Chuck Dixon on politics and comics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Chuck Dixon on politics and comics

Post by Sven the Returned »

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/progra ... id=1666932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of you will find the host insuferable. Also i disagree with him about his statement that superheroes are just badly written. No matter who writes them that niche has all the costumers it will ever get unless the price of comics radically drops.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Chuck Dixon on politics and comics

Post by IMJ »

If this is the interview where Dixon comments that he went back and analyzed his royalties and found that people were previously speculating on books off the newsstand, that was a great interview. And he's right, IMO. I was there for it. As a kid when a comic was a buck, you would just grab one that you found that looked cool and check it out. If you liked it, you stuck with it, and over time built a back issue collection.

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Chuck Dixon...

Putting identity politics ahead of good characters is a mistake. They can't create successful new characters because they lack the talent and want to tear down the establishment out of hate.

I don't put my politics in my work.

Used too, you could talk global warming or anything at work, disagree and no one thought anything of it. Now, if your politics aren't right they want to throw you out.

Working in the indies, they worry about is the story good and did you get it in on time. They actually make money off the comic books rather than the licensing. In the big two (Marvel) your politics are wrong, the story was good, and you handed it in on time so they will never forgive you.

I like him.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Psiot X wrote:Chuck Dixon...

Putting identity politics ahead of good characters is a mistake. They can't create successful new characters because they lack the talent and want to tear down the establishment out of hate.

Used too, you could talk global warming or anything at work, disagree and no one thought anything of it. Now, if your politics aren't right they want to throw you out.

Working in the indies, they worry about is the story good and did you get it in on time. They actually make money off the comic books rather than the licensing. In the big two (Marvel) your politics are wrong, the story was good, and you handed it in on time so they will never forgive you.

I like him.
:thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I like him.
He without a doubt nails that first bit. Although I thought Dixon was guilty of using his personal beliefs a lot

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

dornwolf wrote:

I like him.
He without a doubt nails that first bit. Although I thought Dixon was guilty of using his personal beliefs a lot
Maybe, but nowhere near as obvious as someone like Rucka or pretty much anyone writing a Marvel comic presently.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

dornwolf wrote:

I like him.
Any examples of him presenting his beliefs of on a Marvel or DC superhero books?
On which Big 2 superhero books?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Frankly I don't give a rat's @$$ about Dixon's personal politics he was and still is an average writer at best, is best work always pales in comparison with guys like Peter David, Mark Waid, Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Ron Marz, and others because they have the guts to try new things and pi$$ people off.

There is a reason why Marvel is pushing a diversity in the comics and it's simple: demographics. White people aren't going to be the majority race in the US in the near future and they will demand that pop culture reflect.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Cyberstrike wrote:Frankly I don't give a rat's @$$ about Dixon's personal politics he was and still is an average writer at best, is best work always pales in comparison with guys like Peter David, Mark Waid, Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Ron Marz, and others because they have the guts to try new things and pi$$ people off.

There is a reason why Marvel is pushing a diversity in the comics and it's simple: demographics. White people aren't going to be the majority race in the US in the near future and they will demand that pop culture reflect.
Diversity pushing equals stunts in Marvel's case. Most non white people could not care about marching the streets to get more non white actors outside of a tiny minority. They will just watch more tv shows andf movies with people that look like them and the respective industries will pick up on it. I am pretty sure Dixon is pretty good at pi$$ing people of by his mere existence, but i am not familiar enough with the writings of all the above mentioned people to make a judgement.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Cyberstrike wrote:Frankly I don't give a rat's @$$ about Dixon's personal politics he was and still is an average writer at best, is best work always pales in comparison with guys like Peter David, Mark Waid, Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Ron Marz, and others because they have the guts to try new things and pi$$ people off.

Did you actually listen to the interview or just get mad over me quoting the gist of some of what he stated? :)

You went in on diversity where the quote relates to his comments about why Luke Cage made it big and Black Lightning didn't with a casual nod to old Thor being the target of resentment by some insiders. It was fairly thoughtful by Dixon though Milo grates a bit when he goes off. I mean as a fat ugly guy I get enough *SQUEE* without having to listen to pretty boy preen. ;)

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

I get that his politics arent always agreeable, though Im English, so pretty much ignore it all anyway :)
Hoever I really like his writing since day dot and still do. Having read a lot of the above creators, there a couple on the list who are better, but I have a thing for his Bat Universe especially :)
With so many comics and so many creators we cant all agree on who is and who isnt good/great etc :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

He's just butt-hurt that he did not created Anarky att. :lol:
In all seriousness- *SQUEE* his politics.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo