Your favourite Crossovers/Events (NON-VALIANT)

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Your favourite Crossovers/Events (NON-VALIANT)

Post by ShadowTuga »

Pretty self-explanatory. :thumb:

I'll go with a top 5:

5 X-Men/Teen Titans - Loved this book as a kid, so its nostalgia mostly BUT also the fact that it was the first time I saw DC characters in a modern book (ah, i'm *SQUEE* OLD!!!!!!), and just awesome comics moments, like that scene where Deathstroke "fights" Colossus.
But more seriously, seeing my favorite comic book heroes teaming up with freaking Robin just blew my 9 year old mind. And Darkseid.
This crossover led me to collect the Titans and my Marvel-only mindset was cracked.

4 No Man's Land - Benefits from the building up (or is it tearing down :lol: ) that 30,000 Batman crossovers provided in the 90s, but it is the Bat-Family story that I would hearily reccomend to any fan. So many stuff happens here, with so many Bat-people shining and villains doing the opposite of that. The fate of Sarah Essen in this story is shocking, i mean, really weird that editorial went with "Joker shoots her and leaves her dead among a bunch of babies".Damn, the 90s were dark (this is the very end of the decade, though).

3 Dark Knights: Metal - If the last issue was what I expected but better paced, and if the consequences were more damning (I know, I know, Source Wall breaking is huge, but I did not liked the fact that the BWL is now a fixture on the DCU) this could have been 2, but as it is... :P
The origins of the Bat-Aberrations is just a proof to bever judge a book by its concept- this seemed lazy at first mention and we got an amazing pack of stories that made the event so much better. Bat-Cyborg was one f'ed up story. All of them, really. Great stuff.

2 Crisis On Infinite Earths - The Huge Superhero story from DC that everyone who digs Superpeeps should read, Beautiful, AMAZING art and a story that changed everything, like nothing did since then in the Big 2. Still the best of the Crisis, by far, its only fault might be that it is a LOOOOOOOOT of people doing stuff really quick and then disappearing from the story- how many characters appear here? One million?
Its certainly better appreciated by a well-read DC fan, than your average comic book reader.

1 Age of Apocalypse
- This could be handed down to a person who NEVER read a US superhero book and I think they would still enjoy it a lot. Its originality, daring publishing schedule (no X-Men normal titles for 4 months, in the no-internet age, i.e. nobody knew what would happen by reading solicitations online and sharing it to the world), freaking huge scope, unforgetable characters and moments, and just the sheer amount of fun that drops from this story is still, unmatched in my book. Dark Beast, Weapon X and Jean, the Summers Apoc-biaitches, Magneto and Rogue ?!?!, Sabretooth and Wid Child as his sidekick or something close to that, etc, etc, etc... even the small bits like when we find out what Thor is doing in this world, man- Numba One Crossover.

Honorable Mentions:
Civil War, the Messiah Trilogy, House of M, Avengers/Defenders War, Flashpoint, Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, A Lonely Place of Dying, Mutant Massacre.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Your favourite Crossovers/Events (NON-VALIANT)

Post by nycjadie »

I’m not a huge fan of crossovers, and I’m not so much in a review writing mode, but a few favorites:
Crisis on Infinite Worlds (really Flash 123, perhaps one of the top 5 most important DC books)
Infinity Gauntlet
Age of Apocalypse
Secret Wars
Knight fall
Avengers Disassembled
Court of Owls
Maximum Carnage
Weapon X (if that qualifies)
X-Cutioner’s Song (the end of Uncamny for me)
Kraven’s Last Hunt

Have to add Death of Superman, Armageddon, and Legends, not because they were good, but because they interrupted great stories for me at the time.

As for events, I would add Return of the Dark Knight, and Killing Joke, which altered comics for me and many others, well beyond the stories above. Batman Year One for that matter as well.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

1. Knightfall- Not because it was the best story, because I was 11-12 and it was the event to follow for that year. My friends and I would bike up to the LCS and get them as they came out. It was a lot of fun and something to look forward to. I remember it being right around Death of Superman too. That was a unique time for comics and right in my collecting wheelhouse (the glory years, haha).

2. As an adult, I have enjoyed civil war, Wolverine the origin, court of owls, dark knight returns, and hush. Year one was solid too.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

a link to a similar topic

I like seeing stuff like this...just bringing back previous replies for others to see
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

myron wrote:a link to a similar topic

I like seeing stuff like this...just bringing back previous replies for others to see
:thumb:
Damn, I actually made a search with the word crossover in the title, could not find that thread. facepalm
Sorry, gang. :oops:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I think Ultimate Marvel's Divided We Fall/United We Stand crossover (not technically an "event," but had huge ramifications for all three books) is criminally underrated. Each title/character has something interesting to do. The Ultimates handled the "big picture" stuff: taking down the insurgents and eventual big bads, and calming the public. The X-Men were at the center of the battle and what the whole storyline revolved around. And finally Spider-Man (Miles) got to stretch his legs with the big boys, after his first big arc, and really become entrenched in the superhero community.
ShadowTuga wrote:Pretty self-explanatory. :thumb:
3 Dark Knights: Metal - If the last issue was what I expected but better paced, and if the consequences were more damning (I know, I know, Source Wall breaking is huge, but I did not liked the fact that the BWL is now a fixture on the DCU) this could have been 2, but as it is... :P
The origins of the Bat-Aberrations is just a proof to bever judge a book by its concept- this seemed lazy at first mention and we got an amazing pack of stories that made the event so much better. Bat-Cyborg was one f'ed up story. All of them, really. Great stuff.
Metal was way better than it had any right to be. Although it obviously could have been better, and was covered in Snyder's signature sloppy exposition dumps, everything just worked. The main story was exciting, fun, and big. The tie-ins didn't really interrupt any of the ongoings and were readable in their own right (which is, for whatever reason, a lot to ask for apparently), and the one-shots took an idea that could have been cheesy and cash-grabby and turned it into honestly beautiful works of art. Each one was unique and awesome.

No Justice, on the other hand... Imo it was all of Metal's worst traits rolled into one extremely fast-paced and even more exposition-dumpy story. I'm loving Snyder's Justice League though!

I also really dug Identity Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and especially Forever Evil, although I didn't read any of the tie-ins for any of these.

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

ShadowTuga wrote:

Damn, I actually made a search with the word crossover in the title, could not find that thread. facepalm
Not a big deal! That thread is from 4 or 5 years ago...there have been crossovers/events a plenty in the last 5 years...it's good to bring it back

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

myron wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Not a big deal! That thread is from 4 or 5 years ago...there have been crossovers/events a plenty in the last 5 years...it's good to bring it back

Marvel really went bananas on the last decade. Wikipedia has 14 main crossovers listed for the 2000s, the biggest number until then (1980s and 90s had 9 each).
2010s - 30. :o And we still have one year to go.

Its a shame that we haven't had a really great Marvel Universe crossover since World War Hulk... :? The Messiah stuff is awesome, but that's more like an X-Men event than a linewide thing.
TheFerg714 wrote:I think Ultimate Marvel's Divided We Fall/United We Stand crossover (not technically an "event," but had huge ramifications for all three books) is criminally underrated. Each title/character has something interesting to do. The Ultimates handled the "big picture" stuff: taking down the insurgents and eventual big bads, and calming the public. The X-Men were at the center of the battle and what the whole storyline revolved around. And finally Spider-Man (Miles) got to stretch his legs with the big boys, after his first big arc, and really become entrenched in the superhero community.
Gotta check this, im a sort of newb to the Ultimate Universe for the most part (only read Millar's X-Men and the Wolverine/Hulk mini). :high-five:
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:41:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

DP, sorry
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

ShadowTuga wrote:Marvel really went bananas on the last decade. Wikipedia has 14 main crossovers listed for the 2000s, the biggest number until then (1980s and 90s had 9 each).
2010s - 30. :o And we still have one year to go.
You're not kidding. Just looking at "line-wide events," Marvel has outpaced DC by a good amount in the past two decades. Including crossovers and such, it's not even a competition. The funny thing is that DC's event quality tends to be better than Marvel's, for the most part.
DC: Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, Forever Evil, Convergence, Dark Nights: Metal, Heroes in Crisis. (9)
Marvel: House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk (does this one count?), Secret Invasion, Siege, Fear Itself, Avengers vs. X-Men, Age of Ultron, Infinity, Original Sin, AXIS, Secret Wars, Civil War II, Secret Empire, Infinity Wars. (15)
Gotta check this, im a sort of newb to the Ultimate Universe for the most part (only read Millar's X-Men and the Wolverine/Hulk mini). :high-five:
Well just so you know, I think most people disagree with me. I love it though.
You really need to read Ultimatum though! :twisted:

Oo, something I forgot to mention was the relatively recent Justice League vs. Suicide Squad! It's a little silly, but it's pure comic-book goodness. Solid writing, many characters get a chance to shine, and the story actually makes sense.

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

Blackest Night
Dark knights Metal
Darkside War
Siniestro Corps War
Spider Island
Civil War

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote: 1 Age of Apocalypse[/b] - This could be handed down to a person who NEVER read a US superhero book and I think they would still enjoy it a lot. Its originality, daring publishing schedule (no X-Men normal titles for 4 months, in the no-internet age, i.e. nobody knew what would happen by reading solicitations online and sharing it to the world), freaking huge scope, unforgetable characters and moments, and just the sheer amount of fun that drops from this story is still, unmatched in my book. Dark Beast, Weapon X and Jean, the Summers Apoc-biaitches, Magneto and Rogue ?!?!, Sabretooth and Wid Child as his sidekick or something close to that, etc, etc, etc... even the small bits like when we find out what Thor is doing in this world, man- Numba One Crossover.

Well said about the pre-internet giveaway of ideas/conclusions. I remember getting copies of this story arc from the grocery store.
A fun story arc!

tarheelmarine
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Summydad1 wrote:1. Knightfall- Not because it was the best story, because I was 11-12 and it was the event to follow for that year. My friends and I would bike up to the LCS and get them as they came out. It was a lot of fun and something to look forward to. I remember it being right around Death of Superman too. That was a unique time for comics and right in my collecting wheelhouse (the glory years, haha).

2. As an adult, and hush. .
Knightfall had the same impact on me as well. I couldn't wait for the following week to see what was going to happen. I felt the same about Reign of Supermen.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

As far as crossovers go, Operation Galactic Storm has held up surprisingly well over time.

This was a true crossover across the Avengers family of titles. The story is still relevant, impactful, and every title has a solid place in the narrative which culminates into a strongly played and divisive ending. That crossover also yielded two amazing What If? issues as well.

I find myself thinking that it's a stronger story now than I did when it was being released.
ironherc wrote:Siniestro Corps War
Absolutely agree here. This made GL huge for me again. And this event was head and shoulders above all of the other rainbow corp stuff that followed.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Summydad1 wrote:1. Knightfall- Not because it was the best story, because I was 11-12 and it was the event to follow for that year. My friends and I would bike up to the LCS and get them as they came out. It was a lot of fun and something to look forward to. I remember it being right around Death of Superman too. That was a unique time for comics and right in my collecting wheelhouse (the glory years, haha).

Knightfall had the same impact on me as well. I couldn't wait for the following week to see what was going to happen. I felt the same about Reign of Supermen.
When I sold my 5 long boxes of Batman comics a few years ago, I realized I had all the issues of Knightfall, plus the prelude issues leading up to Knightfall. I pulled all of them out and sent them to Houchen Bindery to be bound in 5 hardcovers. One of my favorite stories and a proud part of my collection. Here are a few pics:

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

mkb28 wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:

When I sold my 5 long boxes of Batman comics a few years ago, I realized I had all the issues of Knightfall, plus the prelude issues leading up to Knightfall. I pulled all of them out and sent them to Houchen Bindery to be bound in 5 hardcovers. One of my favorite stories and a proud part of my collection. Here are a few pics:

Well done. I have many desires, one of which is a weekend cabin filled with vinyl and collections such as these. My muses.