The Starbrand in the Marvel 616 Universe

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Shooter’s idea for Star Brand was just too good to keep down. and it’s beem popping up seemingly quite a bit in the 616. Here’s another upcoming appearance of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant ... -DXl8_EZgY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: The Starbrand in the Marvel 616 Universe

Post by BugsySig »

Jonathan Hickman brought Starbrand and Nightmask into his Avengers run a few years back. Starbrand as a concept was fairly similar to the original but Nightmask served as a “herald” of the Starbrand. Some of the other New Universe character names were used briefly as Kree “heralds” (as each planet could potentially have a Starbrand and heralds) but didn’t last very long and haven’t been referenced since.

There was a Starbrand and Nightmask mini where they were attending Empire U that had some cool, trippy cosmic stuff a la Dr. Strange/Silver Surfer but overall was pretty generic.

Most recently a Hulk-like Neanderthal Starbrand was introduced as part of the 1,000,000 BC Avengers.

Now, the Starbrand is back again! Interested to see where they go with it this time.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Bugsy, do you know where New Universe characters appeared as Kree heralds? I’d not heard that before. Thanks for the info!!!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

The Starbrand in the Marvel U is solely because of the Living Laser's actions in Quasar #6 (which is also the first ever cover appearance of Venom, believe it or not). Additionally, the whole story unfolds a few years after that when Quasar visits the New Universe later (because of the Living Laser), as drawn by Greg Capullo. He brings the Starbrand back to the 616 with him.

Then, years later the "Starblast" even is all about the Starbrand being stuck here. And that crossover was awful. Pure awful. Drawn awfully. It looked like every character belonged in the Gumby universe, and they tried to brand the first issue of Starblast as a Warlock event to capitalize on the Infinity stuff, even though it had nothing to do with Warlock.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

IMJ wrote:Quasar #6 (which is also the first ever cover appearance of Venom, believe it or not).
How does Quasar #6 (January 1990) beat Amazing Spider-Man #316 (June 1989) for first Venom cover?

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

greg wrote:
IMJ wrote:Quasar #6 (which is also the first ever cover appearance of Venom, believe it or not).
How does Quasar #6 (January 1990) beat Amazing Spider-Man #316 (June 1989) for first Venom cover?
whoop....adds...-outside of Spider-Man-

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

IMJ wrote:
greg wrote:
whoop....adds...-outside of Spider-Man-
There weren't many Venom cover appearances even inside of Spider-Man prior to January 1990, so Quasar #6 is still an early one. :thumb:
Amazing Spider-Man #316 is easily the best "first" appearance of Venom on a cover, but Amazing Spider-Man #315 has a little headshot of Venom, if anyone's going for "technical first". :D

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

StarBrand wrote:Bugsy, do you know where New Universe characters appeared as Kree heralds? I’d not heard that before. Thanks for the info!!!
They’re in the Starbrand and Nightmask mini. Issues 4 and 5. There’s a Kree Cipher and Justice as well as Kree Starbrand and Nightmask. They mention Spitfire but that herald didn’t “manifest” during this specific cycle.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Bugsy, do you know where New Universe characters appeared as Kree heralds? I’d not heard that before. Thanks for the info!!!
They’re in the Starbrand and Nightmask mini. Issues 4 and 5. There’s a Kree Cipher and Justice as well as Kree Starbrand and Nightmask. They mention Spitfire but that herald didn’t “manifest” during this specific cycle.
Oooooh, now *thats* interesting... this means I’m gonna have to track those issues down after all.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Solid!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Oooooh, now *thats* interesting... this means I’m gonna have to track those issues down after all.
Technically the Kree Justice isn’t a Kree but was on the Kree homeworld when their white event happened. :wink:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

In the upcoming Avengers #26 there’s a story featuring the prehistoric Star Brand. Then, there’s a new storyline beginning in issue 27 of that title called “Star Brand Reborn”. I’m hoping this is a character I can get behind. Either way, I’m glad Shooter’s concept of the Starbrand is alive and well! I actually joined Westfield Comics for the first time so I can order these issues featuring Star Brand. I’m also thinking of collecting the previous 60 appearances of Star Brand that have appeared in the Marvel 616 Universe until now. I never thought I’d touch another new Marvel comic book. I didn’t anticipate Star Brand gaining momentum like this, though.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

StarBrand wrote:In the upcoming Avengers #26 there’s a story featuring the prehistoric Star Brand. Then, there’s a new storyline beginning in issue 27 of that title called “Star Brand Reborn”. I’m hoping this is a character I can get behind. Either way, I’m glad Shooter’s concept of the Starbrand is alive and well! I actually joined Westfield Comics for the first time so I can order these issues featuring Star Brand. I’m also thinking of collecting the previous 60 appearances of Star Brand that have appeared in the Marvel 616 Universe until now. I never thought I’d touch another new Marvel comic book. I didn’t anticipate Star Brand gaining momentum like this, though.
Much like Bendis’ love of Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Spiderwoman leading to revivals for all of those characters, Johnathan Hickman apparently has a soft spot for the New Universe and it’s led to the inclusion of Starbrand in the 616.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BugsySig wrote:
StarBrand wrote:In the upcoming Avengers #26 there’s a story featuring the prehistoric Star Brand. Then, there’s a new storyline beginning in issue 27 of that title called “Star Brand Reborn”. I’m hoping this is a character I can get behind. Either way, I’m glad Shooter’s concept of the Starbrand is alive and well! I actually joined Westfield Comics for the first time so I can order these issues featuring Star Brand. I’m also thinking of collecting the previous 60 appearances of Star Brand that have appeared in the Marvel 616 Universe until now. I never thought I’d touch another new Marvel comic book. I didn’t anticipate Star Brand gaining momentum like this, though.
Much like Bendis’ love of Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Spiderwoman leading to revivals for all of those characters, Johnathan Hickman apparently has a soft spot for the New Universe and it’s led to the inclusion of Starbrand in the 616.
Good point. I’m grateful he did so! Do you happen to know if his Avengers run has been collected?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I found Avengers Hickman omnibuses. Cripes, they’re expensive!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Click on this link to see an incredible Starbrand cover for the upcoming Avengers 27.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP190901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

StarBrand wrote:Click on this link to see an incredible Starbrand cover for the upcoming Avengers 27.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP190901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was going to comment on this , I love this cover! I so enjoyed Starbrand and can’t wait for it to be brought back correctly!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

As seen in Avengers 26, the first Marvel superhero officially was a Starbrand. The story of the MCU cannot be told without mentioning that, now.
“Starbrand Reborn” starts tomorrow in Avengers 27.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Don't we have a board member named "StarBrand" or something like that?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

depluto wrote:Don't we have a board member named "StarBrand" or something like that?
I don't recall any member with that name...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
depluto wrote:Don't we have a board member named "StarBrand" or something like that?
I don't recall any member with that name...
Wasn’t it “Star Brand”? With a space? :hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

No, you're thinking of Star Gland ... this guy was real chatty. StarrBrand, maybe?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

depluto wrote:No, you're thinking of Star Gland ... this guy was real chatty. StarrBrand, maybe?
“Scar Bland”?

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

:lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ramses818 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Click on this link to see an incredible Starbrand cover for the upcoming Avengers 27.

I was going to comment on this , I love this cover! I so enjoyed Starbrand and can’t wait for it to be brought back correctly!
So far, so good with the new story - its crazy that they've placed the Starbrand in such a prominent position as of #26! I won't say more so as not to spoil it for anyone yet, but wow.