H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Knights of the old republic - trailer

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

OH my freakin god! I cant wait for this game.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... eid=ea3719

:D :thumb: :twisted:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

that video looked real cool. I would totally watch a full movie like that.

h-comics

Post by h-comics »

Amazing!! Well another game to put on my want list.

Jesse

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow, that was impressive. Why couldn't they do something like that with the Clone Wars cartoon?

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

swwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

MMORPG for PC, by the way.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Yoikes.

:thumb:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by *SQUEE* »

I wish it wasnt a MMORPG.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Wow. That trailer is DAMN AWESOME. Lucas should hire those guys to expand that into a feature film. I'd pay money to see that in the theater.

Anybody know the expected release date?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Heath wrote:Wow. That trailer is DAMN AWESOME. Lucas should hire those guys to expand that into a feature film. I'd pay money to see that in the theater.
Me too.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

TKWill wrote:MMORPG for PC, by the way.
When I first heard about it I'd thought they were making a new KoTOR, I was really let down that it was an MMO. I love them, but those monthly fees are just ridiculous.

Eternalwarrior68
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

The release date is some time next year. This one was made by the team that made KOTOR and it looks incredible. I know they have changed there minds a couple times on how they where going to charge for the game.

Last I heard, it was going to be monthly subscription based.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

etos45 wrote:
When I first heard about it I'd thought they were making a new KoTOR, I was really let down that it was an MMO. I love them, but those monthly fees are just ridiculous.
Actually when you think about what you get for your money, subscription fees are fairly reasonable.

Look at it this way. World of Warcraft cost what 30 quid over here when it was released and you got a month free. From then on it is 9.00GBP a month.

When you spend say 30-40 quid for a new game what do you get? About a week realtime play on a big RPG and when you finish it what then? It sits on a shelf. So say it takes a month to finish the game in amongst work time and family and other commitments and you are done. An MMORPG like WoW still carries on because there is a lot to do so rather than pay 30-40 quid for another months play you pay 9 quid.

Paying subscription fees aren't as bad as buying a new game because in the space of 2 months you have spent 30.00 for a new game (WoW in this case at what I payed for it) and then 9.00 in month 2 for the subs. 39.00.

If you had bought 2 games that is easily 60-80 quid for the 2 if you only buy 1 game a month, or more if you buy a sweet collector's edition like I did for my brother for his birthday. Star Ocean Collector's Edition for X-box 360 cost 50.00GBP. The upside is that it comes with a guide and a soundtrack which will cost 15.00-20.00 for the guide and 20.00 for the soundtrack.

So much as I dislike MMOs I have tried them to find out and they are more reasonable than buying new stuff all the time. On top of costs you have the social aspect as well. My brother is a serious WoW player but he actually meets up with the guys he plays with. Last year a guy came over from Denmark to hang out. You don't get that with Mario Brothers.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Drift wrote:
etos45 wrote:
Actually when you think about what you get for your money, subscription fees are fairly reasonable.

Look at it this way. World of Warcraft cost what 30 quid over here when it was released and you got a month free. From then on it is 9.00GBP a month.

When you spend say 30-40 quid for a new game what do you get? About a week realtime play on a big RPG and when you finish it what then? It sits on a shelf. So say it takes a month to finish the game in amongst work time and family and other commitments and you are done. An MMORPG like WoW still carries on because there is a lot to do so rather than pay 30-40 quid for another months play you pay 9 quid.

Paying subscription fees aren't as bad as buying a new game because in the space of 2 months you have spent 30.00 for a new game (WoW in this case at what I payed for it) and then 9.00 in month 2 for the subs. 39.00.

If you had bought 2 games that is easily 60-80 quid for the 2 if you only buy 1 game a month, or more if you buy a sweet collector's edition like I did for my brother for his birthday. Star Ocean Collector's Edition for X-box 360 cost 50.00GBP. The upside is that it comes with a guide and a soundtrack which will cost 15.00-20.00 for the guide and 20.00 for the soundtrack.

So much as I dislike MMOs I have tried them to find out and they are more reasonable than buying new stuff all the time. On top of costs you have the social aspect as well. My brother is a serious WoW player but he actually meets up with the guys he plays with. Last year a guy came over from Denmark to hang out. You don't get that with Mario Brothers.
I think MMO's are only for the SERIOUS gamer. As most of us will wait a month or two and get the game for alot less than the £30-40 RRP either preowned or reduced. MMO's on the other hand cost £9 every month... plus they don't really change. WoW is still the same game it was when released however many expansion packs they bring out. Thats why I'd rather buy Final Fantasy one month, Pro Evo another and then Halo the next for example.

EDIT: I'm liking the semi-Thor based pic Drift!

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Wow... :o

This is the kind of game that could cause my wife to leave me.. I better steer clear! LOL Otherwise, I get so sucked into it.

Well, maybe a little.. :twisted:

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:
etos45 wrote:

I think MMO's are only for the SERIOUS gamer. As most of us will wait a month or two and get the game for alot less than the £30-40 RRP either preowned or reduced. MMO's on the other hand cost £9 every month... plus they don't really change. WoW is still the same game it was when released however many expansion packs they bring out. Thats why I'd rather buy Final Fantasy one month, Pro Evo another and then Halo the next for example.

It has been up for a couple of days and you are the first to spot that. You win the prize. Wait for it....

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:
etos45 wrote:

Just Thor.

Drift

Post by Drift »

That's right. You got your very own off topic Just Thor quote :thumb:

Well done.

I get the point about them being the same but all I was trying to point out was that if that is what you are into, then MMO subs are more cost effective than buying different stuff.

I am not a fan myself but was merely playing devil's advocate.

I used WoW as an example as that is one of the big names and also one I have tried.

I personally prefer to pick up a variety of different bits as I have varied and somewhat obscure tastes. Due to the fact that I am a cheap <Just Thor>* I tend to buy my games way on the back-burner. The other week my sister and I bought 8 games between us for less than 40 notes, yes less than a fiver a game, across 3 consoles (PS2, PSP and DS - not all old stuff so simmer down those of you thinking of piping up - one of theose was a first gen release of Lumines which for those of you in the know should set you back a pretty penny as it was one of the keys to PSP home-brew = 3 quid Mofuh). In fact I don't think I have bought a new release game for myself for over 3 years now, or new release anything come to think of it. Last recent release I got was Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII andthat was a second hand copy that I managed to haggle down to a quarter of new release RRP.

* Self-censorship for the win!!!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Drift wrote:
etos45 wrote:

Well, I'm not completely anti-MMO, but I really don't consider them cost effective unless you play them constantly. First of all (and I may be alone on this thought), MMOs are not anywhere near as good of games as regular RPGs. They lack all of the really in depth stories and character development. I know that the obvious reason is because you have tons and tons of people playing at once, so it's unrealistic to try to have a real storyline going because not everyone is going to be in the same spot. Also, there are many times where I'll want to take a break and set the game down for a few weeks.... but I'm still paying unless I decide this at the end of a pay cycle and cancel my subscription.

Plus, to keep moving along the game after you "beat" it you have to get an expansion. Now, I know you'll say that 1 game a year is better than 12, but it's still an added expense.

My last complaint is the stupidest of all ( :P ).... many of the times it is absolutely impossible to carry on without a group. I like MMOs but I am extremely bad at meeting people to play with. I'm also not an obsessive player. So should I meet a group today to play with, by the time I get back on in a couple of days they have flown passed me in the levels. If you find other casual players, they are nearly impossible to see on at the same time.

I just know that I enjoyed the first KOTOR way more than I ever liked Star Wars Galaxies.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

it rocked i like the rogue squadrens as well

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

No one can make action RPGs as good like Bioware. I have yet to play a bad Bioware game.

That being said I'm not going to buy or play this one because of two reasons:
1) I'm not into MMORPGs.
2) I totally suck at PC games. I've never mastered using the keyboard and mouse as a game pads. I have played and enjoyed several point and click games in the past (games that really only use the mouse alone) but now of days my wrists just wouldn't be able to handle it.

Plus I've always hated installing games (and software in general) on my PC. It's a major pain in the *SQUEE*.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

That is a shame.

A nice single player story on PC or console would be a nice addition and not alienate those not into MMORPG. I am too unreliable to 'be there' for a raid or whatever it is that my son (and daughter) call it when my 'clan' (?) needs me.

But that trailer game me goosebumps. I will forever be a Star Wars fan. It was my staple diet when I was a child.

To see these stories fleshed out after so many years... it is GREAT. And now I am old enough to really understand the deeper story and not just go for the special effects and what not. (or be distracted by a bra-less Princess Leia running down the hallway of the Deathstar... oh oh and the slave outfit ? My wife WILL wear the slave outfit, yessssssss she will. :twisted:

(enter the background porn music with a Star Wars flav to it)

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I agree, Knightt. I just finished The Force Unleashed and liked the story. I wish they would do more games like that and the "Old Republic" would be a great setting for such a game. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a MMORPG.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Heath wrote:I agree, Knightt. I just finished The Force Unleashed and liked the story. I wish they would do more games like that and the "Old Republic" would be a great setting for such a game. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a MMORPG.
Instead of too much coffee, we now have "Too many players".

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Heath wrote:I agree, Knightt. I just finished The Force Unleashed and liked the story. I wish they would do more games like that and the "Old Republic" would be a great setting for such a game. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a MMORPG.
I am thinking about picking that back up for the 360, geez the game is so cheap now. I went through a weird phase and was tossing out games left and right. Was it really that long ago that the game came out or did it tank ?

I just picked up Bionic Commando and I tell ya, I am having difficulties with general gameplay. I mean the bionic arm is supposed to 'help' right ? hehe

But I was VERY excited to play The Force Unleashed but for some reason it fell short of my expectations at the time.

I wish this new SW game would come out for the 360 or PS3 in a single player version/multiplayer version because the concept is very intriguing. Just limiting it to a MMORPG IMO is not very smart. BUT it certainly is trying to appeal to a specific audience.