Some Really Crazy Stuff Going On With Mile High Lately

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Some Really Crazy Stuff Going On With Mile High Lately

Post by nycjadie »

I’ve had poor experiences with Mike High. I’ve purchased hard to fond books just to fill holes and the condition is much ooorer than advertised

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:36:39 pm I’ve had poor experiences with Mike High. I’ve purchased hard to fond books just to fill holes and the condition is much ooorer than advertised
I haven't run into that as much as having some opinions as to where their entire grading spectrum sits. Like.... they are fairly consistent from when I've filled back issue gaps from them, but that consistency is sort of along what grades were perceived to be before CGC came along and really starting drawing a hard line on scrutiny. I would never buy a Mile High advertised "9.8" to submit for grading, but generally speaking their VF's fall into that VF "family" LOL!

But they have to do it because their online sales are so large. This as opposed to Graham Crackers who has a significant brick and mortar and convention presence, but they won't throw a grade on a book to save their life. They just price 'em, lmao!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30:25 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:36:39 pm I’ve had poor experiences with Mike High. I’ve purchased hard to fond books just to fill holes and the condition is much ooorer than advertised
I haven't run into that as much as having some opinions as to where their entire grading spectrum sits. Like.... they are fairly consistent from when I've filled back issue gaps from them, but that consistency is sort of along what grades were perceived to be before CGC came along and really starting drawing a hard line on scrutiny. I would never buy a Mile High advertised "9.8" to submit for grading, but generally speaking their VF's fall into that VF "family" LOL!

But they have to do it because their online sales are so large. This as opposed to Graham Crackers who has a significant brick and mortar and convention presence, but they won't throw a grade on a book to save their life. They just price 'em, lmao!
I could see that, they are definitely in the old school grading system, meaning if there are 3 color breaking spine creases, it's NM! I recall when just about every store I visited, that was the modus operandi. I worked at a store in high school (paid in store credit) for a time and the owner just had me price everything at NM prices at the highest guide price, which I think at the time was Comic Buyer's Monthly, or something like that.

He was a hilarious owner, and not in a nice way. All smiles to customers, but not so nice behind the scenes. He once was charming this small group of game developers into a publishing deal, and he smoothed his hair down and brought cans of soda and a pack of chips ahoy or something, thinking this was the way you have business meetings. Quite amusing.

Another terrible story, I was on the road near the shop and really needed to have a *SQUEE*. It was diarrhea in the worst way. I asked him if I could use the bathroom, and he sent another employee to watch in the back to make sure I wasn't stealing books. In reality, I was pooping away, ran out of toilet paper, and left a hugely smelly mess. Embarassing for everyone all around.

And apologies for the terrible spell check errors. I really need to stop typing on a phone.

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham

Post by reddog »

chucks an *SQUEE*

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:56:03 pm
grendeljd wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08:48 pmI am very aware of his inflated pricing habits. I had always wanted to buy a comic from there just to say that I did, due to the nostalgia element of growing up seeing his ads in comics for so long. Every time I actually see something if his listed on eBay, I usually laugh at the price. It does not surprise me that he uses that tactic of offering "crazy" sales discounts to offset this. There is a local vendor who is at the Toronto Fan Expo [ComicCon] every year who does the same thing. Most people are onto him but he still makes lots of sales.
LOL ya there's always that 'convention guy' with what I've always called "convention pricing". That guy who has all of his books in expensive mylar with double boards and overprices every single one using big round sticker tags. You flip through that guys bins and and every comic, no matter the book is no less than $20 a pop, but usually $40, or $60. Cracks me up. Finding a version of that guy at the cons is as predictable as going to any flea market on Earth and finding a "weapons master", an "old computer guy" and an "area rug lady".
grendeljd wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08:48 pmStill wondering if his announced sales discounts count towards artwork or not... :?
Just walk yourself through the checkout process and try it! Take it as far as the discount code and if the final cart price doesn't agree with you, then just abandon the checkout. I've never bought art from them, so I don't know otherwise I'd tell you. So just do that and try it.....
Thanks for the advice - I tried running it through the checkout process and no deal on original art. I shall have to be patient and wait for a time when I can afford to grab them at reg price.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

When I first began buying comics online, Mile High was definitely one of my first sources. Unfortunately, it wasn't long after (probably around 2001 or so) that Mile High began flagging any orders for duplicate books. So, there was a way to see that Mile High had 8 copies of a book in stock, but if you tried to order all 8, you would get 1 or 2 and they would just not send the others. You could, of course, try to order the remaining 6 or 7 in your next order, but then you're paying more shipping costs and you'll probably only get 1 or 2 instead of the 6 or 7 you wanted, and it wasn't worth it.

Mile High never really had any quantities for pre-Unity Valiant books (or if they did, there was no way to know if coupons/cards were missing). Before Mile High figured out that giving customers the quantity in-stock could let customers buy them out, I was able to get about 50 copies of Shadowman #19 in a single order from Mile High. When Ebay was young (1997-1999), Aerosmith fans were happy to pay $5 for Shadowman #19 and Mile High had them for about $1. Easy money, while it lasted. :D

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

greg wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27:52 pm When I first began buying comics online, Mile High was definitely one of my first sources. Unfortunately, it wasn't long after (probably around 2001 or so) that Mile High began flagging any orders for duplicate books. So, there was a way to see that Mile High had 8 copies of a book in stock, but if you tried to order all 8, you would get 1 or 2 and they would just not send the others. You could, of course, try to order the remaining 6 or 7 in your next order, but then you're paying more shipping costs and you'll probably only get 1 or 2 instead of the 6 or 7 you wanted, and it wasn't worth it.

Mile High never really had any quantities for pre-Unity Valiant books (or if they did, there was no way to know if coupons/cards were missing). Before Mile High figured out that giving customers the quantity in-stock could let customers buy them out, I was able to get about 50 copies of Shadowman #19 in a single order from Mile High. When Ebay was young (1997-1999), Aerosmith fans were happy to pay $5 for Shadowman #19 and Mile High had them for about $1. Easy money, while it lasted. :D
The good old days......
or the beginning of the end, depending on how you look at it. hahahahaa

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

:rant:

During the latter part of last year I was blocked from Mile High on eBay!

I have never had any issues with Mile High Comics. I have sent much cash to Colorado over the decades. Never a negative customer service experience with Mile High Comics at all. However, shortly before the blocking, I had a spat with Lone Star (no :censored: love lost on my part) ... but after that spat, Mile High blocked me. I think they share a mutual block list of some sort. I had myself unsubscribed from the Mile High newsletter out of principle.

I do not miss buying from Lone Star, but my money spends just as well locally.
"Dear Universe, you will deliver unto me a Bloodshot Platinum Error for under $1000!!!"

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

OhioValiantNut wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56:02 pm :rant:

I have never had any issues with Mile High Comics. I have sent much cash to Colorado over the decades. Never a negative customer service experience with Mile High Comics at all. However, shortly before the blocking, I had a spat with Lone Star (no :censored: love lost on my part) ... but after that spat, Mile High blocked me. I think they share a mutual block list of some sort. I had myself unsubscribed from the Mile High newsletter out of principle.

I've bought from Lonestar several times. They are a good resource for filling in the occasional back issue in a run you've been hunting for a long time. That's a crazy story you have there though....

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

OhioValiantNut wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56:02 pm :rant:

I would find that disappointing. Such a tribal culture decision.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Mile High use to be a treasure trove for reading copies of dead universes. Just a couple of years ago, their fair grade books were priced at 75 cents. Add a 60% discount and you had comics 3 for $1 plus free shipping after $40 spent. Was a huge help in my completing my VALIANT, Defiant, Broadway, Crossgen, and numerous other runs. Nowadays, their fair priced comics are 1.50 minimum and $60 minimum for free shipping. Sad to see.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

A lot of people have mentioned Mile High and Lone Star but has anyone used NewKadia? I've used them a lot over the years, only about 2 hours from where I live, but they do not have a storefront you can visit. They have IMHO better customer service, better grading, better shipping, shipping fees and estimated delivery times compared to the other two mentioned.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I have checked out their website many times but have never bit the bullet and put in an order. Their prices looked fair to me.

There used to be a paragraph on their website where they were describing how they give away free comics with an order and said that they gave away good comics, not something like Warriors of the Plasm 7. I never held much of a grudge over that but it always stuck in my mind.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

maraxusofkeld wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:37:56 pm A lot of people have mentioned Mile High and Lone Star but has anyone used NewKadia? I've used them a lot over the years, only about 2 hours from where I live, but they do not have a storefront you can visit. They have IMHO better customer service, better grading, better shipping, shipping fees and estimated delivery times compared to the other two mentioned.
I used Newkadia quite a lot when i was filling Dead Universe gaps.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I think I'm a little late to the convo, but one time I went to the Mile High "Mega" store in Denver, and they had some sort of convention going on, with lots of different vendors. The whole building was pretty packed.

My point is that, at the "main stage" (for lack of a better word), some drag queens were giving a presentation to kids about what it means to be a drag queen, and stuff like that.

It was strange, and now reading this thread makes it even stranger.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Use the codeword PENISDUCTTAPE.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

depluto wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 am Use the codeword PENISDUCTTAPE.
Bwa ha ha! Removing that would hurt like a muther...taint something I'd wish on anyone.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Some really interesting content in the new Mile High newsletter that really corresponds with what some of us have seen regarding the market direction for the last few years. There is some hyperbole here or there.....

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amJoin me now in buying as many old comic books as you can, while you can.

But in truth the rest of it is quite poignant. I was especially taken aback by how he framed the sales data. He broke out print runs in a manner that I hadn't consider before probably because the internet gives us a national economy. But still, it's an interesting 360 degree take on the data...

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amAs hard as it may seem to believe, current print runs for many “successful” new comics titles average fewer than 800 copies (!) per state, which I consider to be ludicrously low.

And some more poignant points about the remaining population of comics on the market.....

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amSimultaneously, the perils that inevitably accompany the passage of time have resulted in innumerable millions of comic books from the “glut” period of the 1990’s and early 2000’s to be destroyed by fires, floods, storms, and other environmental causations. Simply put, the number of comic books extant in America is declining precipitously right now, and we are among the first to become aware that our beloved four color heritage is steadily disappearing.

And I agree with his sentiment regarding the 90's and 00's books. His statement is simply a truth of life, although I think he does well by simply stating that the population of these books is declining. I wouldn't go any further than that because so many were printed that - well - even with a reduction in copies due to destruction there are still a lot of those books out there.

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amYears from now, I think that everyone will look back upon this period as the last moment in time when vast numbers of great comic books were still available for all. I’ve been in this business for 51 years, and I’ve witnessed during my lifetime the rise, and fall, of the entire American comic book industry. Mark my words, this is a watershed moment of opportunity, that may never come again.

So again, a little hyperbole here and there on his part, but generally accurate thoughts I'd say. I found this one to be pretty interesting. Here's the link to the whole thing if you want to read it, but I touched on most of the content above.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:10:46 am Some really interesting content in the new Mile High newsletter that really corresponds with what some of us have seen regarding the market direction for the last few years. There is some hyperbole here or there.....

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amJoin me now in buying as many old comic books as you can, while you can.

But in truth the rest of it is quite poignant. I was especially taken aback by how he framed the sales data. He broke out print runs in a manner that I hadn't consider before probably because the internet gives us a national economy. But still, it's an interesting 360 degree take on the data...

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amAs hard as it may seem to believe, current print runs for many “successful” new comics titles average fewer than 800 copies (!) per state, which I consider to be ludicrously low.

And some more poignant points about the remaining population of comics on the market.....

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amSimultaneously, the perils that inevitably accompany the passage of time have resulted in innumerable millions of comic books from the “glut” period of the 1990’s and early 2000’s to be destroyed by fires, floods, storms, and other environmental causations. Simply put, the number of comic books extant in America is declining precipitously right now, and we are among the first to become aware that our beloved four color heritage is steadily disappearing.

And I agree with his sentiment regarding the 90's and 00's books. His statement is simply a truth of life, although I think he does well by simply stating that the population of these books is declining. I wouldn't go any further than that because so many were printed that - well - even with a reduction in copies due to destruction there are still a lot of those books out there.

Chuck Rozanski via Mile High wrote:Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42:43 amYears from now, I think that everyone will look back upon this period as the last moment in time when vast numbers of great comic books were still available for all. I’ve been in this business for 51 years, and I’ve witnessed during my lifetime the rise, and fall, of the entire American comic book industry. Mark my words, this is a watershed moment of opportunity, that may never come again.

So again, a little hyperbole here and there on his part, but generally accurate thoughts I'd say. I found this one to be pretty interesting. Here's the link to the whole thing if you want to read it, but I touched on most of the content above.
He's been pushing this idea for a few months now after he lost a cargo container of books due to theft and water damage. Lots of hyperbole, but one thing I think we can all agree on - fewer people buy new comics everyday. I think those are single issue comics though. Floppies (A word I know you don't like). The folks that collect those floppies are still collecting, but we're a graying bunch. I wonder how many of us will be around in 20 years.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:23:44 pm He's been pushing this idea for a few months now after he lost a cargo container of books due to theft and water damage. Lots of hyperbole, but one thing I think we can all agree on - fewer people buy new comics everyday. I think those are single issue comics though. Floppies (A word I know you don't like). The folks that collect those floppies are still collecting, but we're a graying bunch. I wonder how many of us will be around in 20 years.
:lol: :clap: MONTTHLLLIEEESSSSSSS!!! Dammit! :lol:

But yeah it's possible that new comic offerings are completely unrecognizable in 20 years. And by that time it might go 80% convention events and 20% storefronts where people buy back issues. As far as the road to that future goes, there are many months nowadays when I order more variants than individual titles.

My October order consisted of 6 titles but 19 books:

(1) Something Is Killing The Children #13
(1) Red Mother #11
(2) Rai #10
(4) Iron Man #4
(2) Canto II
(9) Blade Runner

Now sure, variant buying is a consumer choice, but the industry isn't doing itself any favors by milking it's readership dry through repeat buying via variants. They'd be better off offering no variants and increasing sales across their publishing line. But publishers have never seen the bigger picture - they only see the short term which for years has been that "it's cheap to wrap different covers around the same printed material 6 different times"

But whether new print comic books survive or crumble, Chuck's latest newsletter was interesting enough.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02:40 pm
nycjadie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:23:44 pm He's been pushing this idea for a few months now after he lost a cargo container of books due to theft and water damage. Lots of hyperbole, but one thing I think we can all agree on - fewer people buy new comics everyday. I think those are single issue comics though. Floppies (A word I know you don't like). The folks that collect those floppies are still collecting, but we're a graying bunch. I wonder how many of us will be around in 20 years.
:lol: :clap: MONTTHLLLIEEESSSSSSS!!! Dammit! :lol:

But yeah it's possible that new comic offerings are completely unrecognizable in 20 years. And by that time it might go 80% convention events and 20% storefronts where people buy back issues. As far as the road to that future goes, there are many months nowadays when I order more variants than individual titles.

My October order consisted of 6 titles but 19 books:

(1) Something Is Killing The Children #13
(1) Red Mother #11
(2) Rai #10
(4) Iron Man #4
(2) Canto II
(9) Blade Runner

Now sure, variant buying is a consumer choice, but the industry isn't doing itself any favors by milking it's readership dry through repeat buying via variants. They'd be better off offering no variants and increasing sales across their publishing line. But publishers have never seen the bigger picture - they only see the short term which for years has been that "it's cheap to wrap different covers around the same printed material 6 different times"

But whether new print comic books survive or crumble, Chuck's latest newsletter was interesting enough.
What you describe sounds like Bad Idea....!

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:26:04 pm What you describe sounds like Bad Idea....!
Or old school publishing.

If offering books over variants is like Bad Idea's model I wouldn't know. I want to get on board, but chasing rare market comics just isn't something I can do like I used to. When I do some chasing that time goes towards Iron Man or Quasar Mark Jeweler's at this point. :)