Nintendo unveils the Wii U system

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Nintendo unveils the Wii U system

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Nintendo shows off a prototype gaming system called Wii U

Not sure if I like this idea or not. Guess I'll have to wait and see it in action.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Eh. :?

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e3qaPg_keg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e3qaPg_keg?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

That part where the dude was flicking throwing stars off the tablet looked pretty cool. I want to see something about the new system, though.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Not sure if i like it but my mom in her late 50's who is a big gamer already wants one.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I was really hoping to see some previews of the high end games they are supposedly working on.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Lordy i hope my eldest doesnt see this, he may only be coming up for 8, but already has a healthy appetite for this stuff.

:|

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

It looks like it's basically an ipad/controller done in nintendo style with buttons.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

vikingspawn wrote:It looks like it's basically an ipad/controller done in nintendo style with buttons.
I noticed a lot of other people are commenting about that as well. One thing is for sure, you wouldn't want to accidentally drop this one. It would probably cost a hundred bucks to replace it.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

not to impressed with the prototype so far.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Oh no... I think I like it.... I know that after a week I won't use it anymore, but for now I think I like it... alot. :D

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Not sure whether I'm interested but still looks very cool. As said those controls will be mega expensive.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Some of the features seem neat, but not really necessary (at least to me). The ability to switch the game to your controller screen and let someone else watch TV is not really something that I would ever need. Personally, I would just shut the game off and play later rather than continue to play on a tiny screen. Also, the size of the new console has me a bit concerned as well (looks like a Wii with rounded corners). To me, this indicates no hard drive capability and once again limits the graphic power.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

It's more unnecessary stuff for people to spend their hard earned money on. That's just the way I see it. Unless someone gives it to me for a birthday or Christmas gift, one of these will never see the inside of my house.

And if I ever do receive one as a gift, it will soon make it's way onto an auction site... other than eBay.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

steverino wrote:It's more unnecessary stuff for people to spend their hard earned money on. That's just the way I see it. Unless someone gives it to me for a birthday or Christmas gift, one of these will never see the inside of my house.

And if I ever do receive one as a gift, it will soon make it's way onto an auction site... other than eBay.
Hahaha....gamer grinch...

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
steverino wrote:It's more unnecessary stuff for people to spend their hard earned money on. That's just the way I see it. Unless someone gives it to me for a birthday or Christmas gift, one of these will never see the inside of my house.

Hahaha....gamer grinch...
Nailed it! :lol:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Some of the features seem neat, but not really necessary (at least to me). The ability to switch the game to your controller screen and let someone else watch TV is not really something that I would ever need. Personally, I would just shut the game off and play later rather than continue to play on a tiny screen. Also, the size of the new console has me a bit concerned as well (looks like a Wii with rounded corners). To me, this indicates no hard drive capability and once again limits the graphic power.
Not sure about that. I've seen chat of hard drives and HDMI ports.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ian_house wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Some of the features seem neat, but not really necessary (at least to me). The ability to switch the game to your controller screen and let someone else watch TV is not really something that I would ever need. Personally, I would just shut the game off and play later rather than continue to play on a tiny screen. Also, the size of the new console has me a bit concerned as well (looks like a Wii with rounded corners). To me, this indicates no hard drive capability and once again limits the graphic power.
Not sure about that. I've seen chat of hard drives and HDMI ports.
I have heard that it's supposed to be HD this time and it was supposed to be better than what is out now. Everything the reviewers are saying so far seems to indicate that it's comparable to the 360 and PS3, but does not exceed and they seem a bit disappointed.

With a two year jump, they better anticipate the leap that Sony and Microsoft will be taking with their next gens. I fear that otherwise the Wii U sales will fall off a cliff in 2014. Wish they would show more stats about the unit, so far they seemed focused on the gimmicks and not much else.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

This is a "cool" way of keeping Wii sales from totally tanking while Nintendo works out a way to launch the Wii followup. I haven't looked over the comments here or dug very deep, but it seems this works with most games out now and future games will no doubt incorporate it rather uniquely. I'm intrigued but not overly impressed.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii- ... han-ps3-a/

Looks like the GPU will be more-powerful than both the 360 and the PS3. That is until the PS4 and the 360 v2 come out in a couple years and seriously leap-frog the Wii U.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

david_albuq wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii- ... han-ps3-a/

Looks like the GPU will be more-powerful than both the 360 and the PS3. That is until the PS4 and the 360 v2 come out in a couple years and seriously leap-frog the Wii U.
I hope they are able to get a lot more top tier third party games this time around.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:

I hope they are able to get a lot more top tier third party games this time around.
The question is indeed what sort of support they will have for this thing. Raw power is nice, but they need solid shooters, good sports and racing, some rpg's and honest to god 1st party games that DO NOT SUCK.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

xodacia81 wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

The question is indeed what sort of support they will have for this thing. Raw power is nice, but they need solid shooters, good sports and racing, some rpg's and honest to god 1st party games that DO NOT SUCK.
It sounds like Nintendo recognizes that they need to win back the hardcore gamers, so at least that's a good sign. Now whether or not they can pull it off, remains to be seen.

toddyboy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by toddyboy »

i'm going to pass. i no longer need to have all the consoles. two are enough.

i'm afraid the wii will be my last nintendo. dare i say i'm too old, and too young for nintendo at the same time.