scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

about time :D

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

superman-prime wrote:about time :D
Not sure if I'm going back to be fair. Didn't miss it at all. May resubscribe in a few months when there will be more content.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/psn- ... s-offline/

PSN has been shut down again. WOW. Amazing that a company like Sony is incapable of designing a more-secure system.

Wonder how many PS3 popped up on eBay with the intent of buying a 360? :hm:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

david_albuq wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/psn- ... s-offline/

PSN has been shut down again. WOW. Amazing that a company like Sony is incapable of designing a more-secure system.

According to some news sources quite alot.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20062596-17.html

And even with games:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44333/Xbox-cl ... rink-sales

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

from the article wrote: If you legitimately forget your password and need to reset it, previously all you had to do was type in your e-mail address and date of birth, then choose a delightfully cunning new password. Sounds good? The problem is that if you were a PSN member before the hack then both your e-mail address and your date of birth (plus a lot of other frightening stuff) is known to the hackers. So, whoever has the millions of rows of data that were exposed could, in theory, re-exploit any account.
It's hard to believe that no one at Sony thought of this before putting the network back up. Sony needs to clean house with those who overlooked this and hire some people with common sense.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:

from the article wrote: If you legitimately forget your password and need to reset it, previously all you had to do was type in your e-mail address and date of birth, then choose a delightfully cunning new password. Sounds good? The problem is that if you were a PSN member before the hack then both your e-mail address and your date of birth (plus a lot of other frightening stuff) is known to the hackers. So, whoever has the millions of rows of data that were exposed could, in theory, re-exploit any account.
It's hard to believe that no one at Sony thought of this before putting the network back up. Sony needs to clean house with those who overlooked this and hire some people with common sense.
The thing is, that even if the hackers do know your email address and date of birth, that wasn't enough for the exploit. You'd have to know how to log into their email in order to click the link to reset the password. If you email password is different than your PSN password you were okay there...

The problem was that there was an exploit you could run with the PlayStation website that would allow you to acquire the token key sent in the link to your email that allowed you to reset the password.

Here's a link to the site that talks about how to do the exploit (now that you can't, because PS has shut the site down):

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/psn-hack ... sed-86968/

I just can't believe that it took this long for all of these security holes to be exploited...

jridd28
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jridd28 »

I didnt have any problems! I've been playing since monday! Qriocity works fine, Netflix works fine, the Playstation Store is still under maintenance but that was a given until at least 5-31!

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

jridd28 wrote:I didnt have any problems! I've been playing since monday! Qriocity works fine, Netflix works fine, the Playstation Store is still under maintenance but that was a given until at least 5-31!
I played a bit last night but Ive been able to get into Netflix this entire time, although it kept trying to have me sign in, I really didnt need to. I just waited for Netflix to load up and then start a movie :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

THe PS Store is back up online.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

the welcome back bonus id up

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am almost finished downloading my two PS3 games, two PSP games and a free HD movie. My PlaystationPlus+ is already working but I am NOT doing any monetary or account transactions. I will just take my free $#it and leave.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Knightt wrote:I am almost finished downloading my two PS3 games, two PSP games and a free HD movie. My PlaystationPlus+ is already working but I am NOT doing any monetary or account transactions. I will just take my free $#it and leave.
Ditto... no money from me. The cool thing is that apparently I had two PSN accounts so I actually got 4 PS3 games, and 4 PSP games. I haven't looked into the movies or the PlaystationPlus yet... or the PS Home downloads, weren't there supposed to be some of those?

Anyways, between the freebies, the free year of credit monitoring, and the fact that the only card I had on file was cut off many years ago... yeah... I'm pretty okay with this deal. :D

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Yes, there are 100 free items to download as well as two houses and a couple of games. As of last night I could not acces any of it but in my 'messages', I had a note that read I had a boatload of 'free tchizz' available in my wardrobe. I could not access then either and today I am just busy doing stupid $#it in LBP and WipeoutHD.

It is ok that Sony is offering some fre stuff but I remain unimpressed as IMO all the free media was on its way out anyways. I am far from a PS3 fan anyways. I mean, I am am glad to have been able to afford one but if I had to choose, there would BE not choice... The Xbox 360 would win and I would just go buy an expensive blu ray player elsewhere.

I AM psyched about you getting double prIzes though.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Don't mistake, I am no PS3 fan... but considering I lost nothing and gained free stuff (however outdated it is) is a good thing in my book. My system of choice right now is the OnLive MicroConsole, though the Xbox 360 is something I will always flock to for games I already own / exclusives. PS3 is an awesome bluray player, and that is how I've always seen it since day one. The fact is, thanks to it's online updates, it will always be current with whatever bluray throws our way. As far as a gaming system... it's okay. Not great, but not the worst. I'd rather play my PS3 than my Wii... :D

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I hate to admit it but I bought the PS3 to play Resistance and Lair... other games that came along such as iNfamous, Heavenly Sword and other PS3 exclusives to include PSN faves like Stardust HD, Trine and the PixelJunk series of games were what I was gravitating towards.

System exclusive games come and go and are nice but nothing to make me lean towards PS3. I noticed many games playing at 720p on the PS3 while the 360 plays at 1080p (with what I imagine to be up-scaled on some games).