Bad Idea Gold Pins

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Bad Idea Gold Pins

Post by JCP »

Apparently the first in line pins are currency to buy limited comics. You can burn your gold pins now or save them for books to be released later. Currently there are two books available:

Werewolf by Peter Milligan and Robert Gill with a Lewis LaRosa cover. Retirement Plan by Matt Kindt with art by Juan Jose Ryp and a cover by Klaus Johnson. I have three buttons and want both books but shudder at the idea of what might be coming out. Luckily there are two more gold pins next week.

Anybody burning their pins this go around or sitting tight for what’s to come next month? I can’t imagine the print runs are more than 200 for each book.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Bad Idea Gold Pins

Post by magnus20009 »

Print runs of 200? Seems like a lot of effort for the creators to make books that only 200 people are going to read

JCP

Post by JCP »

I counted 378 Bad Idea participating retailer stores per their website. 200 might be off, but the print run for each of these books has to be ridiculously low. Besides, wouldn’t all this effort for a low print run be a bad idea…

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I can't imagine them not reprinting this story as a B side or something, much like they did with the Hero Trade story. It's one thing to create a limited item, but they do want to put stories in people's hands.

JCP

Post by JCP »

Agreed.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:54:54 pm Print runs of 200? Seems like a lot of effort for the creators to make books that only 200 people are going to read
JCP wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16:53 pm I counted 378 Bad Idea participating retailer stores per their website. 200 might be off, but the print run for each of these books has to be ridiculously low. Besides, wouldn’t all this effort for a low print run be a bad idea…
You can trade any of the pins for the books, so it's 378 times however many pins they've given out, or 200 times 7, plus 50 times 6, plus 30 times 5, etc., whenever each of the 378 stores joined in.

Did they announce "We will only print the exact number that are redeemed by the dead line, with no extras and no overages"?
Or would it be possible that they create this huge demand and allow this speculation about extremely low print runs, but then have extras for future uses? What? Making extras would be a bad idea? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I'm not saying that limiting the print run to the exact amount redeemed won't happen. They might.
I'm not saying that they won't make the story available in some other form later. They might.
I'm not saying they could create a huge demand and then we find out the print run is higher. They might.

What I am saying is that "Bad Idea" is not going to do what we think they're going to do. They might.

They might not.