DC is dropping Diamond on 4/28 for DCBS and Midtowncomics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
DC is dropping Diamond on 4/28 for DCBS and Midtowncomics

Post by nycjadie »

This post is making the rounds, and pretty much outlines everything I know:

https://www.facebook.com/brian.hibbs/po ... 1356319042

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: DC is dropping Diamond on 4/28 for DCBS and Midtowncomics

Post by nycjadie »

This is the nugget right here that makes the most sense, once you get past the emotion:

13) The business model of Midtown and DCBS is largely based on massive discounts, and undercutting the asking price of the cover price. Changing that would seem to be a incredibly dangerous idea, in what will almost certainly be lower demand on the other side of this. If you ask me, going the other way with Minimum Asked Pricing (MAP) is the much smarter way to go. The people who are the new "distributor" should not be the people who also sell for 40%+ off. Not if you want to have physical stores representing your output.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Had not realized that DCBS was involved. I used to buy from them, and had to abandon them because there were too many problems. Way more than there's any use going into here. The last straw was when they blamed VEI for their own incompetence. With them involved, I am afraid that the facebook post is way too optimistic.

/Magnus

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

"Dropping" is misleading. They are working with others until Diamond starts up again.

The problem, as mentioned, is these are other retailers that undercut most comic shops. A large, multi-store shop in my area posted about this last night, including...
You may or may not have heard that DC Comics are resuming shipping some titles, but what you don't know is that DC Comics announced they partnered with 2 "New Distributors" that were actually 2 Online Retailers/Larger Stores/Deep Discounters that we will not Advertise Here. Important to note also that DC Comics did not reveal that information to any Comic Book Stores when they announced to Stores they could Sign Up with these "New Distributors" offering this as a solution to getting Comics Earlier because of Diamond Comics Distributors still being Unable to Ship New Comics to Stores during Covid-19, Due to Shutdowns of their Warehouses and Printers that was unavoidable.

The DC COMICS Below will be Coming to CC Stores as Soon as DIAMOND COMICS DISTRIBUTORS Ships them to us, and you will have them in your Subscription Boxes for those of you Signed Up to get these Titles and we will have them on our Shelves in stores when they are available.
I don't have any sense of what nationwide store sentiment may be, but I definitely understand this.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

nycjadie wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:21:50 am This post is making the rounds, and pretty much outlines everything I know:

https://www.facebook.com/brian.hibbs/po ... 1356319042
Thanks for posting this and the link.
***Support your local farmers!***