Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Xbox 360 wired router recommendations

Post by Cyberstrike »

I bought a Linksys wired router at Wal-Mart and after a small power surge or brown out that knocked out the PC and the router and after calling Linksys tech support we were able to get it fixed.

Then earlier today I was playing on my Xbox 360, when a thunderstorm came through, and before I could save my game and turn my 360 off, the router went out again.

After several calls to Linksys tech support and due to their *SQUEE* phone systems that required me to yell at the top of my lungs and several
disconnections, I finally got through them and they told me that the router was defective and too take it back to Wal-Mart, which I did and got my money back.

I had to walk to Wal-Mart in a hot and humid day and by the time I got my money back (which was $50.80) which I put in my checking account because I was too tied, *SQUEE* off to deal with this crap again today.

Now I want any recommendations for a wired router for about $55 (USA), that is compatible for a PC with an AT&T DSL connection and an Xbox 360.

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque
Re: Xbox 360 wired router recommendations

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Cyberstrike wrote:I bought a Linksys wired router at Wal-Mart and after a small power surge or brown out that knocked out the PC and the router and after calling Linksys tech support we were able to get it fixed.

Then earlier today I was playing on my Xbox 360, when a thunderstorm came through, and before I could save my game and turn my 360 off, the router went out again.

After several calls to Linksys tech support and due to their *SQUEE* phone systems that required me to yell at the top of my lungs and several
disconnections, I finally got through them and they told me that the router was defective and too take it back to Wal-Mart, which I did and got my money back.

I had to walk to Wal-Mart in a hot and humid day and by the time I got my money back (which was $50.80) which I put in my checking account because I was too tied, *SQUEE* off to deal with this crap again today.

Now I want any recommendations for a wired router for about $55 (USA), that is compatible for a PC with an AT&T DSL connection and an Xbox 360.
I still would reccomend linksys as that is what I have for a wireless router and I have not had any issues. I can't say much about wired ones. Sorry.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:I bought a Linksys wired router at Wal-Mart and after a small power surge or brown out that knocked out the PC and the router and after calling Linksys tech support we were able to get it fixed.

I still would reccomend linksys as that is what I have for a wireless router and I have not had any issues. I can't say much about wired ones. Sorry.
I don't have the money for an Xbox 360 wireless apter and a wireless router at this time. I forgot to add that my PC has Windows Vista.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I have a Belkin wireless-G router (with built-in 4-port wired switch) I picked up from Craig's List for $20 and replaced the firmware with DD-WRT. Works amazingly well. I used it as a wireless bridge previously, and now use it as my main router and wireless access point.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:

I don't have the money for an Xbox 360 wireless apter and a wireless router at this time. I forgot to add that my PC has Windows Vista.
I would pick up something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124085

Then I use this for my 360 and I also have my Blu Ray player connected to the net with it for updates:

http://store.shopila.net/wlitx4g54hp747464109725.html

I would go the Wireless "N" route now if possible in case you want to stream video wirelessly in the future since it's the same money or so. Unfortunately the if there is an "N" ethernet bridge it'll be a lot more money.

You should also be able to get a Wireless "G" router pretty cheap nowadays if you want to stay that way. Check Newegg.

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Whatever you do, get one that is compatible with DD-WRT and re-flash the firmware with that ASAP. It will provide a whole new world of features not available with the manufacturer's firmware.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I had a linksys wireless access point the worked out pretty well... I don't know that it was $50 (might have been) but it was definitely less than the xbox one.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Heath wrote:Whatever you do, get one that is compatible with DD-WRT and re-flash the firmware with that ASAP. It will provide a whole new world of features not available with the manufacturer's firmware.
It should be noted that doing so will void the manufacturer's warranty.

I also hear good things about Tomato. I think I will be playing around with this when I get the "tubes" installed at my apt.

Tomato