Comics Greatest World - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Comics Greatest World - Issue List

Post by Draco »

SwiftMann wrote:Depending on the answer to those double foil cover entries above, I think this list confirmed what I've thought I'm missing.

Comics Greatest World Source Book Platinum
Golden City Week 1 - Rebel (gold diamond cover)
Golden City Week 1 - Rebel Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant*
Steel Harbor Week 1 - Barb Wire (platinum cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)
Dark Horse Extra 19, 20, 21, 22 (four-part Ghost story), 28, 29, 30, 31 (four-part X story)
DHP 146, 147
Ghost/Hellboy Ashcan - This one I didn't know about. Need to get it on my wishlist.
Smashing Job dude, did you say you had complied lists for a site previously?
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Draco wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:Depending on the answer to those double foil cover entries above, I think this list confirmed what I've thought I'm missing.

Comics Greatest World Source Book Platinum
Steel Harbor Week 1 - Barb Wire (platinum cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)
Dark Horse Extra 19, 20, 21, 22 (four-part Ghost story), 28, 29, 30, 31 (four-part X story)
DHP 146, 147
Ghost/Hellboy Ashcan - This one I didn't know about. Need to get it on my wishlist.
Smashing Job dude, did you say you had complied lists for a site previously?
Thanks!

I do a LOT of work at http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CGW related, I added/cleaned up a bunch of the variants and completed all the credits and characters (most of which were pretty empty). There were numerous missing that I stumbled over at various sites.

When I go down my rabbit hole it includes getting that site up to date and spreadsheeting characters to make sure obscure ones don't get missed as I go. I've done this at CCL for CGW, current Dark Horse heroes books, Tick, Event, Nexus, Badger, and a few others. I'm currently going through every Valiant issue and updating credits and bios (in the middle of Turok now).
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote:I don't understand what the perceived differences are for the following two sets of two. From my research there are three variants for each Week 1 book (with X getting the Press Proof as a fourth) - Diamond foil, Capital foil, color adjusted.

Arcadia Week 1 - X (foil cover, Capital City Distrobution)
Arcadia Week 1 - X (silver foil cover, Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

*AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (foil cover)
Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (gold foil cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

The below description isn't accurate. I have all three versions of X #1 in hand. The b&w red foil is a full-size comic.

X #1 (regular series) B&W cover with red foil (smaller than regular comic, larger than an ashcan)

San Diego Comic Con Comics #4 needs to be added for it's Motorhead series lead-in story

If Dark Horse Insider #20 is included, #18, 19 & 21 should too. Especially #18 as it has original design sketches and a multi-page column about CGW. I have all four issues in hand. More detail available here.

Duplicate listings below. And as I mentioned in my previous post #3 doesn't have any connection to CGW,

A Decade of Dark Horse #2 (of 4), new Ghost story
Decade of Dark Horse 2, 3

Ghost Ashcan (included with Ghost action figure) - Indicia title is Dark Horse Action Figure Comics #1 (#2 was Martha Washington Goes to War)

The Mask Strikes Back 3 shouldn't be listed. Or, if the Dark Horse Heroes logo is reason enough, so should #4-13 (while the covers had mini-series names and numbers, indicia was always Mask and continuous numbering). #10-13 (World Tour #1-4) were the only ones with any CGW connection and that was because Mask came through a portal into the CGW universe.

As mentioned above, the 1987 Mecha series should be removed from the list. It has absolutely nothing to do with CGW. The only similarities is the reused title for a differently designed mechanical suit.

X Special (Hero Illustrated?) 1, 2 - The indicia title is X/Hero Illustrated Special. #1 was bagged with Hero #13. #2 was sold on shelves a couple weeks later.

Dark Horse 20 Years (which is just a pin-up book) has a new Ghost pin-up
I worked a few of your suggestions into the first post.

Forgive the lack of fresh memory where this checklist is concerned; I made the first post some 8 years ago. Regarding the different Arcadia and Vortex variants, I remember there being some differences in the price tag/medallions? I remember there were differences and now I wish I had been more descriptive. I am going to be very careful in removing variants from the list, particularly as I was very careful to add them in the first place, mostly based on many nights sifting through covers in eBay auctions.

I might move the 1987 Mecha list into an as-of-yet uncreated apocrypha section. The character design is similar enough without the character or origin being the same that I want to include it in this list. Feel free to remove it from your own personal lists.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I think any redundancies can be attributed to adding more information to the checklist in 2012 after not having touched it in a couple of years. I think you are right but am still hesitant to withdraw anything from the list, and thus will make notes but not withdraw them just yet.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Thanks for incorporating some of the items. If the X and Division13 entries aren't duplicates, I'd love to know what they are so I can chase them down. I've just not seen anything different than the below visual references. Some are better images than other, but hopefully helpful.

Arcadia Week 1 - X (foil cover, Capital City Distribution) *possibly redundant*
Arcadia Week 1 - X (silver foil cover, Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

Arcadia Week 1 - X (silver foil diamond cover)

Arcadia Week 1 - X (black, orange and white cover, Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* exclusive to Diamond Distribution)

Arcadia Week 1 - X (Black and white interior, Press Proof Edition, limited 1,500 copies)

Golden City Week 1 - Rebel (gold cover)

Steel Harbor Week 1 - Barb Wire (platinum diamond cover)

Steel Harbor Week 1 - Barb Wire Special Edition (missing $1 price)*AKA Ultra-Pro Variant*

Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (foil cover) *possibly redundant*
Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (gold foil cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (special limited edition - gold diamond)

Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* - purple)
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

got a bunch of these free and I already had a good chunk of the variants, so I guess I'm collecting these now, as well. :P

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Brother J wrote:got a bunch of these free and I already had a good chunk of the variants, so I guess I'm collecting these now, as well. :P
Three down, two to go. :twisted:

J-D Manowar
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by J-D Manowar »

Anyone still collecting or looking for these? I am starting on these now. Anyone have any extras of the harder to get items?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

J-D Manowar wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26:51 pm Anyone still collecting or looking for these? I am starting on these now. Anyone have any extras of the harder to get items?
Now this is a thread worth resurrecting....
The Comics Greatest World stuff was something that filled a lot of forum time for years. I've got longboxes of the stuff still, but I'm missing a few - maybe more than a few of the incentive books.

For my part in it, they were almost always bargain bin pulls. Because of the conversation in these threads and how readily available the books were in the bins, I started building a universe. By the time the dust settled, I'd say that for the most part the only books that were really worth any consideration were the volumes of Ghost which were decent (not great, just decent) reads and a little harder run to build. X was fine too, but Ghost was the only title of merit that I'd ever consider fishing out of my own long boxes ever again.

The only other CGW books I had any real excitement in finding was when I completed the weekly books and foil TPB's from the initial launch. As a kid during the 90's those were the only CGW I had interest in, so filling in those gaps back then was cool. But the after-the-fact run building born of the excitement on these boards was back in .... I dunno... it had to be '08? Hell it could've been '05 for all I remember about it now. But this was when an old forum member named Knightt was hard core into the Dead U stuff and brought those topics up here pretty regularly.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

J-D Manowar wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26:51 pm Anyone still collecting or looking for these? I am starting on these now. Anyone have any extras of the harder to get items?
Still on my list to track down:

Barb Wire Comics Magazine Special
Comics' Greatest World: Rebel Diamond Gold Foil Cover
Comics' Greatest World: Rebel Color Special Limited Edition Cover
Comics' Greatest World: Sourcebook Platinum Cover
Dark Horse Extra #19, 20, 21, 22, 28, 29, 30, 31
Dark Horse Insider #22, 25, 29, 30, 40
Dark Horse Presents #146
Dark Horse Tip Sheet #6, 7
Ghost (2013) #1 Paolo Rivera Cover
X (1994) #18 Newsstand Edition
X (2013) #1 Paolo Rivera Cover

J-D Manowar
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by J-D Manowar »

Awesome! Thanks for the reply, I remember Knight. I used to haunt to valaintfans site back in the early 2000 before the forum crash and a little after it. I have picked up a lot CGW in 25/50 cent bins recently. How rare is the 1994 SDCC 9 card set? I saw a picture of the uncut sheet online.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

SwiftMann wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:52:37 am
Still on my list to track down:

Barb Wire Comics Magazine Special
Comics' Greatest World: Rebel Diamond Gold Foil Cover
Comics' Greatest World: Rebel Color Special Limited Edition Cover
Comics' Greatest World: Sourcebook Platinum Cover
Dark Horse Extra #19, 20, 21, 22, 28, 29, 30, 31
Dark Horse Insider #22, 25, 29, 30, 40
Dark Horse Presents #146
Dark Horse Tip Sheet #6, 7
Ghost (2013) #1 Paolo Rivera Cover
X (1994) #18 Newsstand Edition
X (2013) #1 Paolo Rivera Cover
Here's a copy of Ghost (2013) Rivera cover. Very cool cover, but I'm not collecting these.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID= ... 9#50805519

The X (2013) Rivera cover is very cool. If MCS had it in stock, I would be buying it.