Double Take Comics!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
Double Take Comics!

Post by JonesyAZ »

Howdy Valiant Fanmily!

It's been some time since I've been on the board; only recently started to catch up on Valiant books I've missed and filling some other Valiant-related holes in my collection. My comic reading otherwise has been classic DC runs, COPRA, Savage Dragon, Transformers, and re-reading stuff like Watchmen and Maxx.

Another recent read has been the ten titles released by the now-defunct "Double Take Comics" or "Double Take LLC." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Take_Comics).

Bill Jemas formerly of Marvel helmed this short-lived, Kickstarter-funded universe of comics that are all based in the fictional world of the classic horror film "Night of the Living Dead." I first got all ten trade collections of their books on the cheap, and then the completist in me located the individual five issue runs of each of the ten titles (released in ten packs called "Genesis").

While the books' art/writing quality fluctuates quite a bit, I have found that they have been a LOT of fun to read. They also inspired me to track down a copy of the Criterion Collection DVD of "Night of the Living Dead" as it's a film I never watched until now (I'm typically NOT a horror film fan).

Check out the info at the Wikipedia link I provided above. The books are in fantastic print quality, and I appreciate what Jemas and his team tried to do in trying to create a connected universe much like what Valiant has done, but in a very different method of approach. I'll update this thread once I've read all of the books. The titles got a lot of heat because of their art quality, but i've found them to be very true and creative with the source material...in creating new concepts within a classic film's universe.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Double Take Comics!

Post by Chiclo »

I kinda remember this happening.

There is a Valiant tie for Jemas; he worked with Dino in some (as far as I remember, unspecified) capacity on VEI before they began publishing. greg posted some kind of anagram in the chain music title thread to commemorate the collaboration.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I remember this. They were apparently going to use it first for video game comics where they were going to attempt to tie all of take-twos games together like X-Com and Bioshock. They of course met resistance to that from the actual studio devs. Which is what led to the Night of the living dead stuff since it's apparently in the public domain, with a plan to try and turn that into a superhero universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00:29 pm I kinda remember this happening.

There is a Valiant tie for Jemas; he worked with Dino in some (as far as I remember, unspecified) capacity on VEI before they began publishing. greg posted some kind of anagram in the chain music title thread to commemorate the collaboration.
http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 05#p625805

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

It is hard to think that your post of explanation of the anagram is over ten years old and that the anagram post was over a year older than that.

Tempus fugit.