Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Cary Nord
Dark Souls

Post by spiderland »

Any Sunbros or Darkwraiths on the board?

The sequel to the greatest video game of all time is just over a week away!
Plastic & Wire is my Art & Comics blog.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Re: Dark Souls

Post by Baramos »

I'm unfortunately about 1/2 way through Demon's Souls...and been that way for over a year, I think. It's a little too nerve wracking for me. I'm stuck on the Maneaters as well who are pretty tough without taking advantage of glitches (the only way I beat the fire demon was taking advantage of a glitch that allowed me to attack him from behind a column).

That said I will hopefully at least get into Dark Souls eventually.

spiderland
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by spiderland »

Hey Baramos!

I personally slogged through Demon's Souls recently after completing Dark Souls many times. That Maneater fight is no joke! I did manage to finish the game but I haven't played it over & over for several hundreds of hours as I have Dark Souls. There are aspects of Demon's Souls I actually prefer over Dark, but overall Dark Souls is definitely a superior game.

I would almost recommend skipping both Dark Souls 1 & Demon's Souls and giving #2, which comes out TOMORROW (AHHH!!!) a fair try. It really seems like the developers have gone to extreme lengths to preserve the rewarding challenge and grandeur of the game while making it more intuitive and easy to understand, especially in the beginning. It also looks bloody fantastic.

Plastic & Wire is my Art & Comics blog.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

I will probably inevitably pick up Dark Souls regardless of how far along I get on Demon's Souls. Did they do an "ultimate edition" of that with all the DLC? (assuming it had DLC)

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

I started playing this a few days ago, got the remastered version on XBox on the cheap so I thought I'd give it a try. While I'm not a Gamer I do love some well built fantasy worlds, and this one is remarkable in the visuals and "feel" of the setting. Just unique and that's why I am trying the game(s). I could not care less if its a game that is super hard to beat and only "a few hundred thousand chosen" have made it. I do not care at all about that stuff since... puberty? :?
And I'm only trying this because I finished The Witcher 3 in the hardest difficulty, so "maybe I can play Dark Souls and not suck forever?".

Well... I only managed to escape the Asylum thanks to a bit of internet help (Firebombs on his butt), after 2 hours or so. facepalm
For anyone who doesn't know, that's the *SQUEE* tutorial. The "learning" bit of the game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is *SQUEE* insane. I get that I do have to think before I take a step in any direction, and I love this aspect of it, but at the same time I am not sure I am good enough to actually finish this. I would LOVE to see more of this setting and the mystery of it is definitely addictive, but damn... i will have to offer at least 100 hours of my life to the gaming gods, it seems.

Big Plus for the feature that lets you leave online messages for other players and the bloodstain mechanic- this is a genius bit of gaming, in all seriousness. I never saw anything like it.

EDIT - 14 hours into it. While this is the game that took me the longest to just get the basics of it, I still feel like I'm a noob. Great stuff, but NOT for everyone, for sure. This is... another level of games. I never seen anything remotely like this, both in its presentation and gameplay.
The lore is really captivating (and the mystery of it definitely adds to the appeal) and its what drives me back, after god knows how many "You Died" screens. That and masochism? :?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

If anyone is playing DS on XBox one, you can PM me and I'll give you a hand wherever you need.

Because f´ck Orsnstein & Smough, in their stupid butts. I lost 2 days of my life dying to these 2. Grinding Sentinels and Silver Knights, level up, try, die. Repeat. Supid aholes. The despair is not to be underated.
But beating them solo (no summons, no Solaire) on my first ng, made me feel stuff I never felt in a videogame. I felt worthy of this game, stupid and crazy as it may sound. :lol:

I finished it last week, currently on NG+ and another NG with another character. My main dude is now rocking the Artorias gear and Abyss Sword+5, while my newbie is a rolling Velka fanatic swordsman who is about to meet the above mentioned buttheads. I am going to get hammered or speared 100x times per hour, guaranteed.

As a sort of review and analogy.
I felt in love and finally married the girl, but she suprise-kicked me in the nuts every hour I was with her.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

So... anyone still playing/wanting to play Souls games and checking these parts of the woods? :P
If so, you might be a wee bit interested in my testimony, even if it comes from a basic newb to the series.

Its Jan. 22 and I am on the last fog gate before Soul of Cinder. Meaning, I finished DS1, DS2 and am about to Link or Put Down :? the Fire for the 3rd time. I have a lot of free time currently, thanks to part-timing a job and with a band on semi-vacation before studio work, otherwise I would not have finished these games in less than 3 months. I can imagine many, MANY people not finishing these games for years, honestly. If you don't put the time, you won't do it, unless you're a Matrix-style gifted gamer. These things are hard, and in places, pretty much "impossible at first sight", as I feel it, everytime I get into a boss fight with the likes of - previously mentioned- Ornstein & Smough, The Pursuer, Smelter Demon or - the last headache guys- the Abyss Watchers and that. f*cking. Aldrich biatch. I can easily understand why so many people give up midway.

But.

I never felt this rush in any game, not even close. Dark Souls games are a test to the patience of the player and then some. There are times when, yeah, the first instinct is to throw the controller to the screen and call it a night. But if you stick to your guns, pay ATTENTION and are PATIENT - there were bosses where I died at least 30 times, some of them deaths I was a flick on the forehead away of victory... hurts, man) you start to see that "Matrix". And one night, that huge Dragon that made you all nervous and messed up when you first saw it, goes down like a little wimp, and you feel like you actually achieved a gaming high. Its amazing.

As for a non-review-just-my-thoughts thing:
DS1 was my first game of the series and that made it the hardest, of course. Its my favourite of them, certainly one game that enters my fav top. I already taked about it in the post above.

DS2 is awesome, awesome, awesome until it drops the quality a bit into the late game. Too many bosses had the "2 guys instead of 1" trick, with one DLC fight where you have to go against 3 different characters. A fw of he big guys were really hard while others I did them on my first try, and some of them kinda easily, which should not be something you do in a Souls game. Its also loooooooooong and huuuuuuuuge and while this makes it ripe for a new playthrough, since it gives you so many content, it can "bore" the players a bit, I can Imagine. I also hated one partcular thing about the last boss fight, had to go and get a certain item in order to be able to finish the game. That sucked, honestly. But while being the weakes link of the 3 games, its not by any means a bad game. Its just not as good and kinda unbalanced when compared to the first one, specially.

DS3 has been amazing and some of the coolest boss fights in the series are here, e.g. the Abyss Watchers. I am a little sad the series is near its ending to me - I still have to finish 2 of DS2's DLCs and the ones for this game but you get my meaning- and I sort of envy the people who will experience these games for the first time. Nothing in videogames, NOTHING I say with all my heart, can even begin to compare to what you feel in your first 5 or 6 hours of a Souls game if you "get it". Its an amazing journey, and you will feel great if you just keep your chin up, learn to dodge on time and of course, Praise the Sun. \`[- -] /
Yamamoto Tsunetomo