Star Wars: The Force Unleased II

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Star Wars: The Force Unleased II

Post by Daniel Jackson »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asvKQOJZXcs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asvKQOJZXcs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The saga continues, but the release date has been moved back to Oct. 26. Not too bad a delay I suppose considering how long the first one was pushed back (I think it was over 6 months).

Lucas Arts says they are addressing the major drawbacks/playing issues from first game, so hopefully this one will get it right this time.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

still looking good

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Loved the first game! Looking forward to this!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Heath wrote:Loved the first game! Looking forward to this!
I enjoyed the first game, but it could have been better though. It was one of those games where you don't mind paying 20 bucks for, but not full price.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleased II

Post by IMJ »

Daniel Jackson wrote: so hopefully this one will get it right this time.
That's pretty harsh... the first game was a Star Wars game masterpiece. I know that's a super nerdy observation, but the first Force Unleashed was pretty much nothing but a great game, man.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

IMJ wrote:
That's pretty harsh... the first game was a Star Wars game masterpiece. I know that's a super nerdy observation, but the first Force Unleashed was pretty much nothing but a great game, man.
For me, it had the potential to be a great game, but it fell a little short. The story and voice acting were top notch though. The main character in the game played Doomsday on Smallville a couple of seasons ago, very good actor.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Daniel Jackson wrote:For me, it had the potential to be a great game, but it fell a little short. The story and voice acting were top notch though. The main character in the game played Doomsday on Smallville a couple of seasons ago, very good actor.
Yeah, he also had a small role in an episode of Dark Angel and also in the Mist with Tom Jane. I was surprised to see him recreated so perfectly for Star Wars!

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I saw the Dark Horse graphic novel on the comic shop new release shelf tonight. I would have bought it right there if I hadn't Amazon'd it.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
IMJ wrote:
For me, it had the potential to be a great game, but it fell a little short. The story and voice acting were top notch though. The main character in the game played Doomsday on Smallville a couple of seasons ago, very good actor.
I had HIGH hopes for the game and had fun with it... for a while. But the last gen graphics (as shown in the video above) and fixed here:

<object id="vid_4c50d452aeaed848a5da04cc" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/06/08/fo ... /></object>
was something I found incredibly lacking for a LucasArts production. It had a LONG way to go to being 'up to par'... I found it, childlike in many ways.

Now having seen the trailers and gameplay videos for The Force Unleashed II... I think we will finally see some of the Star Wars magic that fans have come to expect throughout the years. Can't wait... October is going to be a heavy month. :thumb:

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Knightt wrote:But the last gen graphics (as shown in the video above) and fixed here
:?

You guys are harsh... I thought the first Unleashed was a great looking, very smooth game.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

This doesn't excite me. Lucas did it, folks. He killed my love for new SW material with those damn prequels. I'll just hang on to the memories of what was.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

:thumb: Looks to be a fun one!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

xodacia81 wrote:This doesn't excite me. Lucas did it, folks. He killed my love for new SW material with those damn prequels. I'll just hang on to the memories of what was.
I can't say as I blame you, but the story for the first game is actually pretty good, all things considered. Not sure if this one will pan out though.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

IMJ wrote:
Knightt wrote:But the last gen graphics (as shown in the video above) and fixed here

You guys are harsh... I thought the first Unleashed was a great looking, very smooth game.
The graphics for the Wii version were pretty good, but I don't really know about the other systems.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
IMJ wrote:

The graphics for the Wii version were pretty good, but I don't really know about the other systems.
I thought the PS3 version looked great.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

The Xbox 360 was VERY bland and to me looked last gen graphics. The cut scenes looked pretty good though. I am not saying I don't play it but I don't get a huge thrill like when I played Jedi Academy back in the day.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

the first one was a great game really looking forward to this one

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I've played the demo on the 360 and the PS3.... I will be waiting for this one on the used rack. Mind you, it's good but I can wait on this one.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Knightt wrote:I've played the demo on the 360 and the PS3.... I will be waiting for this one on the used rack. Mind you, it's good but I can wait on this one.
That's a shame, I was hoping they would step things up this time around.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Knightt wrote:I've played the demo on the 360 and the PS3.... I will be waiting for this one on the used rack. Mind you, it's good but I can wait on this one.
I haven't played it yet myself, but all of the gamers at my job are saying it's great. Wild.

:D

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

IMJ wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
I haven't played it yet myself, but all of the gamers at my job are saying it's great. Wild.

:D
And I am getting the opposite at my job site... polished game but more of the same, nothing ground breaking. Don't get me wrong, it will be fun but fun to be had when not forking over $65 for it new. One thing I dont like about it is the whole 'combo' thing... if you get carried away Starkiller will flail away in an opposite direction than where the enemy is because you added a couple energetic X button pushes. I think each press should execute one swipe otherwise you get scripted special moves wailing on a wall or thing air. You can even see the triggered events which just puts this as a button combo masher on rails with the possibilitie to venture off the beaten path (to an extent - if not you just run into an invisible wall that prevents you from going that way).

I can't wait to play it for $35-$40... I don't think this will break the mold like Knight's of the Old Republic did back in the day. And I thought Jedi Academy and it's predecessor really made history back in the day. At least this one is better than Iron Man 2... :twisted:

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Knightt wrote:I can't wait to play it for $35-$40... I don't think this will break the mold like Knight's of the Old Republic did back in the day. And I thought Jedi Academy and it's predecessor really made history back in the day. At least this one is better than Iron Man 2... :twisted:
Most games are better than Iron Man 2.....

I've got this demo queued, but for the time being I'm playing around with the new discless Netflix. :thumb:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Anyone buy the game yet?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Anyone buy the game yet?
I did.... it's a lot of fun. I picked up the Limited Edition version with the flash drive and the steelbook to compliment the Ultimate Sith Edition of the first game.

The graphics and backgrounds are great, and they really stepped up the cut scene graphics - in many ways they are the quality of a CGi Feature Film! The game play is standard Force Unleashed fare, although the addition of the Jedi Mind Trick and a lot of new crystals is pretty cool.

The story so far is pretty ho-hum, and whereas the first story was a canon compliment to the Star Wars Saga, this one is sort of shoe-horned in as an excuse to make a sequel.

That's all I've got until I play more of it, but I need to finish Castlevania LOS before I come back to SW TFU II.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

IMJ wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Anyone buy the game yet?
I did.... it's a lot of fun. I picked up the Limited Edition version with the flash drive and the steelbook to compliment the Ultimate Sith Edition of the first game.

The graphics and backgrounds are great, and they really stepped up the cut scene graphics - in many ways they are the quality of a CGi Feature Film! The game play is standard Force Unleashed fare, although the addition of the Jedi Mind Trick and a lot of new crystals is pretty cool.

The story so far is pretty ho-hum, and whereas the first story was a canon compliment to the Star Wars Saga, this one is sort of shoe-horned in as an excuse to make a sequel.

That's all I've got until I play more of it, but I need to finish Castlevania LOS before I come back to SW TFU II.
Thanks for the review.