New world record for a comic book - Sept. 9, 2021 - CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
New world record for a comic book - Sept. 9, 2021 - CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15

Post by greg »

The current world record was set today. $3,600,000 for a comic book - CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15 - one of four on the CGC Census.
cgc96af15_20210909.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: New world record for a comic book - Sept. 9, 2021 - CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15

Post by nycjadie »

Oh wow! What will be the next Action 1, Detective 27 or ASM 15?

Hulk 181?

greg
Re: New world record for a comic book - Sept. 9, 2021 - CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15

Post by greg »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:29:01 am Oh wow! What will be the next Action 1, Detective 27 or ASM 15?

Hulk 181?
ASM 15 isn't a big deal. :P AF 15 is a big deal though. :lol:

Other biggies are Superman #1 and Batman #1, Captain America #1, in 1939, 1940, and 1941, respectively.

But to guess what the next big, big book will be, I'll guess CGC 9.8 X-Men #1 (1963), since there are only two of them and only 4 at CGC 9.6.

greg

Post by greg »

This is a fun page - highest comic book sales of all time: https://itsalljustcomics.com/all-time-r ... ook-sales/

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

What a fascinating page!

What do you all think about restored copies for these books? I imagine any copy (even coverless) is going to be coveted to some degree. But what is more valuable? A high to mid-grade restored copy, or a rag (1.0-2.0)?

I'm not sure what I would prefer. I do not like or own any restored copies, but if I was choosing between a low grade copy and say a 7.5 restored copy, I might go for the restored.

greg

Post by greg »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:58:03 pm What do you all think about restored copies for these books? I imagine any copy (even coverless) is going to be coveted to some degree. But what is more valuable? A high to mid-grade restored copy, or a rag (1.0-2.0)?

I'm not sure what I would prefer. I do not like or own any restored copies, but if I was choosing between a low grade copy and say a 7.5 restored copy, I might go for the restored.
It's a tough call.
Any 1.0 to 2.0 comic could be restored to look like a mid-grade restored copy, so I think you're safer with the 1.0 to 2.0, because restoration techniques could get better in the future.

Restoration is really two totally different concepts wrapped under one word, "restoration".

Adding and subtracting.

Adding a few dots of a black magic marker to the spine of a book 50+ years ago is considered restoration.
Adding all new paper and printed chunks of book to a barely-there low-grade copy is considered restoration.
Those two things are very different, but both still count as "adding".

Subtracting restoration is trimming, where the rough edges are taken away from the book.
Subtraction can also be part of recreating chunks of a book and adding those new chunks to "cleaner edges" of the old book.

Subtraction seems like a much worse situation. I'd favor minimal addition (ink or glue) to major addition (chunks added), but both of those are better than anything involving subtraction, in my opinion.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Definitely agree on the subtraction and addition. I view color touch and pressing to be different than "adding pieces to make whole."

I haven't followed how those items affect prices. I did see a key at 3.5 for $3500, and a restored copy at 6.5 for the same price. Outside of the purple label, the restored copy (obviously) looked pretty great. But, the book had added pieces, was reglued and reglossed, among other things. It's essentially not the same book, is it? But which one do I (theoretically) get? In theory, I could afford a far better copy of a restored key than I could otherwise. I guess that there lies the question.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Wow crazy! A year ago I sold that original owner af15 in 3.0 for 30k CAD! If I only had the money at the time….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk