Iron Man #1 1968

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Iron Man #1 1968

Post by nycjadie »

I decided to treat myself after overcoming a recent personal hurdle, so I went to the local shop and picked up an Iron Man #1, a book I've wanted for a long time. It's imperfect for sure, with some staining on the back. Still, it's probably a 4.0-5.0. I'm not quite sure because of the staining. A fun book I look forward to reading this weekend and it's also pretty fun to be able to pick up a book that as a kid I could only dream of having.

I also apparently got a pretty good price on it after looking at eBay after the fact. Typically, I'm pretty conservative when I buy things like this, educating myself on pricing, etc. However, this one, I just went with my gut on what I wanted. It was reward, and it turns out I did OK.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: Iron Man #1 1968

Post by depluto »

I’m no IMJ but I have been a huge Iron Man collector for a long time ... only missing a short stack of TOS at this point but I’m working on it.

It’s always seemed pretty easy to find good deals on Iron Man compared to other flagship characters ... not sure why that is but I like it.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17:41 pm I decided to treat myself after overcoming a recent personal hurdle, so I went to the local shop and picked up an Iron Man #1, a book I've wanted for a long time. It's imperfect for sure, with some staining on the back. Still, it's probably a 4.0-5.0. I'm not quite sure because of the staining. A fun book I look forward to reading this weekend and it's also pretty fun to be able to pick up a book that as a kid I could only dream of having.

I also apparently got a pretty good price on it after looking at eBay after the fact. Typically, I'm pretty conservative when I buy things like this, educating myself on pricing, etc. However, this one, I just went with my gut on what I wanted. It was reward, and it turns out I did OK.
It's a gorgeous Silver Age #1 with an iconic cover and great colors to boot. The story itself is sort of meaningless though without a TOS #99 and an Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 which bridges the titles. I wish there was more there as far as content is concerned, but Iron Man #1's iconic cover screams Silver Age sensibility.

And historically it was part of Marvel's big solo push that encompassed a variety of #1's as well as the solo #100-style books. Which means that it has a place in publishing history even if Iron Man hadn't popped for everyone on film. :)

I'm glad you got a copy man!!
depluto wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:14:05 pm I’m no IMJ but I have been a huge Iron Man collector for a long time ... only missing a short stack of TOS at this point but I’m working on it.

It’s always seemed pretty easy to find good deals on Iron Man compared to other flagship characters ... not sure why that is but I like it.
:)

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

depluto wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:14:05 pm I’m no IMJ but I have been a huge Iron Man collector for a long time ... only missing a short stack of TOS at this point but I’m working on it.

Indeed. That and Submariner. I doubt I’ll ever get an AF 15 or a FF 1. Too much for me!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18:58 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17:41 pm I decided to treat myself after overcoming a recent personal hurdle, so I went to the local shop and picked up an Iron Man #1, a book I've wanted for a long time. It's imperfect for sure, with some staining on the back. Still, it's probably a 4.0-5.0. I'm not quite sure because of the staining. A fun book I look forward to reading this weekend and it's also pretty fun to be able to pick up a book that as a kid I could only dream of having.

It's a gorgeous Silver Age #1 with an iconic cover and great colors to boot. The story itself is sort of meaningless though without a TOS #99 and an Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 which bridges the titles. I wish there was more there as far as content is concerned, but Iron Man #1's iconic cover screams Silver Age sensibility.

And historically it was part of Marvel's big solo push that encompassed a variety of #1's as well as the solo #100-style books. Which means that it has a place in publishing history even if Iron Man hadn't popped for everyone on film. :)

I'm glad you got a copy man!!

:)
I never thought of it as a key, but it surely is a notable book. I have all the Ifon Man TOS save 3. When I have access to them, I’ll give them all a read.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Which issues are you two guys missing from the TOS run? I'm just curious.....

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43:53 am Which issues are you two guys missing from the TOS run? I'm just curious.....
ToS 39 for sure. I did buy the recent reprint. That was pretty cool.

I'll have to check when I get access to my collection. Hopefully, in the next couple of months. There are only a few after 39, of the early issues. I haven't seen them in about 4 years. I bought a low grade run of ToS many years ago, and I've been slowly upgrading them where I can. Many of them are VG or F, at best.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I'm missing almost all of the big ones ... 41 is my earliest and I have a nice 46. I need about half of the 50s and 60s and a few after that.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Congrats on that, nycjadie! I love that issue for its cover just as much as IMJ. I recently got a limited edition screenprint poster of the cover that is approximately 16x24 in size - the image really is so iconic and looks fantastic as a large print!

I have owned a copy twice in my lifetime - got a beat up copy for $50 back in the early/mid-90's, sold that one in 2007 [ugh - just before the movie landed] and I finally bought another one back in 2018-or-2019 for $400. Did a layaway at a comic shop for both - young me was floored in the 90's to have it, old me was very glad to have it back in my set. The only issue I have never owned of that whole volume is #55 - it has always been out of my range to acquire since I began collecting. I also only have ToS issues from 84-99 - thats impressive that you have nearly all of them!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49:27 pm Congrats on that, nycjadie! I love that issue for its cover just as much as IMJ. I recently got a limited edition screenprint poster of the cover that is approximately 16x24 in size - the image really is so iconic and looks fantastic as a large print!

I have owned a copy twice in my lifetime - got a beat up copy for $50 back in the early/mid-90's, sold that one in 2007 [ugh - just before the movie landed] and I finally bought another one back in 2018-or-2019 for $400. Did a layaway at a comic shop for both - young me was floored in the 90's to have it, old me was very glad to have it back in my set. The only issue I have never owned of that whole volume is #55 - it has always been out of my range to acquire since I began collecting. I also only have ToS issues from 84-99 - thats impressive that you have nearly all of them!
Thanks for sharing that story. 90's me couldn't afford anything. I like 20's me!