The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Diablo 1

Post by Heath »

I recently dug out the original Diablo and installed it on my son's computer. As I figured, he really likes it. But, he wants to play over the network with me. Unfortunately, it uses the IPX protocol for network play and that protocol is not supported in Vista/7. Does anybody know of a way we could play this together over the home network?

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I would check to see if the newer version of Diablo 1 they are still selling now have that feature. The did that with Warcraft 2.

Also, if you go up to Diablo II, I think you can do that without using battle.net - but you can certainly do it with battle.net.

If he likes Diablo, you may want to check out the "Fate" games. Single player only, and much shorter on story, but generally the same gameplay.

Heath

Post by Heath »

There's a newer version of Diablo 1? I haven't seen such a thing. I did see the Diablo Battlechest, but that's only Diablo 2 and an expansion. Where can I find the newer version of Diablo 1?

I'll check into Fate.

booted
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: Diablo 1

Post by booted »

Heath wrote:I recently dug out the original Diablo and installed it on my son's computer. As I figured, he really likes it. But, he wants to play over the network with me. Unfortunately, it uses the IPX protocol for network play and that protocol is not supported in Vista/7. Does anybody know of a way we could play this together over the home network?
You can run http://virtualboximages.com/ with an image of WinXP. It's a lot of work to do just to play an old game like that.

I am uber nerd when it comes to Diablo series, you'd really be better off playing Diablo 2. Play over battle.net and if my characters still exist, I can give you godly gear.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Why specifically did you want 1? Surely 2 will be dirt cheap to get 2 copies of and then you can just LAN or Battle.net.

Heath

Post by Heath »

I already have 1. Didn't want to buy 2.

Playing over the internet is out of the question since I'm on satellite instead of cable/DSL. (It's not the speed that hurts, it's the bandwidth rationing. Online gaming fills up your allotted quota very fast.)

I recall playing 2 back when it first came out and just not liking it as much as 1.

I use a VM to play it on Linux. On my son's computer I copied the CD to an ISO file, created a virtual CD drive and mounted that ISO, and fiddled with the compatibility settings and eventually got it to run on Win7 for him. So we can both play. The problem is playing over the local network. The game uses IPX which is not supported in Win7. Since the host OS doesn't support IPX, using a VM doesn't help. And he doesn't want to run XP. I haven't even investigated IPX support in Linux, but I'm sure it is there.