David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Will Nintendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Post by David_Cody »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/13/ninte ... -showcase/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nintendo's stock continues to fall. It fell 5% yesterday and 84% overall since its high in 2007. If Nintendo continues its product development as it has done in the last three years, I don't think so.

Case in point, the 3DS. Are you kidding me, Nintendo? A semi-marginally better handheld system from the DS Lite with a gimicky 3D interface. Sure, Zelda and RE5 looks good, but that's about the only two games and the system has been out three months now. AND to top it off, the system costs more money (at least initially) and the games are more expensive.

Contrast that with iOS devices. Most "gamers" (even teenage ones) prefer to walk around with one device. The casual gamer, which I feel comprises the lion's share of this demographic...can get their quick 'n dirty game fix with a .99 iOS game. Case in point, Angry Birds.

It remains to be seen if Sony's new handheld gaming phone will be successful, but I know I'd probably buy that before a 3DS. At least then I'd have a fully-functional phone and a handheld that had decent hardware specs.

It's a different world now. Nintendo had better change its way of thinking or it'll be like Montgomery Wards and Circuit City. I personally think that Nintendo should be offering games on iOS devices. That could be their saving grace.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!
Re: Will Ninendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Post by comicsyte95 »

My mom who is a big gamer thinks exactly like you instead of asking for a 3DS for her birthday she asked for an Archos tablet like mine.If nintendo offered game apps cheap they probably would do better then making a portable system every year or 2 that really isnt that cool.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

As long as they have Mario (and some of their other characters) they can find a way to survive.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Elveen wrote:As long as they have Mario (and some of their other characters) they can find a way to survive.
I think the same thing. They've faltered - as of late, especially. But a year before the release of the Wii, people thought the same thing.

The Wii saved Nintendo (again) and innovation like this can probably keep the company going.

People thought that console games were dead before Nintendo systems - and it revitalized the industry. It re-revitalized itself with the Wii - and will more than likely do the same, again.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I know I'm probably one of the only ones, but I don't think Nintendo has put out a good system since Super Nintendo. When they started with the gimmicky controllers on N64, I completely lost interest. Not to mention the graphics were nowhere near as good as PlayStation. GameCube wasn't much better. The Wii was a great idea when it came out, but I think the appeal only lasted for casual gamers. Now comes the "WiiU" (I don't even know if this is technically a new system) and it looks like more of the same gimmicks. Sure it'll be fun for a second, but then most gamers will go back to their Xbox or PlayStation. Notice that I'm not talking about any of the handhelds. The reason is that I honestly don't think handhelds will make or break any company. I don't see the appeal of them. If I'm gaming on the go, I'd rather have something I can play in short bursts because chances are I'm not going to be playing long.

The truth is, though, I don't think Nintendo is going anywhere. From what I understand, they are still very popular in Japan and they have captured an audience around here of casual gamers that I doubt will ever be interested in more powerful systems (IE - My mom bought a Wii just for Netflix and Wii Fit). Not to mention, at last check, the Wii has sold more consoles that either Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

I would have thought similar notions had I not seen the Wii II that's coming out with the whopping specs of 2006 technology. I don't think a TFT display on a controller is innovative enough this time around. We'll see, but I think we're looking at the death kneel of Nintendo or at least the beginning of the end.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: Will Nintendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Post by ian_house »

This thread is mental. Not only will Nintendo be around in 5 years but they will also be making top class games. Name one other company with the same quality of studios/games/franchises. Yeah they are taking a hit right now, but no way near as bad as they did when the gamecube was about. In comparisson to N64-gamecube era Nintendo are flush. Back then Sega had just stopped making consoles (but are still making games, a good sign that Nintendo won't just dissapear) and Nintendo was coming away with the 2 least succesful consoles of their respective generations. Right now they have sold an INSANE number of DS's (all varities) and the Wii (for about 3 years) was the highest selling console.

I'm not saying Nintendo aren't hitting a slump, but they are so far away from buried.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Eg. nintendo have sold 147,860,000 DS CONSOLES since launch...

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Nintendo have been around since 1887. I can't see them disappearing any time soon.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

pokemon and mario will carry them till the end of time is it not time for disney to buy them lol

mario vs thor

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Elveen wrote:As long as they have Mario (and some of their other characters) they can find a way to survive.
Nintendo will be around but will they still be making hardware...

Sega is More profitable since Sonic and there other franchises are on all other consoles.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Drift wrote:Nintendo have been around since 1887. I can't see them disappearing any time soon.
Nintendo came out the first year they celebrated Ground Hog Day, who knew?

8-)

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

If not for the Wii becoming such a huge success, I think this next console would be make or break for them. I love the core Nintendo games, but they have really been dropping the ball with the number of top tier titles since the N64 days. If they are to remain a dominant force in the video game industry, I think they need to address this problem with the next console. They can't keep relying on the casual gamers since the other two are starting to tap into that well.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

I dunno. Just because Nintendo sold x-amount of DS's over the course of six years, I'm talking about the next half decade. They had a tremendous opportunity to wow the gaming community with its next handheld and IMO, failed out of the gate. A tiny spec bump, over-priced hardware, over-priced games, and few titles at launch.

I'm thinking that in five years Nintendo will go the way of Sega: software only.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

Drift wrote:Nintendo have been around since 1887. I can't see them disappearing any time soon.
All good things can come to an end. Woolworth was in business for 100 years and was America's perennial food and houseware retailer. Gone. Enron is also a good example. Just sayin'. :hm:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

pokemon is on the upswing in sales and figures teh games sell out all the time

if htey ever learn to either make great first party games or license them out they will grow very fast they just have to get the point and it only takes a short time to get a turnarond they have too much to screw it up for too long remember the cube (falure ) bigtime then they got it right for a while they will figure it out hopefully soon

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:If not for the Wii becoming such a huge success, I think this next console would be make or break for them. I love the core Nintendo games, but they have really been dropping the ball with the number of top tier titles since the N64 days. If they are to remain a dominant force in the video game industry, I think they need to address this problem with the next console. They can't keep relying on the casual gamers since the other two are starting to tap into that well.

This. I also agree with the earlier statement that the last top to bottom great system they released was the SNES, which in my book is the greatest entertainment machine of not only the era but in vid game history.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

I never did play Ocarina in Time and have heard it was SWEET!
But I have to say...for me...the last and only great Zelda game for me was on the SNES: A Link to the Past.

Tried playing Windwalker on the GC, but got frustrated with how SLOW the sailing was.
Minish Cap on the Gameboy Advance wasn't bad. I finished that one.
Got half-way through one for the DS, but those dumb stylus moves ticked me off.
Bought Twilight Princess for the GC, but somehow never finished it. Got bored I guess.

I think there are lots of gamers who think the only great Zelda game was Link to the Past.

How about Mario Kart? I personally have played the GC version for probably > 100 hours with friends. LOVE THAT GAME! Haven't played the one for the Wii, but from what I've read it has not been as well received.

My nephew bought the Mario game for the Wii and he told me that it was -very- frustrating and not as fun as say Mario 64.

To me, Nintendo's hey, hey-day has peaked. The days of marginal updates to hardware are gone. Gamers have too many other choices out there. I love Mario as much as the next guy, but Nintendo isn't even forward-thinking enough to put the original Donkey Kong on the DS. Are you kidding me? :? :P

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

david_albuq wrote: To me, Nintendo's hey, hey-day has peaked.
That might be true. But to, me (and I'm not trying to argue for argument sake), peaked and being gone in 5 years are different things.

My simple point is that 2 of the top 5 video game characters are owned by Nintendo, that "should" lead to sustainability.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

You know, at first I thought this was a type-o, then I looked it up... Wiki say 1889, but either way, that is a loooooong time.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

The president of Nintendo made an official statement today that Nintendo has no plans on creating iOS games.
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/15/nintendo ... ideration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mr. Iwata will not be president for too much longer. I think Apple should buy out Nintendo. Now that would be awesome.

Nintendo will go the way of Blockbuster. Blockbuster failed to read the demands of its customers and growing trends in technology.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

david_albuq wrote:The president of Nintendo made an official statement today that Nintendo has no plans on creating iOS games.
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/15/nintendo ... ideration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mr. Iwata will not be president for too much longer. I think Apple should buy out Nintendo. Now that would be awesome.

Nintendo will go the way of Blockbuster. Blockbuster failed to read the demands of its customers and growing trends in technology.
This doesn't surprise me too me. Nintendo has never been too much into sharing it's properties with anyone. Maybe that's why they survive, maybe it's what will kill them... who knows? Besides, it's not like you can't play all of the Nintendo and SNES you want on iOS anyways. :thumb:

ian_house
Will Nintendo Be Around in 5 Years?

Post by ian_house »

Nintendo VERY rarely makes anything for third parties, it's the reason they have kept going for so long and made so much money.

You also choose Nintendo's choice of going into 3D as being their downfall, yet every other console and company are expected to jump straight into this arena once their new consoles are announced. Just as TV companies are, even if it is a bad choice with 3D cinema starting to slow down.

Nintendo would have to have a string of really bad selling consoles and games before they'd even think of stopping making consoles, let alone total collapse as you suggest. You don't seem to grasp how successful the DS and wii (and therefore games as Nintendo are heavily reliant on making their own games) have been over the last 5 years.

Also Weak sales of 3DS have still seen Nintendo post profits this year.
Nanites at work!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

That last post reminds me... look at Virtual Boy. That thing was a HUGE flop! If Nintendo could survive that thing, they can survive anything! :D I do agree that Nintendo needs to step up their game with console technology. They fell behind with N64 and just never seemed to catch back up. I guess it doesn't seem to be hurting them any, though... :?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

etos45 wrote:That last post reminds me... look at Virtual Boy. That thing was a HUGE flop! If Nintendo could survive that thing, they can survive anything! :D
Yeah, that was almost the equivalent of new Coke...