Gamer cards Xbox 360

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

JohnnyRnR wrote:Of course C-Lo can translate! :P I personally blame Sony. Once Microsoft saw what they were getting away with providing for $50, they felt like cheap little hoo-ers. I've still never paid more than $35 for live (usually $30/year), so if the discounted cards wind up being $40, so be it. I don't like it, but I feel like I get my money's worth. At that price it's 3.33/month. More than reasonable. And if the upcoming ESPN stuff is half as neat as Last FM or Netflix streaming, even better for those who care (not me).
Which discount cards are you referring to ? I need to get me some of those as I am paying full price.

:thumb:

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Notched up about a thousand points in the last week or two. Whoop Whoop!

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Knightt wrote:
JohnnyRnR wrote:Of course C-Lo can translate! :P I personally blame Sony. Once Microsoft saw what they were getting away with providing for $50, they felt like cheap little hoo-ers. I've still never paid more than $35 for live (usually $30/year), so if the discounted cards wind up being $40, so be it. I don't like it, but I feel like I get my money's worth. At that price it's 3.33/month. More than reasonable. And if the upcoming ESPN stuff is half as neat as Last FM or Netflix streaming, even better for those who care (not me).
Which discount cards are you referring to ? I need to get me some of those as I am paying full price.

You can nearly always get them on amazon for $40, sometimes as low as $30. cheapassgamer.com is a killer site to monitor for video game deals (I usually post ones that seem extra good on here, if I see them there)

aggr1103
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by aggr1103 »

I have a 360 but I mainly use it as a media center. Netflix streaming has been the most awesome thing since sliced bread.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/14/year- ... em-for-30/

$30/year Live renewal. Jump maggots!

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

JohnnyRnR wrote:
Knightt wrote:

You can nearly always get them on amazon for $40, sometimes as low as $30. cheapassgamer.com is a killer site to monitor for video game deals (I usually post ones that seem extra good on here, if I see them there)
I have not been able to find any decent deals so I went with the 'family gold plan'. I went ahead and picked up FOUR memberships for the price of TWO. Renewed mine, my son's, my daughter's and was able to give one to my son's friend who recently moved to Florida so that they can still webcam chat and stay in touch.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

The family gold is really not a bad deal at all (if you trusted people with your password, it would be very easy to 'split' one with friends). Wal-Mart seems to have a nice deal at the moment. $80 for a year of Live plus a game (not crap either, Halo: Reach is among the options)

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

With the family plan, I needed my kids username and password then added them to my family plan. Then they logged back into their 360s and recovered their gamertags. They can rock and roll on them... well they can rock and roll as far as however much I let them rock and roll as I have control over the types of movies they can watch, the game ratings of games they can play... I could even set up how many hours a day they can play or none at all.

"I haaavvvvvvvvve the POWER."

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

:bump:

What happened to these? They don't seem to work now. Any ideas Knightt?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

From mygamercard.net.

A Moment of Silence for MyGamerCard: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dear Xbox Community,

First, thank you for visiting MyGamerCard. I apologize in advance if this turns out to be long or disjointed, or if things don't even make sense or seem relevant; there are a number of things I want to say, much of which I'm not even sure how to say, and even more that I will likely forget to say and will have to add in later.

For over five years, MGC has served the Xbox Community in ways that I had never imagined. What started as a "test of concept" for a few Xbox.com forum users led to a rollercoaster ride that has been one of my life's greatest adventures.

When I started working on the code that would eventually become the heart of MGC, I certainly did not imagine that nearly five million unique GamerTags would end up using it. Nor could I ever fathom that the handful of requests that saturated my home cable modem (and kept me from playing Halo 2!) would eventually require five servers to handle the load of thirteen million daily requests!

I don't share these numbers just for show: to me, they're testaments. Testaments that such a service was useful to the Xbox Community - even needed, and worth nurturing and investing in. I wasn't in it for fame or money, I was doing it because I loved the challenge, the learning experience. Of course the recognition felt great, but mostly because it reinforced that I had created something beyond myself, something I was giving others.

Plus I got to play with fun datapoints, and show my love for programming and gaming at the same time! It was easy to work with a company who recognized, embraced, and respected the concept of community involvement in building a strong and loyal customer base. A true symbiotic relationship that benefitted both parties.

However, in the past few years, that love for community has been lost by Microsoft. The closure of customer-to-company community-centric interfaces (that weren't tech support (no disrespect towards the awesome @XboxSupport!)) was a huge blow for Xbox fans. Especially those who really felt like they had a connection to the company they were spending their disposable income on. Similarly, the Xbox Community Developer Program - the program that was essentially created for MyGamerCard and a select few similarly broad-minded community projects - stagnated, with extremely few updates or new data features (despite constant requests), and waning communication as Xbox was not allocating any time to the program.

To make matters worse, while most of us who insisted on playing by the rules (Terms of Use) of the XCDP, others were showing their lack of respect and selfishness by setting up 'screen scraping' mechanisms to gather additional data from the Xbox website that are otherwise unavailable to us. If you've ever been to Xbox.com and noticed how slow it is - they are the reason why. These sites - some of them for-profit corporations - benefit from having the type of information that the rest of us had been asking for, which quickly started eating away at our traffic. Repeated discussions with Microsoft regarding this issue have gone largely unacknowledged (and certainly un-actioned) by anyone beyond my initial contact.

Eventually, the rise of these websites, coupled with the declining advertising ecosystem, pushed my out-of-pocket expenses upwards as advertising alone couldn't maintain the (quite modest, comparatively) monthly hosting fees. Eventually, the decision had to be made to take down the site. It wasn't (and still isn't) a decision I've made lightly; proof of that is the simple fact that I've been running half of my monthly costs out-of-pocket for over a year now. But despite the sadness of having to shut down this part and chapter of my life, there's a part of me is a little relieved that there's a set 'closure' to all of it, rather than infinite abandonment.

But it hasn't been all bad! In fact, as I mentioned, it's been one of the greatest parts of my life so far. I've been able to make wonderful friendships and business acquantances with community members, Xbox Employees, and industry workers. The technical experience I've learned about programming, database design, system architecture and scalability, community management, public relations, advertising (I could go on).... all of that has been invaluable and much of it not easily taught by a book or online. I have gained jobs from that experience, and I've lost those same jobs when my loyalty to MGC came before the tasks I was hired to do. However, I'm currently in a job that I would like to hold onto (assuming my experience doesn't qualify me for any game-industry jobs, which I would certainly consider!), and I simply don't have the resources to maintain the site or bring it back to a respectable state where it could be self-sustainable.

I'm incredibly proud of how far MyGamerCard went, and the status it obtained in the gaming community. While in 'normal' terms five years isn't all that long, as far as the Internet goes, that's essentially a lifetime. QuantCast currently measures MyGamerCard at a rank just under 15,000. Out of nearly 200 million websites on the Internet. I'd consider that an Achievement (Unlocked).

Is this the last you'll hear from me? One can never say. Obviously I'll still be around personally, whether it be Xbox Live (Morgon), Twitter (@Morgon), or via email (see the bottom of the page). But I still have a number of project ideas floating around in my head, including some non-Xbox related things, so perhaps I'll hit on something that's a fraction of the success that MyGamerCard has been.

Thank you again for your praises, suggestions, and criticisms; awards, interviews and invites; and Tweets, Friend Requests, emails, and posts. But most of all, thank you for being a part of MyGamerCard!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

From mygamercard.net.

A Moment of Silence for MyGamerCard: :cry: :cry: :cry:
MyGamerCard wrote:
Dear Xbox Community,

First, thank you for visiting MyGamerCard. I apologize in advance if this turns out to be long or disjointed, or if things don't even make sense or seem relevant; there are a number of things I want to say, much of which I'm not even sure how to say, and even more that I will likely forget to say and will have to add in later.

For over five years, MGC has served the Xbox Community in ways that I had never imagined. What started as a "test of concept" for a few Xbox.com forum users led to a rollercoaster ride that has been one of my life's greatest adventures.

When I started working on the code that would eventually become the heart of MGC, I certainly did not imagine that nearly five million unique GamerTags would end up using it. Nor could I ever fathom that the handful of requests that saturated my home cable modem (and kept me from playing Halo 2!) would eventually require five servers to handle the load of thirteen million daily requests!

I don't share these numbers just for show: to me, they're testaments. Testaments that such a service was useful to the Xbox Community - even needed, and worth nurturing and investing in. I wasn't in it for fame or money, I was doing it because I loved the challenge, the learning experience. Of course the recognition felt great, but mostly because it reinforced that I had created something beyond myself, something I was giving others.

Plus I got to play with fun datapoints, and show my love for programming and gaming at the same time! It was easy to work with a company who recognized, embraced, and respected the concept of community involvement in building a strong and loyal customer base. A true symbiotic relationship that benefitted both parties.

However, in the past few years, that love for community has been lost by Microsoft. The closure of customer-to-company community-centric interfaces (that weren't tech support (no disrespect towards the awesome @XboxSupport!)) was a huge blow for Xbox fans. Especially those who really felt like they had a connection to the company they were spending their disposable income on. Similarly, the Xbox Community Developer Program - the program that was essentially created for MyGamerCard and a select few similarly broad-minded community projects - stagnated, with extremely few updates or new data features (despite constant requests), and waning communication as Xbox was not allocating any time to the program.

To make matters worse, while most of us who insisted on playing by the rules (Terms of Use) of the XCDP, others were showing their lack of respect and selfishness by setting up 'screen scraping' mechanisms to gather additional data from the Xbox website that are otherwise unavailable to us. If you've ever been to Xbox.com and noticed how slow it is - they are the reason why. These sites - some of them for-profit corporations - benefit from having the type of information that the rest of us had been asking for, which quickly started eating away at our traffic. Repeated discussions with Microsoft regarding this issue have gone largely unacknowledged (and certainly un-actioned) by anyone beyond my initial contact.

Eventually, the rise of these websites, coupled with the declining advertising ecosystem, pushed my out-of-pocket expenses upwards as advertising alone couldn't maintain the (quite modest, comparatively) monthly hosting fees. Eventually, the decision had to be made to take down the site. It wasn't (and still isn't) a decision I've made lightly; proof of that is the simple fact that I've been running half of my monthly costs out-of-pocket for over a year now. But despite the sadness of having to shut down this part and chapter of my life, there's a part of me is a little relieved that there's a set 'closure' to all of it, rather than infinite abandonment.

But it hasn't been all bad! In fact, as I mentioned, it's been one of the greatest parts of my life so far. I've been able to make wonderful friendships and business acquantances with community members, Xbox Employees, and industry workers. The technical experience I've learned about programming, database design, system architecture and scalability, community management, public relations, advertising (I could go on).... all of that has been invaluable and much of it not easily taught by a book or online. I have gained jobs from that experience, and I've lost those same jobs when my loyalty to MGC came before the tasks I was hired to do. However, I'm currently in a job that I would like to hold onto (assuming my experience doesn't qualify me for any game-industry jobs, which I would certainly consider!), and I simply don't have the resources to maintain the site or bring it back to a respectable state where it could be self-sustainable.

I'm incredibly proud of how far MyGamerCard went, and the status it obtained in the gaming community. While in 'normal' terms five years isn't all that long, as far as the Internet goes, that's essentially a lifetime. QuantCast currently measures MyGamerCard at a rank just under 15,000. Out of nearly 200 million websites on the Internet. I'd consider that an Achievement (Unlocked).

Is this the last you'll hear from me? One can never say. Obviously I'll still be around personally, whether it be Xbox Live (Morgon), Twitter (@Morgon), or via email. But I still have a number of project ideas floating around in my head, including some non-Xbox related things, so perhaps I'll hit on something that's a fraction of the success that MyGamerCard has been.

Thank you again for your praises, suggestions, and criticisms; awards, interviews and invites; and Tweets, Friend Requests, emails, and posts. But most of all, thank you for being a part of MyGamerCard!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have found a new place for gamercards if there are those who wish to keep this going.

http://www.xboxlc.com/index.php?view=ma ... on=display

I do not know exactly how this is linked to accounts but just type in your gamer tag, select a style (some very nice ones are at the end of the pull down menu) and then copy/past the 'forum code' below on the same page into the forum here and it shows up like mine above.

I will experiment to ensure that this updates on a 'as new game is played' basis. The MyGamerCard site was incredibly good and had a HUGE fan base. It will be missed. Hopefully, xboxlc.com can accommodate our needs as Xbox gamers. I like the idea of being able to share with my fellow board members what games I am playing.

If anyone decides to switch over to xboxlc.com, please let us know how you like it or don't like. If there are any major reasons NOT to use this site, please let us know right away. Otherwise... enjoy.

THANK YOU MyGamerCard for what you were able to give to us. I never thought that it might go away. (shrug)

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

The site does not 'maintain' the style of your gamercard, it keeps on resetting. It generates a code attached to your gamer tag. So, when you go to the site, your card will not be there but all you have to do is go into the setup, create a new gamercard and copy the new code in order to update your gamercard here in the forum. Or go into your previous post, copy the xboxlc.com code and paste it into your new post. It will use your old format and have updated information (i.e. the 'new' Xbox games that you are playing).

I hope that this helps.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Argh thats a real shame! Will look into those other ones.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

Here's my new one.
Pretty lame that I haven't generated too many points since my last post. I got a bunch from Arkham Asylum though. I was ringin' up like a slot machine.

I just wanna know when Depluto is going to hit the 1 million mark. :?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

i'm just glad I finally got over 10K

-Brian

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

After February I will be racking up the points again. :hope:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Neat. Only 15K for me, but not too shabby.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
Re: Gamer cards Xbox 360

Post by R Daneel »

Here's a good forum thread that talks about all different types of gamer card generators?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/foru ... p?t=296857

Here's mine:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

R Daneel wrote:Here's a good forum thread that talks about all different types of gamer card generators?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/foru ... p?t=296857

Here's mine:

oh crap... xYike is you ? I see you online all the time, man.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

R Daneel
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

Yea thats me! Or my son or a neighbor kid or .... you get the idea. If it is 1am and you see someone that is me for sure.

I have a 2 year old who insists on pulling the mic boom from my headset so it is always getting lost. If someone tried to chat and I dont reply - that is why! Need to order a replacement.