Battlefield 3 beta

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Battlefield 3 beta

Post by etos45 »

So the Battlefield 3 beta dropped for Xbox Live Gold members today, who's picking it up? I'm in the process of downloading it now. :D

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Re: Battlefield 3 beta

Post by Knightt »

Ok... Getting out of bed now to go DL it.
:thumb:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I have to say that so far I am not impressed. If CoD didn't exist, then it might be cool, but as of now I prefer the other. It's much more difficult to spot a baddie and killing them is even harder. To top it off, I keep getting messages from people asking me to leave because I suck... I'll try again tomorrow... maybe it'll be better with friends. :|

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
Battlefield 3 beta

Post by R Daneel »

I have a large group of work friends who used to play CoD regularly (MW, MW2, BLkOps) but early on in the BlkOps one guy just became a total sad sack about CoD in general - every night we played became a whine fest - I hadn't seen my 4 year old act this way. He finally took our advice and stopped playing but not before going on and on about BF2 ... eventually a BF2 nite started. Anyway, this guy was successful in creaking a big fence between the CoD guys and BF guys.

Fast forward to today ... I was worried that Bf3 was going to overtake CoD because it looked very cool but said friend had pushed me into disliking it with his fanboi'ism. I have been playing the beta and enjoying it but it isn't a CoD killer in my opinion. It is a smooth and polished game (unlike Homefront for example which I had high hopes for) but to supplant CoD series for #1 - not in my book ... Unless MW3 is a complete regression and flop.

I find it difficult to discern enemy from teammate as well - I guess they would say that is more like real life?? Some of the concepts about progressing through each weapon instead of getting them simply due to level is cool. I will. Play and enjoy the beta but doubt I will buy. Which is a little bit of a shame I guess but that is what said friend has pushed me towards. *shrug*

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

etos45 wrote:I have to say that so far I am not impressed. If CoD didn't exist, then it might be cool, but as of now I prefer the other. It's much more difficult to spot a baddie and killing them is even harder. To top it off, I keep getting messages from people asking me to leave because I suck... I'll try again tomorrow... maybe it'll be better with friends. :|
Killing is ALWAYS better with friends. :twisted:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Knightt wrote:
etos45 wrote:I have to say that so far I am not impressed. If CoD didn't exist, then it might be cool, but as of now I prefer the other. It's much more difficult to spot a baddie and killing them is even harder. To top it off, I keep getting messages from people asking me to leave because I suck... I'll try again tomorrow... maybe it'll be better with friends. :|
Killing is ALWAYS better with friends. :twisted:
Especially when your friends are actually good at the game and can minimize the number up times you die... :lol:

I really need to get better at these games. :hope:

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator
Battlefield 3 beta

Post by ian_house »

Beta... out now... wtf am I still doing here?!?
Nanites at work!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Okay, after a night of gaming with a group of my friends (and replacing a seemingly defunct controller), I have changed my mind about Battlefield 3. As I'm ranking up and getting better attachments for my weapons I'm finding that I enjoy playing the game more. Except for the last match I was playing where we were getting crushed, I was doing fairly well and I was almost completely able to keep up. I still have trouble figuring out who is on my team, but then I realized that there was no team kill so I didn't care anymore. :D

Does anyone know if you get to keep your stats from the beta when the game launches? I don't want to put in too much time playing if I'm just going to have to start over at the end of the month.

R Daneel
Battlefield 3 beta

Post by R Daneel »

you do not keep stats of any kind FYI ... clean slate at launch

I was playing a lot if recon at first because I wanted my experience going one direction so I could build on it .... but when I realized things would be wiped, I am playing all 4.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

R Daneel wrote:you do not keep stats of any kind FYI ... clean slate at launch

I was playing a lot if recon at first because I wanted my experience going one direction so I could build on it .... but when I realized things would be wiped, I am playing all 4.
Yeah, I read in a FAQ for Battlefield last night that the beta doesn't stick. Kind of makes it seem meaningless to put too much time into it then (kind of like how some people have been playing non-stop to reach level 44 already). Well, maybe there will at least be a beta bonus like Gears of War 3 had. :thumb:

Still, I guess the beta did its job, because I'm 99% sure I'm going to be pre-ordering this game before the beta is over with.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

etos45 wrote:Well, maybe there will at least be a beta bonus like Gears of War 3 had.
That WAS nice to have for testing their software for them, which is basically what a beta is... and it makes sense. Get all the bugs out before it hits the streets.

Now, onward to BF3. I thought the multiplayer was ok. At this point in the game (22 days out from launch), I would not expect to have annoying glitches like getting caught/stuck in a door or not being able to parkour over obstacles like a bike rack when under similar circumstances I could leap/parkour over a bench. There were many times upon spawning that I would, spawn, walk through a door and then be sent back to my spawn point, two or three times in a row.

I was not overly impressed with the graphics and am not thinking that this will be a CoD killer, at least not this year. I have read a few articles which talk about the graphics have been revamped/amped up but I am looking for the way graphics FLOW as in CoD:BO... like liquid metal. I remember the helicopter scenes looking awesome and pretty realistic, not that I have ever been in the cockpit of a HIND while in flight but the sensation that you get when actually flying in a helicopter.

I am not counting BF3 down and out by a longshot. I pre-paid for it for my son's birthday, so I have a copy to 'try' but I also reserved MW3 for my birthday... getting the CoD/MW Xbox games for me are a tradition in my house as MY BIRTHDAY IS ON 11 NOVEMBER every year and the games are released on or about 11 November/Veteran's Day, crazy huh ? That me, a combat vet, years ago be born (on what was then Armistice Day) and celebrate MY BIRTHDAY ON 11 NOVEMBER. A veteran having his birthday on Veteran's Day. It is like it was meant to be and I like the idea that MY BIRTHDAY IS ON 11 NOVEMBER.

Or wait a minute... is it I was born on 11 November and wanted to BE a veterinarian, ended up joining the Army on accident, saw my first combat gig, earned veteran status and thought it fit the bill ?

GAH.... my life has been this huge LIE !!!

hehehe

I will have both of these in the house and while I think that BF3 will be VERY good, it may not be enough to take down CoD:BO... CoD's multiplayer community base is very tight and hard to whittle away at. I have always enjoyed the BF series as well because of the use of vehicles/aircraft.

One thing for sure is that we FINALLY see some competition for the CoD franchise and they may be coming on strong this year. The game with the better single player campaign is something I would like to see win out but I know many a player that buy either of these games for the multiplayer alone.

The more I think on it, the more I waffle. Playing BF3 multiplayer beta last night didn't blow my socks off, easy enough. (but it will not stop me from buying the game when it comes out)

etos45

Post by etos45 »

It seems to me that BF and CoD are like apples and oranges. They're really hard to compare for me (though I've played a lot more CoD than BF). Single player, I've always preferred CoD because it just feels like it has more of a story. BF was more like a chaotic war should be where I just spent too much time running around and getting shot. That being said, I haven't played anything but BF2 and I still enjoyed it.

I have some friends that swear by BF and talk about how much better of a multiplayer game it is than CoD and the rest say CoD is more fun. I think from the looks of things, I generally enjoy playing CoD more (it's just easier to get a kill and the matches aren't so long), but it looks like I would feel like I was accomplishing more on BF3 and the big battles are a nice change. My biggest complaint with CoD is that you hit 50, prestige, then they take everything you earned away and you have to start over. Not cool for me, but I don't want to just sit on 50 either while everyone complains because I don't want to prestige. I also hate (and I mean HAAAAAAAATE) the last stand perk. There is nothing worse than finally getting a kill just to be shot in last stand and then have them get picked up so I don't even get credit for the kill.

So, yeah, I'll probably get BF3 and hope that people play it past the CoD:MW3 release, otherwise it's going to seem like a big waste of money to only play for a few weeks.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

etos45 wrote:It seems to me that BF and CoD are like apples and oranges. They're really hard to compare...
I think you have a good point there.

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

I dunno .... they are both FRUIT for gods sake, they aren't that difficult to compare! It's not like we're comparing an apple and a physics concept or an orange and football player. :D

Personally, I think they are both quality, polished first-person shooters and that sets them ahead of a lot of others. Plenty *cough*Homefront*cough* type games get hyped and come out and we see how bad a FPS can be. I like them both, I just don't know if I will buy both. I am in on CoD MW3 for sure.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... ate-2.aspx

Not crazy about the idea that we're beta testing code a version or two behind ... they dont care to beta test THAT? Not interested in putting that best (better) foot forward to the community? I certainly get that they are stress testing infrastructure more than anything at this point but cant agree with testing the old gameplay code. *shrug*