Retro Gamers here on the Valiant forums?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Retro Gamers here on the Valiant forums?

Post by manga4life »

So, do we have any retro video game fans and/or players here on the Valiant boards? Personally, I'm a huge retro gamer and have quite a collection of games from the Atari 2600 through the Nintendo 64, beyond that I kind of faced off from gaming aside from my Xbox 360, I literally skipped the era that came after the PS1/N64....

At the moment I've been playing tons of Star Tropics for the NES and I've also been playing tons of Adventure Island, both games I've discovered son what decently having never played them before even though I was aware of their existence back in the day when the NES was still being sold. I'm also on and off playing a lot of Tekken 3 for the PS1 and Parasite Eve for the PS1, both games I enjoyed a lot back in the late 90's and still to this day.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Retro Gamers here on the Valiant forums?

Post by Chiclo »

I was more interested in the hardware than the games as a kid. I picked up lots of old systems at garage sales and now I have been thinking about selling them. I even had a working 32X.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:I was more interested in the hardware than the games as a kid. I picked up lots of old systems at garage sales and now I have been thinking about selling them. I even had a working 32X.
What do you have? I may be interested in purchasing some of them. I'm a big retro gamer. Have a room with an SNES, Genesis, N64, etc hooked up to a CRT tv for authenticity.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I wouldn't say I'm a huge retro-gamer, but the temptation is there... I still have my SNES, with a small handful of games. In fact, I just got Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past in my Xmas stocking, which was awesome as I loved it so much back in the day...

I also recovered my old NES from my mothers basement at Xmas... All the games I had were gone except for one hiding inside the machine; Xevious!! I may start keeping an eye out for classic NES games I used to have... I had the urge to find & play Faxanadu the other day.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:I was more interested in the hardware than the games as a kid. I picked up lots of old systems at garage sales and now I have been thinking about selling them. I even had a working 32X.
What do you have? I may be interested in purchasing some of them. I'm a big retro gamer. Have a room with an SNES, Genesis, N64, etc hooked up to a CRT tv for authenticity.
Oh man, what don't I have? At least 3 Vic 20s, a Commodore 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega CD (both the one that sits under the Genesis and the one that sits beside it), 32X, Sega Saturn, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, Game Boy, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, Game Genies for NES, SNES, Game Boy and Genesis, the Game Boy adaptor they made for SNES (Super Game Boy?), TI-99, Turbo Grafx 16, a really old Pong system and there is more, I just can't think of them all.

I want to sell these locally, though. I don't want to have to mail them.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Touchdown! Bo Jackson!

TECMO SUPER BOWL (and dirty Raiders) super-fan here! :D
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Oh man, what don't I have? At least 3 Vic 20s, a Commodore 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega CD (both the one that sits under the Genesis and the one that sits beside it), 32X, Sega Saturn, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, Game Boy, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, Game Genies for NES, SNES, Game Boy and Genesis, the Game Boy adaptor they made for SNES (Super Game Boy?), TI-99, Turbo Grafx 16, a really old Pong system and there is more, I just can't think of them all.

I want to sell these locally, though. I don't want to have to mail them.
Isn't Texas big enough that it's local to everywhere?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I wouldn't call myself a retro gamer - quite the opposite. But I was terrifyingly obsessed with the old Infocom text adventure games - Planetfall, Zork, Deadline, and the like.

A CD was released in the mid-90's with all of the games on it. I've played many of them, and they still hold up.

Ahhhh.....
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I got the retro bug about 10 years ago and bought a coleciovison and
A bunch of games. I loved it. (But later sold it)

Over the break my wife and I played joust and robotron.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

ShadowTuga wrote:Touchdown! Bo Jackson!

TECMO SUPER BOWL (and dirty Raiders) super-fan here! :D
Bo Jackson on Tecmo Bowl is the best sports video game player ever.
Jeremy roenick on EA NHL is sorta close, but Bo is amazing.

Btw, I do have Tecmo Bowl on my Wii (and super Mario 2 and 3 also)

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

In addition to all the NES/SNES fun I mentioned in a post earlier, I got Doom 3 the BFG Edition for Xmas. It has the original Doom & Doom II on it, which I have been enjoying blasting through immensely!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

I love old games, but I'm very particular about what I play and how.

I love the multiple Mega Man series, for example.

I emulate most old sytems on my Mac Mini, which is hooked up to a 47'' 1080p. The Mac has Bluetooth, so I actually use a Playstation 3 wireless controller to play. So good.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I guess I am a retired retro collector. Gamer would imply that I actually "play" the games, which I just haven't had time to do. I was hardcore collecting until about a year ago when I got most of the last few I was looking for.

I picked up ducktales 2, chip n dale 2 for nes and AVP for atari jaguar.

Dragon warrior 2-4 for nes are top of my "get around to finally playing" list.

I'm at about 180+ games for 15+ systems. Looking forward to playing them in about 25 years when I retire. :? :(
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

Aram wrote:I guess I am a retired retro collector. Gamer would imply that I actually "play" the games, which I just haven't had time to do. I was hardcore collecting until about a year ago when I got most of the last few I was looking for.

I picked up ducktales 2, chip n dale 2 for nes and AVP for atari jaguar.

I'm at about 180+ games for 15+ systems. Looking forward to playing them in about 25 years when I retire. :? :(
Dragon Warrior/Quest is one of my favorite series. I wouldn't bother playing the NES versions, though: all of those have had solid remakes in the past decade or so. Not just trivial polish, either. Having to tell the game to interact or examine something through the menu is super-obnoxious.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I used to be far more into retro gaming than I am now, mostly because as a kid it was far cheaper than owning the newest console (or buying games for it--my brother bought an N64 when they first came out, but we seriously had maybe three games for it for the next three or four years because they were so expensive). I collected a ton of NES and SNES games over the years, and then later N64 too when that system became "obsolete" in the wake of PS2, Gamecube, etc. Also when I finally got a computer when I was 12 or so, I got pretty heavily into emulated NES, SNES, and Genesis games. Suddenly I had access to all the RPGs I had been looking for for years and years at yard sales, all in a few minutes time (this was back when downloading a 10 MB SNES game was a big deal since it was on dial-up, but anyway). Seriously, the only way as a kid I could play the harder to find RPGs like Final Fantasy VI (then called FFIII) and Chrono Trigger was either by renting them, OR, when I finally got a computer, pirating them. You couldn't buy them in stores anymore at that point, and the only other way was to stumble across them at a used electronics store or yard sale staffed by ignorant people who didn't know their value (at least, their value decreed by eBay), or, pay outrageous prices on eBay for legitimate copies (Chrono Trigger, FFVI, et al still sell for ridiculous prices like a hundred dollars, despite not actually being "rare" in the way that some games, like Earthbound, legitimately are). I remember being excited when I finally found the original Final Fantasy at at yard sale for a couple of bucks--only for Squaresoft to make a remake of it in 2000 called Final Fantasy Origins for the PS1 (yes, I bought it...).

Even as late as 2001 I had just bought a Playstation 1 and was getting pretty heavily into its back catalog of RPGs like Final Fantasy VII-IX and Final Fantasy Tactics (FFT is still my second favorite RPG of all time, somehow outweighing even games like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Breath of Fire II, Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, etc. which are all phenomenal games. My favorite RPG of all time is Mother 3, though, but I don't have a legitimate copy of that one, for obvious reasons).

However, I finally caught up with the current gen in 2002 when someone sold me their used PS2 for a hundred dollars (and stupidly left GTA: Vice City in the disc tray). I was still pretty heavily into retro games, both legitimate and emulated, for a few years after that, but I slowly started spending more and more time on the then current-gen games. Of course, the PS3 debuted at such a ridiculous price that I kind of became a retro gamer again since I spent most of the time between 2002 and 2011 building up a PS2 and Gamecube collection and playing those (and PC games) for the most part.

But in 2011 Black Friday I finally got a PS3, I've been spending most of my time playing games for it. However, since PS4 will soon be coming out, I'll probably again be behind the times and building up a PS3 collection for the next six or seven years...

EDIT: By the way, as far as selling games go, I'm pretty attached to the ones that are actually good, so it's hard to sell them. I could get pretty easily get 200 bucks for my copy of Earthbound right now (that I got for 7 dollars at a used electronics store in 1998 or something), but it's so inextricably tied up with fond memories of mine that I can't stand the thought of selling it to somebody who won't love it the way I do. But it is true that I will probably never dig my SNES out and pop it in to play--it's just so much easier to bring it up in an emulator. If they ever finally port the GBA port to America I will have even less reason to own the SNES copy. And who couldn't use an extra 200 bucks? But...alas. I'm just too in love with Earthbound, I guess.
Dragon Warrior III for NES was probably the first RPG I legitimately beat when I was just a kid, so of course when we got the internet "Archfiend Baramos" became my internet handle. I've used it ever since in some form or other on most sites I use.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Is it retro is you own an Atari 2600 and a million games, but never actually stopped playing? lol OG Gamer sounds more fitting.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Broke out my Colecovision a few months ago to play some donkey kong, just like I remembered it!
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Is Colecovision better than Atari at arcade ports? I know the main thing that always kept me from getting into stuff earlier than the NES is the Atari supposedly had very poor arcade ports, and that's the one I always see at yard sales. If Colecovision has good ports of Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc. I might look into finding one for sale somewhere.