David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger
End of the $60 Game?

Post by David_Cody »

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 12574.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's see. I can buy Angry Birds for $1 buck or hundreds of 360 PS3 games for 60x as much. :hm: Apples and oranges, but still a viable discussion point that is gaining steam.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: End of the $60 Game?

Post by xodacia81 »

The price of games is what keeps me retrogaming the same old stuff and that gets OLD after a while, so I've just gradually drifted away from it. Used to play quite a bit, up until about 5 years ago. Now, I can go a month or more and not play anything on a console.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

please lord, give us a price drop.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

xodacia81 wrote:The price of games is what keeps me retrogaming the same old stuff and that gets OLD after a while, so I've just gradually drifted away from it. Used to play quite a bit, up until about 5 years ago. Now, I can go a month or more and not play anything on a console.
I have been waiting until price drops. $60, then $30, then $20, then BUY! Except MarioKart, everything drops eventually.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

I buy games from CL and the bay even mw3 and skyrim were like 30 teh next week after release

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

1st week of release games are always going to be around the $60 mark. The people who want it immediately are willing to pay so why reduce price? A few weeks later the price drops alot quicker than previously, especially with online and digital distribution. I don't see much change coming from this.

There is alot of fear in the gaming press about iOS/Android becoming major platforms for gaming but to be honest I don't see it being a long term concern unless these platforms cant sort out the multiple issues they have. For now they will affect sales though as the consoles are all at the end of their generations whilst smartphone/tablets are only just coming into their own. A year into the next console gen and all this chat will be history.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I was watching a opinion vid on the ME3 Day 1 DLC and ending controversies on my IGN video app on the Xbox 360, one their editors state that console games are cheaper today because either he, or his parents, had paid $100 for Phantasy Star 4 for the Sega Genesis.

You know it's funny because I when I was kid I NEVER EVER saw a brand new NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, or Sega 32X game that was ever over $50, (unless they had some expensive extra hardware that came with them), in any store. Hell the only 2 PS1 games that I bought brand new (and I bought a LOT of PS1 games brand new) that were over $50 were Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete and that was because of the all the extras that were thrown.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:I was watching a opinion vid on the ME3 Day 1 DLC and ending controversies on my IGN video app on the Xbox 360, one their editors state that console games are cheaper today because either he, or his parents, had paid $100 for Phantasy Star 4 for the Sega Genesis.

You know it's funny because I when I was kid I NEVER EVER saw a brand new NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, or Sega 32X game that was ever over $50, (unless they had some expensive extra hardware that came with them), in any store. Hell the only 2 PS1 games that I bought brand new (and I bought a LOT of PS1 games brand new) that were over $50 were Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete and that was because of the all the extras that were thrown.
I remember seeing NES games sell for $59 at a Wal-Mart when across town at the other Wal-Mart those exact same games were on clearance for $5 each. I want to say this was 1995 or 1996, near the end of the Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis era.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Every department store that we went to back in 80s/90s which were basically K-Mart, Target, and Woolworths (Wal-Mart didn't come around until the early 90s) and Toy Store (Toys R Us, KB toys, and Children's Palace) every brand new video game was $49.99 it wasn't until the mid-N64/PS1 era that games went up to $60.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger. I think they were like 69.99/$79.99 Given inflation... those games would probably be like a $100-120+ games today.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

Yeah, I remember as a kid just staring for ten minutes at a time every time we went to the Wal-Mart at Super Mario RPG. 69 dollars. 69 dollars. 69 dollars. It's amazing now to me what a barrier that was as a child, when you got two dollars a week for an allowance. I knew it was never going to happen.

I rented it instead, probably ten times, beat it at least three of those times in weekend-long gameplay sessions. Probably still only spent about 30 dollars total on the thing.

Nowadays so many games can be beat in a rental, the 60 dollar price point is ridiculous. Why pay 60 dollars for Batman: Arkham Origins this fall when I know I can blitz through it on a Saturday afternoon and spend two bucks? I rented Max Payne 3 recently (boy was it a let down compared to the magnificent Max Payne 2), beat it in a weekend. Two bucks total because the store I rent from has a special on the weekend, but even if I'd had to pay for all three days it would've only been six dollars total. Obviously RPGs like Fallout or Skyrim or what have you are the exception, those do require a purchase, but I see no point in buying them brand new.

Max Payne 3 does have a decent Multiplayer that was pretty engrossing, but to really get into it deeply was going to be another $30 on top of the price of the game for the extra map/weapon packs. I hate all the nickel and diming these game companies are into nowadays, it's ridiculous.

I still buy games, but they're always the Game of the Year/Ultimate editions, because I am seriously not going to pay another $30 for DLC. I can wait a year to play a game. And I can then wait another four months and buy that ultimate edition for 20 dollars instead of 40.

The only game I bought for my PS3 around the time it came out was Dishonored last year, because the Black Friday special was only $25. Now my total cost will probably be $45 when I factor in the two DLC expansion packs. I feel that's still a pretty good deal though for not having to wait two years to play it, AND the fact that unlike so many games it's actually pretty phenomenal. Really reminds me of Thief and probably one of the most unique fantasy universes I've seen in a long time in a video game.

Honestly, gaming has definitely become a case of the second mouse gets the cheese--by entering this gen about three to four years late I can play incredibly long games like Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Demon's Souls, whatever, games with hundreds of hours of engrossing gameplay, for about 20 bucks a piece, brand new, all DLC included. Early worms are punished by the games industry, and they act like they like it. People who wait can either take advantage of used game sales or brand new ultimate editions with everything included. See, I don't even buy games used, I buy them brand new, and still feel like I'm getting away with murder.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Baramos wrote:Honestly, gaming has definitely become a case of the second mouse gets the cheese--by entering this gen about three to four years late I can play incredibly long games like Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Demon's Souls, whatever, games with hundreds of hours of engrossing gameplay, for about 20 bucks a piece, brand new, all DLC included. Early worms are punished by the games industry, and they act like they like it. People who wait can either take advantage of used game sales or brand new ultimate editions with everything included. See, I don't even buy games used, I buy them brand new, and still feel like I'm getting away with murder.
That's exactly what I do to be honest. I don't often really care for the 'latest and greatest' games that are coming out because I have the patience of like... A tortoise. Or something that's really patient.

If a game takes my interest I'll usually just give it a while for the price to drop, or wait for it to appear in the 'preowned' section, or forget about it altogether unless I stumble across it again at a (usually much) later date. EBay's a killer place to pick up uber-cheap games too. It's not that I'm a tight *SQUEE*, but I just don't want to be paying near on £70 for a game simply because it's new :|

I'm really enjoying Motorstorm for the first time ever (Pacific Rift to be exact, GOT to love monster trucks!) and y'know when it came out? 2007. Think I care that it's an old game? Not at all - it's a ton of fun! :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

PS Plus has completely turned me off of buying any games. I just hope that I get it free at some point from PS Plus. I hate when I buy a game, never get around to playing it, then it ends up free on PS Plus.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

I have a feeling with the PS4 requiring you to have PS Plus to play online (which is a terrible idea and unless Sony is running the servers a total crock of *SQUEE* as well, since ostensibly with the PS3 the companies run the servers for their games and pay the costs, whereas with XBOX360 Microsoft runs the servers, thus somewhat justifying a price of XBOX Live), they are not going to have near as many freebies involved with PS Plus because it's going to be something of a required subscription for people who are very into online play (which I am not to a great extent but I did enjoy Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer, and there are a ton of Call of Duty players who will not bat an eye at paying the PS Plus subscription). That's a possibility. If they "play nice" and keep adding to the PS Plus library that would be good, but there's not going to be near the impetus for them going forward as there is now.