Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by hulk181man »

greg wrote:I've looked at Amazing Spider-man #121 several times as being undervalued, and I keep coming back to the fact that Spider-man's butt is the focal point in the center of the cover and I want to pay money for Spider-man's butt!!!!

:lol:

I'll go ahead and prepare the quote thread for you guys:
greg wrote:I want to pay money for Spider-man's butt!!!!

Fixed it for ya....

FWIW, I was happy to finally pick up a copy last year....it's only mid-grade but an amazing read as IMJ articulated so effectively.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

hulk181man wrote:
greg wrote:I've looked at Amazing Spider-man #121 several times as being undervalued, and I keep coming back to the fact that Spider-man's butt is the focal point in the center of the cover and I want to pay money for Spider-man's butt!!!!

I'll go ahead and prepare the quote thread for you guys:
greg wrote:I want to pay money for Spider-man's butt!!!!

Fixed it for ya....

FWIW, I was happy to finally pick up a copy last year....it's only mid-grade but an amazing read as IMJ articulated so effectively.
You don't have to falsify my quote when there are several ASM #121 fans in this topic already.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ASM 121 and 122 will be my next purchases. I want these so bad.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:ASM 121 and 122 will be my next purchases. I want these so bad.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
122 is still pretty affordable....I picked up a low grade for $20 or so not that long ago.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

FF #46 first Crimson Dynamo. Even if they never appear in the Marvel movies they're still one of the major foes of Iron Man. You can get a decent grade for not that much. I picked up a F copy and a F copy of issue #45 (1st Pepper Potts) for not too much yesterday.
Last edited by JCP on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Whoa. There's a character(s) called Crimson Tide? Rtr.

JCP

Post by JCP »

possumgrease wrote:Whoa. There's a character(s) called Crimson Tide? Rtr.
Whoops! Crimson Dynamo. Lol.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

(Removes FF46 from cart) ok

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Roll, Dynamo, Roll.

Do you mean Tales of Suspense 46? Fantastic Four 46 is the first full appearance of Black Bolt.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

New Mutants 100, the first appearance of X-Force, seems undervalued to me.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

JCP

Post by JCP »

greatbrandino11 wrote:Roll, Dynamo, Roll.

Do you mean Tales of Suspense 46? Fantastic Four 46 is the first full appearance of Black Bolt.
Correct. I've been putting in 75-hour work weeks the last few weeks. My brain is toast.

greatbrandino11

JCP wrote:

Correct. I've been putting in 75-hour work weeks the last few weeks. My brain is toast.
:thumb:

I've actually been thinking about downsizing my collection so I can afford to go after ToS 39-99. I will get to it.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I've always liked Tombstone as a character that's underappreciated. As a copper key, it's pretty cheap, especially for SM villain. I think you can still grab his first app. for $5.

JCP

Post by JCP »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
JCP wrote:

I've actually been thinking about downsizing my collection so I can afford to go after ToS 39-99. I will get to it.
I picked up #45 (Pepper Potts) and #46 (Roll Dynamo Roll lol) at a LCS needing money to pay for their space at Phoenix ComiCon. I low balled them and they went for it along with a VG copy of ASM #129. Made a long work month much more palatable.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

This Crimson Dynamo thing I'm reading and I'm like "WHOA WHOA WHOA hold on here slick...."

greatbrandino11

JCP wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
JCP wrote:

I picked up #45 (Pepper Potts) and #46 (Roll Dynamo Roll lol) at a LCS needing money to pay for their space at Phoenix ComiCon. I low balled them and they went for it along with a VG copy of ASM #129. Made a long work month much more palatable.
I picked up a nice looking ToS 45 last year on eBay. I love Pepper. The book looked nice and the seller answered all my specific questions. I made a respectable offer and he took it. I bought it hoping it might possibly garner and VF rating from CGC. I got it and thought it had a serious chance. It was pressed and graded and came back and 6.5. I was disappointed. I was hoping for the 7 range at least. I may sell it down the road and break even on my purchase and go after a higher copy.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I don't mean to be a bit off topic, but coincidentally I've been thinking of picking up a couple TOS Masterworks with Iron Man and Cap so I can read those early stories. They're supposed to be great stuff.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:I don't mean to be a bit off topic, but coincidentally I've been thinking of picking up a couple TOS Masterworks with Iron Man and Cap so I can read those early stories. They're supposed to be great stuff.
There are a lot of first appearances of various stuff in the original Tales of Suspense run that get overlooked - 1st Peggy Carter, Cosmic Cube, SA Red Skull, Iron Man, tons of villains, Hawkeye, supporting cast, etc. It's a great run to read, but they read very slowly and sometimes you dredge through them out of respect for the Silver Age material.

On that note, I buy the Masterworks volumes as well as the Omnibus, but I only buy the Gold Edition hardcover Masterworks. Some of them are super limited in production run too....

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Great post, IMJ. I'll watch for those first appearances. That description of slowly drudging through stories out of respect for the Silver Age is great. I've certainly experienced that.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Those True Believers reprints are getting hot or is it me???? Hulk 181 selling for 10 bucks; not listed, sold. These are 1 dollar books! :o
I already told my LCS to keep all of them (10). Not gonna sell this- It's really a treat for this old school (and well, modern school :lol: he was a teacher after all) Wolverine fan.

I am really missing reading some good Logan stuff. Already signed for the final arc of Lemire's OML (Past Lives), because *SQUEE* me, I want those covers (21-24): and here I thought I would never buy a Marvel floppy ever again.
facepalm
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I have to think those ultra-rare modern newsstands are undervalued. I'm talking about books like ASM with the barcode that says 'friendly neighborhood spiderman'. I will be on the look-out for books like these at cons/shows from now on - very few people know about them.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

GGSAE wrote:I have to think those ultra-rare modern newsstands are undervalued. I'm talking about books like ASM with the barcode that says 'friendly neighborhood spiderman'. I will be on the look-out for books like these at cons/shows from now on - very few people know about them.
I think that's a good assessment. I was unaware of the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man barcode variants.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

StarBrand wrote:
GGSAE wrote:I have to think those ultra-rare modern newsstands are undervalued. I'm talking about books like ASM with the barcode that says 'friendly neighborhood spiderman'. I will be on the look-out for books like these at cons/shows from now on - very few people know about them.
I think that's a good assessment. I was unaware of the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man barcode variants.
There are others...I'm saying from a cost/risk perspective there's very few comics I can think of that can be had for cover price but with real serious potential. At a worst case it gives you fun goal to collect them without costing too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

On that note, there is still a market for Mark Jeweler's variants. They are all over the place in F+ or worse, but VF- or better are very tough grabs. I'd guess that true Marvel keys as MJv's would be amazing finds, but the real deal would be to supplement your runs with them for a set.

I've been buying them for my Iron Man boxes for years, but I only find them in an acceptable condition and price now and again, so I actually only have a few.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Shazam #1 | DC, 02/1973
-1st Appearance of Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel after Golden Age
-1st publication and introduction of Captain Marvel as we've come to know him in the DC Universe
-Actually maintains continuity between the Golden and Bronze Ages with a story explaining the character's disappearance and reemergence into the DCU

There are many a Captain Marvel's running around comics publication. The original Captain Marvel, sometimes mistakenly referred to as "Shazam" began as a Fawcett Comics character in the 40's, but this issue is where Captain Marvel enters the DC Comics Universe as a peer to the Brave and the Bold of DC: Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. This book features a great a great Bronze era cover with Silver Age sensibilities, as well as three Captain Marvel tales. The first recounts the characters origins, the second explains the Marvel families disappearance from mainstream comics, and the third reprints one of the character's Golden Age adventures.

This book has a unique charm to it that is waiting to for the market to exploit. DC's Captain Marvel has been popping up with relevance in DC's more prolific events - Kingdom Come he was front and center against Superman, and the character has been adapted into DC Animation in several of the more popular direct to DVD movies. Also, with the character slated for a 2019 DC Film Universe movie, as well as a spin-off featuring the Rock as Captain Marvel's arch-enemy, "Black Adam"; this book is an undervalued gem that has significant potential to strike like lightening on the market.