Will Nintendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: Will Nintendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Post by betterthanezra »

etos45 wrote:That last post reminds me... look at Virtual Boy. That thing was a HUGE flop! If Nintendo could survive that thing, they can survive anything! :D I do agree that Nintendo needs to step up their game with console technology. They fell behind with N64 and just never seemed to catch back up. I guess it doesn't seem to be hurting them any, though... :?
But that was at a time when they didn't produce a massive amount of stock out of the gate. Everyone expected shortages of consoles at the time and thought nothing of waiting until they received more. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

etos45 wrote:...I guess it doesn't seem to be hurting them any, though... :?
But the problem is that it is hurting them. Nintendo's stock is free-falling. Stockeholders don't really care how many DS units were sold in the last five years. In high-stakes business, it's about the here and now. It's about the opening and closing on the NASDAQ.

Nintendo shareholders are clamoring for results and they are a demanding and vocal group. Shareholders want iOS games, which makes me think the president won't be around too much longer.

I don't even think it has to be a complete port of Mario 64 or whatever. It can just be a Mario game specifically designed for the iPhone or the iPad or a Droid. I would be willing to wager that there are a lot of old-school gamers who would be willing to plop down $2.99 for a real, Mario-branded iOS game.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

betterthanezra wrote:
etos45 wrote:That last post reminds me... look at Virtual Boy. That thing was a HUGE flop! If Nintendo could survive that thing, they can survive anything! :D I do agree that Nintendo needs to step up their game with console technology. They fell behind with N64 and just never seemed to catch back up. I guess it doesn't seem to be hurting them any, though... :?
But that was at a time when they didn't produce a massive amount of stock out of the gate. Everyone expected shortages of consoles at the time and thought nothing of waiting until they received more. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

-Brian
Last I checked, all stock is free falling. Don't judge a company solely on stock or else almost everyone on the stock market is collapsing. The fact is that Nintendo isn't doing great, but they have done worse in the past. So I don't think this is the end of Nintendo, it's just another stumbling block. Handhelds still don't matter, IMHO.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

david_albuq wrote:
etos45 wrote:...I guess it doesn't seem to be hurting them any, though... :?
But the problem is that it is hurting them. Nintendo's stock is free-falling. Stockeholders don't really care how many DS units were sold in the last five years. In high-stakes business, it's about the here and now. It's about the opening and closing on the NASDAQ.

Nintendo shareholders are clamoring for results and they are a demanding and vocal group. Shareholders want iOS games, which makes me think the president won't be around too much longer.

I don't even think it has to be a complete port of Mario 64 or whatever. It can just be a Mario game specifically designed for the iPhone or the iPad or a Droid. I would be willing to wager that there are a lot of old-school gamers who would be willing to plop down $2.99 for a real, Mario-branded iOS game.
Shareholders in Nintendo can "demand" iOS games until the cows come home... it ain't gonna happen. Nintendo will never (unless forced like Sega), ever produce third party games. I agree with the sentiment that the refusal to go third party might be exactly what is saving Nintendo. The fact is, they have survived failures in the past and 3-Ds might be included as a failure in the future, but Nintendo still moves consoles and I believe that that is where there future will always be. Handhelds are (and will always be) a gimmick to me. Until free online service is made available, I don't see handhelds ever becoming a major market share.

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

Nintendo posts near BILLION dollar loss for first half of fiscal year.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/27/edito ... came-to-m/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DANG, that's not chump change.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Ouch, I knew their sales were going down, but man...that's a lot $$$. Until the new console is released, I don't see things picking up dramatically for them either.