GTA 5

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
GTA 5

Post by betterthanezra »

I bought GTA 5 because it's something I thought I might like and so far i'm not so sure...

That's what I get for trying something without playing any of the other games in the franchise.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
Re: GTA 5

Post by MarrowMan »

haha lol. Yeah GTa isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I'm trying reeeeally hard to fight the urge to buy this game - I have too much work to do, this would absolutely suck me in for days & days & days...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I love it.

I feel like it fixed all the complaints about the gameplay from GTA 4 (the car controls especially), tightened up the shooting (feels very tight, like Red Dead Redemption but even better), great new weapons (much better selection than GTA 4 which was very much about a basic array of weapons, at least in the regular, non-expanded game) and basically expanded on every aspect of an open world game I could expect. It's pretty amazing. I also like the characterization of the three main characters--Michael is very interesting especially, it's cool that we get to see a few sessions with his psychiatrist and stuff, haha. I think the fact that he already "made it" and retired to a mansion and a dysfunctional family but is now forced to get back into the heist game (and the heists are REALLY fun, by the way) is an interesting new twist on an old formula

Franklin is much more like the traditional GTA "rags to riches" storyline. I thought it was going to be a new retelling of the CJ storyline from San Andreas but instead we see that Franklin very much is disgusted with the gang life and sees it as an absolute dead end, where you either end up in jail or get killed, and wants to escape it. He ends up seeing Michael as a mentor who can get him out of that world.

Trevor is just insane. I felt like I was playing Vice City again. He's definitely in the mold of Tommy Vercetti. I like that they finally reintegrated the rampages into the game (Trevor has rampages as side-missions much like Franklin has street races). The character is just hilarious and nutso.

I like that each character has a special ability. I like pretty much everything about it, really. Even the soundtrack is pretty good, better than GTA 4's. It's not quite San Andreas or Vice City level but it's close. I'm disappointed there's not a single Supertramp song on it ("Gone Hollywood" or "Breakfast in America" NEEDED to be in this game), but still, very pleased.

I've had a lot of work to do as well, I've mostly been playing it on the weekends. It's been keeping me up pretty late.

GTA Online is pretty fun. It's not exactly what I expected. I expected it to be more like an MMO, but it's still only 16 players in any given instance like GTA 4 was. However, there are WAY more things to do in the open world, it's much more like Red Dead Redemption that way. I'm annoyed that you can't respray higher-end cars, though. I guess they want people to play the game to get them (you have to buy them), if you steal them you constantly have a one-star wanted level because you can't respray them. I guess they didn't want people just going and stealing the lamborghinis or ferraris first thing for their personal vehicle.

If enough of you guys get it maybe we can make a Valiant fans crew on GTA Online. They did that over at the AV Club.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing about the three characters aspect--I feel like it helped keep the game expansive. In the original San Andreas, you basically spend a large amount of time in each particular section of the map (Los Santos, countryside, San Ferrero, the desert, and then Las Venturas) and then never really go back to those sections of the map, whereas in this game, Michael and Franklin missions mostly happen in the city and most of the missions with Trevor, especially early on, happen in the countryside, so you feel like you're getting a broader array of mission-types throughout the game.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I just picked it up yesterday and i've been LOVING it.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

It's funny I was on the fence about it and now after spending some time with the game I find myself playing it more and more...

Fun stuff

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I was just screwing around with the jet skis for the first time and I got eaten by a shark, that was AWESOME.

I love driving around all crazy in Trevor's dune buggy.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

betterthanezra wrote:It's funny I was on the fence about it and now after spending some time with the game I find myself playing it more and more...

Fun stuff

-Brian
I have found so far that this game really grows on me over time. When I first got home with it, I really didn't like it... I think it starts off waaaaaay too slow. Now, I enjoy it a lot. I think the driving mechanics and aiming is much better than previous versions which makes the missions much easier to complete. I also like that some of the missions have different ways you can go about completing them.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

There is a trophy for getting eaten by the shark btw

PSN- gorakthebunny

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Once you get a knife you can potentially knife one while diving (spoilers, there is scuba gear later on), I have the feeling you are pretty likely to get eaten though, it seems like it must take really good timing. I'll have to try it sometime but most of the time I've been able to get back to my boat before they catch me.

I've only gotten eaten by a mountain lion once. They're even deadlier than in RDR, they basically kill you instantly by grabbing your neck, whereas in Red Dead Redemption it took the lion two blows to kill you.

The heists really are fun, and the fact that they have two options for most of them is cool, as mentioned.

I finally beat the main storyline yesterday. Quite an adventure.

NinJZA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: Magnus RF vs. Predator
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by NinJZA »

Anyone on valiantfans.com still play GTA online? Been looking to get back into it, but haven't played since they implemented heists.