Xbox Media Center - XBMC

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

Heath wrote:
tssgery wrote:For TV shows, I just rip the content to a Folder structure. I have thought about setting up library mode as it'll be easier to find a specific episode of a show, but have not done so yet.
I really like the functionality of the Library mode. I like having episode descriptions and thumbnails and such. I just hate that the scraper for TheTVDB doesn't see any of my episodes. They have really good info.
I'll try it out when I get home and see what happens.

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Well, I tried it when I got home and had no success.

I then updated my thetvdb and imdb scrapers per the thread at:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31480

and now it's working fine.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I updated the scrapers (and added IMDB TV which wasn't there before), but TheTVDB is even worse now. It doesn't even pull the series information now. All it does is prompt over and over again for manual entry of the series name. I can't get past that.

I did see a message in that thread that someone was using the TheTVDB scraper for Pimped - whatever that is - and it was working great in XBMC. Maybe I'll give that a try.

My one complaint about TV Shows in Library mode is the banners. I don't like the banners. I'd rather have "DVD cover" sized images, like with the movies, instead of the banners.

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Heath wrote:I updated the scrapers (and added IMDB TV which wasn't there before), but TheTVDB is even worse now. It doesn't even pull the series information now. All it does is prompt over and over again for manual entry of the series name. I can't get past that.

I did see a message in that thread that someone was using the TheTVDB scraper for Pimped - whatever that is - and it was working great in XBMC. Maybe I'll give that a try.

My one complaint about TV Shows in Library mode is the banners. I don't like the banners. I'd rather have "DVD cover" sized images, like with the movies, instead of the banners.
The "Pimped" version is a tweaked distribution of XMBC. Just searcha round the tracker sites and you'll find it. By "tweaked", I think all theyve done is to add a whole slew of scripts and addons.

I don't get any of the errors you do. It pulls down all the information flawlessly (episode summaries, cast, etc...)... and I pull down my own banners (I like the wide banners myself).

Tonight, when I get home... I'll erase my whole database and start from scratch just to ensure it works like I think it does

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Okey dokey.

I came home this evening and removed my video database. When I tried to rescrape them, it didn't work right at all.

Since my version of XBMC is a little dated (3-4 months), I did some poking around the forums and found a lot of talk about the tvdb scraper work going on.

So, I loaded up the newest T3CH build (April 6) and the scraper (tvdb) works great. It's also a lot faster than it used to be!

Heath

Post by Heath »

tssgery wrote:Okey dokey.

I came home this evening and removed my video database. When I tried to rescrape them, it didn't work right at all.

Since my version of XBMC is a little dated (3-4 months), I did some poking around the forums and found a lot of talk about the tvdb scraper work going on.

So, I loaded up the newest T3CH build (April 6) and the scraper (tvdb) works great. It's also a lot faster than it used to be!
I wish I knew what was wrong with mine, then. I have the same April 6 T3CH build, and the latest scrapers. TV.com and IMDB TV work, but not TVDB.

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Heath wrote:
tssgery wrote:Okey dokey.

I wish I knew what was wrong with mine, then. I have the same April 6 T3CH build, and the latest scrapers. TV.com and IMDB TV work, but not TVDB.
How are your files named, and did you create an advancedsetting.xml file?

My episodes are named like "CSI Miami S01e01 - Pilot" and I did not need to create an advancedsettings.xml file.

Heath

Post by Heath »

tssgery wrote:How are your files named, and did you create an advancedsetting.xml file?

My episodes are named like "CSI Miami S01e01 - Pilot" and I did not need to create an advancedsettings.xml file.
My files are named like "CSI Miami - 1x01 - Pilot." I did create an advancedsettings.xml file. Initially, I couldn't get any of the scrapers to see the episodes, so I researched the file naming conventions, tried all of the "default" ones that should work without that file (including the way you have it), but nothing worked until I created that file. Even after that I had to play around with it to get it to work.

Here's the content of my advancedsettings.xml file. I just threw a bunch of stuff in there trying to make it work.

Code: Select all

<tvshowmatching>
  <regexp>([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[\._ \-][^\\/]*</regexp> 
</tvshowmatching>

Heath

Post by Heath »

So I renamed my database files and re-scanned. Now TVDB no longer gets into a prompting loop, but it doesn't pull any info either. Every field, except number of episodes reports "Not available." It lists the number of episodes as -1 (negative 1). This is consistent for every series. I again tried renaming the episodes using different methods (including s01e01), but no luck.

The IMDB TV scraper is now doing the prompting loop where it asks for manual entry of the title over and over and over.

TV.Com still seems to be working correctly.

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Heath wrote:
tssgery wrote:How are your files named, and did you create an advancedsetting.xml file?

My files are named like "CSI Miami - 1x01 - Pilot." I did create an advancedsettings.xml file. Initially, I couldn't get any of the scrapers to see the episodes, so I researched the file naming conventions, tried all of the "default" ones that should work without that file (including the way you have it), but nothing worked until I created that file. Even after that I had to play around with it to get it to work.

Here's the content of my advancedsettings.xml file. I just threw a bunch of stuff in there trying to make it work.

Code: Select all

<tvshowmatching>
  <regexp>([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> 
  <regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[\._ \-][^\\/]*</regexp> 
</tvshowmatching>
Well, the third one:
Should work fine with your naming convention

I'm afraid I don;t know what to tell you. Does the xmbc.log have any information in it?

Heath

Post by Heath »

A new build of XBMC was released over the weekend, so I decided to just start totally from scratch. I backed up the current install of XBMC and my UserData to my PC, then deleted it from the Xbox. Then I uploaded the current release and began anew. All of the scrapers are working just fine now. There is a known bug when scanning a single TV show that causes the system to freeze, but at least it's a known bug and not just odd happenings on only my system.

Also installed a new 500GB hard drive in my computer to hold all the video I'm streaming to the Xbox. I've got a 120GB that is holding the music, and a 60GB where the OS is installed. Still not enough storage.

I have a home made NAS box that I plan on building (IDE 4-port RAID controller card, 8x 500GB or 750GB hard drives), but it's several projects down on my list. The most expensive part will be the hard drives. Other than the RAID controller card and the HDs, I've got enough computer parts (or will have after I build a new system).

Heath

Post by Heath »

As much as I love the "Library Mode" in XBMC, I wish it could handle media it doesn't find in the various databases - such as obscure or foreign TV shows, home movies, etc.

I also wish there were some kind of parental controls - a password to watch movies over PG13 or something like that.

Heath

Post by Heath »

Hey, tssgery, is it possible for the UserData folder to be placed on network storage instead of the Xbox's hard drive?

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

Heath wrote:Hey, tssgery, is it possible for the UserData folder to be placed on network storage instead of the Xbox's hard drive?
I don't think so... which is unfortunate. I've got two xboxes with identical UserData folders (so I get the same favorites, etc...). What I do is to periodically ftp from one xbox to the other after I make a configuration change in an XML file.

Heath

Post by Heath »

I installed the new version of XBMC: "Atlantis" beta 2. I didn't really see any major differences. But, there is a new skin called "MediaStream" which kicks Project Mayhem III's *SQUEE*! It corrects all of the little problems I had with the Project Mayhem skin and is the slickest thing I've ever seen.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Does anyone know if there is a Hulu script out?

TheValiantShow
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by TheValiantShow »

thePike wrote:
D_N_G wrote: you can do a swap without a modchip, but you will still need all the stuff required to do a softmod in order to do so

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

edit: lol, didnt hit post and you guys already answered.. the link above is alittle more up to date
I haven't found it yet, but my question is this...

Just how big can I go?

With the hard drive that is...?

EDIT: Apparently anything over 137GB you gotta foramt a G: drive, but how far after that until you have format an H: I wonder?
There is no limit to HDD size, You just have to use a program called xboxpartitioner and set the cluster size from 16 to 32. I'm currently running 3 hdd's on my xbox using an xtender modification that lets me switch between the 3. Currently I'm using three 320gig Seagate Perpendicular recording drives as they run very cool. Temperature is your number one concern as the hdd is quite cramped and there really is no direct air being passed over the drive. It's advisable to do a fan mod and put something a bit more beefy in there to keep everything cool.

tssgery

Post by tssgery »

TheValiantShow wrote:
thePike wrote:
D_N_G wrote: you can do a swap without a modchip, but you will still need all the stuff required to do a softmod in order to do so

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

edit: lol, didnt hit post and you guys already answered.. the link above is alittle more up to date
I haven't found it yet, but my question is this...

Just how big can I go?

With the hard drive that is...?

EDIT: Apparently anything over 137GB you gotta foramt a G: drive, but how far after that until you have format an H: I wonder?
There is no limit to HDD size, You just have to use a program called xboxpartitioner and set the cluster size from 16 to 32. I'm currently running 3 hdd's on my xbox using an xtender modification that lets me switch between the 3. Currently I'm using three 320gig Seagate Perpendicular recording drives as they run very cool. Temperature is your number one concern as the hdd is quite cramped and there really is no direct air being passed over the drive. It's advisable to do a fan mod and put something a bit more beefy in there to keep everything cool.
I just leave the original drive in there, or replace with the smallest PATA drive I can find. I've got 2.25 terabytes of networked storage where I keep my media content (mp3s, videos, etc...). You could do the same with a samba share off your computer.

The only real reason I've found to utilize a larger hard drive in the XBOX is if you want to play copies of games. Playing games off a network share does not work at all (nor will it ever).

TheValiantShow

Post by TheValiantShow »

I only have maybe a dozen of my fav xbox games on the hdd but i mostly use the space for archiving all of my fav shows, music, pictures, Entire valiant collection and other media I come across that I like.

I prefer having the storage in my xbox since I can save all the shows I like to watch and using the autostart manager I simply start my xbox and it automatically starts playing the media I choose. Very convenient. And that way it's portable in case I want to take it to a friends for a movie night or party.

Ie say you want to have cartoons play for the kids while the babysitter's there. You browse to your cartoons folder and when you start the xbox it will start playing them.

Also the xbox is the ultimate retro gaming museum. I'm helping on a huge project that's adding video preview support to most of xports emulators which of course takes up space and since Gigs are delightfully cheap I can have a TB or more on my box without breaking the bank.

You can play roms via smb shares. But you're correct about the games.

Heath

Post by Heath »

TKWill wrote:Does anyone know if there is a Hulu script out?
Check out this thread: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36218

I haven't tried it myself yet. I just came across that and, remembering your question, came here to post the link.

BTW, the new official "stable" release of XBMC for XBOX 8.10 codenamed Atlantis has been released! I'm installing it now.

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

Heath wrote:

I haven't tried it myself yet. I just came across that and, remembering your question, came here to post the link.

BTW, the new official "stable" release of XBMC for XBOX 8.10 codenamed Atlantis has been released! I'm installing it now.
I thought Atlantis was a computer frontend and not designed for the Xbox. I am probably wrong so let me know how it works out.

Heath

Post by Heath »

TKWill wrote:
Heath wrote:

I thought Atlantis was a computer frontend and not designed for the Xbox. I am probably wrong so let me know how it works out.
Atlantis is the name for the newest version of XBMC. This version is available for several platforms; Xbox (original, not 360), Windows XP/Vista, Linux (Ubuntu), Apple TV, MAC OSX (Intel-based Leopard & Tiger), and there is even a "Live" CD you can boot from and go straight into XBMC.

I did have some problems with the Beta version locking up. I decided to completely rebuild the UserData after upgrading to the Final release last night, so haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet other than rescanning my media library. But so far, so good. And the MediaStream skin is freaking awesome!

schi0249
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by schi0249 »

I'm having a strange issue with my soft mod. I went to upgrade to the newest version of XBMC, and something got messed up. So I uninstalled it and went to reinstall. However none of the files on the internet are working for me. Anyone use Mechassault to softmod their xbox? If so, do you still have the file?

Heath

Post by Heath »

schi0249 wrote:I'm having a strange issue with my soft mod. I went to upgrade to the newest version of XBMC, and something got messed up. So I uninstalled it and went to reinstall. However none of the files on the internet are working for me. Anyone use Mechassault to softmod their xbox? If so, do you still have the file?
What kind of problems are you having? What are you using for the dashboard? I'm using UnleashX. And I used the Splinter Cell exploit.

schi0249
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by schi0249 »

All the exploits I've tried don't launch unleashx. All I get is a black screen. For some reason, I didn't keep the file I originally downloaded a few years back. My Xbox currently boots to the MS dash and works "normal". I just can't get it to mod again.