New PC!

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
New PC!

Post by ian_house »

I know some of you are PC guys so thought I'd let you guys see what I've got my eye on. I wanted a cheapish gaming PC, mainly so I could play DC Online:

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Gallant-A ... 94p766.htm

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD USB3
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 4GB)
Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: NEW! 400W Xigmatek
Warranty: 3 Year Bronze Warranty

Let me know what you think!

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

pretty cool. The AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition are very overclockable as well

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

the new amd stuff is a great price for sure

nice vid card as well :thumb:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

The only problem is I can't order it until my credit card arrives... I hate waiting! :!: :lol:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am SO done with PC... update driver here, need a better graphics card there, need even MORE ran now, will need a bigger hard drive later. And the fact that you need more anti-virus protection than ever just has me frustrated.

Like now, I am SURE that I bought this beast with a 150 gig hard drive (this is a years old PC mind you) and today it is giving me errors that there is a low disc space on my 75 gig hard drive, hmmm I am missing 75 gigs now ?)

The next PC that I get will have NO music on it, NO games and NO pics. I will store everything on external hard drives and leave the operating system clean and running quickly.

Glad for yer new PC dude, they CAN be a lot of fun but they are like a beautiful woman... high maintenance.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

:lol: I like the analogy. I've not had a quality PC for a LONG time so this will let me catch up on all of the PC exclusives of the last decade! Medieveal Total War, Civilisation etc. as well as some MMO's which just don't work on consoles.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Knightt wrote:I am SO done with PC... update driver here, need a better graphics card there, need even MORE ran now, will need a bigger hard drive later. And the fact that you need more anti-virus protection than ever just has me frustrated.

Like now, I am SURE that I bought this beast with a 150 gig hard drive (this is a years old PC mind you) and today it is giving me errors that there is a low disc space on my 75 gig hard drive, hmmm I am missing 75 gigs now ?)

The next PC that I get will have NO music on it, NO games and NO pics. I will store everything on external hard drives and leave the operating system clean and running quickly.

Glad for yer new PC dude, they CAN be a lot of fun but they are like a beautiful woman... high maintenance.
There is a solution to all your problems, my friend! It's called Kubuntu! A Linux Derivative.

Also, i here that video card makers are making their products more Linux friendly. Linux will soon be high intensity gamer ready! :clap:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

steverino wrote:
Knightt wrote:I am SO done with PC... update driver here, need a better graphics card there, need even MORE ran now, will need a bigger hard drive later. And the fact that you need more anti-virus protection than ever just has me frustrated.

There is a solution to all your problems, my friend! It's called Kubuntu! A Linux Derivative.

Also, i here that video card makers are making their products more Linux friendly. Linux will soon be high intensity gamer ready! :clap:
Aren't most games incompatible with Linux? (I don't know anything about this so might well be talking crap!)

steverino

Post by steverino »

ian_house wrote:
steverino wrote:

Aren't most games incompatible with Linux? (I don't know anything about this so might well be talking crap!)
No, you're not talking crap. Most games are difficult to use with linux as far as I know. I'm just crossing my fingers that changes in the near future.

Anyways, why play games on a computer when you can get a great console and play in HD! What are the advantages of playing on a PC? Just curious.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Linux is my anti-virus.

I am not a gamer so that is not an issue for me.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

I switched to a sata pair of 500 gbs HDD holy smokes it flys now

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

steverino wrote:
ian_house wrote:
steverino wrote:

No, you're not talking crap. Most games are difficult to use with linux as far as I know. I'm just crossing my fingers that changes in the near future.

Anyways, why play games on a computer when you can get a great console and play in HD! What are the advantages of playing on a PC? Just curious.
You can HD game with a PC, which is one of the main attractions as I can also use it as a media center. MMO's and RTS's are the main gaming appeal for me for the PC, you just can get quality versions on consoles. It's been too long since I could play any of the Total War series and DC online is far too tempting. I've heard the PS3 version is having a torrid time of updates and crashes.

steverino

Post by steverino »

ian_house wrote:
steverino wrote:
ian_house wrote:
steverino wrote:

You can HD game with a PC, which is one of the main attractions as I can also use it as a media center. MMO's and RTS's are the main gaming appeal for me for the PC, you just can get quality versions on consoles. It's been too long since I could play any of the Total War series and DC online is far too tempting. I've heard the PS3 version is having a torrid time of updates and crashes.
Then by all means, enjoy! Sounds like you've got a heck of a gaming thing going on! :headbang: I had now idea how awesome a computer gaming system could be. Worth every penny if you ask me!

I get too addicted to games. That's probably why I avoid them so much. Linux is my cup of tea. I have a work computer and I like just working with it and not having those Windows problems I've always managed to get. Heck, you can even put a small Linux partition in a windows computer and have the best of both worlds. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

It's arrived! EXCITEMENT!!!!! 2 Hours more work then home to get it set up and then into the DCU I will go.

It was nice knowing you all bye :lol:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

have fun see ya next year

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

ian_house wrote:It's arrived! EXCITEMENT!!!!! 2 Hours more work then home to get it set up and then into the DCU I will go.

It was nice knowing you all bye :lol:
I will be getting a new PC here soon as well as a power spike trashed the old PC. All of the info was saved and there was no virus to be found on any of the drives (internal or external). Now just to purchase a tower system and get back on the road.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Thats a good point. Going to grab a circuit breaker extension to plug it into next time I'm out. Don't want that happening to a new PC.