Lazarus

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Lazarus

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Read issues 1 and 2 of Lazarus. I liked it fine, and found it interesting. Everyone is raving about this title. Is there something I am missing? Or do I need to keep reading for a payoff?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Lazarus

Post by lorddunlow »

It only took 2 issues to hook me. I don't think it is mind-blowing or anything, but it's really good in my opinion. It does cater to my personal tastes. I love a good not-so-distant-future dystopia story.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Tim »

Love Lazarus.

Every comic book Greg Rucka has ever written I've loved. Every single one.

However, I just finished his first Atticus Kodiak novel and found it very disappointing.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I have read the issues that make up the first trade and really love the story. I also enjoy Rucka's commentary in the back of each issue. I was going to collect just the trades, but I don't want to miss Rucka's updates. I now buy the monthly issues and I am trying to collect all the number 1 variants.

Rucka was at the local con in Kansas City and signed my number 1 copy. He wrote, "Family Above All." Good stuff! :thumb:

Mkb28

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

I love Lazarus, one of the best independent titles I've read in quite some time. I picked up the Vol. 1 TPB off of Amazon, devoured it in two days then went to my LCS to buy the individual issues because I immediately decided that I needed to follow this title monthly and still buy the TPBs.

I wouldn't say that there is a major pay-off coming ala Hickman, but beyond the intro arc, Rucka is now exploring this new dark world and you can tell the sheer amount of work he and Lark have done on the background for this world, really impressed by their work so far.

Maybe it's personal preference, I can't say. I've always enjoyed everything I've read by Rucka so far (both comic and novel) and the story of Eve is certainly no exception. In fact, I'm hyped that his Stumptown series is going to become an ongoing from Oni Press later this year.

Andy
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Andy »

I've been waiting for the trade so I could pass it off to my 60 year old father. Unfortunately it doesn't have the future history, fake company ads, and current scientific breakthrough updates that are in the floppies. I've enjoyed every page of every issue and figured he might enjoy something like Lazarus. I'll probably have to suck it up and let him read the individual issues or he'll miss out on the rest of the world building.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I was going to read Lazarus but I had money problems and was forced not to order the book.

I will say Velvet written by Ed Bruebeaker and art by Steve Epting and it is a damn good read, but it's in entirely different genre though.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

This title has quickly become one of my favorites. I think you might need to read the first arc to get a better handle on it, rather than just the first two issues. The first TPB is what hooked me and now I pick up the monthlies to get the bonus backstory content. Rucka has put in a lot of scientific research and backstory into this series, plus just the concept of America being controlled by corporations and no longer a government blew me away. Like lorddunlow, I really like dystopian stories and this features a really strong female lead character, too! This series is off to a great start. :thumb:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

hkupo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain/Henry

Post by hkupo »

This is such a great series. I enjoy the amount of detail that Rucka has put into creating the world of Lazarus. It's refreshing to see that kind of dedication and thoughtfulness. I've been dropping a few too many titles because of cheap tactics or horrible characterizations. This book and some other ones like it are huge breath of fresh air.
Peter Vest I stole your N64

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

This is one of my favorite series too, but I have a question for everyone who reads this series:

During my re-read of the Volume 1 trade in the opening pages, Forever is put down by a few guys that are considered "Waste." If she is such an elite super soldier, how did 3-4 guys get the drop on her? Is Rucka doing this just to show us right up front that Forever is "different" and can be brought back from near death? Later on, Forever uses her sword to take off the hand of an elite soldier who is pointing a gun in her face, but the "waste" was able to shoot her up full of holes. :? Either way, I love the series and I have added it to my monthly pull list. :thumb:

It is the same feeling I got from reading the first issue of VEI's "Bloodshot." Here is this super soldier that cannot be killed and he gets whacked three times in the first issue! :lol:

Michael
mkb28

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chriskay99 »

mkb28 wrote:This is one of my favorite series too, but I have a question for everyone who reads this series:

During my re-read of the Volume 1 trade in the opening pages, Forever is put down by a few guys that are considered "Waste." If she is such an elite super soldier, how did 3-4 guys get the drop on her? Is Rucka doing this just to show us right up front that Forever is "different" and can be brought back from near death? Later on, Forever uses her sword to take off the hand of an elite soldier who is pointing a gun in her face, but the "waste" was able to shoot her up full of holes. :? Either way, I love the series and I have added it to my monthly pull list. :thumb:

It is the same feeling I got from reading the first issue of VEI's "Bloodshot." Here is this super soldier that cannot be killed and he gets whacked three times in the first issue! :lol:

Michael
mkb28
Since we don't see the fight in the first issue, who knows what could have transpired to bring Forever down in the initial pages of issue #1. Perhaps we'll get a flashback and see that something major happened that weakened her. Or maybe it doesn't matter and you're right, they're just showing how badass she is. I think your comparisons to Bloodshot aren't that far off, perhaps. Yes, they're an elite solider but they also get their *SQUEE* kicked from time to time. I just re-read the first trade tonight, and plan to re-read the second arc before it comes back from hiatus. :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

chriskay99 wrote:
mkb28 wrote:This is one of my favorite series too, but I have a question for everyone who reads this series:

Michael
mkb28
Since we don't see the fight in the first issue, who knows what could have transpired to bring Forever down in the initial pages of issue #1. Perhaps we'll get a flashback and see that something major happened that weakened her. Or maybe it doesn't matter and you're right, they're just showing how badass she is. I think your comparisons to Bloodshot aren't that far off, perhaps. Yes, they're an elite solider but they also get their *SQUEE* kicked from time to time. I just re-read the first trade tonight, and plan to re-read the second arc before it comes back from hiatus. :thumb:
Good points, Brother! :) Love this series! :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

hkupo
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain/Henry

Post by hkupo »

Michael
mkb28
There could be a back story but I think it was just to illustrate her healing factor. I'm just happy that Rucka has kept away from letting her get jobbed constantly like wolverine to demonstrate that ability. Showing her constantly getting beat up by lesser people takes away from her fighting skills.
Peter Vest I stole your N64

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

how is the second arc compared to the first? I picked up the trade and liked it so I'm curious as to how the next issues stack up. Haven't heard anything negative so far.. so I'm guessing I'll probably just buy it when the vol 2 hits.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chriskay99 »

Aram wrote:how is the second arc compared to the first? I picked up the trade and liked it so I'm curious as to how the next issues stack up. Haven't heard anything negative so far.. so I'm guessing I'll probably just buy it when the vol 2 hits.
It's been a while since I read it but I enjoyed the second arc. Kind of goes into Forever's back story with some flashbacks to her as a young girl. It also focuses on developing the world a bit, with focusing on some people preparing for the Lift. Fleshes things out a bit more and worth picking up IMO. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

chriskay99 wrote:
Aram wrote:how is the second arc compared to the first? I picked up the trade and liked it so I'm curious as to how the next issues stack up. Haven't heard anything negative so far.. so I'm guessing I'll probably just buy it when the vol 2 hits.
It's been a while since I read it but I enjoyed the second arc. Kind of goes into Forever's back story with some flashbacks to her as a young girl. It also focuses on developing the world a bit, with focusing on some people preparing for the Lift. Fleshes things out a bit more and worth picking up IMO. :thumb:
The second arc isn't done yet, is it? I have up to #8, I don't recall getting the impression that it was the end of 'Lift'...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chriskay99 »

grendeljd wrote:The second arc isn't done yet, is it? I have up to #8, I don't recall getting the impression that it was the end of 'Lift'...
Sorry, yeah the Lift story continues in #9 which is out in July. It'd been a while since I read it and I knew they took a few months off.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

chriskay99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:The second arc isn't done yet, is it? I have up to #8, I don't recall getting the impression that it was the end of 'Lift'...
Sorry, yeah the Lift story continues in #9 which is out in July. It'd been a while since I read it and I knew they took a few months off.
I was wondering why it seemed like a long time since 8 came out - I was starting to worry I had missed the next one.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

#9 comes out this Wednesday! :clap:
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

sonicdan wrote:#9 comes out this Wednesday! :clap:
Awesome, looking forward to it! :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

grendeljd wrote:
sonicdan wrote:#9 comes out this Wednesday! :clap:
Awesome, looking forward to it! :thumb:
Me too! :thumb: This will wrap up the second arc and I believe the Volume 2 trade will soon follow.

Good stuff! :clap:

Michael
Mkb28

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Well, considering our government declared corporations were people a few years ago and now today's Supreme Court decision granted those corporate people religious rights, Lazarus is starting to seem less fiction and more prophecy.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I just finished reading the second trade, which comprises issues 5-9, and this series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I read the trade straight through and then cracked open the individual issues to read the "Letters" column and all the backstory.

Watch for the upcoming Deluxe HC edition which will collect issues 1-9 and the timeline, sketch designs, etc. Rucka states it should be ready in November, so watch for it next month in Previews.

A special "thank you" goes out to Intrepidxc, who turned me onto this series. :thumb:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

mkb28 wrote:
I just finished reading the second trade, which comprises issues 5-9, and this series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I read the trade straight through and then cracked open the individual issues to read the "Letters" column and all the backstory.

Watch for the upcoming Deluxe HC edition which will collect issues 1-9 and the timeline, sketch designs, etc. Rucka states it should be ready in November, so watch for it next month in Previews.

A special "thank you" goes out to Intrepidxc, who turned me onto this series. :thumb:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Now I'm left to wonder whether to buy that Deluxe HC, or wait on a possible omnibus......Oh, decisions, decisions.

I'll undergo similar contemplation when an East of West Deluxe HC comes out. Velvet, as well!

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Loved the second tpb. This while story thus far is a 4/5 for me and has been consistently good
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics