Comics Greatest World - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am not disagreeing... A 'this needs to go on the list' does not fly. I ask why because we need more than just you or anybody else demanding it needs to go on the list. New material, an appearance etc is good reason to put it on the list not reprints or pinups or ads for books don't add up for me. I am not sure what the why the Dark Horse #20 is on the list.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Draco wrote:Ok so two copies exist then.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a lot of copies.

:thumb:
Three copies exist. :D

I recently picked one up... Surely between all of us, more exist ?

Shadow_Contact
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Shadow_Contact »

Just want to let you guys know your Killing me...... Between Valiant/Acclaim, Ultraverse, and now this set my wife might kill me :o :o
I remeber buying X from Bonanza Books in Modesto when it came out, His costume just grabs you.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Shadow_Contact wrote:Just want to let you guys know your Killing me...... Between Valiant/Acclaim, Ultraverse, and now this set my wife might kill me :o :o
I remeber buying X from Bonanza Books in Modesto when it came out, His costume just grabs you.
Hello there... Welcome to the boards. Being a Dead Universe Widow is a tough job, man. But we have counselors for that kind of thing.

As far as being a Dead Universe collector, well we have jackets !!!

Not really but wouldn't that be cool ?

Again, welcome.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

After all the recent sorting of who did what premium version between Diamond and Capitol, i saw these auctions that claim there are Ultra pro versions.
Unfortunately there are no pics.
Anyone shed any light on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGW-BARB-WIRE-ULTRA ... 27978d4a8e

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Same as the Diamond Holofoil Minus the red cape and Arcadia symbol In Logo Minus Diamond Logo. (See Below For Difference)

Notice The Abundance Of Pink

Purple Top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Special-Limite ... 22f908a2e3

Basically the same cover as the regular with Special Limited Edition along the top. Couldn't find an image but linked on Ebay.

Those are the Ultra-Pro Variants.

Draco

Post by Draco »

I have them all, just not listed as such in the master list.

Draco
Re: Comics Greatest World - Issue List

Post by Draco »

I scored a book that isn't on the list and one that i heard existed, but was 99% sure didn't, so extra cool that it does :)

Once i receive the book ill post the pic to confirm.

Im hoping it's what i think it is anyway, only one way to know for sure.
Stay tuned.

I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Did anyone else notice that on page 61 of this month's Previews and below resolicitations for several Ghost TPBs:

"Look for the new Ghost online game coming in the first quarter of 2012"

Draco

Post by Draco »

Draco wrote:I scored a book that isn't on the list and one that i heard existed, but was 99% sure didn't, so extra cool that it does :)

Stay tuned.

Got the book in the post :)
It is Out of the Vortex # 1 gold foil edition.
Never seen one before, but im sure now i bring it up some of you guys will have copies, seen copies, or know of others that exist. If not ill scan and get a pic up.
let me know.

I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Draco wrote:
Draco wrote:I scored a book that isn't on the list and one that i heard existed, but was 99% sure didn't, so extra cool that it does :)

Stay tuned.

Got the book in the post :)
It is Out of the Vortex # 1 gold foil edition.
Never seen one before, but im sure now i bring it up some of you guys will have copies, seen copies, or know of others that exist. If not ill scan and get a pic up.
let me know.

Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt, did you update the first post already? I was going to but it looks like it already has been.

Congrats on the find, Draco. On a related note, I hate you for finding yet another Out of the Vortex variant. I have yet to seal the deal on the first one. :mad:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chiclo wrote:Knightt, did you update the first post already? I was going to but it looks like it already has been.

Congrats on the find, Draco. On a related note, I hate you for finding yet another Out of the Vortex variant. I have yet to seal the deal on the first one. :mad:

I think this brings the CGW new find up to three so far.

:P

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I finally included the issue list for the Ghost Omnibus 2. I was at Hastings today and they had it used for $5.

If anyone really needed to know what issues it covered, it was volume 1 issues 13 to 26.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chiclo wrote:I finally included the issue list for the Ghost Omnibus 2. I was at Hastings today and they had it used for $5.

If anyone really needed to know what issues it covered, it was volume 1 issues 13 to 26.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Chiclo wrote:CGW Issue List UPDATED, 19 February, 2011.

[/quote]
The only ones I see missing are Dark Horse Extra #19-22.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

rasputin9977 wrote:

The only ones I see missing are Dark Horse Extra #19-22.[/quote]
Ah yes - who could forget Ghost
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

rasputin9977 wrote:
The only ones I see missing are Dark Horse Extra #19-22.
Updated.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I added Ghost Omnibus 3 and started a section about the Ghost reboot.

bosco685
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by bosco685 »

Comics Greatest World 3 - I never get bored of this cover.

My OO copies from long ago.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

A couple years ago, I got a huge CGW bug. Picked up anything CGW related including as many variants, DHPs, DHCs as I could get my hands on. Continued to get all the Project Black Sky titles up to and including this month's Barb Wire and King Tiger. Still have a couple items to go, but for the most part have everything. I'll have to compare what I have to the list here when I get a chance.

This was something I wrote up when I had read all the CGW and Dark Horse Heroes books two years ago.

For a few reasons (none rational), I decided to spend the last three weeks re-reading the entire Dark Horse Comics' Greatest World/Dark Horse Heroes run of comics.

Overall, these were a) way better than I remember them, b) mostly hold up pretty well and c) are an amazing time capsule of the industry's collapse in the mid-90s.

The original 16 issue $1 books were a surprisingly coherent story when read all together and did a good job of introducing new characters every issue while telling a cohesive story while world building.

I remember Out of the Vortex being a bore to get through as I bought it, but that's probably because it's the spine of the universe for the year it was published and linked to everything that came before and being published at the same time. It's a damn shame the heavily advertised Nexus: Out of the Vortex follow-up didn't materialize (terrible pre-order numbers). I think it would have been a fantastic blending of the original launch issues and Nexus.

Catalyst was probably my favorite title of the bunch. I love the politics of it and the ambiguous morales of Grace. This was probably the only title that ended too soon.

Barb Wire was a dud of a book from the start and when the sales failed and they started throwing cheap artists on it at the end, it got real, real ugly. The mini-series that came out at the same time as the Pam Anderson movie was nicely connected to everything that came before but was really, really hollow, which wasn't necessary since the movie was a totally different version of the character (movie was the Black Cross version of the character from a decade earlier).

It's easy to see why X was the longest running of the original launch books. It had a clear path and multiple arcs the entire run. They were always heading to the point they reached in #25. It's just that #25 wasn't originally supposed to be the last issue, but it became that because of the market.

The Will to Power mini was an honorable attempt at repeating the success(?) of the original $1 book mini, but it was dark and the 17 page format of each issue didn't serve the story well. It was like Dark Horse rushed the whole line through puberty too early.

Short-lived "ongoing series" like Machine and Division13 were started after the market collapse and Dark Horse clearly had a terrible bean counter. There was no way these titles could hold their own in any market, but in a depressed one, it's no wonder they all went from ongoings to minis to sudden, unannounced (except for the letters page sign off) cancellations. Neither wrapped up any plotlines, not that there were any to care about.

The "it's not just a rebranding" that WAS just a rebranding without any title being a backbone for the line was doomed to failure from the onset.

The Nexus book didn't happen.

Motorhead (like Division13 and Machine before it) had no heat behind it and venom from writer D.G. Chichester haters ("he ruined Daredevil!" claims were probably true - he wrote eight Motorhead related issues that were all basically the same). It was abruptly and appropriately *SQUEE* -canned.

Agents of Law was a pale shadow of Catalyst and also quickly *SQUEE* -canned. Unlike Motorhead (which had no plot), there were major line-wide plotlines never revisited by any title.

Dark Horse even shoe-horned the Mask into the CGW/DH Heroes universe for four issues, which, when reading everything in a three week period was fun, but must have felt like a hugely forced and desperate attempt at the time.

And then Dark Horse finally got Ghost off the ground. Well, the first few issues came out at the end of all the other titles runs, but Ghost found it's groove around the time the rest of the line completely collapsed. I'm only through #19 of the first series (with plans to keep going after I catch up on two months of new books), but it's a very interesting approach to storytelling and characters like X and Barb Wire popping in from time to time (keeping the appeal of the shared universe going). I have to wonder if they had gotten the series out earlier if it could have saved other titles before they were cancelled.

Reading through all 140 or so issues in three weeks showed both the great original idea and promise Dark Horse had when they started and even through the first year. And then you just watched the train go off the rails as they struggled to maintain their audience and the constantly changing announcements and retractions of upcoming books in the letters pages. And the inexplicable waste of resources on titles and characters they thought had gotten some traction. It's all just a great snapshot of the mid-90s.

For me, I think I was too young/immature to be reading these titles when they came out. I wasn't looking for the politics and broken heroes and tightly connected titles Dark Horse threw out there. But now I really enjoyed the original mini, X, Ghost and Catalyst.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann
Re:

Post by SwiftMann »

BruceReville wrote:Decade of Dark Horse 3 (Hero Zero cameo in Mask story)
I did the original cataloging on CCL and didn't have it there and just looked through my issue three times and still don't see Hero Zero (in the Mask story or elsewhere).
The 1987 Mecha series listed has nothing to do with CGW at all actually just shares title name only.
Agreed. This shouldn't be included on the list.

More questions/corrections forthcoming.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Draco
Re: Re:

Post by Draco »

SwiftMann wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Decade of Dark Horse 3 (Hero Zero cameo in Mask story)
I did the original cataloging on CCL and didn't have it there and just looked through my issue three times and still don't see Hero Zero (in the Mask story or elsewhere).
The 1987 Mecha series listed has nothing to do with CGW at all actually just shares title name only.
Agreed. This shouldn't be included on the list.

More questions/corrections forthcoming.
Great to see someone picking this up again dude, giving me reason to dust mysefl off from doin nohing but working all day and night to logging on say 'hi' and catching up for what seems like four years of me not being present :)

I did do most of these as excel sheets as well for people to have multiple access for databases, which of course can still work well for new tech if people are using sites that are far more impressive :)

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

I don't understand what the perceived differences are for the following two sets of two. From my research there are three variants for each Week 1 book (with X getting the Press Proof as a fourth) - Diamond foil, Capital foil, color adjusted.

Arcadia Week 1 - X (foil cover, Capital City Distrobution)
Arcadia Week 1 - X (silver foil cover, Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

*AKA Ultra-Pro Variant* Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (foil cover)
Vortex Week 1 - Division 13 (gold foil cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)

The below description isn't accurate. I have all three versions of X #1 in hand. The b&w red foil is a full-size comic.

X #1 (regular series) B&W cover with red foil (smaller than regular comic, larger than an ashcan)

San Diego Comic Con Comics #4 needs to be added for it's Motorhead series lead-in story

If Dark Horse Insider #20 is included, #18, 19 & 21 should too. Especially #18 as it has original design sketches and a multi-page column about CGW. I have all four issues in hand. More detail available here.

Duplicate listings below. And as I mentioned in my previous post #3 doesn't have any connection to CGW,

A Decade of Dark Horse #2 (of 4), new Ghost story
Decade of Dark Horse 2, 3

Ghost Ashcan (included with Ghost action figure) - Indicia title is Dark Horse Action Figure Comics #1 (#2 was Martha Washington Goes to War)

The Mask Strikes Back 3 shouldn't be listed. Or, if the Dark Horse Heroes logo is reason enough, so should #4-13 (while the covers had mini-series names and numbers, indicia was always Mask and continuous numbering). #10-13 (World Tour #1-4) were the only ones with any CGW connection and that was because Mask came through a portal into the CGW universe.

As mentioned above, the 1987 Mecha series should be removed from the list. It has absolutely nothing to do with CGW. The only similarities is the reused title for a differently designed mechanical suit.

X Special (Hero Illustrated?) 1, 2 - The indicia title is X/Hero Illustrated Special. #1 was bagged with Hero #13. #2 was sold on shelves a couple weeks later.

Dark Horse 20 Years (which is just a pin-up book) has a new Ghost pin-up

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Depending on the answer to those double foil cover entries above, I think this list confirmed what I've thought I'm missing.

Comics Greatest World Source Book Platinum
Golden City Week 1 - Rebel (gold diamond cover)
Golden City Week 1 - Rebel Special Limited Edition *AKA Ultra-Pro Variant*
Steel Harbor Week 1 - Barb Wire (platinum cover, Special Limited Edition exclusive to Comics Unlimited and American Distribution)
Dark Horse Extra 19, 20, 21, 22 (four-part Ghost story), 28, 29, 30, 31 (four-part X story)
DHP 146, 147
Ghost/Hellboy Ashcan - This one I didn't know about. Need to get it on my wishlist.