One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Re: Skyrim

Post by David_Cody »

Nope. Never played D&D.
So as you play the game, your powers increase in strength? Is this random or do you have to manage it?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

david_albuq wrote:Nope. Never played D&D.
So as you play the game, your powers increase in strength? Is this random or do you have to manage it?
I'll give you an example from Final Fantasy:

In this game, your "energy" or "health" is displayed via a system of points. On a very basic level, this includes what are known as hit points-the physical damage you can withstand-and magic points, the magical power(if you can use magic) that you are allowed to dole out, or expend in the use of a spell. When you gain a level, or advance a level, your powers increase. This is done by beating foes, which give you "experience points" that work towards gaining a new level, which is of course an improvement over the old one. Say you start off with 25 HP and 3 MP, at level 1. When you gain, say, 20 EP, you will gain a level and increase both your HP and MP. This is figured in a more complex way, having to do with other stats such as "wisdom, agility, endurance, ect". So...

If you are familiar with, say, The Legend of Zelda, each time Link finds a heart piece, that would be the equiv of gaining HP. As far as "managing" it, in many games, it is not too random. Some games allow you to decide where to add attributes, which then affect outcomes and strengths/weaknesses, but typically, within a narrow range, you will gain a certain amount per level. In FF4, for example, when Cecil goes from level 9 to level 10 as a Paladin, he very often gains a whopping 300 HP. Your job as the player is the gain experience, and manage the character via weapons, armor and support items while working towards more HP/MP. There are other things some games allow at certain points. In Breath of Fire, for instance, I believe that it is only after level 20 that you can start learning the advanced Dragon Magic for you main character, and in Wild Arms, you had to be at above a certain level to craft certain weapons and armor, so there are built in incentives to keep you advancing. FF12 has a section where you can't gain access to a portion of the map unless your average group EP level is above 40.

Hope this helps and don't worry, it isn't nearly as boring as it might sound. If you're a stat geek, you can get really pumped, but me, I focus mainly on the basics and getting what I need to beat the monsters and bosses and keep myself advancing through the storyline.

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Cool. Thx. When you first started I was thinking Zelda and then lo and behold...
Skyrim sounds like a fun game. Might have to look into at after the summer is over.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

david_albuq wrote:Cool. Thx. When you first started I was thinking Zelda and then lo and behold...
Skyrim sounds like a fun game. Might have to look into at after the summer is over.
Glad I could help. One word of warning about Skyrim...it's supposedly videogame crack. I've seen profs and fellow students vanish inside that game since it came on the market. "A way of life" they say.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Skyrim is excellent. One day, I'll have to go back and finish the main storyline at least. Maybe after I finish Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Leveling up is taking forever now :lol:

Finally at 36

Guess I should tackle the actual storyline.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Any X-Box users pick up the add on Dawnguard?

I downloaded it and havn't done anything with that portion yet.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
Skyrim

Post by R Daneel »

OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST - DLC?!

I thought I was almost done with the game. Level 56 ... only 3 or 4 achievements remain.

I will have to get the DLC though.

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

MY girlfriends 360 got the death ring some time ago and I plan on buying her a new one for her birthday. I plan on picking up skyrim then. :thumb: On that note. What's a death ring 360 worth. She might try to sell it.

R Daneel
Skyrim

Post by R Daneel »

Not much ... 40 or 50 bucks? Seen'em on eBay but don't recall exactly. Good for a couple components depending on the model.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Oh man. I got Skyrim for x-mas...

Got swallowed up in it for a couple months, then had to be stubborn and put it away for awhile. My wife started making fun of me when I got married in-game... It really is a form of digital crack. The absolute freedom of choosing your own adventures and the sheer depth of detail to the world is simply staggering.

Been plugging away again recently, I'm at level 35 now. I absolutely love the leveling system - having to improve individual skills through use rather than getting XP points each level-up to distribute amongst skill sets is just brilliant, IMHO.

This game has completely squelched my desire to play any other game until I get through it, which is gonna be a longtime by the look of it!! I haven't even touched the DLC yet either...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

grendeljd wrote:Oh man. I got Skyrim for x-mas...

Got swallowed up in it for a couple months, then had to be stubborn and put it away for awhile. My wife started making fun of me when I got married in-game... It really is a form of digital crack. The absolute freedom of choosing your own adventures and the sheer depth of detail to the world is simply staggering.

Been plugging away again recently, I'm at level 35 now. I absolutely love the leveling system - having to improve individual skills through use rather than getting XP points each level-up to distribute amongst skill sets is just brilliant, IMHO.

This game has completely squelched my desire to play any other game until I get through it, which is gonna be a longtime by the look of it!! I haven't even touched the DLC yet either...
if you picked up the DLC then what's your X-Box gamertag? I'm level 43-44 and LOVE the game.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

betterthanezra wrote:

if you picked up the DLC then what's your X-Box gamertag? I'm level 43-44 and LOVE the game.

-Brian
Haven't bought the DLC just yet... I'm on a PS3, i assume its available for all consoles, yeah? I go by grendeljd there too :)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

grendeljd wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
Haven't bought the DLC just yet... I'm on a PS3, i assume its available for all consoles, yeah? I go by grendeljd there too :)
No it's an X-Box exclusive for a bit (like 30-60 days)... So far the DLC is great well worth the money.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

At 1600 MS Points or $20 Dawngaurd had better be worth it!
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

I saw someone mention a patch. Is this a game you have to play online? Someone give me the basic rundown.

R Daneel
Skyrim

Post by R Daneel »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:Is this a game you have to play online? Someone give me the basic rundown.
A great intro from Wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elde ... _V:_Skyrim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game is available on a number of platforms - XBox is what a lot of us here use but dont quote me on that - just mentioning that because the DLC is what we have most recenty been talking about and ut us only available there at the moment.

The DLC is typically delivered online but you do not need to be online to play when it comes to XBox. The patches are delivered regularly if you are connected to XBox Live - in general the patches include bug fixes and whatnot.

Not to be confused with online play and MMORPG type patches that deliver evolving storyline and whatnot ... this game is not of the MMO nature like WoW or SWTOR.

I was about to shelve the game and finally move on to the Assassin's Creed game that had been collecting dust but DLC will have to be worked through now too. I have kicked my Valiant completionist habit but not my XBox Live achievement addiction. (I maxed out Oblivion at 1250 points).

:)

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

R Daneel wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:Is this a game you have to play online? Someone give me the basic rundown.
A great intro from Wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elde ... _V:_Skyrim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game is available on a number of platforms - XBox is what a lot of us here use but dont quote me on that - just mentioning that because the DLC is what we have most recenty been talking about and ut us only available there at the moment.

The DLC is typically delivered online but you do not need to be online to play when it comes to XBox. The patches are delivered regularly if you are connected to XBox Live - in general the patches include bug fixes and whatnot.

Not to be confused with online play and MMORPG type patches that deliver evolving storyline and whatnot ... this game is not of the MMO nature like WoW or SWTOR.

I was about to shelve the game and finally move on to the Assassin's Creed game that had been collecting dust but DLC will have to be worked through now too. I have kicked my Valiant completionist habit but not my XBox Live achievement addiction. (I maxed out Oblivion at 1250 points).

:)
Well I just picked up a 360 for the girlfriend and have it hooked up now. What is DLC? So patches of course are for online stuff. But if I don't need to be online to play the game then what is it patching. What's different if I just play solo offline rather than hook up to live?

R Daneel
Skyrim

Post by R Daneel »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:Well I just picked up a 360 for the girlfriend and have it hooked up now. What is DLC? So patches of course are for online stuff. But if I don't need to be online to play the game then what is it patching. What's different if I just play solo offline rather than hook up to live?
AWESOME! Not that you got an XBox but you learned out to give the girlfriend gifts that are mutually beneficial. :). Like the time I got the wife a new video camera.

OK so one thing to get strait ... playing online and the console being online (connected to the Internet) are different in my way of describing it. This game has no online feature where you are playing other people so the only benefit to having the console connected to the Internet is patching the game occasionally and uploading achievements. It is patching code bugs ... actual errors in the game. Maybe the game freezes for some in certain quests, or NPCs that do not do the right things to allow a quest to move forward, etc. These game fixes and patches are all free in the included XBL Silver that everyone has by buying and setting up an account. It is recommended to have the patches downloaded just for gameplay reasons but not needed. (you can always just drag a long ethernet cable to it every so often and get all the patches for the game and console and not always have it connected)

DLC stands for "downloadable (DL) content" and is typically offered for games to extend the game in some way. DLC for Skyrim is additional quest storylines. DLC for a 1st person shooter (like Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty series) are typically map packs for ACTUAL online multiplayer play. DLC typically costs $$$ but sometimes is free.

Hope that helps ... I'm probably making it clear as mud. If you get the game, you can just throw it in and play without any patches it will certainly work. If you have the ability to have an Internet connection on it every now and then, that would be ideal just so you get bug fixes for the games you play - most games get patches at some point or another. The frequency usually coincides with the popularity and how often the patches are needed.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

R Daneel wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:Well I just picked up a 360 for the girlfriend and have it hooked up now. What is DLC? So patches of course are for online stuff. But if I don't need to be online to play the game then what is it patching. What's different if I just play solo offline rather than hook up to live?
AWESOME! Not that you got an XBox but you learned out to give the girlfriend gifts that are mutually beneficial. :). Like the time I got the wife a new video camera.

OK so one thing to get strait ... playing online and the console being online (connected to the Internet) are different in my way of describing it. This game has no online feature where you are playing other people so the only benefit to having the console connected to the Internet is patching the game occasionally and uploading achievements. It is patching code bugs ... actual errors in the game. Maybe the game freezes for some in certain quests, or NPCs that do not do the right things to allow a quest to move forward, etc. These game fixes and patches are all free in the included XBL Silver that everyone has by buying and setting up an account. It is recommended to have the patches downloaded just for gameplay reasons but not needed. (you can always just drag a long ethernet cable to it every so often and get all the patches for the game and console and not always have it connected)

DLC stands for "downloadable (DL) content" and is typically offered for games to extend the game in some way. DLC for Skyrim is additional quest storylines. DLC for a 1st person shooter (like Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty series) are typically map packs for ACTUAL online multiplayer play. DLC typically costs $$$ but sometimes is free.

Hope that helps ... I'm probably making it clear as mud. If you get the game, you can just throw it in and play without any patches it will certainly work. If you have the ability to have an Internet connection on it every now and then, that would be ideal just so you get bug fixes for the games you play - most games get patches at some point or another. The frequency usually coincides with the popularity and how often the patches are needed.
That helps a lot actually. I was going to go to a local place and rent it for a few days before buying it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I've played Skyrim and it's has it's fair share of bugs.

The one that I noticed is what I call "the dead dragon" a dragon will literally fall out of the sky; dead and it doesn't disintergrate and you can walk through it. You don't fight it or get any loot or powers out of it.

It's funny once or twice but after a while it becomes an annoyance because the corpse doesn't go away unless you turn off the system.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Once I get all my shipping taken care of from my sale thread I want to get a copy. Thing is I was always a playstation fan and I am still new to x-box. Still getting used to the controls.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Been playing this a bit. Not sure if i can get into it. I can't really put my finger on it but it's just not grabbing my attention.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Looks like another DLC for this will be available for this September 4th-6th for only $5.00 :thumb:

I'm finally up to level 46

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Last week I finished the Vampire Lord Quests, Dawnguard was pretty decent. Can't wait for even more DLC!