ROM at IDW Discussion Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: ROM at IDW Discussion Thread

Post by ironherc »

grendeljd wrote:They're combining ROM & Micronauts into one series? Ugggh... facepalm
so I take it isnt good then :|

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ironherc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:They're combining ROM & Micronauts into one series? Ugggh... facepalm
I tried out Micronauts & really wanted to enjoy it, but I think I only read 2 or 3 issues before giving up on it.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

grendeljd wrote:
ironherc wrote:
I tried out Micronauts & really wanted to enjoy it, but I think I only read 2 or 3 issues before giving up on it.

Maybe ROM was called to join them to help them be in a better book xd.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

There's a line of toys for SDCC being done for Revolution characters. First toys for Micronauts, ROM and MASK in like a decade or more.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ironherc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
ironherc wrote:

Maybe ROM was called to join them to help them be in a better book xd.

The sad reality is that ROM, Action Man, and The Micronauts haven't had the huge multimedia push that Transformers and G.I. Joe have had and they also been out of spotlight for a long and many fans don't know who they. Who knows if IDW/Hasbro and Marvel will ever get around to sorting out the reprint rights so who knows who will be reprinting the Marvel stuff. and ROM and The Micronauts are at best a cult classics. There are a LOT Transformers and G.I. Joe fans that absolutely HATE the Hasbro Universe. Who aren't buying any the books because they don't want to be burden with endless crossover events like those that Marvel and DC are always doing and/or they have NO interest in the other books.

Also if giant alien robots attacked Earth what would be the point of Cobra and Venom they would either be wiped out or join forces with G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K. to stop the Decepticons? Also with alien/cosmic threats like: Unicron, The Decepticons, the Quintessons, The Dire Wraiths, and Baron Karza wouldn't that make threats like Cobra and Venom seem like small potatoes compared to them?
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:59:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:There's a line of toys for SDCC being done for Revolution characters. First toys for Micronauts, ROM and MASK in like a decade or more.
Sweet! If you happen to see a link with pics, post it please!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:There's a line of toys for SDCC being done for Revolution characters. First toys for Micronauts, ROM and MASK in like a decade or more.
Never mind, found one;

http://news.toyark.com/2017/07/10/gi-jo ... set-258866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Never mind, found one;

http://news.toyark.com/2017/07/10/gi-jo ... set-258866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Also on sale at Canada's fan expo."

:thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

so the 1st issue of the crossover with the transformers csme out and seems pretty good. just wondering what happened to the main book. haven't seen a new issue in a while

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ironherc wrote:so the 1st issue of the crossover with the transformers csme out and seems pretty good. just wondering what happened to the main book. haven't seen a new issue in a while
I didn't pick up that Transformers crossover issue. I did pick up #12, which came out today though!

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

grendeljd wrote:
ironherc wrote:so the 1st issue of the crossover with the transformers csme out and seems pretty good. just wondering what happened to the main book. haven't seen a new issue in a while
I didn't pick up that Transformers crossover issue. I did pick up #12, which came out today though!

just need to go pick that up then. also I think the second issue good the crossover came out this week.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I am thinking that IDW merging The Transformers with G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., ROM, The Micronauts, Action Man, and the upcoming The Visionaries was a mistake. Since none of the non-TF books seem to be doing well and they have to have a Transformers crossover mini-series to help introduce them.

What they should have done is launched this universe as an "all ages" (which doesn't mean you can't have death and massive destruction just not all the time) and/or back-to-basics attitude and have each series in a shared universe without all the crossovers (or at the very least wait a year or two before you do one) with mentions and guest stars they should also have included all new Transformers and G.I. Joe series called Transformers: The New Adventures and G.I. Joe: The New Adventures that are more for new and/or younger, and older readers who are sick of the grimdark and just want a back-to-basics with the Autobots vs. the Decepticons and G.I. Joe vs. Cobra, ROM vs. the Dire Wraiths, The Micronauts vs. Baron Karza, and etc. This way you can keep the doors open for anything else Hasbro wants to revive or add in other series that IDW has already done for Hasbro regardless if it's The Inhumanoids, Robotix, My Little Pony, Battle Beasts, Jem & The Holograms, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, The Visionaries, and etc without having to constantly bending over backwards to try and explain they fit into a pre-existing universe where there are no giant monsters living under the Earth or characters with magic. Since this would be an all-new all-different universe those kinds of things wouldn't have to be retconned.

While keeping The Transformers: Lost Light, Transformers: Optimus Prime and maybe a third ongoing series (or a group of mini-series or one-shots) for older readers and/or for fans who enjoy a more thoughtful take on the Transformers.
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero would kept as a direct continuation/sequel to the original Marvel series and would be around as long as writer Larry Hama would want to do it and maybe try a more mature take with the IDW G.I. Joe Universe.

Keep them separate from the Hasbro Universe though.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:I am thinking that IDW merging The Transformers with G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., ROM, The Micronauts, Action Man, and the upcoming The Visionaries was a mistake. Since none of the non-TF books seem to be doing well and they have to have a Transformers crossover mini-series to help introduce them.
Agreed. ROM has already ended with #14 out last week, there's another big (who cares) crossover happening as the next event to throw everyone together for some flimsy reason, and then ROM will return to get mashed into a single shared-title book with the Micronauts. I won't be buying that series.

It's too bad, because I was really enjoying the ROM book.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

so i finished reading the ROM series and it was left in a cliffhanger, read the first strike ROM cause the guys at my store saw I'm one of the few people who buys it there so they got me a copy and it was a team up with the micronauts. I haven't read about them but you know what? It was a solid adventure where it leads to the new series.
Now my thoughts about the new ROM/Micronauts book. Accoding to Amazon it's going to be a 5 issue minis series which I'm cool with it sorta. But the first issue was actually solid, it's the same team on ROM and it was fun and i'm super excited for it. I was worried that the size difference would make this a bit harder to write but it actually works. Baron Karza is actually pretty darn cool and very powerful for his size and his match with ROM was pretty dope. So yeah, I actually recommend it.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ironherc wrote:so i finished reading the ROM series and it was left in a cliffhanger, read the first strike ROM cause the guys at my store saw I'm one of the few people who buys it there so they got me a copy and it was a team up with the micronauts. I haven't read about them but you know what? It was a solid adventure where it leads to the new series.
Now my thoughts about the new ROM/Micronauts book. Accoding to Amazon it's going to be a 5 issue minis series which I'm cool with it sorta. But the first issue was actually solid, it's the same team on ROM and it was fun and i'm super excited for it. I was worried that the size difference would make this a bit harder to write but it actually works. Baron Karza is actually pretty darn cool and very powerful for his size and his match with ROM was pretty dope. So yeah, I actually recommend it.
As I mentioned in my previous post - I was totally planning to skip the ROM/Micronauts comic, but when I heard it was only going to be a 5-part mini series I decided to give #1 a shot. Haven't read it yet though. I also got the ROM First Strike issue but did not buy anything else related to that event.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

grendeljd wrote:
ironherc wrote:so i finished reading the ROM series and it was left in a cliffhanger, read the first strike ROM cause the guys at my store saw I'm one of the few people who buys it there so they got me a copy and it was a team up with the micronauts. I haven't read about them but you know what? It was a solid adventure where it leads to the new series.
As I mentioned in my previous post - I was totally planning to skip the ROM/Micronauts comic, but when I heard it was only going to be a 5-part mini series I decided to give #1 a shot. Haven't read it yet though. I also got the ROM First Strike issue but did not buy anything else related to that event.
i hope you will enjoy it cause i did a lot. im just worried about what will happen to ROM after that mini-series is over. Will he go and team up with MASK? or Visionaries? xd
(also so *SQUEE* off that visionaries vs transformers was given to a very *SQUEE* writer that i don't like >_>)

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ironherc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
i hope you will enjoy it cause i did a lot. im just worried about what will happen to ROM after that mini-series is over. Will he go and team up with MASK? or Visionaries? xd
(also so *SQUEE* off that visionaries vs transformers was given to a very *SQUEE* writer that i don't like >_>)

Get used to it, IDW does that a LOT.

Transformers fans have had to "suffer" with the works of Shane McCarthy, Mike Costa, Dan Abbott, Andy Lanning, Simon Furman, John Barber, and others over the years.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

Cyberstrike wrote:
ironherc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Get used to it, IDW does that a LOT.

Transformers fans have had to "suffer" with the works of Shane McCarthy, Mike Costa, Dan Abbott, Andy Lanning, Simon Furman, John Barber, and others over the years.

I'm not a big transformers fan or anything like that, but the thing that got me going ughh over it is that i actually i'm interested in the visionaries since they have a cool premise, the fact is that they are not only been introduced in a crossover, but the fact that the writer is know for been a low tier talent who can't write any good books and keeps getting hired by everyone and overall a person who should had been fired by her behavior online.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ironherc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
I did enjoy it! That was a fun issue, I'll probably stick with it for the duration. Interesting mix-up with the Wraiths & Karza working together. This "team-up" story feels like an entertaining young adult cartoon show, with just a slightly darker tone.

I am also very curious about the long-term ROM plan after this is done. I really do dislike following a character over a series of mini-series instead of a consistent core title, but so far have enjoyed what they are doing with ROM. Hopefully he'll get another solo run for at least a 12-issue stint or so.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Read #2 of the ROM/Micronauts series the other day.

Continuing to enjoy this book more than I expected - its largely thanks to Christos Gage's writing. Unlike when I first tried the Micronauts comic when it launched at IDW, I actually like & enjoy the various micronaut characters appearing in this book. Particularly liked how ROM & Acroyear are beginning to bond & show respect for each other. There was a cool moment where Acroyearremoved his helmet to reveal he has a rotting decayed face, and that was so cool I felt inspired to draw the guy.

The art is really slick too, between the drawing & colourist's style, it feels like looking at some sweet animation in each panel.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Unicorn is going to try eat ROM's homeworld at the start of The Darkest Hour crossover #0 will be one of IDW's FCBD. Hasbro has also stated that this will wrap up several of the IDW comic book continuities.

Link to my source.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:Unicorn is going to try eat ROM's homeworld at the start of The Darkest Hour crossover #0 will be one of IDW's FCBD. Hasbro has also stated that this will wrap up several of the IDW comic book continuities.

Link to my source.
Man, I am beyond tired of this Hasbro shared universe stuff. I just want to read a fun yet semi-serious & entertaining ROM comic without constantly having all these semi-related toyline properties getting smashed together for one pointless event after another. I'd also prefer to read Transformer comics set in their own separate universe too.

Funcha
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

grendeljd wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Unicorn is going to try eat ROM's homeworld at the start of The Darkest Hour crossover #0 will be one of IDW's FCBD. Hasbro has also stated that this will wrap up several of the IDW comic book continuities.

Link to my source.
Man, I am beyond tired of this Hasbro shared universe stuff. I just want to read a fun yet semi-serious & entertaining ROM comic without constantly having all these semi-related toyline properties getting smashed together for one pointless event after another. I'd also prefer to read Transformer comics set in their own separate universe too.
Agreed. I love ROM, but wish he didn’t have to be shoehorned into the Hasbro comic universe. After this next Unicron storyline I may stop reading ROM altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Funcha wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Link to my source.
Agreed. I love ROM, but wish he didn’t have to be shoehorned into the Hasbro comic universe. After this next Unicron storyline I may stop reading ROM altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as there is still some kind of well written/drawn core ROM comic I can pick up regularly while ignoring any event crossovers, I'm up for it. As of #3 of this ROM/Micronauts book, I'm still really enjoying the story & art. Christos Gage is doing a great job writing this stuff. :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

And still feeling the same after the 4th issue of ROM/Micronauts - just some good clean sci-fi adventure fun with a slightly dark undertone to it. Really love the art on this series still, I'm very much into how every panel looks like an animation cell from a very detailed cartoon.

I also picked up the Tales Of The Solstar Order one-shot, which was just a collected re-print of a back-up story that ran in the last few issues of the regular ROM book - but with some cool extras. There are 8 pages of uncoloured, inked artwork alongside scripts that look fantastic. Really awesome to see Sal Buscema's inks over Guy Dorians pencils, it is beautiful classic looking work. I love that Sal is still active. :thumb: :thumb: