KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Re: Collecting video games

Post by KXXX »

Oh man... I have an unhealthy collection habit that I've only managed to calm over the last... right about the time I started collecting Valiant again.

Ask me about my Turok Rage Wars grey cart and why it's a big deal... go on...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Why is your Turok Rage Wars grey cart a big deal?

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

So glad you asked :D

It's actually not a HUGE deal, but it's a pretty interesting story and it was a fun journey.

The Acclaim video games were what got me into Valiant in the first place. While it was Shadowman that really brought me here, the Turok games were a beloved part of my childhood as well.

A few years ago, 2009 or so, a friend of mine with an equal love of these Turok games and I decided we wanted to nerd out and play some video games on my 58'' tv. It was during this sessions that we played Halo co-op for what was my first time ever. Soon after I bought all of the Halo games and an Xbox 360 to play them on.

One classic that we revisted was Rage Wars. Having co-op on our brains, we set out to beat the game on co-op and each acquire the last of the in-game medals: the co-op medal. However, there was a glitch in one of the last three missions that was required to complete this task that made it so you COULD NOT WIN THE MISSION.

I frantically googled the *SQUEE* out of this and found a blurb describing the situation: all of the first production (black) cartridges had this glitch. Once Acclaim caught wind of it, they actually offered to replace the cart. If players mailed the cartridge in, Acclaim would send a fixed, grey cartridge copy to them. I also learned that foreign editions of the game did not feature this glitch.

So I was left with three choices: build a time machine and travel back to when Acclaim was still around, build something almost as complex to play a PAL N64 on my NTSC television and track down a Europen version of the game or try to find a grey cartridge copy of the game.

I looked through every video game store I could think of and sent messages to dozens of ebay sellers. I tried to explain to everyone exactly why and most looked at me like I was insane. Perhaps I am. It was that little OCD voice in my head that told me I just had to comletely and utterly finish this game with every medal.

Most ebay sellers were using the same stock photo of the game, so it was a process of sending the same message over and over to complete strangers. Most were confused as to why there was a difference. After a few months I got what I was looking for: "Yeah, why?"

Soon I ordered the game and we blasted through again, gaining that last shiny piece of non-existant flair.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

That is awesome, sir ... I salute you.

:thumb:

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

:lol:

One thing I have a huge problem with is Player's Guides. I try to grab one for every game I have. There's a weird market for those things, and rare guides for great games can get over $100 easy.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Neat story, glad you finally found the game.

I loved the N64 Turok games as well. The weapons were awesome, the graphics were amazing at the time (although the fog was a little annoying) and it was just an all around fun series. Not into multiplayer, so I never played Rage Wars, but sounds like you had fun playing it.

It's a shame about the bug in the game, but that was around the time that Acclaim was literally falling apart, so I imagine they rushed it out the door as soon as they could. Too bad they didn't have the ability to patch games like they do now.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Neat story, glad you finally found the game.

I loved the N64 Turok games as well. The weapons were awesome, the graphics were amazing at the time (although the fog was a little annoying) and it was just an all around fun series. Not into multiplayer, so I never played Rage Wars, but sounds like you had fun playing it.

It's a shame about the bug in the game, but that was around the time that Acclaim was literally falling apart, so I imagine they rushed it out the door as soon as they could. Too bad they didn't have the ability to patch games like they do now.
Rage Wars was still playable as a single player. Very much so, in fact. It was all deathmatch style against AI. A bit repetitious at points, but unlocking all the weapons and characters (especially fun was playing as a raptor with only claws) was worth it.

I'll say one thing: Chest Burster. That weapon alone was worth all the time.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

KXXX wrote:

Rage Wars was still playable as a single player. Very much so, in fact. It was all deathmatch style against AI. A bit repetitious at points, but unlocking all the weapons and characters (especially fun was playing as a raptor with only claws) was worth it.

I always thought the Cerebral Bore was pretty wicked. Even the sound effect of the drill going into the skull made you cringe.....

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
KXXX wrote:

I always thought the Cerebral Bore was pretty wicked. Even the sound effect of the drill going into the skull made you cringe.....
That sound effect was downright brilliant. Interestingly enough the cerebral bore was a pickup/bonus weapon in Rage Wars. You had three different ammo types (bullet, explosive and energy) and could carry two different weapons for each. Among the more notable weapons were the aforementioned chest burster, the inflator, the freeze gun and the scorpion launcher.

I really miss the old days.