Xbox E3 dashboard update announcement

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Xbox E3 dashboard update announcement

Post by etos45 »

I'm just curious what everyone thinks of the new Dashboard that xbox is launching this fall?

I like it, but I think the avatars are nothing more than rip offs of Nintendo's Miis... be it's okay, because I liked those too. The only thing I'm really curious about is the ability to copy your games to the HDD. I wonder what they're going to do to keep you from just renting a game and copying it to the hard drive. I mean, if they require you to put the disc in, it kind of eliminates the best feature of being able to copy a game over.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Re: Xbox E3 dashboard update announcement

Post by TKWill »

etos45 wrote:they require you to put the disc in
The idea is that you will not have to hear the drive spinning for hours at a time while you are playing. The noise has been one of the big complaints concerning the 360 from day one. The disc will only spin up to assist with loading during game (this will cut down load-time).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/detai ... -play-ale/

etos45
Re: Xbox E3 dashboard update announcement

Post by etos45 »

TKWill wrote:
etos45 wrote:they require you to put the disc in
The idea is that you will not have to hear the drive spinning for hours at a time while you are playing. The noise has been one of the big complaints concerning the 360 from day one. The disc will only spin up to assist with loading during game (this will cut down load-time).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/detai ... -play-ale/
Oh... that's such a waist... I'm glad I know that before I had bought a bigger HDD.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

As long as it is fresh and new (AND WORKS), I won't mind. I look forward to a bit of a change.

Same goes for PS3, can't wait for the Lobby thing... I wish we had more get togethers on either system. If I had enough reason (other than NOT being able to download the Too Human demo right now because of my Silver membership) to, I might upgrade my membership from Silver to Gold.

One benefit with the PS3... free online play. But I am not much of an online gamer anyways. Mainly stick to the single player stuff but again, I am an achievement hound, I hear that there are online play achievements. Is this true ?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Knightt wrote:As long as it is fresh and new (AND WORKS), I won't mind. I look forward to a bit of a change.

Same goes for PS3, can't wait for the Lobby thing... I wish we had more get togethers on either system. If I had enough reason (other than NOT being able to download the Too Human demo right now because of my Silver membership) to, I might upgrade my membership from Silver to Gold.

One benefit with the PS3... free online play. But I am not much of an online gamer anyways. Mainly stick to the single player stuff but again, I am an achievement hound, I hear that there are online play achievements. Is this true ?
There are lots of online achievements, but they can be a real pain in the *SQUEE* to get.

I'm not too excited about the 360 stuff. I don't communicate too much online, although I have flipped off some friends with the vision camera.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Knightt wrote:As long as it is fresh and new (AND WORKS), I won't mind. I look forward to a bit of a change.

Is the PS3 lobby thing like Xbox's "parties", where you can get up to 8 people together and do... whatever...? If you don't use Xbox live, then I really don't see a whole lot of reason to upgrade to the Gold... but I don't even know what you're missing out on in the silver.

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

etos45 wrote:

Is the PS3 lobby thing like Xbox's "parties", where you can get up to 8 people together and do... whatever...? If you don't use Xbox live, then I really don't see a whole lot of reason to upgrade to the Gold... but I don't even know what you're missing out on in the silver.
The partnership with Netflix will be pretty cool. Being able to stream the "Instant Watch" on the 360 will be nice. As it is I have rarely purchased a movie on the 360 because of the cost and it only being good for a single view.

The things that I am looking forward to are the Netflix and the search function. Right now it can be a pain in the *SQUEE* to find out which sub menu a random item that you want to download is in.

Loading off the HDD is the same thing that PC games work off of, it is a way to verify ownership of the game while not burning out the optical drive, any owner of a PS2 or Xbox is familiar with this problem.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

etos45 wrote:

The best way to describe PS3's "Home", think of a Mall, we can walk around, see this, see that, buy this, buy that, game online, leave the mall. There are 'houses' for sale and people can see the stuff (trophies and the like) in your house. There is a better description I am sure but that is the basics.