilante, unafraid to use any weapon and go to any lengths to stop those whom he deems worthy of death. Trained with the finest arsenal Wayne money can buy, learn the secret origin of the second-deadliest Batman, hand selected by the Batman Who Laughs to bring his dark plans to fruition. This one-shot has a big 28-page story!

That is one cool cover. And that is all good I have to say. facepalm facepalm facepalm

It's not the guns, it's not the ridicule of the Grim name (it is very ridiculous, though), it's the lazyness of this idea. Second-deadliest?! WTF is this marketing tactic? Where was this dude in Metal, if he's that hot-stuff (obvious answer is DC did not think about it att)?!

EDIT- :| And now that I think about it, this book probably is awesome in its own right, like those Metal tie-ins, but I'm not testing the waters again like I did with those Metal tie-ins. I have no interest in this book as it is being advertised.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread -for whatever reason I hadn't really read it in the past. I thought I'd touch on a few things related to my bat-fandom here.

The Norm Breyfogle thing...
It's a real shame to hear that he passed away months ago. His work on Batman was being done right when I had truly begun buying comics at large. I bought basically his whole run from around 'Tec #600, and I think that maybe 90% of the Breyfogle issues I own are newsstands that I bought off the racks myself. I loved his line work, athletic shapes, and long, trailing lines, and really feel that he was underrated. I remember he brought that great artwork to the Ultraverse on Prime, but I remember thinking that it was ashame because I felt he should've been drawing some big-name title with his peers like Jim Lee and McFarlane.

I also bought this trade as soon as I heard it was being released some months back, I think when it was announced he was sick. I highly recommend this book...

The DKR thing that started the thread.....
One of my most beloved trades is the Frank Miller leatherbound edition - it's maybe 30 years old now and is, to this day, the only edition of TDKR that anyone should seek out. I remember seeing it at a Walden Books on Lawrence in downtown Chicago when it was new. I got a copy that Christmas (the one on the right). I've read it so many times that the leather is showing wear, so several years back I bought a new, unread copy just to have one new because I love it so much. This trade contains all of TDKR, Batman Year One, Frank Miller's crazy stand-alone Batman Christmas story, some forward material and of course the amazing leather assembly and new cover. This thing should sell for thousands - it's that amazing.

About Batman: TAS....
So obviously I, along with everyone else on Earth, loves Batman: TAS (I've cited it several times in the Undervalued Gems thread). But I never got into the toys back in the day, although I watched the show regularly as it aired. Then, several months ago when the Blu Ray set was announced I was, by coincidence, reorganizing my action figure collection in a last ditch effort to find a way to either organize them impeccably or just get rid of them. Gladly, I did some customizing and found a great way to store maybe a thousand figures in a very small space. And when I did this, it opened the floodgates to my return to figure collecting. And so in the last few months I got into the Batman: TAS stuff. But only under two conditions: 1) I was buying as many new, MOC as cheaply as I could and then opening them (don't kill me, guys), and 2) I was generally only going to buy the most canon of figures - no Orange Ninja Suit Batman, or purple pants Riddler or anything like that. I found that the continued JLA line really helps you fill in the Batman: TAS gaps enough that you can practically put the entire cast of characters together, barring only a few missing. Now I've got a nice set of these that are complete and basically brand new out of the package. When I want to display them, I rotate them in and out of a modular 3 3/4" wall mounted display. If I get sick of Iron Man, I rotate them out and put Batman TAS up there. After that, maybe vintage Star Wars, etc.

Capullo and Snyder.....
I've been a Capullo fan since buying Quasar off the stands when he came on board. Big fan of his, and I bought every issue of the Snyder/Capullo run as it came out. In hindsight I wish I would've bought it in triplicate to be honest. Of course I've picked up the Absolute Court of Owls, but how on Earth have we not gotten an Omnibus collecting this whole run yet?!? When is this happening?

And lastly, how can anyone not love the *SQUEE* Batman? He's the original bad *SQUEE* in every way.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

... and that's how you post on the Batman thread- Like a Boss!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

IMJ, you and I have the same story regarding BTAS toys, of sorts. I started hunting them 12 years ago, I think, and also had the mindset of only getting MOC figs to open myself, if I wanted. And no stupid-looking variants, only the "base" figures.
I then came across a guy on ebay selling 11 of them, Combat Belt Batman included (I would only start a collection if I could get the big guy first, and on the cheap side- still cost me 3 digits, that fig alone). CBB is probably, most definitely, actually 8-) my favourite Batman figure ever. That sculpt is perfect animated Bats, Timm-style. The damn cowl nose even "beaks", its freaking uncanny.
I had them in the cards until my kid turned 5 or 6. But these figures have such a fun factor into it, I gave in- I opened them and it was shooting plastic afternoons for me and my son. :lol: The Two-Face and Riddler guns are actually sort of dangerous to play, if you point the thing to an eye. Those 90s toy-building regulations were awesome. :D

DCC started a BTAS/TNBA line in 2014 and I am still buying what I miss (and I already own 40+ ind. figs/sets); it's a pricey line (with some production issues in the first waves...) but they look really great. I do prefer the sculpt from the Kenner line when it comes to BTAS Batman, but the rest is as screen accurate as possible. They even did one that I NEVER expected to see outside a custom made figure: the fire suit Bats that fights Firefly in the last season. Its an amazing line, with deep cut characters and that right ammount of "timeless classic" that the series deseves. Man, there's even a TDKR set from that episode where we get a Miller and a Sprang Bat-guy.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I was just searching around on eBay and found one of my favorite Neal Adams “Batman” covers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-227-DC- ... 2567057805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to own a copy of this book but I sold it when I sold my entire Batman collection. facepalm

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

mkb28 wrote:I was just searching around on eBay and found one of my favorite Neal Adams “Batman” covers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-227-DC- ... 2567057805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to own a copy of this book but I sold it when I sold my entire Batman collection. facepalm
Yeah that's pretty much the iconic Adams Batman cover of all time. The guy selling that copy.... "tuners36"... I've got some memory of that username from eBay, and I can't recall what it is.... but my knee jerk reaction is that it wasn't good. I really don't like saying that without a tangible story in mind but there was something.....

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote:Ripped from Batman’s greatest nightmares, the Grim Knight is his world’s most dangerous vigilante, unafraid to use any weapon and go to any lengths to stop those whom he deems worthy of death. Trained with the finest arsenal Wayne money can buy, learn the secret origin of the second-deadliest Batman, hand selected by the Batman Who Laughs to bring his dark plans to fruition. This one-shot has a big 28-page story!

That is one cool cover. And that is all good I have to say. facepalm facepalm facepalm

It's not the guns, it's not the ridicule of the Grim name (it is very ridiculous, though), it's the lazyness of this idea. Second-deadliest?! WTF is this marketing tactic? Where was this dude in Metal, if he's that hot-stuff (obvious answer is DC did not think about it att)?!

EDIT- :| And now that I think about it, this book probably is awesome in its own right, like those Metal tie-ins, but I'm not testing the waters again like I did with those Metal tie-ins. I have no interest in this book as it is being advertised.
I agree this is one cool cover. Advertised as a one-shot. The cover itself has me intrigued to buy it.