The Bat-Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: THE BAT-THREAD

Post by ShadowTuga »

Tony_H wrote:Thank you, sir! Also, thanks for mentioning the Golden Age Batbook. :high-five: I didn't know about that one!
:thumb: More info here:
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Golden ... 1401260098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comes out this month. Collecting EVERY Detective issue and some (very little) Batman's 1939-1949 I'm guessing the second and third volumes to be ALL the Tecs and Batman from 1950-1956. :D

I hope we get Silver and Bronze Age treatments along the years. This apparently substitutes the Archives HC in a way, at least to me.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Thanks again for the info, Mr. Tuga! I showed the link you posted above to my wife a few weeks ago, and she ordered a Golden Age Omnibus for me as a birthday gift. I got it on Friday, and it is a stone-cold gem. The art will knock you out! My wife likes very few comics, but she wants to read this collection, too.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Tony_H wrote:Thanks again for the info, Mr. Tuga! I showed the link you posted above to my wife a few weeks ago, and she ordered a Golden Age Omnibus for me as a birthday gift. I got it on Friday, and it is a stone-cold gem. The art will knock you out! My wife likes very few comics, but she wants to read this collection, too.
:high-five:
Now if I can make my gf do the same for me as a Christmas thing... :hm: :wink:
Glad to hear you really liked the art, being a very big book they could have gone the cheaper way. Awesome. I will vist the LCS for my monthly picks tomorrow (and since this is a Batman thread, DKIII!!!!!! :D) and will see if they already have a copy of it. Now I really want to see the Omnibus treatment of GA Bats.

As old as these stories are, some of them are some of my favourite Bat-tales. The Red Monk 2-parter is sooooo good, for a random example.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Just sharing my thoughts on my current reads. :thumb:

Batman #47 - This arc has been long, but fairly good. I like Bat-"46 and a smoker" Gordon and his pal, Rookie. We all know that Bruce is getting back in the suit, but the last page promises a very weird and fun next ish. As usual, awesome visuals by Cappulo, Miki and FCO.

DKIII The Master Race #2 - :o :o :o HS, they freaking squashed Ray Palmer!!!!! Loving this so far, 2 issues in and I'm already loving it so much more than DKSA. The Miller WW comic was terrific, great artwork by Eduardo Risso. His WW is freaking scary. Batman fans will have a tearful moment, be warned. :wink:

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - Cowabatga, dudes. :D This is stupid, even for a comic, but it was a pleasure to read. Any fan of these 2 franchises will have a kick out of it. Buy it if you're a fan of both. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BATMAN COMICS - PART II
Now that you've taken your first steps into a larger world, ;) I bet you are craving for some more Batman comic goodness. We're here to help you dive into the world of Batman, beyond the "Must Read" books mentioned in the first part of this article.

Two ways to approach this:

A) You just want to read more Batman stories, preferably (but not exclusively) ones that are relevant to today's Bat-World and are regarded as classics by many fans.

B) You want to become a Bat-Student and know the history of the character throughout the decades.

Either one is a good approach and they are not mutually exclusive. Heck, you can do both at the same time. But for clarity purposes, let's divide it in two and not bother with it. Thanks!

A) So, I guess you are a Batman fan who knows his movies, maybe some of the cartoons and videogames and you might have read the Basic Batman Comics we've talked in Part I. But you want more. Here's ten Batman reads that will make you love this character even more and at the same time provide you with a larger image of Gotham and it's inhabitants.

1. Batman: The Cult 1-4 (Starlin, Wrightson, 1988)
Starting this list with one of the most "out there" Bat-tales. Batman meets a new nemesis is the form of Deacon Blackfire and goes through hell to see another day (or night, since, you know, he's Batman). This is probably the one time where you will really dig Jason Todd as Robin, minus the following entry on this list.

2. A Death In The Family (Starlin, Aparo, 1989)
In order to understand what once was Batman's greatest pain right after the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne, you HAVE to read this story. It is not a GREAT comic book storyline, but the consequences of it would haunt Batman for years and. Joker. With a crowbar. Must read material.

3. A Lonely Place of Dying (Wolfman, Perez, Aparo, 1989)
After SPOILERS :D the death of Jason Todd, Batman becomes completely careless about his well-being, safety and health, going after EVERY.SINGLE.CRIMINAL. With a vengeance. A kid named Tim Drake reaches out to Nightwing saying Batman needs help. And later he becomes the new Robin. It's the story of how Tim becomes Bruce's ally and it shows that at least one person in Gotham can make the connection between Bruce, Dick, Batman and Robin/Nightwing. Duh!

4. The Knightfall Saga Vols. I, II, III (various writers and artists, 1993-94)
So you loved Bane in The Dark Knigh Rises and would like to read more about the character. Here's his intro in the DC world and here's where Nolan took the hint to break the Bat's back. Absolutely mandatory for understanding modern Batman, but don't expect it to be nothing more than a fun read. I DO love this version of Bane, where he is a true mastermind and a hulking beast on 'roids. Scary. And don't forget Azrael, if you have played Arkham City and have no clue on what that dude on the roofs is all about.

5. No Man's Land Vols, I, II, III, IV (various writers and artists, 1999-2000)
The Huge Crossover to kill all the other huge crossovers. Literally, at least for a while. After Gotham suffers an earthquake, a lethal virus outbreak and being cut from the rest of the US, this is what happens to Batman and his allies and enemies. I really dig this monster of a tale, and if you have the time to check it, do yourself a favour and read it. Do I have to say anything else? Cassie Cain aka new Batgirl. Awesome.

6. Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive (various writers and artists, 2002)
There's so much good stuff in this story that should not be spoiled even after all these years that I will just say: buy it. Read it. Be sad that most of today's comics are not like this.
Ok, I will also say Sasha Bordeaux.

7. Hush (Loeb, Lee, 2003)
The debut of Hush, one of Batman's most iconic antagonists outside the classic Rogue's Gallery. Superb artwork by Jim Lee really makes this story better. If you're looking for a Big Batman tale, with lots of villains and a cool new character read Knightfa- I mean Hush. ;)

8. Under the Hood (Winick, Mahnke, 2005-2006)
Guess who has come back from the dead and want's nothing to do with his former mentor? Red Hood's origin. Important because of that.

9. Batman Adventures: Mad Love (Dini, Timm, 1994)
The life and troubles of Harley Quinn. Even if it is set in a different universe than the mainstream comics (DC Animated Universe), it's importance to the Batman mythos is HUGE. Funny, heart-warming but with some dark stuff between the lines. An amazing story - with amazing art to boot.

10. The Grant Morrison Saga (Morrison with various artists, 2005-2013)
Finally we get to the entry where I go "dudes and dudettes, please, PLEASE, if you like Batman just a little bit, read this collection of super awesome comics"! There are several TPBs/HCs in this story so you have to invest a little bit of time and money on it, but the payoff is really, I do mean really, fantastic. Batman fans revere this saga, for the most part. No wonder why. We get Batman and Son, RIP, Batman & Robin vol. I, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Incorporated just to name the main dishes of this amazing banquet of Bat-love. Grant Morrison will make you understand Bat-Mite in a way you never saw it coming. You will shed a tear when you get what Zur-En-Arrh really means. You will never read a more heart-filled, funnier or cooler Batman and Robin book than the one by Grant. It's the ultimate Batman saga. And I can not reccomend it enough.

B) I will assume that you have read all of the reccomendations on this site and are more than ready to jump on the Batman-geek bandwagon. You want to understand the character's long history and the various incarnations of him. You really like Batman comics and just can't get enough. I get you.
To have a full perspective of the guy's story you can't go wrong with the cheap trades "Batman in the...", with each volume of this collection giving you a sample of some of the best stories of a certain decade.
After a sample of these, and if you think you want even more, you have three (as of now, that I know of) ways of collecting Batman Past.

1) Batman/Dark Knight Archives from DC Archives editions: deluxe HC that collect both Detective Comics and Batman in order of publication, respectively. Great value, but expensive.

2) Batman Chronicles: TPBs that collect BOTH "Detective Comics" and "Batman" in a cheaper format. Only downside in my mind is the gap between each release.

3) Batman Omnibus Series: this is a very recent addition to DCs catalogue. Big books that collect years of both 'Tec and Batman in a oversized, prestige format that will leave you salivating for the next volume. This is the collection i'd recommend if you don't own any of the aforementioned ones.

http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/2016/0 ... -part.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb: Thanks for reading!
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

My discoveries of yesterday, including Anarky and Tim Drake's firsts. And Deadman's origin!!! :D Cheap, btw.:

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BATMAN COMICS - PART II
Now that you've taken your first steps into a larger world, ;) I bet you are craving for some more Batman comic goodness. We're here to help you dive into the world of Batman, beyond the "Must Read" books mentioned in the first part of this article.

Two ways to approach this:

A) You just want to read more Batman stories, preferably (but not exclusively) ones that are relevant to today's Bat-World and are regarded as classics by many fans.

B) You want to become a Bat-Student and know the history of the character throughout the decades.

Either one is a good approach and they are not mutually exclusive. Heck, you can do both at the same time. But for clarity purposes, let's divide it in two and not bother with it. Thanks!

A) So, I guess you are a Batman fan who knows his movies, maybe some of the cartoons and videogames and you might have read the Basic Batman Comics we've talked in Part I. But you want more. Here's ten Batman reads that will make you love this character even more and at the same time provide you with a larger image of Gotham and it's inhabitants.

1. Batman: The Cult 1-4 (Starlin, Wrightson, 1988)
Starting this list with one of the most "out there" Bat-tales. Batman meets a new nemesis is the form of Deacon Blackfire and goes through hell to see another day (or night, since, you know, he's Batman). This is probably the one time where you will really dig Jason Todd as Robin, minus the following entry on this list.

2. A Death In The Family (Starlin, Aparo, 1989)
In order to understand what once was Batman's greatest pain right after the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne, you HAVE to read this story. It is not a GREAT comic book storyline, but the consequences of it would haunt Batman for years and. Joker. With a crowbar. Must read material.

3. A Lonely Place of Dying (Wolfman, Perez, Aparo, 1989)
After SPOILERS :D the death of Jason Todd, Batman becomes completely careless about his well-being, safety and health, going after EVERY.SINGLE.CRIMINAL. With a vengeance. A kid named Tim Drake reaches out to Nightwing saying Batman needs help. And later he becomes the new Robin. It's the story of how Tim becomes Bruce's ally and it shows that at least one person in Gotham can make the connection between Bruce, Dick, Batman and Robin/Nightwing. Duh!

4. The Knightfall Saga Vols. I, II, III (various writers and artists, 1993-94)
So you loved Bane in The Dark Knigh Rises and would like to read more about the character. Here's his intro in the DC world and here's where Nolan took the hint to break the Bat's back. Absolutely mandatory for understanding modern Batman, but don't expect it to be nothing more than a fun read. I DO love this version of Bane, where he is a true mastermind and a hulking beast on 'roids. Scary. And don't forget Azrael, if you have played Arkham City and have no clue on what that dude on the roofs is all about.

5. No Man's Land Vols, I, II, III, IV (various writers and artists, 1999-2000)
The Huge Crossover to kill all the other huge crossovers. Literally, at least for a while. After Gotham suffers an earthquake, a lethal virus outbreak and being cut from the rest of the US, this is what happens to Batman and his allies and enemies. I really dig this monster of a tale, and if you have the time to check it, do yourself a favour and read it. Do I have to say anything else? Cassie Cain aka new Batgirl. Awesome.

6. Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive (various writers and artists, 2002)
There's so much good stuff in this story that should not be spoiled even after all these years that I will just say: buy it. Read it. Be sad that most of today's comics are not like this.
Ok, I will also say Sasha Bordeaux.

7. Hush (Loeb, Lee, 2003)
The debut of Hush, one of Batman's most iconic antagonists outside the classic Rogue's Gallery. Superb artwork by Jim Lee really makes this story better. If you're looking for a Big Batman tale, with lots of villains and a cool new character read Knightfa- I mean Hush. ;)

8. Under the Hood (Winick, Mahnke, 2005-2006)
Guess who has come back from the dead and want's nothing to do with his former mentor? Red Hood's origin. Important because of that.

9. Batman Adventures: Mad Love (Dini, Timm, 1994)
The life and troubles of Harley Quinn. Even if it is set in a different universe than the mainstream comics (DC Animated Universe), it's importance to the Batman mythos is HUGE. Funny, heart-warming but with some dark stuff between the lines. An amazing story - with amazing art to boot.

10. The Grant Morrison Saga (Morrison with various artists, 2005-2013)
Finally we get to the entry where I go "dudes and dudettes, please, PLEASE, if you like Batman just a little bit, read this collection of super awesome comics"! There are several TPBs/HCs in this story so you have to invest a little bit of time and money on it, but the payoff is really, I do mean really, fantastic. Batman fans revere this saga, for the most part. No wonder why. We get Batman and Son, RIP, Batman & Robin vol. I, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Incorporated just to name the main dishes of this amazing banquet of Bat-love. Grant Morrison will make you understand Bat-Mite in a way you never saw it coming. You will shed a tear when you get what Zur-En-Arrh really means. You will never read a more heart-filled, funnier or cooler Batman and Robin book than the one by Grant. It's the ultimate Batman saga. And I can not reccomend it enough.

B) I will assume that you have read all of the reccomendations on this site and are more than ready to jump on the Batman-geek bandwagon. You want to understand the character's long history and the various incarnations of him. You really like Batman comics and just can't get enough. I get you.
To have a full perspective of the guy's story you can't go wrong with the cheap trades "Batman in the...", with each volume of this collection giving you a sample of some of the best stories of a certain decade.
After a sample of these, and if you think you want even more, you have three (as of now, that I know of) ways of collecting Batman Past.

1) Batman/Dark Knight Archives from DC Archives editions: deluxe HC that collect both Detective Comics and Batman in order of publication, respectively. Great value, but expensive.

2) Batman Chronicles: TPBs that collect BOTH "Detective Comics" and "Batman" in a cheaper format. Only downside in my mind is the gap between each release.

3) Batman Omnibus Series: this is a very recent addition to DCs catalogue. Big books that collect years of both 'Tec and Batman in a oversized, prestige format that will leave you salivating for the next volume. This is the collection i'd recommend if you don't own any of the aforementioned ones.

http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/2016/0 ... -part.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb: Thanks for reading!
Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Michael
mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

:high-five: Thanks, Michael! :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Cyberstrike's Batman and related characters recommendations:

Batman is a character that I like but I don't love, there are some Batman and related spin-offs that are real good.

1) Batman: Night Terrors is a graphic novel that has Batman chasing a serial killer who kills child abusers while Commissioner Gordon deals with the fact that he was abused as a child and is trying not to become one himself to his son. Dark, brooding, and with a haunting ending that will stick with you.

2) Batman: Digital Justice is a graphic novel set in the future Batman and the Joker are now computer programs battling in cyberspace to protect or destroy Gotham City. One of the early CGI graphic novels so the art might not be as a great as it was back in when it was first published.

3) Batman: Arkham Asylum-A Serious House on Serious Earth Grant Morrison is not a writer whose work I generally like, I find most of it way to meta and pretentious as hell. But this one I like, it's story is pretty straight-forward the Joker and the other villains have taken over Arkham Asylum and unless Batman enters they will kill the hostages. The artwork by Dave McKean is haunting and stunning and Morrison's frighting theory that the Joker might be a preview of human sanity in the digital world is still chilling.

4) Robin: Rebirth the first Robin mini-series with Tim Drake having to do a solo mission to prove his worth to Batman is a lot of fun.

5) Robin II: The Joker's Wild it was only a matter of time before Tim Drake fought the Joker who killed the previous Robin and with Batman out of town Drake must take down Batman's arch-enemy before the Joker kills him.

6) Batwoman: Elegy The new Batwoman makes her solo debut by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III. Batwoman must defeat the Religion of Crime's new leader the mysterious woman known only as Alice from destroying Gotham City and killing her father. Rucka's story is tight and William's art is beautiful.

7) Batgirl: Silent Knight-Cassie Cane takes the mantle of Batgirl but being trained as an assassin but she can't talk or write, or read when she rescues a metahuman that allows her to talk she loses her all fighting skills and Batman puts her under the tutelage of former Batgirl Barbra Gordon, who isn't too fond of Cassie to begin with.

8) Batman: The Killing Joke One of the most controversial Batman stories of all time reportedly both Alan Moore and Brian Bolland have disowned it. The Joker has escaped again and this time is out to prove that one bad day can drive anyone crazy so he shoots Barbra Gordon and sexually assults her as he kidnaps Commissioner Gordon in an attempt to drive him mad.

9) Harley Quinn-The Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti run on this character is some of the best books DC has published since started the New 52.

10) Batman: War Paul Dini and Alex Ross' oversized graphic novel/storybook is simply a great read.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Cyberstrike wrote:Cyberstrike's Batman and related characters recommendations:

Batman is a character that I like but I don't love, there are some Batman and related spin-offs that are real good.

1) Batman: Night Terrors is a graphic novel that has Batman chasing a serial killer who kills child abusers while Commissioner Gordon deals with the fact that he was abused as a child and is trying not to become one himself to his son. Dark, brooding, and with a haunting ending that will stick with you.

2) Batman: Digital Justice is a graphic novel set in the future Batman and the Joker are now computer programs battling in cyberspace to protect or destroy Gotham City. One of the early CGI graphic novels so the art might not be as a great as it was back in when it was first published.

3) Batman: Arkham Asylum-A Serious House on Serious Earth Grant Morrison is not a writer whose work I generally like, I find most of it way to meta and pretentious as hell. But this one I like, it's story is pretty straight-forward the Joker and the other villains have taken over Arkham Asylum and unless Batman enters they will kill the hostages. The artwork by Dave McKean is haunting and stunning and Morrison's frighting theory that the Joker might be a preview of human sanity in the digital world is still chilling.

4) Robin: Rebirth the first Robin mini-series with Tim Drake having to do a solo mission to prove his worth to Batman is a lot of fun.

5) Robin II: The Joker's Wild it was only a matter of time before Tim Drake fought the Joker who killed the previous Robin and with Batman out of town Drake must take down Batman's arch-enemy before the Joker kills him.

6) Batwoman: Elegy The new Batwoman makes her solo debut by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III. Batwoman must defeat the Religion of Crime's new leader the mysterious woman known only as Alice from destroying Gotham City and killing her father. Rucka's story is tight and William's art is beautiful.

7) Batgirl: Silent Knight-Cassie Cane takes the mantle of Batgirl but being trained as an assassin but she can't talk or write, or read when she rescues a metahuman that allows her to talk she loses her all fighting skills and Batman puts her under the tutelage of former Batgirl Barbra Gordon, who isn't too fond of Cassie to begin with.

8) Batman: The Killing Joke One of the most controversial Batman stories of all time reportedly both Alan Moore and Brian Bolland have disowned it. The Joker has escaped again and this time is out to prove that one bad day can drive anyone crazy so he shoots Barbra Gordon and sexually assults her as he kidnaps Commissioner Gordon in an attempt to drive him mad.

9) Harley Quinn-The Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti run on this character is some of the best books DC has published since started the New 52.

10) Batman: War Paul Dini and Alex Ross' oversized graphic novel/storybook is simply a great read.
Great, now I'll have to read a bunch of Transformers comics so I can do something like this on your thread.

(VERY GOOD stuff, CS) :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tony_H
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Good God, there's so much to see and so little time for seeing in this human life. Thanks very much Tuga and Strike! I haven't read many of the books in your posts, both of which help whittle down the bat-list a bit.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

8) Batman: The Killing Joke One of the most controversial Batman stories of all time reportedly both Alan Moore and Brian Bolland have disowned it.
I have to say, this type of thing is what makes me not like Alan Moore.

Both these lists of recommendations are great, though. My favorite not listed is Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Brubaker and Mahnke.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

jeremycoe wrote:

8) Batman: The Killing Joke One of the most controversial Batman stories of all time reportedly both Alan Moore and Brian Bolland have disowned it.
I have to say, this type of thing is what makes me not like Alan Moore.

Both these lists of recommendations are great, though. My favorite not listed is Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Brubaker and Mahnke.
Apparently, it wasn't Moore's fault. Legend has it that it was Len Wein who suggested to "cripple the *SQUEE*" and Moore was not that happy with it.
He says, she says...
I used to like it a LOT more than I do today, mostly because the violence is really gratuitious at points. But it's a seminal Joker story, just like The Man Who Laughs (one of the best Joker stories ever written and I actually mentioned it on the first part of my article :thumb: ).
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I just finished reading Batman 49 and I can help thinking what the *SQUEE*? Did anybody else feel this way?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

nutflush76 wrote:I just finished reading Batman 49 and I can help thinking what the *SQUEE*? Did anybody else feel this way?
Have you read "Twenty Seven", the Snyder story that came in 'tec #27? If not, that may explain why you're so confused. I haven't even thought about it, but yeah, this is really a new concept for Batman that just became nu52 canon- a lot more confusing for a reader who hasn't read that story, I guess.
Either way, Rebirth is coming- I would not worry about some of the more out-of-the-box ideas of the last 5 years, namely cloning and implanting memories on clones. :D
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
nutflush76 wrote:I just finished reading Batman 49 and I can help thinking what the *SQUEE*? Did anybody else feel this way?
Have you read "Twenty Seven", the Snyder story that came in 'tec #27? If not, that may explain why you're so confused. I haven't even thought about it, but yeah, this is really a new concept for Batman that just became nu52 canon- a lot more confusing for a reader who hasn't read that story, I guess.
Either way, Rebirth is coming- I would not worry about some of the more out-of-the-box ideas of the last 5 years, namely cloning and implanting memories on clones. :D
I did read that story, but the leap from that to Bats 49 seems pretty big. Also, is this the original Bruce Wayne, or is it a clone? I sure hope this story gets dropped right here. One clone crisis in my life is enough. Even if it was a different character.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

nutflush76 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
I did read that story, but the leap from that to Bats 49 seems pretty big. Also, is this the original Bruce Wayne, or is it a clone? I sure hope this story gets dropped right here. One clone crisis in my life is enough. Even if it was a different character.
This is the OG Bruce, AFAIK. And yeah, even if one has read "Twenty Seven", it is bananas crazy. :D I will admit, this coming after the announcement of Rebirth doesn't bother me as much as it would if we were "stuck" with it. Just like the ball thing in Zero Year, I hope this is Nu52 exclusive and DC does not bother with it unless it's Elseworlds.
But, while not being "my" Batman, this is a very interesting take on the character's mythology. I really, really enjoyed Twenty Seven, but yeah, always had it in the back of my head that it was just a "what if..."/sort of futuristic scenario. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

There is one Batman graphic novel that is coming out in June (I think) that I'm looking forward to it's The Dark Night: A True Batman Story it's by Paul Dini and Edward Risso it's about Paul Dini when he was writing Batman:TAS when he got mugged and was nearly beaten to death and how when recovering and how hard it was for him to write stories about characters like The Joker and Harley and saw Batman as a savior and how that helped him through his recovery.

This is also a Vertigo book and is one of the first, (if not THE first), time a Batman story was published as a Vertigo book.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Cyberstrike wrote:There is one Batman graphic novel that is coming out in June (I think) that I'm looking forward to it's The Dark Night: A True Batman Story it's by Paul Dini and Edward Risso it's about Paul Dini when he was writing Batman:TAS when he got mugged and was nearly beaten to death and how when recovering and how hard it was for him to write stories about characters like The Joker and Harley and saw Batman as a savior and how that helped him through his recovery.

This is also a Vertigo book and is one of the first, (if not THE first), time a Batman story was published as a Vertigo book.
I can't wait to read it, but from what i've been reading/hearing is more of a psychological tale with Batman's world as a background. It is the first Vertigo Batman, I read that somewhere.
Either way, it's Paul Dini- it will be an amazing, probably tear inducing story. On my to buy list since I first heard of it.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I did the best now it's time for Cyberstrike's worst and/or just forgettable Batman stories.

1) Batman: Year Two Mike Barr and Todd McFarlane sequel to Year One is only memorable for the laughable awful looking villain and being bland.

2) Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Back some stories should never have sequels the original Dark Knight Returns was one. How bad is this series it hurts the original.

3) Batman: Hush This story was stupid. Hush was a lame villain and the story was boring. Jim Lee's art barely holds this turd together.

4) All-Star Batman and Robin Constantly late and laughable awful story and art by two masters. This series was tarnish both Frank Miller and Jim Lee's legacies.

5) Batman: Dark Victory a remake of The Long Halloween that made zero sense and was just a waste of time, talent, and trees.

6) Batman: Bloodstorm the third and final Vampire Batman Elseworlds graphic novel is just as stupid as the movies that inspired it but at least those movies were fun this was stupid even by horror fiction and the art is awful.

7) Superman: Speeding Bullets Superman's first Elseworlds graphic novel is just plain nuts as Kal-El lands in Gotham City and is adopted by the Waynes (who name him Bruce) they get killed and he spends most of the book in a room whining about his senses and Lex Luthor is the Joker and Lois Lane has moved to Gotham because Metropolis was too weird and the ending makes even less sense then the rest of this nonsense. It might be Superman but it's more of a Batman story that makes both characters look bad.

8) Batwoman #25-40 and Annual #2-Bland and stupid with a overused tropes and the rape of the title character makes this story bad enough but it's loaded with oblivious red herrings and go-nowhere plots and some of the lamest villains of all time and we learn that Kate Kane is Bruce Wayne's first cousin which undermines both characters.

9) Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham In this Elseworlds mini-series Selina Kyle is basically Batman and Batman is a murderer. The artwork is so laughably obnoxious that it almost falls into it's a "so-bad it's kind of good".

10) Batman: I, Joker This Elseworlds story has the Joker becoming Batman which was stupid but so many Batman Elseworlds stories the poor execution of an interesting concept just makes the entire Elseworlds concept seem just stupid.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

To each its own.
I actually like some of the stories you consider "the worst".
And, for a person who at one point said Batman was a stupid character or something along those lines, you've certainly read a lot about him before you made that decision. :kidaround:

Seriously, Pretty Please, don't turn this thread into a Batbashing one. I started this so we could all celebrate the things we like about Batman. If you feel like you have to give your opinion on the worst, there are other options. We all kno there's tons of bad Batman comics.

I could not care less for your beloved Transformers, so you don't see me around "your parts" saying this or that sucks.
Hope we're cool, CS. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:To each its own.
And, for a person who at one point said Batman was a stupid character or something along those lines, you've certainly read a lot about him before you made that decision. :kidaround:

Seriously, Pretty Please, don't turn this thread into a Batbashing one. I started this so we could all celebrate the things we like about Batman. If you feel like you have to give your opinion on the worst, there are other options. We all kno there's tons of bad Batman comics.

I could not care less for your beloved Transformers, so you don't see me around "your parts" saying this or that sucks.
Batman as a comic book character is a character that I can take for not a long while the longest run of his main books that I still have is about 18 issues. He's just not a character that I can relate to mostly because the way he's written now of days he comes off as a jerk to me.

Batman has a lot of bad stories sorry but after 75 years there are going to be some real duds in there. I'm thinking about doing a similar list for The Transformers but I would be here for a year because there are really a lot of awful TF stories hell 3 of 4 the worst comics stories I've ever had the misfortune to read are TF stories from IDW.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Cyberstrike wrote:

Batman as a comic book character is a character that I can take for not a long while the longest run of his main books that I still have is about 18 issues. He's just not a character that I can relate to mostly because the way he's written now of days he comes off as a jerk to me.

Batman has a lot of bad stories sorry but after 75 years there are going to be some real duds in there. I'm thinking about doing a similar list for The Transformers but I would be here for a year because there are really a lot of awful TF stories hell 3 of 4 the worst comics stories I've ever had the misfortune to read are TF stories from IDW.
Same with Batman for me. I have read a ton of reeeeeally bad comics that have Batman on the title. As you said, 75+ years- lots of bad stuff is to be found.
I just did not want to turn this thread into a personal list of the "worst". Batman is really an easy target for that, I know. And there are people here who absolutely love "Hush" for example, from what I've read in previous threads. If anyone says it's one of the worst Batman stories, there's going to be "hurt feelings" (I suggested it as a reading, but mostly so people could understand current Batman. In that regard, Hush is very, very important and imho, one of the best drawn Batman tales).
But geez, sir, You can (and should) disagree, of course. Just "one of the worst" is a bit harsh, I think. Overated? Absolutely.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Just finished reading the "End Game" HC storyline. When is enough killing, enough? How many thousands of people has the Joker killed and no one has snapped yet and broke his puny little neck. :? I guess I can understand why Batman won't do it, but Commissioner Gordon? The Joker broke into his house, caught it on fire and was brandishing an axe. At what point do you start using "deadly force" if you are a police officer? Finally, he took the shot, but of course that didn't put him down for good.

Maybe I just need a break from Joker stories for awhile, but I would have pumped two in his chest and one in his head. Tap, Tap...Tap! :thumb:

Mkb28

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Same with Batman for me. I have read a ton of reeeeeally bad comics that have Batman on the title. As you said, 75+ years- lots of bad stuff is to be found.
I just did not want to turn this thread into a personal list of the "worst". Batman is really an easy target for that, I know. And there are people here who absolutely love "Hush" for example, from what I've read in previous threads. If anyone says it's one of the worst Batman stories, there's going to be "hurt feelings" (I suggested it as a reading, but mostly so people could understand current Batman. In that regard, Hush is very, very important and imho, one of the best drawn Batman tales).
But geez, sir, You can (and should) disagree, of course. Just "one of the worst" is a bit harsh, I think. Overated? Absolutely.
I feel it's important to yet new fans which stories are bad.
If people's feelings are hurt because I found Batman: Hush's storyline was pretty awful. That is there their problem not mine. The artwork is only thing that works, Loeb's only good Batman story is The Long Halloween. Hush and Dark Victory are boring and awful.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46:24 am, edited 1 time in total.