What video game are you currently playing?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What video game are you currently playing?

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52:12 am A few days ago I finished the main story (and the Hearts of Stone DLC) of Witcher 3.

But more than drool over this masterpiece, I will only leave a word to anyone interested in getting into the Witcher franchise (lookin at you, jd :D ). Please, read the books first.
Ok, I know its been quite a while - but I finally ended up buying Witcher 3 about 2 months ago while it was on sale in the Playstation Store - along with a couple other cheap games to potentially play out during this pandemic isolation time. Still haven't played it, as I decided to take your advice about the books & read them first. I picked up a copy of the first book to read when I can get to it - currently on a kick of re-reading Isaac Asimov & Robert Heinlein novels first :lol: But I will get to it.

In the meantime, I played a little bit of a fun indie cyberpunk game called Ruiner, which is a classic isometric perspective game but heavily modernized with detailed atmospheric graphics, lots of fun game mechanics and upgrades to chase, plus a wicked cool synthy soundtrack.

I also decided to try out Grand Theft Auto 5 again - been watching a few crime based shows like Better Call Saul & Ozark lately, and that kind of led me to wanting to give GTA5 another go - I last played it in 2015 and didn't get very far into it. I'm really hooked on it now though, I've done one heist & unlocked all 3 playable characters... Trevor is really a ton of fun to play! I love that he is voiced by Steven Ogg - the humour & insanity are well mixed.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I purchased Erica for PS4 as it was on sale for $5. Also picked up Man of Medan (Dark Pictures Anthology) that's made by the same team as U til Dawn.

Erica is a full FMV game and I had such fondness for these type of games in the 90s. I played Bandersnatch on Netflix and it was really fun, but this game takes that idea to a totally new level. You play with a smartphone companion app that works very well. I have absolutely no idea how they shot this or how long it took. The cuts are seamless. A decision tree pops up and you only have a short time to choose your decision or interact with the scene, then it moves without ever stopping the video. The only time that it feel like a game is when there are "explore" segments and these have computer manipulated video frames that allow you to fully interact with the surroundings. It's actually really well done. I did a full playthrough in almost a single sitting. Took about 3 hrs total. (I played the first 30 minutes the night I purchased it, it I was tired and wanted to try out Man of Medan as well.)

No trophies pop until the end to ensure you aren't taken out of the narrative flow. It's a good decision. I can't wait to make a another playthrough and make Erica evil. I refused to kill anyone the first time through (and got a trophy for it!), so I know the story could go much differently.

I don't know if it's still on sale, but it's well worth the full price.

Only tried Man of Medan for a little bit, but it's an improved version of Until Dawn which was one of my favorite games.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Me and my son just completed Uncharted 3. It takes the record for longest time to complete a game. Life just got in the way. We first started playing in 2017... Just picked it back up half completed yesterday and blew through it.

Really fun game. Not quite as good as the previous 2. Looking forward to Uncharted on true PS4 tech (we've been playing the remastered collection on the PS4 which is PS3 games with some upgraded graphics). Uncharted 4 awaits. And then Uncharted Legacy.

Talarius
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by Talarius »

Just started playing the D&D MMO, “Neverwinter” a couple days ago. So far, it’s been fun, but the reviews indicate that once you hit max level it becomes a play-to-win game. I’m not concerned. I’ll play through the 0-70 content and if it turns into a grind at some point, I’ll start a new character or move on to something else.

My younger daughter bought a Nintendo Switch today, so when that arrives she’ll be diving into Animal Crossing, but hopefully we’ll do some MarioKart racing at some point.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Okay, new obsession (actually a rekindling of an old one): Tales of... games. Not as well known in North America as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, but worldwide is the number 3 JRPG series.

I've only played one game in the series, but I spent like 150hrs on it and it's one my favorite games (Tales of Symphonia). At that point, there were only 4 games, only two of which had been localized for English-speaking countries. One on SNES (with a ps1 remake), one on ps1, one on ps2, and Symphonia in the Gamecube. I tried to play the older ones, but emulators were not very good and only existed on PCs which weren't as fun to play on for console based games.

Fast forward 16 years and I hack my 3DS and discover I can play the English patched version of the first game on an SNES emulator. I started that and enjoyed it, so I decided to hack my PS Vita which can play PS1 and PSP games natively through official Sony emulation. There are now 16 games in the series and I already owned quite a few. I downloaded roms of the old ones on PS1, DS, and PSP. Several of the games have never been officially translated, but there are fan ROM patches that translate the games. Between those, downloads of old system games, and already purchased games, I had all games except for 2 that have no fan translation and the last 3 released for the ps4. This week, 2 of those 3 went on massive sale.

I'm going to run through all of the games. I'm really enjoying them.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Okay, I'm about 10 hours into Tales of Phantasia, a 25 year old game (the remake I'm playing is 22 years old) , and I have to say this is one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences that I've ever had. I actually began playing the original SNES version for about 5 hours, but decided the PS1 remake was much better quality, so I restarted on that version. If this game had been available in the US, I would have a totally different opinion on Legend of Zelda. A Link to the Past was previously my favorite game of that era of gaming, but this game blows that one out of the water (and I say this as an absolute Zelda fanatic since I first played the original Legend of Zelda in 1986).

There simply are no other games like this series. They are 100% derivative: mostly a ripoff of Link to the Past, with JRPG elements from games like Final Fantasy and Dragon's Quest with a battle system based off 90s arcade fighting games like Street Fighter and King of Fighters with a story based on Norse mythology and fantasy staples, but somehow this weird, unlikely combination makes for an incredible and unique experience.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:19:03 pm Ok, I know its been quite a while - but I finally ended up buying Witcher 3 about 2 months ago while it was on sale in the Playstation Store - along with a couple other cheap games to potentially play out during this pandemic isolation time. Still haven't played it, as I decided to take your advice about the books & read them first. I picked up a copy of the first book to read when I can get to it - currently on a kick of re-reading Isaac Asimov & Robert Heinlein novels first :lol: But I will get to it.
Good man! :thumb: :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am now getting my *SQUEE* handed to me in Sekiro: Shadow Die Twice A Million Times
THIS. GAME. IS. HARD. But amazingy addictive, when you finally get decent.

I arrived at the final boss, but decided to start over because I need more training. Honestly. Its one of those cases where you can't finish a game the first time you play it because you do not have enough practice. I could die over and over to that Boss, of course, but since Sekiro's world is absolutely beautiful I went seconds to relive some of the coolest fights and make better choices of skills and the likes. I pretty much messed up my Sekiro guy.

I can't reccomend it to anyone who does not like the stuff that From is famous for, or gets turned off by a "real challenge" in a videogame (talking about eye-hand coordination and learning enemies' patterns patiently- while dying a LOT on the process :P ), but, overall, its one of the best games I ever played while the combat is THE BEST videogame combat system I ever played. Just PERFECT on this aspect.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Just recently started Horizon Zero Dawn. Beautiful game and all but something is just not grabbing me. I haven't really been playing it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla not as good as the previous games Assassin's Creed: Origins and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (the latter was insanely fun) I will say that Valhalla is large in terms of locations and things to do and explore. I'll probably never get the hand of how it handles hiding in plain slight, and it's stealth mechanics are clunky (IMHO (i]Odyssey[/i] did much better and was challenging) and I do like a flyting (which is basically Viking Rap Battles it's more fun that it sounds) and Orlog (a dice mini-game) I despise the drinking mini-game. Overall a fun game if you have the time.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!