Future Comics - Issue List

Quick access to the checklists for each of the Dead Universes that have been compiled.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Future Comics - Issue List

Post by k_c_collectibles »

This is a list of the Future Comics put out by Bob Layton. Others to work on this line of comics include David Michelinie, Mike Leeke, Dick Giordano, Ron Lim and Bob Hall. I did not order these when they were released, but they are pretty good! I recommend them to any of you looking for solid stories with good art - like the old Valiant books.

Here is the small list of books they put out:

Deathmask #1, 1 alternate cover, 2 and 3

Freemind #0, 0 DF logo alternate cover, 1, 1 alternate cover, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and #8 ashcan. There is also a collected edition that reprints isues #0 - 3.

Metallix #0, 1, 1 alternate cover, 1 Free Comic Book Day variant, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and #7 ashcan

Peacekeeper #1 ashcan

MOST of these books are available direct from Bob Layton via his website at his Future Comics store: http://www.boblayton.com/futurestore.htm

All books bought there will be autographed by Bob Layton and possibly some other creators.

Bob also has made unpublished books from Future Comics available on his website for downloading and reading. In my opinion this universe was just hitting its stride when the books stopped rolling off the presses...
Chris
Last edited by k_c_collectibles on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianT
Favorite character: X-O Manowar/Ninjak/Armorines

Post by BrianT »

There's also a Metallix #7 ashcan.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

There is also a signed edition of the Freemind TPB. Signed by Bob & Dick. I'm not sure, but I think all of these TPB's were signed.---Steve

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

I think only the ones ordered from Future were signed by Bob, Dick and David. If you ordered it off say Amazon it wasn't signed and numbered.

k_c_collectibles

I picked up my copy of the trade paperback directly from Bob and it was numbered and signed by all 3 people.

Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

k_c_collectibles

Brian Thomer wrote:There's also a Metallix #7 ashcan.
Thanks for the info! I just emailed Bob Layton for verification as I did not see if listed in ither his Future Comics' store or on Mile High Comics. Do you happen to have a scan of it?

Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

k_c_collectibles

Damn double post! :!:

Chris

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

No scan, sorry. My girlfriend has actually appropriated my copy. I think I got it when I ordered several Metallix comics from the Future website, which my girlfriend also appropriated.

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

In Layton's latest update to his website, in the lettercolumn, he reveals that he is currently in talks to release TPBs of the Future Comics material. Nothing concrete to confirm, just that there are discussions.

He even hinted that, if all things go well, the Metallix one may include the story to Metallix #8, as most of the work for that issue had been completed before the company shut down (about 15 pages worth).

I wonder if a Deathmask one would have 5 chapters since 5 were done for the original Deathmask Digest, even though only 3 single issues were released. I imagine he'd want to get as much of the material that's completed out there as possible, even if it was never published (except maybe on his website). That's the only way he's gonna get any sort of return on that work.

www.boblayton.com

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

I could be wrong but isn't the Free Comic Book Day Metallix #1 not #0?

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

I'm almost certain that you are correct.

k_c_collectibles

Whoops - fixed... :oops:

Thanks for the help - it is appreciated,
Chris

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Sheesh do I miss this universe. I honestly supported it through both comic store distribution and through their online distribution and I thought it was the best thing to happen to comics since early Valiant. Really... I miss them that much. They were so entertaining. Layton was on to something with this venture...

I think I'm missing a select few of the htf issues (like the ashcans and stuff).
I'd LOVE to complete my Future Comics collection. Many of the A.I. Invincible Iron Man forum guys were supportive of this line too, but I honestly thought that it was generally some of L&M's best stuff ever.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

You might be able to get the issues you need if you write to Bob at his website. It's www.boblayton.com

Good Luck!---Steve

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

According to Layton's latest update on his site, negotiations to collect the Future Comics series are still ongoing.

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

Heres my current needs

Future Comics:
Deathmask: 1 (alternate cover), 2, 3
Freemind : 0, 0 (alternate cover), 1, 1 (alt. Cover), 2, 3, 8 (ashcan), TPB
Metallix: 0, 2, 7 (ashcan)
Peacekeeper: 1 (ashcan)

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

tictuck wrote:Heres my current needs

Future Comics:
You can get the FREEMIND trade on Amazon.com and most of the other single issues (except the ashcans) and the trade from www.boblayton.com, although if you place an order there, it's possible you'll get an ashcan with your order if they're still available. I got my METALLIX one when I ordered a run of that title.
Last edited by BrianT on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:06:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Brian Thomer wrote:

Future Comics:
You can get the FREEMIND trade on Amazon.com and most of the other single issues (except the ashcans) from www.boblayton.com, although if you place an order there, it's possible you'll get an ashcan with your order if they're still available. I got my METALLIX one when I ordered a run of that title.
I got my Freemind trade from Amazon, SOB's dinged it all up before sending it! :!:

I'd order from Bob, but he's charging full price for Future Comics, which is more than I'm willing to pay. I would like to land one of those ashcans, haven't seen any for sale yet.

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

Brother J wrote:
Brian Thomer wrote:

Future Comics:
You can get the FREEMIND trade on Amazon.com and most of the other single issues (except the ashcans) from www.boblayton.com, although if you place an order there, it's possible you'll get an ashcan with your order if they're still available. I got my METALLIX one when I ordered a run of that title.
I got my Freemind trade from Amazon, SOB's dinged it all up before sending it! :!:

I'd order from Bob, but he's charging full price for Future Comics, which is more than I'm willing to pay. I would like to land one of those ashcans, haven't seen any for sale yet.
Yeah , the full price thing is a no go for me also, especially being a DU and all (Maybe if I needed 1or 2 issues) :thumb:

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

I think the trade is on there for like $3.00 if I glanced correctly. Plus 3 something shipping.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Future Comics is a DU I can skip for a while... if not indefinite.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Brian Thomer wrote:I think the trade is on there for like $3.00 if I glanced correctly. Plus 3 something shipping.
I wasn't sure if you meant Amazon or Layton's web site, so I checked both.

Amazon wants close to issue price for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Freemind-Origin-F ... 314&sr=8-1

By the way, I noticed your review, Brian!

At boblayton.com he has the trade marked as $3.00, which is a steal. It's a neat book and I have to imagine the print run is relatively small since I think it was released near the time Future was going out of business. I wonder if that $3.00 price tag for the trade is a mistake, since he has the regular issues of the comics at $3.00, as well.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

The Future Comics stuff was fantastic. It's ashame that there's so little of it out there.

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Brother J wrote:
Brian Thomer wrote:I think the trade is on there for like $3.00 if I glanced correctly. Plus 3 something shipping.
I wasn't sure if you meant Amazon or Layton's web site, so I checked both.

Amazon wants close to issue price for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Freemind-Origin-F ... 314&sr=8-1

By the way, I noticed your review, Brian!

At boblayton.com he has the trade marked as $3.00, which is a steal. It's a neat book and I have to imagine the print run is relatively small since I think it was released near the time Future was going out of business. I wonder if that $3.00 price tag for the trade is a mistake, since he has the regular issues of the comics at $3.00, as well.
Oh right, I meant Layton's site, thought that would be understood since that's what you guys were remarking about. My bad.

Yeah I'm probably one of the only ones to ever look at Freemind on Amazon let alone write a review on it.

I think the print run is 5000 on that TPB, since it was initially intended as a limited print thing signed and numbered by the creators. Whether they eventually ended up printing more, I don't know. Mine is #275. The Amazon ones I don't think or signed/numbered, but they might be from Layton's site.

IMO, Layton should just put all the material up on WOWIO for download.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I usually don't take this stuff personally, but I've come to the conclusion that Bob wants nothing to do with communicating with me. I've sent him emails on and off for years (both long and drawn out and short and concise) and I've never gotten a single reply from the guy on any level... LOL.

I've been trying to get him involved in what we have going on with A.I. but nothing (although he's been involved in the past).

By virtue of my contact attempts with the guy, I'm almost left with no choice but to think I *SQUEE* him off somehow... LMAO.

Oh well. I still like Future Comics and regret their demise...