Lazarus

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Lazarus

Post by mkb28 »

Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Aram wrote:how is the second arc compared to the first? I picked up the trade and liked it so I'm curious as to how the next issues stack up. Haven't heard anything negative so far.. so I'm guessing I'll probably just buy it when the vol 2 hits.
I just finished reading the second trade, which comprises issues 5-9, and this series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I read the trade straight through and then cracked open the individual issues to read the "Letters" column and all the backstory.

Watch for the upcoming Deluxe HC edition which will collect issues 1-9 and the timeline, sketch designs, etc. Rucka states it should be ready in November, so watch for it next month in Previews.

A special "thank you" goes out to Intrepidxc, who turned me onto this series. :thumb:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Now I'm left to wonder whether to buy that Deluxe HC, or wait on a possible omnibus......Oh, decisions, decisions.

I'll undergo similar contemplation when an East of West Deluxe HC comes out. Velvet, as well!
I am tossing around the idea of skipping the Deluxe HC and when the first 25 issues or so are released, binding them into a single HC volume. That way you will have all the letters columns, maps, and backstory pages in a single volume. It is the same strategy I am considering with my VEI books, since issue 25 seems to be a perfect stopping point to bind the first volume.

Mkb28

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

First, #9 was a terrific ending to the Lifted arc. I hope we continue to see more of the Barret family as the series goes.

Second, my fan letter was the first one printed in #9 which brought a giddy smile to my face when I saw it. :D

Third, for printing your letter, Rucka and Lark send you a patch of the Carlyle Family crest. I received mine in the mail today and it is sweet. :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

String wrote:First, #9 was a terrific ending to the Lifted arc. I hope we continue to see more of the Barret family as the series goes.

Second, my fan letter was the first one printed in #9 which brought a giddy smile to my face when I saw it. :D

Third, for printing your letter, Rucka and Lark send you a patch of the Carlyle Family crest. I received mine in the mail today and it is sweet. :thumb:
:clap: I need to write a letter and get one myself. Nice job! :)

Mkb28

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

String wrote:Third, for printing your letter, Rucka and Lark send you a patch of the Carlyle Family crest. I received mine in the mail today and it is sweet. :thumb:

Congrats! I've heard about those being given out for letters and also at cons, I think? Not sure if or when Rucka will make it down here. I should get on sending them a letter! Well done!!
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Aram wrote:how is the second arc compared to the first? I picked up the trade and liked it so I'm curious as to how the next issues stack up. Haven't heard anything negative so far.. so I'm guessing I'll probably just buy it when the vol 2 hits.
I just finished reading the second trade, which comprises issues 5-9, and this series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I read the trade straight through and then cracked open the individual issues to read the "Letters" column and all the backstory.

Watch for the upcoming Deluxe HC edition which will collect issues 1-9 and the timeline, sketch designs, etc. Rucka states it should be ready in November, so watch for it next month in Previews.

A special "thank you" goes out to Intrepidxc, who turned me onto this series. :thumb:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Now I'm left to wonder whether to buy that Deluxe HC, or wait on a possible omnibus......Oh, decisions, decisions.

I'll undergo similar contemplation when an East of West Deluxe HC comes out. Velvet, as well!
I am tossing around the idea of skipping the Deluxe HC and when the first 25 issues or so are released, binding them into a single HC volume. That way you will have all the letters columns, maps, and backstory pages in a single volume. It is the same strategy I am considering with my VEI books, since issue 25 seems to be a perfect stopping point to bind the first volume.

Mkb28

Unless you don't care about the monetary value of the comics, you might not want to do that. Lazarus #1 could become fairly valuable as time goes on.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Mkb28

Unless you don't care about the monetary value of the comics, you might not want to do that. Lazarus #1 could become fairly valuable as time goes on.
Good point to consider. :) I have been slowly collecting all the number 1 covers and I have three different versions. I probably would pick up a reader copy of #1 to bind and keep my other #1's for my collection. I also want to buy a Lazarus #1 CGC 9.8 slab, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Mkb28

Savant

Post by Savant »

mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Mkb28

Good point to consider. :) I have been slowly collecting all the number 1 covers and I have three different versions. I probably would pick up a reader copy of #1 to bind and keep my other #1's for my collection. I also want to buy a Lazarus #1 CGC 9.8 slab, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Mkb28

I've decided to buy the hardcover in November (As well as subsequent hardcover collections of the title), but if an omnibus comes out I'll give the smaller hardcover collections to my son. He'll be a little older by that time and will appreciate the dense storyline more than he would now.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Savant wrote:
mkb28 wrote: I just finished reading the second trade, which comprises issues 5-9, and this series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I read the trade straight through and then cracked open the individual issues to read the "Letters" column and all the backstory.

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

Mkb28

Mkb28

I've decided to buy the hardcover in November (As well as subsequent hardcover collections of the title), but if an omnibus comes out I'll give the smaller hardcover collections to my son. He'll be a little older by that time and will appreciate the dense storyline more than he would now.
I like your idea. :thumb: My oldest son will be 16 soon and I think he would like this series. Maybe I can give him the trades once I make the HC edition.

Mkb28

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:First, #9 was a terrific ending to the Lifted arc. I hope we continue to see more of the Barret family as the series goes.

Congrats, that's really cool! Can we see a pic of the patch?

I have been tempted to write in to the book many times, have yet to do so. Anyone here read this title & Invincible, and read the letter columns of both? I had a giggle when I saw that Andrew Shaw got a letter published in Lazarus, and judging by his response, Greg clearly did not know about him as he asked him why he even bothered to write in... :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String

Post by String »

Pic of the Carlyle Family logo patch (sorry if it's a tad blurry, did the best I could with wife's smartphone :lol: )

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

String:

That is awesome! :clap: Thanks for sharing. :)

Family Above All,

Michael
Mkb28

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

That patch rules! Congrats again, String! :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Did anybody pick up the hardcover trade collection that came out last week? It looks awesome. I wanted to flip through it but the book is sealed in plastic :(

Still loving this series, BTW - the current arc is very cool, and the world building that continues to occur is staggeringly good.

String

Post by String »

The HC is terrific. The bonus content is amazing, insight into Lark's creative process with the covers, a collage of the alternate covers, finally a world map detailing each Family's zone of control, an extended timeline, and thorough bios of every Family. The amount of background detail is insane, LOVE it!

As for the current storyline, so good. The ballroom dancing scenes were great, Rucka mentions how he sometimes gets flak for having word-less panels or scenes. But if the story content is strong and dramatic enough to carry itself sans words, then I think you've done an excellent job.

The poker game amongst the varied Lazari was very insightful. They almost form a social class of their own, with their own values and codes. And I'm so glad they decided to pick up the earlier thread of a possible relationship between Forever and Joacqium. Their after-game walk was great, while the dialogue was sparse, it was so perfect.

This title just keeps getting better and better with every issue.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:The HC is terrific. The bonus content is amazing, insight into Lark's creative process with the covers, a collage of the alternate covers, finally a world map detailing each Family's zone of control, an extended timeline, and thorough bios of every Family. The amount of background detail is insane, LOVE it!

As for the current storyline, so good. The ballroom dancing scenes were great, Rucka mentions how he sometimes gets flak for having word-less panels or scenes. But if the story content is strong and dramatic enough to carry itself sans words, then I think you've done an excellent job.

The poker game amongst the varied Lazari was very insightful. They almost form a social class of their own, with their own values and codes. And I'm so glad they decided to pick up the earlier thread of a possible relationship between Forever and Joacqium. Their after-game walk was great, while the dialogue was sparse, it was so perfect.

This title just keeps getting better and better with every issue.
I got some bonus money last week for completing another art commision, so I decided to treat myself to the Lazarus hardcover.

So. Freaking. Awesome. Love the world map!!!

String, I'm still jealous that you got a Carlyle patch - they're only giving away stickers at the moment. I want to write in and try to score a patch when they have them again in the future.

And I totally agree on the current storyline - loved the poker game scene, and personally I'm a fan of those moments with little to no dialogue. The way Rucka & Lark handle the dramatic notes in the sequential breakdowns is excellent storytelling in my opinion.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Read #14 this week. So damn good! So many revelations!

I can't believe Forever didn't kill her brother anyway! I guess all the shocks were too much for her to process. I'm glad Jonah revealed that he didn't hit Johanna - I had recently re-read #1-9 in the hardcover collection & realized she basically got away with staying under Malcolm's radar. She is a dangerous unknown element, I was wondering if they were going to find out about her somehow before she caused some serious damage to the family.

And congrats to String for getting a letter printed - again!! :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Lazarus #15 - anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Aakk!! soo good!

String

Post by String »

Considering that half, nay three-fourths of #15 consisted of just a singular sword-fought duel, it was amazing.

Rucka may yet again receive flak for not having any 'proper' amount of dialogue or word balloons, but jeez, who needs it when you have Lark at the artistic helm? That sword fight between Eve and Sonja is easily one of the best designed and portrayed action sequences that I've read in a comic in quite some time.

And what's equally as good is the reactionary shots surrounding that fight. Artimage's comments about 'drinks will be served' only highlighted the Roman gladiatorial feel of the whole combat, as the Families watched it from above on the balconies, entertained to a vast degree. But what I found interesting were the few shots of the other Lazarii, looks of concerns over their comrades' fate as well as the recognition that any of them could have to face this uneasy scenario at any time.

The Conclave arc is just as brutal and entertaining as any that have come so far. The Family machinations, the 'fate' of Johan, Eve finally thinking for herself (foregoing her medicines? Brave move) and that ending! If, as Rucka alluded to in the letters pages, the next issue and arc may focus on smaller elements of the world, that is a heck of a cliffhanger ending. If that event proves true, how will it affect Eve and her recent questionings?

Damn, this book is firing on all cylinders right now! :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

grendeljd wrote:Lazarus #15 - anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Aakk!! soo good!
I just assembled all the books from my short box that make up the "Conclave" arc and I can't wait to read the individual issues. :cloud9: For me, I have to read one arc at a time to remember what is going on. :lol:

I also took everyone's advice and I am selling my two trade volumes and buying the HC volume. :thumb:

Mkb28

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

String wrote:Considering that half, nay three-fourths of #15 consisted of just a singular sword-fought duel, it was amazing.

Rucka may yet again receive flak for not having any 'proper' amount of dialogue or word balloons, but jeez, who needs it when you have Lark at the artistic helm? That sword fight between Eve and Sonja is easily one of the best designed and portrayed action sequences that I've read in a comic in quite some time.

And what's equally as good is the reactionary shots surrounding that fight. Artimage's comments about 'drinks will be served' only highlighted the Roman gladiatorial feel of the whole combat, as the Families watched it from above on the balconies, entertained to a vast degree. But what I found interesting were the few shots of the other Lazarii, looks of concerns over their comrades' fate as well as the recognition that any of them could have to face this uneasy scenario at any time.

The Conclave arc is just as brutal and entertaining as any that have come so far. The Family machinations, the 'fate' of Johan, Eve finally thinking for herself (foregoing her medicines? Brave move) and that ending! If, as Rucka alluded to in the letters pages, the next issue and arc may focus on smaller elements of the world, that is a heck of a cliffhanger ending. If that event proves true, how will it affect Eve and her recent questionings?

Can't agree with you more! :thumb: This series is, hands-down, one of the best that I am reading. I would love to see this book turned into a weekly TV series. :cloud9:

Michael
mkb28

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

I'm little behind on this series (I think I'm on issue #7), but I just wanted to drop in and say this is one of the best series being published by Image. The backmatter of each issue really enhances the book. I love the mock corporate ads and the logo designs. A lot of unnecessary labor, but a real treat to see the world of LAZARUS.

String

Post by String »

cray_ws wrote:I'm little behind on this series (I think I'm on issue #7), but I just wanted to drop in and say this is one of the best series being published by Image. The backmatter of each issue really enhances the book. I love the mock corporate ads and the logo designs. A lot of unnecessary labor, but a real treat to see the world of LAZARUS.
The mock corporate ads on the back covers are a real nice touch, another cool element that enhances the immersive feel of the book. That the ads are in the native language of that specific corporation (ie Family) is more impressive. :clap:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

mkb28 wrote:
String wrote:Considering that half, nay three-fourths of #15 consisted of just a singular sword-fought duel, it was amazing.

Can't agree with you more! :thumb: This series is, hands-down, one of the best that I am reading. I would love to see this book turned into a weekly TV series. :cloud9:

Michael
mkb28
Looks like I might get my wish! :cloud9:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... g_bulletin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mkb28

String

Post by String »

Wow, that's terrific news! :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

:o

That's awsome news!! Its a perfect story to translate into a TV show. Nice to hear there was a competitive bidding war for the rights.