The Devil's Thread: Matt Wagner's Grendel

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: The Devil's Thread: Matt Wagner's Grendel

Post by ShadowTuga »

geocarr wrote:
Chiclo wrote:Vivat Grendel! I can't recommend Wagner's Madam Xanadu run enough. He really likes writing like 30s noir books, and both Sandman Mystery Theatre...
I also highly recommend Madame Xanadu and Sandman Mystery Theatre. I think Matt Wagner is a brilliant writer.
I am very curious about SMT, its next in line from MW after I am done with Grendel (Comico run).
Chiclo, you have to get a fork done, sir! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I will not hide the fact that I have been seriously, seriously considering doing cosplay for the first and last time in my life, for the next Comicon. Grendel, of course, but I'm torn betweenHunter and Brian. :hm:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
geocarr wrote:
Chiclo wrote:Vivat Grendel! I can't recommend Wagner's Madam Xanadu run enough. He really likes writing like 30s noir books, and both Sandman Mystery Theatre...
I also highly recommend Madame Xanadu and Sandman Mystery Theatre. I think Matt Wagner is a brilliant writer.
I am very curious about SMT, its next in line from MW after I am done with Grendel (Comico run).

I will not hide the fact that I have been seriously, seriously considering doing cosplay for the first and last time in my life, for the next Comicon. Grendel, of course, but I'm torn betweenHunter and Brian. :hm:
Brian would be an awesome cosplay - and easy to do. Black clothes & jacket, red scarf... the stitched mask would be killer good.. Do it!! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
geocarr wrote:

Brian would be an awesome cosplay - and easy to do. Black clothes & jacket, red scarf... the stitched mask would be killer good.. Do it!! :thumb:
Hehehehe, I already talked wifey to help me on this. The Brian stitched-mask look is the coolest, or maybe the more functional- one can actually see. 8-)
I just need to buy atoy bow or something, can't possibly get into the con holding a 14th century replica deadly af English longbow. :lol:

If Matt Wagner was one of the guest this year (they are getting rapidly HUGE, last year Claremont was here, also the emo-haired guy from the Walking Dead, Heat Wave/Prison Break Dominic something, along many other big names from Pop culture- then it would be fate. :D
It will be the first year the con will be in my Lisbon, so I really can't miss it this time. And it might be the biggest yet.
Also, this will be my first Comic convention, I have been numerous times to Amadora BD since I was a teen, but that's a whole different crowd and environment. Its where I see weird s**t from the most underground Euro dudes. There are rooms for adults only there. :bugeyed: is the look on my face after seeing some stuff.
But straight US Comics/Manga and gen pop culture, yeah, my firstie.

An aside: I noticed that the model posing for that Grendel Official Mask (Chiclo, can you see through the white in the eyes or something? It is all stitched. :? ) is very similar in body type to Matt Wagner; since Hunter doesn't look that big of a guy and he's on a weird pose like he is hiding his beer-belly... :lol: I do believe its him, but have no idea.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

This is what I have, still in the bag:

https://www.superherostuff.com/grendel/ ... askgrendel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A cloth mask would be cool.

I also have this t-shirt and will wear it to conventions:

http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/CB ... agner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Atom! Freeman saw me wearing it and told me about how he was talking to a guy after a convention one time and realized it was Matt Wagner and he had to control himself and now fanboy out.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

IST took ages to ship my grendel omnibi order (3 wasn't packed for 2 weeks!). started it this week. trying to jump around with the suggested reading order. not at all what I expected.

Does Hunter Rose remind anyone else of kindt's ninjak? His psyche is just different from ours.... I think Ninjak has become a more decent fellow over time, but when I started Ninjak I definitely thought he was a sociopath--and that was his most interesting element.

Loved Wagner's Xanadu. I think it was the third trade collection that I loved the best. Where she was barely in each issue. It was people dealing with a curse and she would just show up at the end to help... and then it built to something bigger. Just great storytelling.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:IST took ages to ship my grendel omnibi order (3 wasn't packed for 2 weeks!). started it this week. trying to jump around with the suggested reading order. not at all what I expected.

Does Hunter Rose remind anyone else of kindt's ninjak? His psyche is just different from ours.... I think Ninjak has become a more decent fellow over time, but when I started Ninjak I definitely thought he was a sociopath--and that was his most interesting element.

Loved Wagner's Xanadu. I think it was the third trade collection that I loved the best. Where she was barely in each issue. It was people dealing with a curse and she would just show up at the end to help... and then it built to something bigger. Just great storytelling.
:thumb: I really hope you are enjoying it, WoA. :high-five:
On the Hunter-Ninjak comparison, I think that there is a big moral difference beteen them: Ninjak is a killer that follows some sort of honor code, and rarely let his emotions out. A ninja, through and through.

Hunter is more like a force of nature trapped in the body of an assassin who thrives on controlling people, and he enjoys killing, even if it is unnecessary to do so (that cab driver in "...Deed"). My absolutely favourite moment from that story is the duel on the roof, specially the conversation between Hunter and Argent. Rose sounds unhinged and not in control of his emotions. He let rage guide him, and that's why he got killed.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

WrathOfArmstrong

Yeah, I really think I read those early Kindt Ninjak issues wrong. I really imposed this idea that he was basically a british AMERICAN PSYCHO that just happened to be duping himself into thinking he was morally right with all his killing. That's much more who Grendel is.

I'll reserve my final call on Grendel when I finish, but so far my responses have ranged from... what the SQUEE did I read?, Wow, Very, very interesting, Everything I've read of Wagner's thus far can't compare to this, ... and... am I too drunk for this one? Nothing like it.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:Yeah, I really think I read those early Kindt Ninjak issues wrong. I really imposed this idea that he was basically a british AMERICAN PSYCHO that just happened to be duping himself into thinking he was morally right with all his killing. That's much more who Grendel is.

I'll reserve my final call on Grendel when I finish, but so far my responses have ranged from... what the SQUEE did I read?, Wow, Very, very interesting, Everything I've read of Wagner's thus far can't compare to this, ... and... am I too drunk for this one? Nothing like it.
:high-five: :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I just found this thread as I haven't been on the boards much. I love Grendel so much. Luckily for me Collectors Paradise just had a signing with him. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories that he shared. I picked up a bunch of Grendel hard covers and he sketched in every single one! i look forward to reading more on what you guys think because I read all these as they came out..lol. Yes I am old.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ramses818 wrote:I just found this thread as I haven't been on the boards much. I love Grendel so much. Luckily for me Collectors Paradise just had a signing with him. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories that he shared. I picked up a bunch of Grendel hard covers and he sketched in every single one! i look forward to reading more on what you guys think because I read all these as they came out..lol. Yes I am old from a special and way cooler era in comics and pop culture in general.
Fixed that for you! :thumb:

I think we'd all love to read your thoughts as a longtime fan, Ramses, I personally would like to know more about how this comic (and "concept", "theme", whatever it is) was viewed by readers att and shop owners;
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

This series was really mixed because of what people expected it to be. It has a die hard following. The nudity and violence turned some people off. I knew stores that refused to carry it because of the adult themes. From my friends and I who were in junior high and high school early in this run it got passed around like a drunken prom date. LOL. We couldn't get enough of it. This was an unrepentant villain, who not only survive but excelled. Devil by the deed might be one of my favorite stories ever done. As it continued it explored so many complex themes. I will tell this for all of those that are very fond of it, and while there's no official announcement, look to hear something in the not-too-distant future after Mage is finished....

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ramses818 wrote:This series was really mixed because of what people expected it to be. It has a die hard following. The nudity and violence turned some people off. I knew stores that refused to carry it because of the adult themes. From my friends and I who were in junior high and high school early in this run it got passed around like a drunken prom date. LOL. We couldn't get enough of it. This was an unrepentant villain, who not only survive but excelled. Devil by the deed might be one of my favorite stories ever done. As it continued it explored so many complex themes. I will tell this for all of those that are very fond of it, and while there's no official announcement, look to hear something in the not-too-distant future after Mage is finished....
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for sharing, sir!!!! :high-five: :thumb:

and also (related to the part I bolded)

:o :o :o
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:I just found this thread as I haven't been on the boards much. I love Grendel so much. Luckily for me Collectors Paradise just had a signing with him. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories that he shared. I picked up a bunch of Grendel hard covers and he sketched in every single one! i look forward to reading more on what you guys think because I read all these as they came out..lol. Yes I am old from a special and way cooler era in comics and pop culture in general.
Fixed that for you! :thumb:

I think we'd all love to read your thoughts as a longtime fan, Ramses, I personally would like to know more about how this comic (and "concept", "theme", whatever it is) was viewed by readers att and shop owners;
Yep, Shadowtuga gets it - Ramses is officially cool, not old! :thumb: 8-) :thumb:

If you can, I'd love to see pics of those sketches! Really cool that you got to meet Matt!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ramses818 wrote:This series was really mixed because of what people expected it to be. It has a die hard following. The nudity and violence turned some people off. I knew stores that refused to carry it because of the adult themes. From my friends and I who were in junior high and high school early in this run it got passed around like a drunken prom date. LOL. We couldn't get enough of it. This was an unrepentant villain, who not only survive but excelled. Devil by the deed might be one of my favorite stories ever done. As it continued it explored so many complex themes. I will tell this for all of those that are very fond of it, and while there's no official announcement, look to hear something in the not-too-distant future after Mage is finished....
Oh man, I was wondering if he might be tempted to revisit Grendel again after finishing up Mage... that's awesome to hear!! I'd love to see him tackle a different era, and/or start a new one (or at the very least it would be awesome to get some new Grendel Tales set in the future).

Are you a Mage fan as well?

Also, really cool to hear your perspective on reading it as it was happening all the way back in the day - I only found out about it when the War Child series started. I completely missed the Comico era until long after. It's funny to hear people were turned off by the maturity level of it... and stores refusing to carry it? Wow!! I'll never understand how anyone can't appreciate a story that is as richly complex & rewarding as Grendel. Comics this good are a gift, and they elevate the medium.

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

I agree with you guys. Grendel is a very special comic due to its complexity and it willingness to take on hard issues. Sex, politics, religion like no one else over such a long period. I haven't read Mage in forever, but just picked up the trade at that signing to reread and make sure it's suitable for my son. Matt wouldn't talk about the new series/project other than to say to stay tuned. He is finishing Mage up as we speak. As versatile as Grendel is I would be happy with anything, but Hunter is always my first..lol. I wish I knew how to post pictures here but I will try (after all these years you figure I would have by now..lol).

WrathOfArmstrong

been swamped in warm weather duties, but finally got to read (re-read) Devil's Child.

I'd picked it up for Tim Sale back in the day and enjoyed the art, but the story left me with a shrug of the horrible thing called indifference. I probably went back and re-read Long Halloween or something and I think it was why I was able to resist Grendel for so long. But reading this story after the Hunter Rose material, it's chilling. This series is a snowball.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:been swamped in warm weather duties, but finally got to read (re-read) Devil's Child.

I'd picked it up for Tim Sale back in the day and enjoyed the art, but the story left me with a shrug of the horrible thing called indifference. I probably went back and re-read Long Halloween or something and I think it was why I was able to resist Grendel for so long. But reading this story after the Hunter Rose material, it's chilling. This series is a snowball.
Oh man, you tried to get into Grendel by reading Devils Child first?! Dude. Tim Sale or not, that's gotta be the single worst place to ever start with. So much background needed in order to feel the full weight of that story. Glad you're digging it now! :thumb:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:been swamped in warm weather duties, but finally got to read (re-read) Devil's Child.

Oh man, you tried to get into Grendel by reading Devils Child first?! Dude. Tim Sale or not, that's gotta be the single worst place to ever start with. So much background needed in order to feel the full weight of that story. Glad you're digging it now! :thumb:
As JD said, that is indeed the worst place to start, I mean, it is amazing comics but jeeeeeez, its a story that really made me feel uncomfortable and "depressed" of sorts while and after reading it. Heavy stuff.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

WrathOfArmstrong

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

As JD said, that is indeed the worst place to start, I mean, it is amazing comics but jeeeeeez, its a story that really made me feel uncomfortable and "depressed" of sorts while and after reading it. Heavy stuff.
In my defense, I was/am a huge Tim Sale fan and there were no reading lists or anything back then, just an LCS willing to take full price on a book and never ask any questions...

It really does require the other stories. Not entry level--but hey they still sold a copy back in 2000-1...I might have a Grendel/Batman somewhere too, that cover looks awfully familiar and I have a lot of batman crossovers that left me wanting...

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

In my defense, I was/am a huge Tim Sale fan and there were no reading lists or anything back then, just an LCS willing to take full price on a book and never ask any questions...

It really does require the other stories. Not entry level--but hey they still sold a copy back in 2000-1...I might have a Grendel/Batman somewhere too, that cover looks awfully familiar and I have a lot of batman crossovers that left me wanting...
Tim Sale is one of my all-time favs, as well. I own every thing he did with Batman, and I still think that his Selina is the sexiest Catwoman ever. :)
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

In the latest issue of Mage (#10), Matt has confirmed in the letter column that he is planning on doing something new for Grendel after Mage wraps up! Very excited to see what’s coming!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:In the latest issue of Mage (#10), Matt has confirmed in the letter column that he is planning on doing something new for Grendel after Mage wraps up! Very excited to see what’s coming!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

It's seems that may have been mentioned on this thread back on May 30th :hm: :high-five:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ramses818 wrote:It's seems that may have been mentioned on this thread back on May 30th 27th :hm: :high-five:
ShadowTuga wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for sharing, sir!!!! :high-five: :thumb:

and also (related to the part I bolded)

:o :o :o
Fixed that for ya, buddy! :D :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ramses818 wrote:It's seems that may have been mentioned on this thread back on May 30th :hm: :high-five:
Happy to see you were right! Never doubted you when you had heard it straight from Matt himself - but I was glad to see him announce it in Mage. Now he *has* to do it! :P :lol: