Game systems and Homebrew...

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Game systems and Homebrew...

Post by etos45 »

With the recent hack of the PS3 and it's ability to play homebrew, I've kinda been sucked back in to the whole homebrew thing (mostly Wii, because all PS3 offers right now is the ability to 'backup' games). So it got me thinking who else here uses it?

I'm basically just curious what good homebrew (legitimate) is out there and what systems you use it on. I had a PSP that was always the best for that kind of thing until it met an unfortunate run in with water. Right now my favorite system for homebrew is the Wii. I've got it set up so that it'll play DVDs (why they left that feature out, I'll never know), it has a Shoutcast radio player on it (which I love), and a media player and PS1 emulator that I haven't quite gotten around to playing with yet. Any other recommendations?

I know the PS3 has a Super Nintendo emulator out now, but other than that and a file manager I haven't seen anything. I know one group is working on unlocking the OtherOS feature.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Both of my classic Xboxes are modded and running XBMC along with some emulators (MAME, NES, etc), but I haven't even thought about doing anything to the 360. I wish I could run XBMC on it!!

I might look into getting the kids a Wii for Christmas. I'll have to check out the modding/homebrew stuff.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Heath wrote:Both of my classic Xboxes are modded and running XBMC along with some emulators (MAME, NES, etc), but I haven't even thought about doing anything to the 360. I wish I could run XBMC on it!!

I might look into getting the kids a Wii for Christmas. I'll have to check out the modding/homebrew stuff.
The kids will LOVE the Wii. Hell, for that matter, you'll have plenty of fun as well.

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Well, we have enjoyed the Wii. Finally, my wife is enjoying video games. She kicks my butt at Bowling, and I kick hers at Tennis (Wii Sports).

Since I'm on satellite internet, I can't get any of the online features to work (like the Wii Shop Channel). I've installed the HomeBrew channel, the MAME, Atari 2600, NES, and SNES emulators, and WiiMC (which is a poor substitute for XBMC on the old Xbox).

I like the family gaming aspect. As a family, we enjoy Wii Sports, Wii Play, Smarty Pants, the girls (3 and 4 years old) love Wii Music, etc. But for personal, lone gaming, I'd rather play the 360 or the original Xbox.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Hmm, any idea how I can play my old PS games on my PS3???

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

IanAlexavier wrote:Hmm, any idea how I can play my old PS games on my PS3???
x2 really miss playing souledge

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

robb77 wrote:
IanAlexavier wrote:Hmm, any idea how I can play my old PS games on my PS3???
x2 really miss playing souledge
Yeah, that's pretty lame. Sony claims that not enough people want to play the older games to justify adding that option back to the system.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Your PS1 games you can play fine on the PS3. PS2 you're out of luck unless it's an old one.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

JohnnyRnR wrote:Your PS1 games you can play fine on the PS3. PS2 you're out of luck unless it's an old one.
cool

etos45

Post by etos45 »

From what I understand, someone is working on a custom firmware for the PS3 that will enable the backwards compatibility of PS1/PS2 games as well as bringing back OtherOS. I'm real interested to see how it all plays out.