Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Tommorow Mircosoft will reveal...

Post by Cyberstrike »

...the next version of Xbox, it will be streamed live on Xbox Live and Spike TV will air the reveal as well. It will be revealed at 1:00 PM EST/10:00 AM PT
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Mon May 20, 2013 6:01:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re: Tommorow Mircosoft will reveal...

Post by iwantvaliant »

Unless the current Xboxes revolt because they don't want to be replaced.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:Unless the current Xboxes revolt because they don't want to be replaced.

Rise of the Xboxes?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Excited to see what the new system will do.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I really think the home console video game system has lost its relevance. The Wii U has been a flop so far, even though it's a very innovative and fun system. I got one for Christmas, and really enjoy it. But there are several developers that literally have just written the system off.

The prices for Microsoft's and Sony's new consoles will be prohibitive, and I really think they will suffer from people sticking with the current gen consoles. There's really not much to go in terms of graphics, controller input tech, etc. The first time ever, I'm not even looking forward to what Microsoft and Sony are going to put out.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm interested otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. :P
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

lorddunlow wrote:I really think the home console video game system has lost its relevance. The Wii U has been a flop so far, even though it's a very innovative and fun system. I got one for Christmas, and really enjoy it. But there are several developers that literally have just written the system off.
I was afraid something like this would happen whenever Nintendo announced it's new system last year. I think they should have waited and tried to compete with the specs that the new gen games will be putting out. Basically they are going to be behind again when the other two systems roll out and will lose a lot of the hardcore gamers (once again). For the sake of Nintendo, I hope they know what they are doing. It sure doesn't look that way though.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The name is: Xbox One. It is being touted as the ultimate "all-in-one" box for games, TV, movies, and music.

Xbox Live will use the new Kinect sensor for voice and motion control of the dashboard and you Skype with friends while watching movies, surfing the net, you can update your fantasy league teams in real time. The achivements will get upgraded showing how you played not just what you played. You can video capture and edit videos from games and post them online. You can switch from playing games to watching a movie, TV show, to listening music with little or no lag time.

EA showed off their new sports game engine with new NBA, UFC, FIFA, and Madden games, the UFC looked great the others were OK.

Remedy Studios showed off Quantum Break a game that looks pretty interesting.

Forza Motorsport 5 looks cool.

Activision shows off Call of Duty: Ghosts and damn it looks impressive. IMHO Best of show.

Microsoft announced a partnership with the NFL for exclusive content.

Halo: The Television Series was announced with Steven Spielberg as executive producer.

With 15 launch titles with 8 being all new IPs for Xbox One.

The release date: later this year. That's Microsoft's words not mine.

More info to be released at E3 which seemed to be the trend of the show.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So the most disappointing/scary aspect of the Xbox One, is the requirement for constant Internet connection and inability to disconnect or turn off the Kinect camera/mic. Microsoft will literally be able to see/hear everything that goes on while the system is in use. You can guarantee they'll be cataloging that stuff ala Google voice search. That's not okay in my opinion. I definitely will never have one of these devices in my home until/unless there is a way to disable this "feature" (officially or unofficially).

I have admittedly given Google way too much private info, but they provide quite the service, for no cost other than my privacy. They allow me to opt out if I want - just with limited utility of their services. Microsoft will be charging through the nose for the ability to spy on you. For almost no service in return. And no opting out. No thanks.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Personally, I'm not really interested in the all of the non gaming aspects of the new Xbox. Some of the features are slick, but not necessary. All of these extras are basically going to drive the price of the machine up.

Also, they need to pick better suited people to do the presentations. I thought most were incredibly boring and came across more as sales people instead of genuine enthusiasts. Plus, I was hoping to see more footage of the upcoming games. The two that they showed were not nearly enough for an hour long unveiling. Glad I recorded it on the DVR so I could skip through the all of the fluff...

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I didn't think anything could be more underwhelming than the PS4 press conference...but this was seriously the worst announcement for a new console I have ever seen, and the PS4 press conference didn't even have a console at it.

As someone who just finally got into the current gen in 2011 when I bought a PS3 on Black Friday, I am incredibly underwhelmed by these next gen consoles, especially when their emphasis has been so far removed from what is supposed to be their primary function, playing games. For some reason all the XBOX One presenters could seem to talk about was how you could use it to watch television and Netflix. YOU CAN ALREADY DO THAT.

I don't even want to get into the actual gameplay aspects of it because they are so dire. Every game has to be fully installed on the hard drive, making disc-based games pointless and the entire console basically a glorified budget PC, I guess. The always-on internet connectivity/DRM is really stupid--the entire point of consoles is to avoid that kind of always-on nonsense that has been plaguing PC gaming for the past couple of years. The thing with the Kinect watching you watch the XBOX is really creepy and stupid. And finally the fact that they seem to want to kill off the used games industry is one more idiotic thing they're coming up with.

All of that, and the graphics BARELY LOOK ANY BETTER. In past console generations the driving force in the release of a new console was that each time it represented a huge leap in graphical power a huge leap in the types of gameplay allowable by the increase in processing power. Just look at the stride made from the NES to the SNES/Genesis to the N64/PS1 to the Gamecube/XBOX/PS2 to the current gen. Remember when the Dreamcast was 128 bit and that was FREAKING EXCITING and MIND BLOWING?! Suddenly we had huge open world action games and fully-3D cinematic RPGs and racing games like Gran Turismo that looked like real life.

This new generations driving force seems to be marketing decisions handed down by executives displeased with their current profit margin, executives who don't even want to make a gaming machine anymore but instead want to make money off of Netflix licensing and TV shows based on Halo. It's dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

All these things make me want to do is just dig out my SNES and play Super Mario World or Contra III or Mega Man X or something. Back when gameplay and level design was king.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

+1 to everything Baramos just said above.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

At least they have clarified that a game won't have an "activation fee" if someone else buys it when you decide to sell or trade it in.

I think that would have been a system killer right there and they knew it.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Daniel Jackson wrote:At least they have clarified that a game won't have an "activation fee" if someone else buys it when you decide to sell or trade it in.

I think that would have been a system killer right there and they knew it.
No, they just killed the used game market. Which will bite them in the butt. It would be akin to a comic publisher making the LCS pay a portion of their back issue sales to them.

They lack the foresight of this move. I see this generation of consoles as the last.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

In my mind, Sony should look at all of this, and add all of it to their upcoming system.

(Apple should, as well - if they are really ever developing their iTV.)
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kevinbastos wrote:In my mind, Sony should look at all of this, and add all of it to their upcoming system.

(Apple should, as well - if they are really ever developing their iTV.)
I spent $200 on a low-profile (very slick looking as well) HTPC setup. It runs Win7 and XBMC. It can do anything these "next-generation" consoles can do, and then some. It also uses magnitudes less power, and I can access it remotely, and also I can use it for normal PC productivity uses (if I chose to do so). All of these "new features" are just ideas ripped mainly from XBMC, but also Google TV (miserable failure that it is), and Apple, Roku, every blu ray player on the market, etc., etc.

I'm also not stuck using proprietary peripherals that cost an arm and a leg. I actually use my PS3 controllers for games on my HTPC. I can control it with a keyboard and mouse, my phone, my Nook, or a simple remote.

Don't get me wrong - I love consoles. I prefer playing games on consoles. I just think that for hardcore gaming, PS3 and XBox 360 are the pinnacle of achievement - near perfection. They just need tweaking (via software - not new hardware). The Wii is the pinnacle of the casual consumer console - it's just plain fun and super accessible. The Wii U will likely have staying power - it's innovative and brings functionality that people are becoming accustomed to with all the touch screen crap we all love nowadays. As the casual consumer goes to buy a console, they will likely grab the Wii U, but as long as the Wii is available and cheaper, it will suffer. But eventually it will be the console that "everyone" has - if Nintendo doesn't dump it first.

I am not interested in anything announced about either the PS4 or the Xbox One. I see the PS3 and Xbox 360 holding the title of king of the man cave for many more years. Only the "gotta have it now" group will be getting these.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Also, sort of related to this thread (but I have really hijacked it), I received my OUYA in the mail this weekend. It's really cool. Not fully baked, as this was a Kickstarter project, the early backers received a "late beta test" version of the retail product that will release next month. The software has lots to desire at this point, but I can run almost any Android app on it in addition to its native apps. I already have another XBMC box thanks to installing that app onto it, and many emulators, games, etc. This is a completely open home console. It's about 3 inches square, and uses almost no power to run. It's instant on (just like a phone or tablet), and ultimately hackable - both software and hardware.

It is the antithesis to Xbox One which ignored the indie devs, bleeds the consumer dry in any way possible, and gives you no control over your own device.

This is the future of console gaming, although I'm afraid the OUYA itself may be outdone by an imitator in the near future, as there are quite a few kinks in the current hardware and software. It's fun to play with, and I can't wait until devs get some custom software running on this bad boy. It's so small - the controller is about 50% bigger than the console.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Actually, I have question: the OUYA runs on Android, is it "jailbroken", i.e., can I use it to run emulators?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

The OUYA is designed from the ground up to be totally open and totally hackable. I already have the major emulators running on it without rooting yet. It has already been rooted, but current root doesn't survive OTA updates and right now they're sending OTAs out every few days (ironing out the truly beta software), so I'm waiting for a one click method and a custom recovery to be polished (it's in beta stages right now). The hardware is easily accessible as well. They even released templates so you can 3D print your own custom case if you wanted to. They are making their source for everything available to devs to tweak. It has awesome potential.

It's not a powerhouse, but a Tegra 3 is great for most uses, especially considering it's overclocked and can run better since you don't have to worry about depleting a battery like you do with a tablet running the same processor.

It's everything I wanted, as I love to tinker and hack Android devices, and this is more powerful than any Android device you could buy for $99 and it comes with a bluetooth controller.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I've heard of the OUYA and it sounds excellent. I'm not getting an XBox One. I will be getting a PS4, and when I purchase it, I will remind myself this is in large part a middle finger to the arrogance and lack of respect Microsoft has shown consumers. I'm beyond chuffed that the Wii-U got a boost. On that note, I remain convinced that the Wii-U isn't all Nintendo has for this generation. I see it sort of like the Wii version of the 3DS. I could be wrong, but something tells me we'll see another console from Nintendo within 2 years.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

lorddunlow wrote:Also, sort of related to this thread (but I have really hijacked it), I received my OUYA in the mail this weekend. It's really cool. Not fully baked, as this was a Kickstarter project, the early backers received a "late beta test" version of the retail product that will release next month. The software has lots to desire at this point, but I can run almost any Android app on it in addition to its native apps. I already have another XBMC box thanks to installing that app onto it, and many emulators, games, etc. This is a completely open home console. It's about 3 inches square, and uses almost no power to run. It's instant on (just like a phone or tablet), and ultimately hackable - both software and hardware.

It is the antithesis to Xbox One which ignored the indie devs, bleeds the consumer dry in any way possible, and gives you no control over your own device.

This is the future of console gaming, although I'm afraid the OUYA itself may be outdone by an imitator in the near future, as there are quite a few kinks in the current hardware and software. It's fun to play with, and I can't wait until devs get some custom software running on this bad boy. It's so small - the controller is about 50% bigger than the console.
I was very very wrong. Consoles are still king, and this device has zero active development. Even rumors of being bought out by Razer...

facepalm

My Ouya is gathering dust - the controllers are garbage. I don't think my even works now...

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Also, sort of related to this thread (but I have really hijacked it), I received my OUYA in the mail this weekend. It's really cool. Not fully baked, as this was a Kickstarter project, the early backers received a "late beta test" version of the retail product that will release next month. The software has lots to desire at this point, but I can run almost any Android app on it in addition to its native apps. I already have another XBMC box thanks to installing that app onto it, and many emulators, games, etc. This is a completely open home console. It's about 3 inches square, and uses almost no power to run. It's instant on (just like a phone or tablet), and ultimately hackable - both software and hardware.

I was very very wrong. Consoles are still king, and this device has zero active development. Even rumors of being bought out by Razer...

facepalm

My Ouya is gathering dust - the controllers are garbage. I don't think my even works now...
I'd researched the Ouya and wanted for while. Had they been available on Target shelves when they were in Canada I'd of probably bought one. I like the idea of a small android based game console. Not as a big league replacement but as an add on kind of thing.