might be of interest...Dynamite is midst launching shared superhero universe

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
might be of interest...Dynamite is midst launching shared superhero universe

Post by Oxmyx »

So far, only Vampirella and Red Sonja plus new interdimensional group The Project.

I just recently became aware of Malibu's short lived attempt at a shared universe called the Genesis line. That was when I posted about the Turok parody issue they had.

The difference is I think, this is possibly a temporary thing. Maybe they will be unshared at at some point.

Interestingly, at least potentially so, Dan Abnett spearheaded this with Red Sonja Superpowers.

Honestly, I don't know that much. Mostly something I read online.

It's actually a multiverse story with Vampi and Sonja each on an alternate Earth.

I really hope that they don't drag Dejah Thoris into this. Since she's on Mars, she might get spared.

Dynamite has been doing crossovers since God knows when but this seems like they're planning on expanding to almost their whole line.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: might be of interest...Dynamite is midst launching shared superhero universe

Post by Chiclo »

Dynamite has dabbled here and there in a lot of disconnected shared universes. Project Superpowers was probably their best - and there was a second mini in that crossover with Red Sonja, which featured Vampirella. I think Dejah Thoris is sitting this one out. They tried rebooting the Chaos line minus the one character anyone remembered, Lady Death. They tried to counterfeit Valiant with a Gold Key shared universe. Kirby Genesis was another one, trying to revive a bunch of old Kirby characters. Those featured Alex Ross covers and those covers where Alex Ross painted dozens of Kirby characters looked like a parrot exploded.

I have met the guy who did Dynamite a couple of times. He looks and sounds like a petty street hustler. I halfway expect that he won the company in a dice game in an alley. One of the frequent posters here in the olden days was his cousin but we haven’theard from him in a while.

Genesis was not the best Malibu shared universe. The Ultraverse was a pretty good counterpoint to Valiant in a lot of ways. They were light-hearted and fun comics. They had a Shadowman knockoff called the Night Man, who had a short-lived tv show. After Malibu was bought out by Marvel, there was a UH1/UH2 distinction and the Marvel crossovers were as bad as the Akklaim VH2 comics. Whereas Genesis seemed to be a bunch of pre-Malibu inherited properties put together in a ramshackle fashion, the Ultraverse was a new creation. Malibu in general was an odd kind of aggregation - there were 6 to 10 comic publishers, most started by the same guy, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg - that consolidated into Malibu. Aircel started out as a Canadian manufacturer of insulation, started publishing comics for some odd reason, got bought out by Malibu and ended up as their smut imprint. Weirdly enough, Men In Black, the Will Smith movie series, started out as an Aircel publication. Malibu grew out of the 80s black and white explosion and that time in comics history is an interesting tale of greed and hubris and a few shards of true art managing to wriggle out when everything else was going wrong.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: might be of interest...Dynamite is midst launching shared superhero universe

Post by Oxmyx »

Wait, wait, MIB started out as smut?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50:16 pm Wait, wait, MIB started out as smut?
I think MiB was published before Aircel was bought out.

According to this checklist that I made, there are two volumes, three issues each, and one tpb.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The first MiB came out in 1990. The second came out in 1991, which is the year the smut became the norm.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:54:20 pm Dynamite has dabbled here and there in a lot of disconnected shared universes. Project Superpowers was probably their best - and there was a second mini in that crossover with Red Sonja, which featured Vampirella. I think Dejah Thoris is sitting this one out. They tried rebooting the Chaos line minus the one character anyone remembered, Lady Death. They tried to counterfeit Valiant with a Gold Key shared universe. Kirby Genesis was another one, trying to revive a bunch of old Kirby characters. Those featured Alex Ross covers and those covers where Alex Ross painted dozens of Kirby characters looked like a parrot exploded.

I have met the guy who did Dynamite a couple of times. He looks and sounds like a petty street hustler. I halfway expect that he won the company in a dice game in an alley. One of the frequent posters here in the olden days was his cousin but we haven’theard from him in a while.

Genesis was not the best Malibu shared universe. The Ultraverse was a pretty good counterpoint to Valiant in a lot of ways. They were light-hearted and fun comics. They had a Shadowman knockoff called the Night Man, who had a short-lived tv show. After Malibu was bought out by Marvel, there was a UH1/UH2 distinction and the Marvel crossovers were as bad as the Akklaim VH2 comics. Whereas Genesis seemed to be a bunch of pre-Malibu inherited properties put together in a ramshackle fashion, the Ultraverse was a new creation. Malibu in general was an odd kind of aggregation - there were 6 to 10 comic publishers, most started by the same guy, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg - that consolidated into Malibu. Aircel started out as a Canadian manufacturer of insulation, started publishing comics for some odd reason, got bought out by Malibu and ended up as their smut imprint. Weirdly enough, Men In Black, the Will Smith movie series, started out as an Aircel publication. Malibu grew out of the 80s black and white explosion and that time in comics history is an interesting tale of greed and hubris and a few shards of true art managing to wriggle out when everything else was going wrong.
I genuinely liked Kirby Genesis. Shame it ultimately went no where. You missed a couple of attempts. They tried Gold Key once or twice more after the initial Valiant like attempt. Tried one with just their old school masked characters like Green Hornet, Shadow, The Spider and Zorro and one with Doc Savage and some other pulp era characters