XBOX live question

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque
XBOX live question

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

I got a question for those of you who play x-box live with friends. Me and my GF play rock band a lot when she is here. Let's say we get a second x-box. Could we play together over live?

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Re: XBOX live question

Post by etos45 »

Yeah, you should be able to. If I remember right, it's got a Live feature that lets you start "bands" over Xbox live.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Cool. We were talking about picking up a second xbox so we could play more.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

People still play Rock Band?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I'd get an XBOX except for 2 things: No Blu-Ray and the biggest "advantage" are the online games, which I can't afford in terms of time or fees. Sounds like a good service for those who can, though.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Heath wrote:People still play Rock Band?
Every weekend. It's fun.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

xodacia81 wrote:I'd get an XBOX except for 2 things: No Blu-Ray and the biggest "advantage" are the online games, which I can't afford in terms of time or fees. Sounds like a good service for those who can, though.
I think they sell a blu-ray attachment.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I'd get an XBOX except for 2 things: No Blu-Ray and the biggest "advantage" are the online games, which I can't afford in terms of time or fees. Sounds like a good service for those who can, though.
Again, I don't have the time for the online gameplay-or the money-that is the big attraction for XBOX games. As such, I certainly have neither money nor inclnation for an attachment. I want a single machine.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

xodacia81 wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
Again, I don't have the time for the online gameplay-or the money-that is the big attraction for XBOX games. As such, I certainly have neither money nor inclnation for an attachment. I want a single machine.
Yeah, Xbox is all about the online, and I love it! :thumb: The actual cost on it isn't too bad though, if you catch them at the right time. I managed to get 2 years and 1600 MS Points for around $80 last year. They still have similar deals from time to time now.

As for the Blu-ray player, there's no attachment. They had an HD-DVD attachment that went to live with BETA MAX on the farm up-state.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

etos45 wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
Yeah, Xbox is all about the online, and I love it! :thumb: The actual cost on it isn't too bad though, if you catch them at the right time. I managed to get 2 years and 1600 MS Points for around $80 last year. They still have similar deals from time to time now.

As for the Blu-ray player, there's no attachment. They had an HD-DVD attachment that went to live with BETA MAX on the farm up-state.
Problem with me is, although I know BR has "online" features, I also can't take advantage of it in my living room, as that room is not net ready and I'm not paying the extra bucks to get the front fixed up for that.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
There is no Blu-ray attachment and won't ever be for the 360...

For the next generation of the Xbox there will be :D

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

betterthanezra wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
There is no Blu-ray attachment and won't ever be for the 360...

For the next generation of the Xbox there will be :D

-Brian
hmmm... proof of this? It could be.. it should be.. but microsoft is notorious for screwing up simple things. Plus they would have to pay royalties to Sony... their competitor. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something crazy like stayed with dvd and/or went mostly digital distribution.

Actually flash memory prices are so cheap they could probably almost make usb game cards, though they would be more expensive... hello return of the $80 games!
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Aram wrote:hmmm... proof of this? It could be.. it should be.. but microsoft is notorious for screwing up simple things. Plus they would have to pay royalties to Sony... their competitor. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something crazy like stayed with dvd and/or went mostly digital distribution.

Actually flash memory prices are so cheap they could probably almost make usb game cards, though they would be more expensive... hello return of the $80 games!
Since no new console has been announce, it would be impossible to prove the next Xbox will have blu-ray. However, I can't imagine they won't. This generation, it made sense to skip it, it made consoles cheaper and put Xbox in the lead. Now that it's coming near its end of life, games are getting bigger and I can't see a scenario where next gen won't need a bigger disc.

I don't see them using flash memory, because it would be too easy to copy and leave open a wide door for authentication spoofing. They might choose to revive HD-DVD, that would surely help cut down on piracy, but it would also lose the appeal of users being able to play blu-rays.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Actually flash memory would be easier to drm. They could put chips in the drives snd make it far more secure and hard to crack. Not saying I want to see that. I'm hoping for bluray myself. More likely they will make a custom format though they might make it bdxl compatible.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

etos45 wrote:
Aram wrote:hmmm... proof of this? It could be.. it should be.. but microsoft is notorious for screwing up simple things. Plus they would have to pay royalties to Sony... their competitor. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something crazy like stayed with dvd and/or went mostly digital distribution.

Since no new console has been announce, it would be impossible to prove the next Xbox will have blu-ray. However, I can't imagine they won't. This generation, it made sense to skip it, it made consoles cheaper and put Xbox in the lead. Now that it's coming near its end of life, games are getting bigger and I can't see a scenario where next gen won't need a bigger disc.

I don't see them using flash memory, because it would be too easy to copy and leave open a wide door for authentication spoofing. They might choose to revive HD-DVD, that would surely help cut down on piracy, but it would also lose the appeal of users being able to play blu-rays.
Reviving HD DVD would cut down on piracy no doubt about it but I don't think they will do it. I would LOVE it I have about 100 HD DVD's still :D

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

etos45

Post by etos45 »

betterthanezra wrote:Reviving HD DVD would cut down on piracy no doubt about it but I don't think they will do it. I would LOVE it I have about 100 HD DVD's still :D

-Brian
:lol: I'm just curious if it's possible to have a drive that would read DVDs, Blu-Rays, and HD-DVDs. I just seem to remember that MS invested a good bit in the HD-DVD format, so this would be a great way to cash that in.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

etos45 wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:Reviving HD DVD would cut down on piracy no doubt about it but I don't think they will do it. I would LOVE it I have about 100 HD DVD's still :D

-Brian
:lol: I'm just curious if it's possible to have a drive that would read DVDs, Blu-Rays, and HD-DVDs. I just seem to remember that MS invested a good bit in the HD-DVD format, so this would be a great way to cash that in.
The XBOX360 has an additional hard drive that is removable, yes? It should be possible to put just about anything in there, and with a hard drive in the first place, and a version of Windows-unless I'm mistaken-couldn't you theoretically just download/install any software you wanted, in order to meet your needs?

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

etos45 wrote:

-Brian
I don't think so but I have a duel player that plays all three formats. LG BH200 once HD DVD was done i got it from a Best buy for close to nothing and just a fraction of the $1000 MSRP

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here