What video game are you currently playing?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: What video game are you currently playing?

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote: Well that's a bugger. I've got the rest of the following games stacked up here waiting to be played once I've finished with II :lol:
Well Brotherhoods really good as well, Revelations dips, 3 is okay/train wreck, IV is great as well along with Rogue but I don't know about Unity and Syndicate
Actually, I finished II last night so Brotherhood is now installed and awaiting its first play :)

Which one is #3? The native american/pirate/creole girl part? Or just one of the games individually? Have to admit, even though I know nearly nothing about American history I'm rather looking forward to running around the colonial era and facing off against musket-toting guards :) Which games are part 4?

Anything on PS4 is beyond me at the moment, because I don't have one. I'll probably wait a few years until it's gone down in price, and then pick up the entire stack of PS4 AC games for about £7 on ebay (like I did with the PS3 lot, lol!) to play through in one big run! :lol:
Well it goes...

Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed II
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed Revelations
Assassins Creed 3 (The Native American)
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag (Pirate)

Those are the main ones

Assassins Creed Liberation is the one with the woman and can be played anytime really. It ties to 3 but isn't really that important.

It also sounds line your collection is the Americas Collection which is a bundle of Liberation, 3, and 4
That's right, that's the one - they're all on one disc which is rather nifty :) That's also why I didn't know if they were counted as seperate games (ie 3 + 4) or were part of the same storyline like II, Brotherhood and Revelations. I imagined it was probably the latter as the box simply says "The American Saga" on it. I suppose it might've been a little clearer if I'd gotten around to playing them already. Still looking forward to doing so though :D

Having said that, I binged a bit last summer when I saw a load of games on a really good offer in the shop so I've still got Bioshock II and Infinite, Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider to play through as well, so it'll be really tough deciding what to play next once I've finished AC Revelations! :lol:
Some solid choices there. I enjoyed Infinite a lot it's story I feel though could've been portray way better. Red Dead Redemption is amazing and Sleeping Dogs is really under rated as far as open world games go.
Have to admit, I've kind of been keeping Sleeping Dogs as the final game to play of the lot, save the best for last kinda thing! I just hope it'll be good when I get there :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm playing Fallout 4 on the PS4 and Xbox One.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Still playing Destiny only, when I have time for games haha!

The recent free dlc in April added some fun stuff to do, and the slight bump to max level has been fun to chase... They've made it a little less grindy to improve your guardian, which is a welcome tweak.

My wife is still really into playing too, and we've also built up a small clan of regular players!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I'm currently working on Assassin's Creed and have the entire series (minus Unity and Syndicate) lined up on my PS3 and PS4 hard drives thanks to an incredible sale. Still slowly working through Last of Us, Life is Strange, and the Uncharted series (bought the remastered Uncharted Collection for PS4 on a massive PSN sale as well). Like all of them a lot.

Started up a play through of Kingdom Hearts (my wife and I tag team it and have played through the first two games countless times). We have the HD remaster for the PS3 which really brings the game up to the graphical level it deserves. (PS2 graphics just look like crap on a big screen now.) There is Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD (contains the previously Japanese only version of the first game called Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, a 3D remake of Chain of Memories - which was a DS game originally, and the 3DS game of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 in the form of animatics and cutscenes worked I to a sort of movie - they didn't have time/money to adapt the game to be playable in the timeframe they had),Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, PS3 remake of Birth by Sleep which was originally a PSP game, and cutscenes from a mobile phone only game that flashes out story), and an upcoming Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD which has two unreleased games and a remake of another 3DS game called Dream Drop Distance). We just managed 100% on the highest difficulty level on Kingdom Hearts 1 and are working through the Chain of Memories remake.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm currently working on Assassin's Creed and have the entire series (minus Unity and Syndicate) lined up on my PS3 and PS4 hard drives thanks to an incredible sale. Still slowly working through Last of Us, Life is Strange, and the Uncharted series (bought the remastered Uncharted Collection for PS4 on a massive PSN sale as well). Like all of them a lot.

Started up a play through of Kingdom Hearts (my wife and I tag team it and have played through the first two games countless times). We have the HD remaster for the PS3 which really brings the game up to the graphical level it deserves. (PS2 graphics just look like crap on a big screen now.) There is Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD (contains the previously Japanese only version of the first game called Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, a 3D remake of Chain of Memories - which was a DS game originally, and the 3DS game of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 in the form of animatics and cutscenes worked I to a sort of movie - they didn't have time/money to adapt the game to be playable in the timeframe they had),Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, PS3 remake of Birth by Sleep which was originally a PSP game, and cutscenes from a mobile phone only game that flashes out story), and an upcoming Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD which has two unreleased games and a remake of another 3DS game called Dream Drop Distance). We just managed 100% on the highest difficulty level on Kingdom Hearts 1 and are working through the Chain of Memories remake.
Would those Kingdom Hearts remasters be worth it say if you had all of them. Like I've got 1,2, both GBA and PS2 Chain of Memories, and Birth By Sleep. I'm really only missing the DS games. So just wondering if guy should pony up the cash for these when I already own the rest and still have the machines capable of running them.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

I bought and have been playing Super Mario Brothers The Lost Levels off of the Nintendo E Shop.

It was originally Super Mario Brothers 2 in japan:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Brother Darque wrote:I bought and have been playing Super Mario Brothers The Lost Levels off of the Nintendo E Shop.

Amazing how many people still love to play those vintage titles. Says a lot about how well done they were.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:I bought and have been playing Super Mario Brothers The Lost Levels off of the Nintendo E Shop.

Amazing how many people still love to play those vintage titles. Says a lot about how well done they were.
I think it's a stronger statement on the power of nostalgia.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I'm currently working on Assassin's Creed and have the entire series (minus Unity and Syndicate) lined up on my PS3 and PS4 hard drives thanks to an incredible sale. Still slowly working through Last of Us, Life is Strange, and the Uncharted series (bought the remastered Uncharted Collection for PS4 on a massive PSN sale as well). Like all of them a lot.

Would those Kingdom Hearts remasters be worth it say if you had all of them. Like I've got 1,2, both GBA and PS2 Chain of Memories, and Birth By Sleep. I'm really only missing the DS games. So just wondering if guy should pony up the cash for these when I already own the rest and still have the machines capable of running them.
Sorry, man. I just saw this. Don't know how I missed it.

I'd definitely recommend them. The graphic update alone is worth it, but having the Final Mix versions with extra enemies/battles/cutscenes is icing on the cake.

Man Of The Atom
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

Tsum Tsum

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

I'd definitely recommend them. The graphic update alone is worth it, but having the Final Mix versions with extra enemies/battles/cutscenes is icing on the cake.
It's all right, thanks for the opinion I'll have to give it some thought. They aren't too badly priced at the moment but I'm holding off in case of a PS4 release. It for some reason feels inevitable.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

It's all right, thanks for the opinion I'll have to give it some thought. They aren't too badly priced at the moment but I'm holding off in case of a PS4 release. It for some reason feels inevitable.
I'll be surprised if they don't make PS4 versions.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Anybody play Super Meat Boy? I started playing this game when it first came out quite a few years ago on PC. My HTPC died on me, so I didn't have a viable way to play the game for a while. It was a free PSN Plus game a little over a year ago, so I started back at it then, mostly playing on my Vita.

This game is an insanely difficult platformer requiring exact timing and control. It is in the old school vein of a Mega Man/Mario game in that repetition and muscle memory over repeated attempts is what leads to success. I oddly find it incredibly stress-relieving. Completing a course after literally hundreds of attempts is a very gratifying process.

If you aren't familiar with the game just watch some YouTube videos. Entire stages only take less than 30 seconds to complete once you've mastered them, it's all the attempts learning to complete the stage that take time.

The coolest thing about this game is that you can load the next level you've unlocked and it seems like "OMG this is impossible!" After a while of playing the stage over and over, it becomes an almost Zen-like experience. You just start doing it.

It has taken a long time to get through all the levels I have done because after a while, I get into a state where I just get frustrated with the stage I'm on and can't progress. I put it away for a month or so, then pick back up and destroy that level and the next 10 or so without any problems. It's weird. It has 323 stages over 7 levels and I've completed almost to 100% the first 6. It's so much fun.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

lorddunlow wrote:Anybody play Super Meat Boy? I started playing this game when it first came out quite a few years ago on PC. My HTPC died on me, so I didn't have a viable way to play the game for a while. It was a free PSN Plus game a little over a year ago, so I started back at it then, mostly playing on my Vita.

This game is an insanely difficult platformer requiring exact timing and control. It is in the old school vein of a Mega Man/Mario game in that repetition and muscle memory over repeated attempts is what leads to success. I oddly find it incredibly stress-relieving. Completing a course after literally hundreds of attempts is a very gratifying process.

If you aren't familiar with the game just watch some YouTube videos. Entire stages only take less than 30 seconds to complete once you've mastered them, it's all the attempts learning to complete the stage that take time.

The coolest thing about this game is that you can load the next level you've unlocked and it seems like "OMG this is impossible!" After a while of playing the stage over and over, it becomes an almost Zen-like experience. You just start doing it.

It has taken a long time to get through all the levels I have done because after a while, I get into a state where I just get frustrated with the stage I'm on and can't progress. I put it away for a month or so, then pick back up and destroy that level and the next 10 or so without any problems. It's weird. It has 323 stages over 7 levels and I've completed almost to 100% the first 6. It's so much fun.
I played it over a mate's house once and it was pretty fun for a while, until we started struggling to beat levels. I keep thinking about buying SMB and then I keep not buying it because every time I watch videos of later stages it looks insanely *SQUEE* hard and I'll probably end up hating it!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Shadowman99 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Anybody play Super Meat Boy? I started playing this game when it first came out quite a few years ago on PC. My HTPC died on me, so I didn't have a viable way to play the game for a while. It was a free PSN Plus game a little over a year ago, so I started back at it then, mostly playing on my Vita.

I played it over a mate's house once and it was pretty fun for a while, until we started struggling to beat levels. I keep thinking about buying SMB and then I keep not buying it because every time I watch videos of later stages it looks insanely *SQUEE* hard and I'll probably end up hating it!
It does a great job of ramping difficulty a little with each stage. There are literally some stages that as soon as you spawn you just die and you can't figure out what is going on at all. A little while later and you can't believe you're zooming through 75% of the stage like a pro, just trying to get past one of the last obstacles.

I can't tell you how often I think "NO WAY!" when I get to a new stage and see what is required.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

7 Days to Die on the Xbox One.

I describe it as the worst game I've ever loved. Think survival horror, with an emphasis on the survival piece rather than the horror. I've heard it described as Minecraft set in a zombie apocalypse, and that's pretty close. You start out the game mostly naked and alone in a world where nuclear war (or something like that) preceded a zombie apocalypse. You need to gather all the resources required to craft the items you need to survive (i.e. food/water, shelter, weapons, clothes, etc), all that while making sure no zombies get you for lunch... especially at night, those suckers turn into runners at night. Oh, and on top of that... every 7th day, you get attacked by an increasingly difficult horde of zombies, so you best be sure you have some level of protection suitable to the task. That's the game. No real story, though some quests do pop up from time to time. It features a Skyrim-esque rpg leveling system... you level up based on what skills you use.

I call it the worst, because the game is in terrible condition. Graphics that look suitable on the original Xbox and glitches galore, some even game ruining. It's amazing that it made it onto the market, and people are ticked that they bought such shoddy quality.

Despite all that, I find the game very fun, and can't stop playing.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Currently battling a Pokémon obsession that was rekindled by Pokémon GO. Bought the Virtual Console versions of Yellow (for me) and Blue (the one my son chose) on our 3DS systems. Working through that since they announced that you will be able to transfer pokemon from those games onto the new ones coming out this holiday season. Son was enjoying them, but wasn't crazy about it being "pixel art" :lol: (I explained to him that all games looked like that back then. We just purchased Alpha Sapphire (his) and Omega Ruby (mine) so he could have current gen graphics. I haven't even started my copy, but I'm really enjoying reliving playing these games. I was in college when I started playing and started because my nephews loved the games, so I played with them.

The 20 year old games hold up very well.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Just made a start on Assassin's Creed III last night.

Loved the opening sequence in the theatre and on the boat, and now the character has just arrived in Boston so we'll see how the main game goes from here.

Not sure why people knock this game yet because obviously I've not yet played much of it, but I can already see that the main character is drastically lacking in charisma of any sort! :lol: A far cry from the character in ACII that's for sure. Still, we'll see if he develops as the game goes on...
Also noted that the controls are quite different from previous games so maybe this annoyed lots of people :?

All in all though looks very good at the moment :)

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:Currently battling a Pokémon obsession that was rekindled by Pokémon GO. Bought the Virtual Console versions of Yellow (for me) and Blue (the one my son chose) on our 3DS systems. Working through that since they announced that you will be able to transfer pokemon from those games onto the new ones coming out this holiday season. Son was enjoying them, but wasn't crazy about it being "pixel art" :lol: (I explained to him that all games looked like that back then. We just purchased Alpha Sapphire (his) and Omega Ruby (mine) so he could have current gen graphics. I haven't even started my copy, but I'm really enjoying reliving playing these games. I was in college when I started playing and started because my nephews loved the games, so I played with them.

The 20 year old games hold up very well.
Did you happen to see the big Pokemon Uranium Fan game that was making the news there for a while?
Shadowman99 wrote:Just made a start on Assassin's Creed III last night.

Loved the opening sequence in the theatre and on the boat, and now the character has just arrived in Boston so we'll see how the main game goes from here.

Not sure why people knock this game yet because obviously I've not yet played much of it, but I can already see that the main character is drastically lacking in charisma of any sort! :lol: A far cry from the character in ACII that's for sure. Still, we'll see if he develops as the game goes on...
Also noted that the controls are quite different from previous games so maybe this annoyed lots of people :?

All in all though looks very good at the moment :)
First play through I was meh about it in the end but the second playthrough a few years later made a much stronger impression.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Dragon Age: Inquisition for the Xbox One.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

I am still recovering from the Witcher 3. Very dramatic and story heavy RPG in an open world that feels like a life experience once finished. I consider it one of the best games of all time.

I just finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided and... It felt like half a game. It had all the presentation glory and little extras you expect from a great AAA title but was cut short on main quest content and needs some play mechanic refinement. It can be fun (computer hacking breaks play and is downright tedious) but save yourself some regret or grief and buy it in a legendary package with all the patches and DLC. for like $30 on a holiday sale rather than spending $60 now for a game that didn't measure up to that price.

I also recently finished Space Pirates and Zombies 2. For $20 its a lot of fun. Grindy. Not so deep but deep enough. Light hearted and some funny. Build your own space ship on a 2D plain with lego like blocks that snap together.then, fight other space captains, bandits, and space station controlling factions, win arena fights, and build up enough resources and skill levels to kill the zombie horde at the end. You can even start your own faction with space stations and NPC captains helping you out.

I am about to crank up Rebel Galaxy for the first time.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Played a little of the latest dlc for Destiny today - Rise Of Iron. This game overall continues to hold my interest over anything else when I have time to play games (which is very minimal). Still have an unopened copy of Fallout 4 from last Christmas... Got a demo version of the new DOOM to try out but haven't picked up that full game yet.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:Played a little of the latest dlc for Destiny today - Rise Of Iron. This game overall continues to hold my interest over anything else when I have time to play games (which is very minimal). Still have an unopened copy of Fallout 4 from last Christmas... Got a demo version of the new DOOM to try out but haven't picked up that full game yet.
Fallout 4 takes a lot of time to beat the main quest and if you get all the DLC and any player mods (which only on Xbox One and PC) you can kiss all free time you have goodbye.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Played a little of the latest dlc for Destiny today - Rise Of Iron. This game overall continues to hold my interest over anything else when I have time to play games (which is very minimal). Still have an unopened copy of Fallout 4 from last Christmas... Got a demo version of the new DOOM to try out but haven't picked up that full game yet.
Fallout 4 takes a lot of time to beat the main quest and if you get all the DLC and any player mods (which only on Xbox One and PC) you can kiss all free time you have goodbye.
It is broad as an ocean but only as deep as a puddle though. Easy game to play through. A lot of it too. Just less fulfilling.