Beginning of 2019 State of the Comic Book Industry

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re: Beginning of 2019 State of the Comic Book Industry

Post by tarheelmarine »

Shadowman99 wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:
IMJ wrote:[

What are your predictions of what the size and business model of the industry will be in another ten years?
Will it be diminished even more than it is now? Will it grow instead?
Will physical comics be abandoned by a new generation?
Will the upcoming buyer be comprised of a smaller readership serviced by a combination of digital and print-on-demand publishing?
Have you seen this opinion piece?

https://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-w ... es-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good article.
If I can offer one prediction on the future of the comics industry, it would be something like this: the current marketing model will fail as a result of too many titles, too many variants and too many #1 reboots.

I am with you, and don't buy variants. I also am at the point that once a storyline ceases to keep me engaged I stop buying it. More and more I find myself tracking down older books from the 80's and 90's and early 00's that had stories I wanted to read in print format. I especially enjoy the Elseworlds titles.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:What are peoples thoughts on the TKO model - releasing every thing at the same time - full run of 'floppies', TPB and digitally? I wonder if comic shops could continue to survive under this model?
It makes the comics feel more like literature, not some kit that one has to assemble in pieces whether at the time of publication or at a later date. It approaches complete stories as complete.
I think this is a great approach to stories/story arcs.

I don't see why it makes sense to release a full line of floppies on the same day as a TPB, other than to specifically cater to floppy collectors who're trying to make a return investment on the things down the line. I'm sure most folks would just splash for the TPB, for a number of reasons. I guess the base reason would be 'why sell one product when you can double profit and sell two?' of course, but how many people are going to buy both? I just can't see it happening in the majority of cases so I'm not sure what the real payoff here is.

TPB to read at home and digital for the train ride to work, sure.
I like what TKO is doing - I bought a set of the 6 individual issues of Dysarts Goodnight Paradise comic. It comes in a small box that has printed design like a slip-case on it, so you can actually place the thin box on your bookshelf if you prefer, it’s very presentable that way (and you kind of have to do that - the actual physical dimensions of the comic are slightly non-standard, and they won’t fit into a comic long/short box).
This sounds like a nice way to present a floppy run regardless of whether it's standard size or not, although I see very little real difference between this and a trade other than the physical presentation. I'd like to see how it looks though, can you post a couple of photos?
tarheelmarine wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:
IMJ wrote:[

What are your predictions of what the size and business model of the industry will be in another ten years?
Will it be diminished even more than it is now? Will it grow instead?
Will physical comics be abandoned by a new generation?
Will the upcoming buyer be comprised of a smaller readership serviced by a combination of digital and print-on-demand publishing?
Have you seen this opinion piece?

https://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-w ... es-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good article.
If I can offer one prediction on the future of the comics industry, it would be something like this: the current marketing model will fail as a result of too many titles, too many variants and too many #1 reboots.
I am with you, and don't buy variants. I also am at the point that once a storyline ceases to keep me engaged I stop buying it.
I've never bought variants, and stopping reading a comic when it ceases to entertain sounds like a reasonable course of action to me.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/ ... 5c8d2fe630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mentioned this in the One thread, but the article confirms circulation that many of you have discussed before in this and many other threads.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

tarheelmarine wrote: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/ ... 5c8d2fe630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mentioned this in the One thread, but the article confirms circulation that many of you have discussed before in this and many other threads.
It's a truly declining readership. And the next thing, if the trend continues, will be that we will start seeing more and more super keys changing hands on the market as collectors eventually diminish and supply of key books goes up. We are in the middle of a speculator aftermarket boom right now, but I'm just saying that this is the next logical trend over a long enough timeline. Sort of like the sports card market.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

IMJ wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/ ... 5c8d2fe630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a truly declining readership. And the next thing, if the trend continues, will be that we will start seeing more and more super keys changing hands on the market as collectors eventually diminish and supply of key books goes up. We are in the middle of a speculator aftermarket boom right now, but I'm just saying that this is the next logical trend over a long enough timeline. Sort of like the sports card market.
It sounds awful of me to say this but that is when I am waiting to buy.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

tarheelmarine wrote:
IMJ wrote:

It sounds awful of me to say this but that is when I am waiting to buy.
That statement just sounds like 'good business' to me.

I wonder if that market will rise again afterward though? :hm:

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

It will need new readers. Plain and simple. The current readership could boost the market but it seems that the majority of us have significantly cut our monthly reading. When units per reader are down and new readership is down, you are looking at a diminishing market.

Of course, those of us who hang in there if this continues might benefit from increased back issue supply, but having value in our collections is also part 'n parcel for most collectors, I'm sure.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I really wonder how many 'super keys' and whatever other highly-priced comics are out there that will just end up in the trash when people's partners/siblings etc. die. I mean, how many non-comic readers are even going to look inside their comic collector partner's long boxes etc. to see what they might be able to sell.

I'd bet a high number of issues like Action Comics #1 and Spiderman #1 and stuff just get thrown out by people that don't even open the storage container they're in, never mind have any idea what it is that they've got on their hands and the potential financial value of it.

I know Phantom's thought about this, but how many of us even have measures in place to aid the process of keeping/selling/throwing out our possessions in general once we die, never mind comics specifically? Do we even want to hassle them with the trouble of selling our Super Keys (etc.)?

:hm:

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

nycjadie wrote:I'm not sure there will be folks who will pay the big dollars for all but a few key books. That's why I treat my collection as a passion project. So far, it just increases in value, but I don't think it will always be like that. Look at what was collectible from 1880-1960. Few of those are as valuable as they were when those collectors were in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. We are going to get old, and in 30 years, I think much of what we collect will virtually be worthless. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
My father in law had a collection of rare books. He tracked the prices in in auction house estimates or antique book sale catalogs, and put the clippings inside the books. Price he paid, and how much the book rose or fell over time.
These where specific to a certain subject, only a few out of the 200 books are worth anything. Prices had dropped so much, just not worth picking up to sell.

Of the rare books he had, dealers didn't want. Of the all the other random books, the dealers brought in bulk ~ they told us ~ doesn't matter what it is ~ if the spine looks good, we sell them in bookcases ~ so people decorate their houses or offices ~ no one reads them or references them.

The rare books that he had been tracking for 40 years, they didn't even want ~ even a specialized book seller. We managed to find one auction house, who said they would try ~ but likely to sell as a collection under his name.

Was thinking about comics, luckily I like reading my comics ~ will they be worth anything compared to what I paid even at cover price? No. Even today, I buy new Valiant for??£2.50 knowing I can get the same comic for £1 in 2 months at a comic mart. Problem with valiant is, I may miss a few issues as they are not ordered in high numbers. Or buy ebay bulk lots at discount.

I think ebay raises the cost of a few comics, but generally lowers the value, as market is flooded. I think as we get older, market will flood with books as people ~ lets face it ~ die, and fewer and fewer people taking up the hobby.

So glad I can read and re read my collection. Not to bothered about what it costs. More worried about things getting lost or just shoved in a bin when I die ~ rather than going to someone who wants it. The things I know have been thrown away, or things I personally have retrieved from bins ( from my father in laws estate). Is facepalm
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Shadowman99

I know from personal experience, objects de art just chucked away.
Worse, things just go missing.
You just don't know the worth of things. I am to blame as well, I nearly recycled two very rare glass cups. They just looked like bad scratched crap I woundn't even put mixed screws in or use as a pen holder. A dealer brought for 200 euros a piece :o Paid for the diesel!!
I could tell you storys, of clearing out my father in laws flat that would make you cry.
Really need to get into digital comic book reading and get rid of my collection ~ it will all be thrown out. People do not have the time / understanding / or space for this stuff.

At least if Armageddon comes, or a nuclear winter , I will have stuff to burn. USB drives don';t provide much heat.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Phantom wrote:Shadowman99

At least if Armageddon comes, or a nuclear winter , I will have stuff to burn. USB drives don';t provide much heat.
:lol: